Ceramic Club

farscaper

The title is self explanatory, this is a thread for discussing ceramic concentrate accessories.

Please feel free to share your opinions, feelings & observations here for those looking into specifically ceramic concentrate equipment.

Please also direct any questions pertaining to ceramic concentrate tools to this thread.

so, got my ceramic nail last night and wow is it different. think quartz is difficult to gauge try ceramic.

I actually used mine without even seasoning it and my only trouble was getting it hot enough.

although I did notice that the flame will turn orange as you heat the nail to hot.

well the ball has been rolled, lets keep it going. I will post a pic of mine later.

DubCRider

Not a fan, 7 dabs in and mine cracked. It's still one piece but it's gonna crack off any day now. Spend twice as much for a Ti nail and it will last you forever.

DubCRider,

farscaper

Not a fan, 7 dabs in and mine cracked. It's still one piece but it's gonna crack off any day now. Spend twice as much for a Ti nail and it will last you forever.
what brand or rather where did you get your?
was the fact that it cracked your only complaint or did taste or any other function faulter in your opinion?

I only paid 16 bucks I think for mine. it was an academic purchase. cant say anything til you try it right?

farscaper,
Reactions: Caligula

farscaper

I got mine here, but read the page before spontaneously ordering. he is traveling and will not be able to ship for some time. guess I lucked out getting mine just before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231222771622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
but there are others available on ebay too.
I have this kind:
$_1.JPG

idk if they have them to fit inside 14mm male fittings but I know I saw one for 18mm male.

1st observation about its heat retention and dissipation. this one seems to allow heating to dab temp while holding the lower joint, but after a minute of sitting this area will reach a thermal equilibrium with the upper head. and it remains rather warm for some time... this nail is fucking overkill for my size dabs so I would be interested in trying one with a smaller head... maybe pass this along, idk. but the flavor was spot on...

I think we can agree that flavor is completely unimpeded by the flavor of the nail itself... so its definitely ceramic!

hishighness

There's another thread on ceramic nails over here, can read a few of our experiences.

@DubCRider if your nail broke in the first 10 dabs either you got a piece of shit nail or you heated it incorrectly - I'm inclined to think it's the latter. If you ever hold the torch in one spot for more than a second or two, you fucked up.

The tip of the light blue triangle [edit for clarity: zone B] is the hottest part of a flame (and what I use to heat titanium) - I use the tip of entire dark blue flame [zone A] and move around in a circle either on the top of the cap or from underneath when using ceramic. Heating from the side makes it more prone to fracture especially if you always heat the same side.

Edit: Oh yeah @Stiggy I would definitely suggest picking up from domeless.com. You can read more about why in the other thread but basically that guy is just chill as fuck and has excellent customer support. Domeless.com nail works on 14/18 M/F joints whereas the Hive Ceramic nail only works on male joints and is more expensive. Also the domeless.com is 2 parts so you can replace the cap without buying an entirely new piece (Hive is going to release one like this too but still more expensive)

Last edited:

dwc3232

I've got a $30 ceramic domeless from MLHS branded "famous" that I've beat the tar our of the last three weeks or so since I lent my tipower out to someone. I got my tipower back today, and have been using it all day. After three weeks with my ceramic, I love it. It's great for a little on the go piece like it was on. Cools well, fairly sturdy. You can't fuck with it, can't beat on it, but other then that, I've wailed on this thing with heat and never had a problem. No cracks, maybe a hairline at most, but nothing I'd ever worry about. I wonder if some of y'all are just rougher with your shit then you think you are. I might be wrong, but I wonder.

dwc3232,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
carb caps are like a necessity with ceramic nails.... kinda wish I had ordered the ceramic cap with mine.

I'm just using the glass combustion bowl that came with my D020. Works pretty well, but it would be nice if it had a handle, for when you heat the cap. My ebay nail is a 14/18 male, and is a pretty big chunk of ceramic. Really holds the heat. Capping it does make the dab go further, now I need to do smaller ones!

farscaper

I'm just using the glass combustion bowl that came with my D020. Works pretty well, but it would be nice if it had a handle, for when you heat the cap. My ebay nail is a 14/18 male, and is a pretty big chunk of ceramic. Really holds the heat. Capping it does make the dab go further, now I need to do smaller ones!
ive been using the aroma bowl from my solo some... it sorta works... I have a bowl I will try it after bit to see if it helps.

I hate how long it takes to heat it... love quartz cause you can blast away! but I havnt experienced an overheated dab from the ceramic yet... and overheated is gross on quartz.

I just think that as you said reheating and heat retention would be improved using a ceramic cap because if placed on a ceramic nail it will actually reach equilibrium with the temprature of the nail and cool together .... boro, ti, quartz all will probably reacht diffrent....

all only relative to the degree of precision one desires. I was working with a health stone all day yesterday so today its ceramic all day.

edit: after trying the 14mm bowl from my C2 I can say that really works better than the solo bowl. this is an actual combustion bowl so it has the hole in the middle. man does that make a difference. retaining heat without restricting airflow too much (real bummer on a recycler when you restrict airflow too much)

also I got 3 dabs in a row off one heating with the bernz ts4000 as a torch.... just keep the flame moving around the rim.

as far as a tell to when the nail is hot enough... I notice the flame "offshoot?" or "ricochet" turns vibrant ORANGE when it reaches around cleaning temp.

Last edited:

DubCRider

@DubCRider if your nail broke in the first 10 dabs either you got a piece of shit nail or you heated it incorrectly - I'm inclined to think it's the latter. If you ever hold the torch in one spot for more than a second or two, you fucked up.

The tip of the light blue triangle [edit for clarity: zone B] is the hottest part of a flame (and what I use to heat titanium) - I use the tip of entire dark blue flame [zone A] and move around in a circle either on the top of the cap or from underneath when using ceramic. Heating from the side makes it more prone to fracture especially if you always heat the same side.

I have a Hive and it is no doubt a piece of shit. I used my propane torch and heated it well over 30sec to clean it, both things I was told not to do. If you heat it too much there is clearly a ceramic taste, not sure how anyone can deny that.

It is a toy in my eyes, a gimmick. Nothing about it is a positive over Ti. It's fragile!

DubCRider,

farscaper

I have a Hive and it is no doubt a piece of shit. I used my propane torch and heated it well over 30sec to clean it, both things I was told not to do. If you heat it too much there is clearly a ceramic taste, not sure how anyone can deny that.

It is a toy in my eyes, a gimmick. Nothing about it is a positive over Ti. It's fragile!
arent they all toys in a way? accessories I mean.

@DubCRider you love your Ti dont you man?;)
:p:nod::tup:

farscaper,

DubCRider

I still use my ceramic nail, but once it does break completely it will be the last one I ever buy. My Dab Essentials domeless is still perfect 3 years later.

DubCRider,
Reactions: farscaper

Bouldorado

carb caps are like a necessity with ceramic nails.... kinda wish I had ordered the ceramic cap with mine.

I've been using an old LSV bowl as a carb cap. Have to cap the joint end with your finger but it gets the job done.

I still use my ceramic nail, but once it does break completely it will be the last one I ever buy. My Dab Essentials domeless is still perfect 3 years later.

I won't be buying another ceramic either. I get good taste from it but there's not a noticeable difference when compared to Ti or quartz.

Caligula

Maximus

Interesting. I need to see dimensions though. My oil rig has a pretty short area for the nail to go into (about 5.75 cm between the top of the DI joint and where you'd hit glass).

I know it's adjustable but my whole deal for wanting a non-domeless is so I can use my matching worked dome once I a while... and if I need to raise the nail too high that won't happen.

Last edited:
Caligula,

farscaper

Interesting. I need to see dimensions though. My oil rig has a pretty short area for the nail to go into (about 5.75 cm between the top of the DI joint and where you'd hit glass).
I found another store that carries them and has at least a better photo. its adustable was my thought cause the dome on my cory recycler has a very short and very narrow opening.
http://mrglassdude.com/products/14mm-ajustable-ceramic-nail-for-wax-oil-rig-water-pipe
Mzk0QURCNDUzREM5NEJDNEFEQ0Q6MDg4Yjc3YzE4NGY3MGEzNTkwZWY1ZjdjMDhhMTkwZDM6Ojo6OjA=

then this site says its height is 2" total

http://wholesalepinnacle.com/wholesale/ceramic-adjustable-nail.html

farscaper,

farscaper

Well that's for sure in my size range. I wonder how a smaller piece of ceramic will hold up?
idk... frankly this cheapy that I got on ebay is holding up swell.... I heard a funny ting sound the first night and was gentle with it for the first few days, but ive been hitting it with the big torch and havnt had any issue... honestly its a little to big of a nail for my taste (the one I posted above) do ive been looking at the other di injection styles... I havnt used it enough or had it long enough to know what kinda torture it can take. but like you I have a gorgeous alien tech dome from cory that I never use... the dome is more colorful than the whole piece so its kinda a shame to never use it.
its nice to see something adjustable in a material other than ti... ive always wanted an adjustable quartz nail too...

herbivore21

I found another store that carries them and has at least a better photo. its adustable was my thought cause the dome on my cory recycler has a very short and very narrow opening.
http://mrglassdude.com/products/14mm-ajustable-ceramic-nail-for-wax-oil-rig-water-pipe
Mzk0QURCNDUzREM5NEJDNEFEQ0Q6MDg4Yjc3YzE4NGY3MGEzNTkwZWY1ZjdjMDhhMTkwZDM6Ojo6OjA=

then this site says its height is 2" total

http://wholesalepinnacle.com/wholesale/ceramic-adjustable-nail.html
So I may have a very similar requirement for a ceramic nail myself. However, this page adds no price to the total, I just put 110 of these in my cart and the total cost is $0.00??? lol

herbivore21,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

I believe the mrglassdude link has tags. they were $19 something. and the ones from marijuanapackingsupplies that I linked above the post you replied too also had prices. I think those were $14 or $16 but neither took paypal so im waiting atm.

farscaper,

herbivore21

oops sorry I clicked the pinnacle link. I need a similarly short ceramic nail to caligula for use with a dome that fits an 18mm male joint, does anyone know of any?

herbivore21,

farscaper

http://www.marijuanapackaging.com/ceramic-adjustable-nail-14mm.html

those are the only two so far with pricing. hive has some designs for a nail that works with domes but they were not adjustable.

Alas, I must however caution not to blow money on ceramic domeless units unless you just wanna play with it.
I think the adjustable type as posted above is worth testing... but I wouldnt pay over 20 bucks for any ceramic nail.
IMO ceramic taste compairs with quartz enough that I would as other have recomend quartz as a better long lasting choice. I have never broken any quartz that I own. in fact ive been able to pass along both ti and quartz. but alas I will not be able to pass along the ceramic domeless cause it is indeed cracked. I wasnt sure at first. but after more use it has shown the cracks on the outside of the nail too.
this one is still in total operating condition but the question is how long.

Last edited:
farscaper,
Top Bottom