CBD for Situational Anxiety

FR0ST

I know there is an active thread about anxiety going on right now, but I wanted to create my own thread, as my situation is different.

Background
I've been struggling with situational anxiety, paired with IBS symptoms, for almost a year now (pretty much since I finished university). I've always had a lot of anxiety over doing presentations etc, but always managed to pull them off (on one occasion taking an etizolam before an important presentation). But recently it's spiraled out of control, and into other parts of my life, and my plans of working in London have been halted due my inability to cope with traveling on the underground/buses etc; due to the nausea I feel when anxiety kicks in, and the worry of suddenly needing the toilet (which are scarce at best in London).

I've done around 6 Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) sessions with the NHS which really helped. Through exposure training I can now reasonably happily ride buses around where I live. But I live in the countryside, and that's a whole different ball game to big cities.

(I exercise pretty regularly, training Muay Thai 2-3 times a week, and Judo once a week and in general I'm pretty relaxed.)

My anxiety problem has really stopped my career in it's tracks. I'm desperate to progress, as although I'm currently enjoying working for a small local company as a web developer, my salary is very low in comparison to my qualifications. And I've always had my sights set on becoming a software engineer.

I could easily continue to do the job I have now, but I'm not where I want to be in my life, and I'm feeling pretty stuck.

I've decided that by this time next year I want to be able to move to Bristol (smaller and easier to deal with than London) and work as a software engineer. The problem is that my situational anxiety will transfer into job interviews too (very bad nausea, upset stomach, sudden need to go the toilet), making the whole process of moving to Bristol and getting a job much more stressful than it should be.

After completing the CBT course, I went back to my doctors as although I had made progress, I am still no where near ready to move to a city and continue with my life. They offered me Citalopram (an SSRI), but I'd really rather not take an SSRI.

I would also like to avoid having to use benzo's on the regular (I don't currently), though I'll likely have one before job interviews etc just to get me on the level.

Note
I enjoy micro-dosing cannabis occasionally to relax after work, or to get to sleep after muay thai training. However, I have an extremely low tolerance, and in general high THC strains only worsen my anxiety. I find it to be very psychoactive, with a headspace similar to a psilocybin mushroom experience.

I only really enjoy micro-doses, or the occasional larger hit to watch a movie. But if i'm somewhere were i'm not totally comfortable weed can cause me anxiety, so i don't use it recreationally.

Questions
  • Has anyone experienced anything similar to this, and did you manage to make a full recovery - If so, what did you find was helpful?
  • Has anyone used CBD to treat situational anxiety similar to mine? If so, what did you find most effective, tinctures or vaporizing etc?
I've been researching CBD, but it's extremely difficult to source legitimate CBD in the UK. My first attempt to buy CBD off amazon.co.uk resulted in receiving a tincture went out of date the day after it arrived, and that had zero effects on me at all.

After months of research I finally found ukcbd.com, which stock charlotte's web tinctures, and other lab tested CBD products. After checking out their lab results, I decided to buy their UKCBD-710™ RASPBERRY – GOLD CONCENTRATE ‘DAB’ – 210mg per gram. But I've yet to test it out, as I'm currently trying to decide what vaporizer to buy.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'll try to edit this post and make it more concise if I can.

Last edited:

hi_there

On a personal level besides medication, I would say fake it till you make it, this attitude helped me in my career. Basically if you are passionate in what you do and have a certain level of expertise, just try and be outwardly very sure of yourself to the point just below being cocky and annoying. After meetings or before you might be a mess, go to the bathroom and let it out but eventually when you see how positively people respond to your high level of confidence and this will in-turn make it so you have to fake it less each time, until you actually feel the same way you are projecting to others.

Tweety

Best of luck with your condition. I have no special expertise to impart, other than to say you may, or may not, be on the right path for treatment.
MJ makes me paranoid to the point of being unable to function properly. Thats the THC at work as a psycho-active property. Yet, I sooo want to be able to use CBD's to reduce my insomnia and, to a lesser extend, mild anxiety, that Ive been willing to take risks with products that, for me, have no redeeming qualities.
MM/MJ is not legal where I live. I will look forward to trying MJ strains high in CBD and low in THC, like AC/DC and others. Ive read some positive reviews (with some suspicion) over at Leafly about high CBD cannabis. People suffering from a variety of general ailments speak of reduced pain and a feeling of general well-being when using high CBD products. Problem is, that doesnt help either one of us currently, does it? If its important to you, you will find a way to make it happen. In my case, I will travel to Colorado to sample products to determine if high CBD weed is for me. Ill do that within the next 6 months. Good luck!

Chill Dude

Interesting thread. Unfortunately, I have no experience with high CBD strains. I too suffer from situational anxiety as well as general anxiety. I'm a business person and have to travel and give presentations in front of fairly large groups. I use Klonopin or Xanax 45 minutes prior and it works very well. I'm curious as well whether high CBD will help in uncomfortable situations like presentations, interviews or simple interacting in large groups of people. While THC reduces anxiety significantly, the short term memory loss is detrimental when giving a presentation or interacting at a high level in business situations. You don't want to be in front of a crowed speaking and forget what you just said.. That would greatly increase your anxiety and possibly ruin your presentation LOL... I personally never do it... High CBD and very low THC? Maybe..

I wouldn't worry about taking benzos occassionally for situational anxiety, however, as you are aware ,daily use will lead to significant dependence and addiction. It would be great to hear from someone who has used High CBD for these issues and whether or not they've found it effective....

weenstoned

High CBD strains definitely help with my anxiety. I have heard however that cbd derived from hemp (what is offered on ukcbd) doesn't really work and you need cbd derived from cannabis. I cannot confirm this for myself, but it is widely taked about online. Unfortunately your best bet might be growing your own high cbd cannabis.

Have found that the best strains for me are a 1 to 1 ratio of CBD:THC . Not sure if that would be right for everyone though as that might be too much thc for some.

FR0ST

@hi_there, @Tweety, @Chill Dude and @weenstoned thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it!!

On a personal level besides medication, I would say fake it till you make it, this attitude helped me in my career. Basically if you are passionate in what you do and have a certain level of expertise, just try and be outwardly very sure of yourself to the point just below being cocky and annoying. After meetings or before you might be a mess, go to the bathroom and let it out but eventually when you see how positively people respond to your high level of confidence and this will in-turn make it so you have to fake it less each time, until you actually feel the same way you are projecting to others.

Thanks @hi_there, this is really good advice. I've been told it before, and I've seen it work for others - now I just need to apply it to myself. I'll be sure to try this in my upcoming interviews, as I am genuinely passionate about, and enjoy, what I do.

Unfortunately I just need to find a way around the physical symptoms I experience, as that's the main thing holding me back currently.

Best of luck with your condition. I have no special expertise to impart, other than to say you may, or may not, be on the right path for treatment.
MJ makes me paranoid to the point of being unable to function properly. Thats the THC at work as a psycho-active property. Yet, I sooo want to be able to use CBD's to reduce my insomnia and, to a lesser extend, mild anxiety, that Ive been willing to take risks with products that, for me, have no redeeming qualities.
MM/MJ is not legal where I live. I will look forward to trying MJ strains high in CBD and low in THC, like AC/DC and others. Ive read some positive reviews (with some suspicion) over at Leafly about high CBD cannabis. People suffering from a variety of general ailments speak of reduced pain and a feeling of general well-being when using high CBD products. Problem is, that doesnt help either one of us currently, does it? If its important to you, you will find a way to make it happen. In my case, I will travel to Colorado to sample products to determine if high CBD weed is for me. Ill do that within the next 6 months. Good luck!

Thanks @Tweety! I totally know how you feel, and it seems like we're in very similar situations. High THC strains increase my anxiety and make me almost none functional lol, but I'm holding out hope that CBD will be the answer!

Unfortunately I don't even have the option to travel in order to try MM / MJ... Good old England. I've heard a lot of good things about CBD too, and 1:1 THC:CBD strains, but I've yet to find a product that has any effect on me. And the English blackmarket consists almost only of very high THC strains.

I'll be sure to let you know if/when I find a CBD product that works for me. I'm currently hoping UKCBD's CBD Dab will have some effect, as they *appear* to be a genuine CBD vendor: http://ukcbd.com/qualitycontrol/

Good luck to you too, keep me posted!

Interesting thread. Unfortunately, I have no experience with high CBD strains. I too suffer from situational anxiety as well as general anxiety. I'm a business person and have to travel and give presentations in front of fairly large groups. I use Klonopin or Xanax 45 minutes prior and it works very well. I'm curious as well whether high CBD will help in uncomfortable situations like presentations, interviews or simple interacting in large groups of people. While THC reduces anxiety significantly, the short term memory loss is detrimental when giving a presentation or interacting at a high level in business situations. You don't want to be in front of a crowed speaking and forget what you just said.. That would greatly increase your anxiety and possibly ruin your presentation LOL... I personally never do it... High CBD and very low THC? Maybe..

I wouldn't worry about taking benzos occassionally for situational anxiety, however, as you are aware ,daily use will lead to significant dependence and addiction. It would be great to hear from someone who has used High CBD for these issues and whether or not they've found it effective....

Hi @Chill Dude! Yeah I have no qualms about taking a benzo before an important presentation/job interview if required (although my doctors have never given me any, the best I got from them was medication for motion sickness lol. But now that I've completed a CBT course, I might go back and ask again). Fortunately Etizolam is legal in England. I've taken 1mg of Etizolam in the past before an important presentation in neural computation, and scored highest in the seminar :D. It took away my excess anxiety, leaving me with a normal amount, so as not to make me totally care free.

Unfortunately for me THC makes me pretty much none functional, and greatly increases any latent anxiety i'm feeling. So I'm hoping that high CBD will be a viable alternative.

The problem is that my situational anxiety has spread to things like public transport in London. And I can't go taking one every time I need to travel for example. Short term solution is not living in London. But this effects many parts of my life, including traveling to go on holiday, etc etc.

High CBD strains definitely help with my anxiety. I have heard however that cbd derived from hemp (what is offered on ukcbd) doesn't really work and you need cbd derived from cannabis. I cannot confirm this for myself, but it is widely taked about online. Unfortunately your best bet might be growing your own high cbd cannabis.

Have found that the best strains for me are a 1 to 1 ratio of CBD:THC . Not sure if that would be right for everyone though as that might be too much thc for some.

Hi @weenstoned, it's great to here from someone who has used high CBD strains with success! Oh, well I truly hope that is not the case, as it's not possible for me to get cannabis derived CBD in the UK :(.

That said, UKCBD does sell Charlotte's Web tinctures, so they might be worth a try? I went for the CBD Dab instead of the tincture as a previous tincture I bought had zero effect on me. But it's quite possible it was a placebo tincture anyway. At least with a Charlotte's Web tincture I know it is a genuine CBD product!

I might be able to get access to a 1:1 strain soon (2-3 months), and if I am able, I will be sure to let you all know my experiences with it!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences! I'll also be sure to let you all know if vaporizing the UKCBD Dab works for me or not (as soon as my vaporizer arrives).

Last edited:

weenstoned

Sounds like Charlotte's Web is a brand name, not the strain of cannabis called Charlotte's Web which is super high cbd. At least I would assume that to be the case unless ukcbd is not being truthful about all their cbd being derived from hemp.

weenstoned,
Reactions: FR0ST

FR0ST

Hmm yeah I think you're right, as I believe the Charlotte's Web strain is cannabis and not hemp?

If so this is extremely misleading. Seems like they're just another typical UK based CBD company. Taking advantage of the current state of our laws. Many UK based CBD companies are selling placebos, and all of them are charging extortionate amounts.

I hope at least that UKCBD's products are genuinly lab tested, and that's not been fabricated by them - I'm going to contact the companies they say they've used and confirm this now. As I don't want to be vaporizing some potentional unknown substance.

Quoted from UKCBD's Charlottes Web tincture product: "Charlotte’s Web™ Hemp Extract in Olive Oil infuses genuine Charlotte’s Web Hemp Extract into olive oil. As a whole plant extract, Charlotte’s Web Hemp Extract in Olive Oil contains not only 5000 mg of extract per bottle, but also incorporates other naturally occurring terpenes and phytochemicals found in our proprietary hemp strains."

FR0ST,

weenstoned

Ya I am not positive but I think Charlotte's Web cannabis still does have a small amount of thc so would not generally be considered hemp. Also as far as I know the company that developed it in Colorado is keeping pretty tight control over it and not really allowing others to grow it.

weenstoned,
Reactions: FR0ST

Farid

I know Charlotte's Web gets a bad rep from many in the epilepsy community who feel the strain is given unwarranted attention due to media and marketing. In reality many strains help epilepsy, but Charlotte's Web is marketed as the anti seizure strain, and many people feel that the strain is sold at an inflated price because so many sick people are willing to go the extra mile to try and get the strain. For example, in some of the epilepsy forums I am part of, new users who wish to try mmj specifically ask about Charlotte's Web because they are under the impression it is the only strain that helps epilepsy. They fail to understand it is just one of many high CBD strains, along with catatonic, harlequin, and others. Seeing a CBD company brand itself as "Charlotte's Web" just furthers this sentiment that I've had.

theCerberus

High CBD products make me feel anxious and paranoid.
They make me feel like my feet are going to be pulled out from under me.
And they make me feel REALLY stoned.

This is my experiences with the Canadian LP system, so I know the strains I used were accurately lab tested.

I hate hearing CBD does not get you stoned. Ive used enough strains with low THC, high CBD to know that isnt true.
How come this rumor keeps persisting?

Does CBD really not get you guys stoned?
Everyone who I've met whos tried high CBD got stoned....

I feel like someone is hiding the truth...

Last edited:

FR0ST

High CBD products make me feel anxious and paranoid.
They make me feel like my feet are going to be pulled out from under me.
And they make me feel REALLY stoned.

This is my experiences with the Canadian LP system, so I know the strains I used were accurately lab tested.

I hate hearing CBD does not get you stoned. Ive used enough strains with low THC, high CBD to know that isnt true.
How come this rumor keeps persisting?

Does CBD really not get you guys stoned?
Everyone who I've met whos tried high CBD got stoned....

I feel like someone is hiding the truth...

That's extremely interesting theCerberus, I've not heard of anyone say this before! Especially seen as you know exactly what was in the stains you tried.

It's seems opposite to everything I've read about CBD, as any medical research I've read on the subject have indicated that CBD has anti-psychotic effects. In such a way that it's possible it could even be used to help treat schizophrenia.

But this is only what I have read, and I do not personally know anyone who has experienced a lab tested high cbd very low thc strain.

FR0ST,

FR0ST

Could you tell me the names of the strains you tried? And/or the percentage of THC and CBD in them?

FR0ST,

theCerberus

From the LPs
Cannatonic, Elwyn, CBD Skunk Haze, CBD Digweed, CBD Afghani, CBD Warlock, Bediol

Some of these have more THC than others. But most are stronger, wackier/uneasy highs than 30% THC master kush, which was just light and calming, and pain relief.

I'd like to add that I dont even believe THC % is a good indicator of potency either.
I've had 11% hindu kush that was stronger than 22% Diamond OG.
Cannabis has to be produced correctly (grown to full potential, flushed, dried. cured properly) before that even comes into play. Terpenes may play a large role here because the good ones will be preserved if these steps are done correctly.

And then theres genetics (indica, sativa and subsequent lineage) which take a much larger role in effects. Its common knowledge sativas and indicas have different effects yet they can show up with identical THC % levels, so obviously that isnt a good indicator of effects (head high vs body stone).

Last edited:

weenstoned

That's weird that CBD strains make you paranoid @theCerberus personally they relax me a lot. I definitely feel a bit stoned (relaxed/pain relieved), but not really that high. Can I ask maybe how you are consuming them since if you are vaping at low temperatures the CBD might not be getting released (assuming it probably isn't this as you seem pretty well informed). Since you're in Canada I would recommend checking out the strain Haley's Comet which is a 1 to 1 ratio, but as far as I know only available through dispensaries not the LPs.

weenstoned,

theCerberus

I dunno what temperature im using but I assume its fairly high because the ABV stuff is quite chocolate brown.

I use a fanatic/limited edition vapexhale cloud evo at the highest level it will go without it overheating (2:30pm clock position) (entire glass [bamboo] glows reddish orange when turned off if i set it higher and would eventually warp the glass).

it doesnt list temperature specifically because they dont want it to be off. check out the arizer solo thread, plenty of real world temps that dont match charted levels.

Last edited:
theCerberus,

weenstoned

Ya that definitely sounds high enough. Have you tried consuming cbd in other ways like through edibles? Have tried capsules that were just cbd and some were 1 to 1 ratio and both were awesome for anxiety/pain relief.

weenstoned,
Reactions: BD9

theCerberus

I should add that I dont use cannabis for anxiety.
I dont have anxiety.
I use cannabis for intestinal issues.
and I dont find myself getting paranoid or anxious or my feet being pulled out from under me from the strains with THC and next to no CBD. its only when I have large amounts of high CBD strains that this happens, taking smaller doses is fine.
I find an indica like Afghani with high CBD to be tolerable and it usually just relieves some pain and knocks me out, which is what I am looking for.
But when that doesnt work I'll go for an indica with just THC instead.
Too much CBD is a funny feeling i dont like, I know my limit, and stay within it. I cant say the same for THC. there doesnt seem to be any limit that is uncomfortable for me... i've done some real big globs dabbing high thc stuff... its just calming pain relief for me.

Also, one of the reasons I tried so many CBD strains was because I wanted to make sure this feeling was coming from the CBD and nothing else. Since there is a lot of studies mentioning anti-inflammatory effects on the intestine from CBD and THC i thought it would be worth a shot trying to find a strain that doesnt do these side effects with high CBD. So far I haven't found one, so it leads me to believe it is the CBD causing these wacky paranoid effects.

What I can say is I get the most relief with pretty much no undesirable side effects from strains with master kush lineage. like hindu kush (parent), cheese (master kush x super skunk), headband(master kush x og kush x sour diesel).

I have pretty much given up on CBD because I do not believe I can get pain relief without the high, and the THC type highs are fine with me.
Everyone's experience may vary.

Last edited:

weenstoned

That makes sense, never really had an excess amount of cbd strains so I don't think I have really overindulged on cbd. I still would suggest making some capsules or edibles as that would be an easy way to control the dosage as I also found it great for pain relief. Also not a scientist but I would think that intestinal problems might benefit from cannabis going through your digestive system.

weenstoned,
Reactions: BD9

theCerberus

Edibles have to be digested. My intestines are bad at that part. They don't absorb anything all that well since they are inflamed and I have to stick to a low fibre diet to not upset them. Pills might work but I'd want to know exactly what is inside before taking them.

The Canadian LP system has recently allowed for extracts so they will be coming out with pills in the next few months. I am planning to try them but don't really have high hopes.

I find its best to just stick to master kush lineage strains as I get the maximum relief from them.

Last edited:

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Edibles have to be digested. My intestines are bad at that part. They don't absorb anything all that well since they are inflamed and I have to stick to a low fibre diet to not upset them. Pills might work but I'd want to know exactly what is inside before taking them.

The Canadian LP system has recently allowed for extracts so they will be coming out with pills in the next few months. I am planning to try them but don't really have high hopes.

I find its best to just stick to master kush lineage strains as I get the maximum relief from them.

have you looked into the terpene beta-caryllophene? this is the terpene that is supposed to switch off the receptors in your intestinal lining (so tired, can't remember if it's CB1 or CB2) with ulcerative colitis or crohns disease. It's also found in Black Pepper and some other plants.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I found this the other day when I was searching around for cheaper CBD alternatives for anxiety/pain.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2016/02/24/cbd-oil-for-anxiety-is-cannabidiol-an-effective-treatment/

There is a lot to read and a lot of it is not understood by my simple mind. One thing that stood out to me was they state 600mg of cbd administered orally on an acute basis would provide benefit for most people suffering from anxiety. To me that seems extremely excessive. I've seen benefits from as little as 5mg, but it seems that 10mg with a little bit of thc does the trick.

rogrog

I vape two strains of CBD flower. one is 1:1 and the other 20:1. I highly recommend flower over bullshit cbd oils that come from an isolate or industrial hemp.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I am in my late 50s and I have suffered from anxiety since I was a child. I go through long periods of time where it doesn't seem to bother me. Then something will trigger it. Such as a life transition or a problem that I have no control over. I have social anxiety too, but not all the time.

I used to dwell on financial problems when I was in my 20s when my children were small. I tend to worry about the what ifs. What if this happens or that, most of the time something I can't control. Usually more me, worrying about something is worse than going through with what I have to do.

Like having to prepare and take a test to further my job and experience. Or presenting something in front of a large group. I worry so much beforehand. Going through it is much easier than thinking about it. It affects my stomach and I perspire. I get physically ill. Some days things effect me more then other days, not sure why. There have been days where I eke up with anxiety.

I don't like having to deal with this. I tend to use Indicas for anxiety but we are all different. The heavy hitters. You mentioned that Indicas get you too medicated. I've used cannabis for years and it's some sativas that get me feeling racy and anxiety ridden. I use the hybrids and don't seem to have any issues. I would warn you about ordering tinctures over the Internet be careful. You don't know what you are getting. I've tried a few CBD hybrid strains and didn't notice anything extra helpful.

If you are comfortable with your job right now that's a good thing. Of course you want to better your situation and staying where you are at for a long period of time might not look good on a resume. I don't know your situation enough. A lot can be said for happiness verses money. It's always nice to have both.

I'm like you I tend to dwell on things. You can't do that. It's self distructive for folks like us worriers. I would try using (vaporizing) the cannabis flower for now. It's easier to control dose.

Edibles are hard to know how they will affect a person and I would put tinctures in that category. Same with capsules. Eventually if you want to try something you eat it (take by mouth)start slow. Also you need to know that you are getting something that won't harm you.

If you make something yourself you know what it is. I would read up on making tinctures. I've been experimenting myself. I make edibles and am really careful about doses. I use edibles in the evenings to help with sleep. I use cannabis for pain most of the time until my anxiety creeps up.

I hope medical cannabis can come to your area, it maybe something that can help. Especially if you have medical cannabis consultants that can assist. We have legal cannabis where I live in WA state. Good luck @FROST. For some reason your name isn't highlighted.

Edit
Self confidence is important attribute to have so do things that help boost your self confidence and surround yourself with positive people. Think positive and don't dwell on the negative. Good luck.

Last edited:

HomeFree

I think maybe I will try some harlequin next time I get situational anxiety. I have tried a couple of 20:1 strains and they are not really for me, they also make me feel kind of anxious. I'm not sure why. 1:1 works out okay for me though. Maybe just too many years of being used to high THC cannabis only.

I usually prefer to go with real low doses of light (on the body) hybrid/sativa strains for that type of anxiety if possible, or I just try and last until before bed when I normally vape. But lately I have kept around .020-.025 grams of a sativa loaded up on my OG vapcap and hidden in my car since the vape is real small and does small loads real well. It works out well for me, maybe just due to changing gears a little bit. But everyone is different, dosage matters too, that is about 1/7th my normal amount in a session. Makes me have a better attitude (brings good humor back), increases hunger, reduces anxiety.

Most pure indica strains usually make me feel too thick skulled, which can make matters worse when I can not think as clearly. When I get anxious part of the reason it can snowball is due to not being able to focus well due to the anxiety so getting inebriated is not the answer there. A little bit of most strains helps me to concentrate better for some reason. Over a threshold amount and I lose that concentration though.

Top Bottom