Gear Cheap, Easy to Make Kief Sifter

Bouldorado

Hey FC,

Here's a guide that might help some of you out. Originally posted on a different site, but it should have some use here as well.

If you're looking for a quick, cheap kief sifting solution, this is it. This sifter can be made in 10 min w/ common household materials, using no glue or toxic materials.

You'll need:

1) Mason jar (wide mouth preferred)
2) Lid (two part lid ideal)
3) Screen
4) Exacto knife
5) Scissors

Steps:

1) If you're fortunate enough to have a two piece lid, you can skip this step, as the work is done for you. Otherwise, take the mason jar lid and cut the middle out with the knife, leaving ~1/4" margin. If you want to make more than one of these, it's recommended you buy some two-piece lids, to save yourself a lot of cutting.

2) Cut your screen w/ scissors to match the inside lid diameter.

3) Insert your screen, screw on the lid, and your kief box is now ready to use. Sift over a large glass dish or clean table. Scrape it up and you have perfect base material for edible or hash making.
smile.gif

Finished product looks like this:
Kief%2520sifter.jpg

From one oz of quality trim, using dry ice in the sifter:
P1000945.JPG

Notes on screens and use:

The coarseness of your screen is relative to the quality of product. Use (obviously) finer screen for higher quality and lower yield, and coarser screen for lower quality and higher yield. Personally, I prefer to maximize yield, and thus use a screen w/ 100 lines per inch. If you want different grades of kief, rerun the kief through a finer mesh. Mesh screens are commonly sourced from a local hardware store. Use this chart to convert LPI to a micron rating.

attachment.php

And regarding use:

Kief yield increases greatly if the plant material is frozen first. So before sifting, simply put your trim/buds/shake in the freezer for a couple hours. Additionally, if you don't have time to freeze, you can put dry ice in the sifter. I prefer to use to dry ice as it seems to yield slightly more, but it is an additional expense.

onigiri1692

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I will most likely build one of these the next time I have dry ice on hand.

onigiri1692,
Top Bottom