CBD for Anxiety - any evidence?

Baron23

Hi folks - my very dear friend, who is a world renown oncological surgeon, well...his daughter suffers from debilitating chronic anxiety. And she's pretty young, maybe 27 or so.

Of course the first round is always pharma but they haven't been able to find an effective treatment that doesn't also basically lobotomize her.

So, my buddy Scott asked me what I knew of CBD oil as this has apparently come up in some discussion re: anxiety.

Now, my vague and thin knowledge of the the application of CBD for medical benefits says CBD primarily for neuropathic pain, movement and seizure disorders, Crohn's and similar.

Quick reading has shown some emerging evidence (in animals I believe) of CBD as a Serotonin 1A receptor agonist and hence perhaps good for anxiety and anxiety related issues (perhaps PSTD falls in here somewhere also).

But because of Federal restrictions, most evidence seems to be anecdotal and nothing is yet clear cut (or I'm just ignorant of the facts if they have been firmly and scientifically established).

Anyone have experience with CBD for chronic anxiety?

Anyone have good knowledge of the current state of CBD research and in particular any clinical evidence that its effective for anxiety?

Thanks guys!!

Baron23,
Reactions: C No Ego

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
Hi folks - my very dear friend, who is a world renown oncological surgeon, well...his daughter suffers from debilitating chronic anxiety. And she's pretty young, maybe 27 or so.

Of course the first round is always pharma but they haven't been able to find an effective treatment that doesn't also basically lobotomize her.

So, my buddy Scott asked me what I knew of CBD oil as this has apparently come up in some discussion re: anxiety.

Now, my vague and thin knowledge of the the application of CBD for medical benefits says CBD primarily for neuropathic pain, movement and seizure disorders, Crohn's and similar.

Quick reading has shown some emerging evidence (in animals I believe) of CBD as a Serotonin 1A receptor agonist and hence perhaps good for anxiety and anxiety related issues (perhaps PSTD falls in here somewhere also).

But because of Federal restrictions, most evidence seems to be anecdotal and nothing is yet clear cut (or I'm just ignorant of the facts if they have been firmly and scientifically established).

Anyone have good knowledge of the current state of CBD research and in particular any clinical evidence that its effective for anxiety?

Thanks guys!!

Quick thing to point out, you mentioned the 1a serotonin receptor which is more widely recognized as the 5-HT1A receptor which might make more sense to other readers.

Anyway, that is just a minor detail, but I have some good information for you and your friend's daughter.

First off is essentially anecdotal evidence as I have been suffering for the greater part of my life from multiple severe and debilitating anxiety disorders that have limited me to the point I feel imprisoned by my own psyche. Introducing CBD cannabis, while I find it doesn't help with the more severe pain I experience from my chronic pain many people say it is the most amazing thing for them. That being said, all our individual brain chemistry, which is likely as unique as the features on your face, essentially everybody's brains are so different and unique that cannabis doesn't always work in the same way for everyone. The same is very true about pharmaceuticals even.

Essentially I find CBD to be one of my favourite tools for combating anxiety. The only limitation I found has been when smoked or vaporized the effects diminish almost 5+ times quicker versus if you were to ingest it which is the most recommended route. CBD produces a calm and warmth in the body that is just so pleasant and rewarding. It really is incredible when it comes to anxiety for me. I also get decent relief from THC strains too and the mix of the two is even more satisfying. I prefer a 3:1, THC:CBD ratio, which is prefect for my needs, pain included.

Now, here are some interesting links you might find helpful.

This is all about CBD and was most recently updated in March 2017:
https://www.projectcbd.org/how-cbd-works

This is a PubMed article about the anti depressant and anxiolytic properties of CBD:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24923339/

Baron23

Quick thing to point out, you mentioned the 1a serotonin receptor which is more widely recognized as the 5-HT1A receptor which might make more sense to other readers.

Anyway, that is just a minor detail, but I have some good information for you and your friend's daughter.

First off is essentially anecdotal evidence as I have been suffering for the greater part of my life from multiple severe and debilitating anxiety disorders that have limited me to the point I feel imprisoned by my own psyche. Introducing CBD cannabis, while I find it doesn't help with the more severe pain I experience from my chronic pain many people say it is the most amazing thing for them. That being said, all our individual brain chemistry, which is likely as unique as the features on your face, essentially everybody's brains are so different and unique that cannabis doesn't always work in the same way for everyone. The same is very true about pharmaceuticals even.

Essentially I find CBD to be one of my favourite tools for combating anxiety. The only limitation I found has been when smoked or vaporized the effects diminish almost 5+ times quicker versus if you were to ingest it which is the most recommended route. CBD produces a calm and warmth in the body that is just so pleasant and rewarding. It really is incredible when it comes to anxiety for me. I also get decent relief from THC strains too and the mix of the two is even more satisfying. I prefer a 3:1, THC:CBD ratio, which is prefect for my needs, pain included.

Now, here are some interesting links you might find helpful.

This is all about CBD and was most recently updated in March 2017:
https://www.projectcbd.org/how-cbd-works

This is a PubMed article about the anti depressant and anxiolytic properties of CBD:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24923339/
Thanks Mike!! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to reply.

Any one else have any contributions on this subject. All are welcome to weigh in with their knowledge and experience.

Cheers

Baron23,

Baron23

Thank you so very much.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well brother! I have had much the same kind of experience and Omega Labs CBD oil has been a Godsend!

I'm about to head off to work but I'll drop you a PM later tonight with what hopefully might be some help :)

Hello my friend, @herbivore21 - the above quote was from another thread maybe two years old. May I ask that perhaps you consider sharing with me your experience and knowledge of CBD as treatment for chronic anxiety? In the open or PM is fine with me. I do thank you in advance for considering my request.

biohacker

My own personal experience (I have anxiety disorder) with low thc strains and high cbd strains is that is actually causes me anxiety! I think a 2:1 or 3:1 would be the way to go. I also get anxious crappy feelings when I vape lower temp....just feels incomplete, ESPECIALLY when I have low tolerance. FWIW :2c:

biohacker,

herbivore21

Hello my friend, @herbivore21 - the above quote was from another thread maybe two years old. May I ask that perhaps you consider sharing with me your experience and knowledge of CBD as treatment for chronic anxiety? In the open or PM is fine with me. I do thank you in advance for considering my request.
High CBD, no THC products, where I have had them have been very good for anxiety in my experience. CBD is recognized in the scientific literature to undo the neurological damage that long term experience of anxiety and depression causes in the hippocampus. It is neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory and mitigates otherwise debilitating effects of excess THC consumption in a way that has led me to highly recommend CBD to everybody who consumes cannabis, whether medically or otherwise.

It really depends on the causality of the anxiety in question though. For example; in cases of people that have anxiety that is related more to problematic underlying thought patterns, cognitive-behavioral interventions with a clinical psychologist are likely to be required and even useful medication like CBD may not provide the same relief that many report.

Baron23

It really depends on the causality of the anxiety in question though. For example; in cases of people that have anxiety that is related more to problematic underlying thought patterns, cognitive-behavioral interventions with a clinical psychologist are likely to be required and even useful medication like CBD may not provide the same relief that many report.

Thank you for the reply. I agree with the above completely but didn't want to get into this family's business that deeply. The daughter would be mortifed if she knew her Dad was talking to me about her state AT ALL! LOL

I did, however, find a list to the PubMed CBD articles on the CBD Project site including the data on CBD as a anxiolytic some other fairly good stuff and sent it to her Dad.

All good and thanks again.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I can only provide anecdotal evidence but it has been long tested for me over a variety of moods and life situations. I am sure that the placebo effect is long gone by now, but who knows.

CBD by itself will assist in anxiety, I have found that a hefty dose of CBD isolate in the 50-60mg range works well. I find that it works better with the entourage effect from THC but there is a balance that can be achieved that will allow me to live in the moment and not let my mind wander about things that can trigger anxiety or nervousness. The amount of THC in the dose to be effective can be fairly low.

I always take CBD with my breakfast in edible oil form, then go on to dabbing it along with THC in the later part of the day. After about 30 minutes from dosing the edible oil I notice my "spirits" are lifted. If I were to take it more in the 1:6 range of THC:CBD it will have a much more noticeable effect on anxiety/stress, than by itself.

Personally, my recommendation would be to get some CBD isolate yourself and experiment with it. The stuff I've got from phytodabs is already decarboxylated and ready to ingest in slab/powder form. I find that it does dampen the effects of THC some, but it also seems to prolong the effects of THC. I believe I've heard the hash church panel discuss this. Oddly enough there are a number of panelists who are not fond of CBD because of the dampening effect.

I rarely medicate without it, and when I do I can tell that it's missing, especially with racy strains like Jack Straw.

I hope this may help.

Baron23

I can only provide anecdotal evidence but it has been long tested for me over a variety of moods and life situations. I am sure that the placebo effect is long gone by now, but who knows.

CBD by itself will assist in anxiety, I have found that a hefty dose of CBD isolate in the 50-60mg range works well. I find that it works better with the entourage effect from THC but there is a balance that can be achieved that will allow me to live in the moment and not let my mind wander about things that can trigger anxiety or nervousness. The amount of THC in the dose to be effective can be fairly low.

I always take CBD with my breakfast in edible oil form, then go on to dabbing it along with THC in the later part of the day. After about 30 minutes from dosing the edible oil I notice my "spirits" are lifted. If I were to take it more in the 1:6 range of THC:CBD it will have a much more noticeable effect on anxiety/stress, than by itself.

Personally, my recommendation would be to get some CBD isolate yourself and experiment with it. The stuff I've got from phytodabs is already decarboxylated and ready to ingest in slab/powder form. I find that it does dampen the effects of THC some, but it also seems to prolong the effects of THC. I believe I've heard the hash church panel discuss this. Oddly enough there are a number of panelists who are not fond of CBD because of the dampening effect.

I rarely medicate without it, and when I do I can tell that it's missing, especially with racy strains like Jack Straw.

I hope this may help.
Thank you!! That is very helpful indeed! :tup::clap:

Nesta

@herbivore21 - do you know if Omega Labs is still in business? They seemed to be a bit erratic the last time I bought from them, a couple of years ago - & I had the feeling they were heading off the rails. Maybe because the thread about them in FC/Medical got contentious (& shut down). And I haven't heard anything about them since. Do you know if they're still around?

Nesta,
Reactions: Receptor

herbivore21

@herbivore21 - do you know if Omega Labs is still in business? They seemed to be a bit erratic the last time I bought from them, a couple of years ago - & I had the feeling they were heading off the rails. Maybe because the thread about them in FC/Medical got contentious (& shut down). And I haven't heard anything about them since. Do you know if they're still around?
That is a good question! I am not actually sure about that one myself. There were a few issues that people PM'd me with that they'd had with OL and they were genuine issues. Stuff like a case of unfiltered solvent extract that came with bits of plant material (leaf, pistils etc) still in it and others that were not indicative of best extraction practices.

Are there any CBD flowers going in NY? You could rosin those with wonderful success :)

Nesta

That is a good question! I am not actually sure about that one myself. There were a few issues that people PM'd me with that they'd had with OL and they were genuine issues. Stuff like a case of unfiltered solvent extract that came with bits of plant material (leaf, pistils etc) still in it and others that were not indicative of best extraction practices.

Are there any CBD flowers going in NY? You could rosin those with wonderful success :)
No CBD flowers in NY, that I've come across anyway. Just CBD oil & whatnot. Then again I don't have the best connections- and we're not California or Colorado.

C No Ego

Thanks guys!!

this is going to seem to simple but whole peppercorns can aid in anxiety relief... chew on a whole peppercorn for up to an hour away for relief and grind whole peppercorn and smell for immediate relief of anxiety... peppercorn is a way to offset effects from to much thc but can aid general anxiety as well...

Also of maybe greater importance.... citicoline

use 3 to 5 times more than the thc that was taken to stop thc effects...
with citicoline a person can experiment with thc and have a back out plan if paranoia sets in
maybe citicoline alone could aid in abatement of anxiety too??

Good luck and all the best to your friends daughter.. hope this helps in some way.. Bless

Edit... cannabis strains high in beta caryophyllene too can aid in anxiety and even lavender strains etc...

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
I may be late to this party but I pretty much echo all that was said above, my day time jam is either a 1:1 THC/CBD strain (Cannatonic/Nebula 2 CBD fit the bill nicely) or I make a 1:2 THC/CBD blend (a few of the licensed producers in Canada are cranking out extremely low THC and decent CBD numbers.)

I would highly suggest your friend to dive deeper into this as I believe it could help his daughter. Looking for studies I frequent this website and I think the third article is specifically for CBD and anxiety... https://www.cannabisreports.com/search/results/anxiety

Hope it helps.

:rockon:

C No Ego

in my post up there^ I forgot to mention why the black pepper stops anxiety.... it is the beta caryopyllene in the black pepper that aids in anxiety relief

below is copied from " pot bot " in the terpene section

"Caryophyllene is considered a highly important terpene because, unlike other terpenes, it is able to activate CB2 receptors throughout the body. This unique trait makes caryophyllene very similar to the cannabinoid CBD because both can be used to eliminate pain, minimize inflammation, and reduce stress."

Top Bottom