CBS Reverses Decision, Agrees to Run Pro-Marijuana Ad

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
http://criminaljustice.change.org/blog/view/cbs_reverses_decision_agrees_to_run_pro-marijuana_ad

Was it Margaret Mead who said, "Never underestimate the power of 8,809 readers who care about criminal justice?" Okay, maybe not quite that. But I'm excited to announce that one story we've closely tracked here at Change.org -- CBS's refusal to accept a pro-marijuana legalization ad -- resulted in a victory this afternoon.

Last month, NORML reported that CBS had denied the group's request to place an ad in Times Square that touted the potential billions in taxes that would result from legalizing marijuana. Remember, this is a network that boasts marijuana-infused advertisements for their Showtime Network show, Weeds. It's also the network that was perfectly willing to air a controversial anti-abortion ad aimed at peak viewership during the Super Bowl. But still, somehow CBS decided that NORML's message (Legalize Marijuana Billions in Taxes) would ruffle the network's too-delicate sensibilities.

In a Feb. 3 rejection email, NORML was told, "If CBS changes their morals we will let you know."

Well, it turns out that a month later, the network has decided to stop censoring NORML's message. This afternoon, our organizing director here at Change.org spoke with CBS's communication vice president, Shannon Jacobs. Jacobs told us that the network "communicated to the people who wanted to place the ad that they will accept the ad if they still want to run it."

Congratulations to NORML for winning this well-deserved turnaround -- and thanks to all the Change.org readers who helped rout CBS's decision.

AGBeer,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
PerseusStoned said:
One TV station's morals finally awakened, millions more to go.
It would be nice to believe that CBS awoke to moral behavior: most likely that is not the case. I believe they acted on perceived business self-interest. Maybe they realize the time is ripe for change or they'd lose in suit.

macbill,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
macbill said:
PerseusStoned said:
One TV station's morals finally awakened, millions more to go.
It would be nice to believe that CBS awoke to moral behavior: most likely that is not the case. I believe they acted on perceived business self-interest. Maybe they realize the time is ripe for change or they'd lose in suit.
I'd have to agree. I don't think CBS finally "Saw the Light" concerning the debate over MJ... More likely they buckled under pressure and want to appeal to where the money is.

DevoTheStrange,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in the room where this reversal was discussed and put into action. Would be humorous if it all came down to one person who was very passionate about MJ and realized the only way to fix things would be "Hey you know... people who use Marijuana spend a lot of money on things... wouldn't it be fun to tap into that market?"

DevoTheStrange,

PerseusStoned

To be fair guys I was mostly poking fun at their earlier word choice in the rejection letter :p

I don't really believe large-scale businesses (especially media outlets) can really walk that much of a moral high-ground ever (without sacrificing their business, therefore shrinking), although I'll admit they can do some incredibly great things for the world every now and then.

PerseusStoned,
Top Bottom