Carta by Focus V

MiztressNemesis

What I don't get is I have a V2 with older atty with the tab things around the ceramic. I have submitted for warranty on the atty now but.... dayum! I have 3 atomizers (with the tabs around ceramic) here not working because a couple of weeks ago when I bought the Carta, I went and bought more in anticipation AND a repair kit of which now has 0 plates left in the kit since both nuked themselves on #3 setting after like 3 dabs. I have only actually used the Carta for like maybe half gram LOL Focusvape got another atty Warranty request last night. :( Glad they are handling warranties but with the massive amount I have seen, the backlog HAS to be crazy atm of people waiting warranty stuff. When it works, the Carta is AMAZING. When it doesn't, it makes me sad and exasperated.

Fkn0wned

What is the newest model atomizer because the one that came with my V2 have the tabs that go around the bucket that are around the heater.

Yet the ones we have at the shop I work at do not have the tabs around the ceramic heater, so I'm just confused as I said Beta users are being left behind in my mind.

My shop has things I don't and probably should have received I don't even know if I have the latest things or older units.

Azn2101

No they said they were going to make a different section altogether on the website like a “verified for carta section”

I really hope they give out some general guidelines like that a top shouldn't have a point in it where the airflow becomes more restricted than the atomizer already makes it from its slits because after trying a mindblownglass single Perc and my g&f Recycler both suck the material straight out of the insert and into the Atomizer housing with a natural draw. I was shocked to find the MindBlown sucked just as much out which makes me think it has to be the percs on the devices because while the g&f top has more of a potential for more diffusion being a duel chamber, the tilted Perc only uses 2 of the 3 airholes since it's tilted away from one and even if the 3rd worked. 3x 3-4mm holes is way less airflow than the 7 mini slits that are in the stock top that also produce a lot more small bubbles, eliminating that "chug" that kills dabs.

Which me and the Mindblown owner have gone back to for MUCH better preformance.

Has anyone recieved a flat bottomed titanium bucket? A friend got one and says it kills the indented ones but I always suspected that the lack of an indentation was what made the Quartz so inconsistent with results.

@Fkn0wned my buddy that got the non indented insert recieved a V1 along with it too so im wondering the same thing.

Last edited:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I really hope they give out some general guidelines like that a top shouldn't have a point in it where the airflow becomes more restricted than the atomizer already makes it from its slits because after trying a mindblownglass single Perc and my g&f Recycler both suck the material straight out of the insert and into the Atomizer housing with a natural draw. I was shocked to find the MindBlown sucked just as much out which makes me think it has to be the percs on the devices because while the g&f top has more of a potential for more diffusion being a duel chamber, the tilted Perc only uses 2 of the 3 airholes since it's tilted away from one and even if the 3rd worked. 3x 3-4mm holes is way less airflow than the 7 mini slits that are in the stock top that also produce a lot more small bubbles, eliminating that "chug" that kills
I doubt they would give out guidelines for people. They are going to make them how they want to but As a glassblower they should be testing out their designs and making sure they function before selling them. I believe that was the whole point of making a section on the website so the pieces listed there are vetted by focusv and guaranteed to work well with the carta.

It could very well be the percs but i think it has more to do with it being a recycler. In order to get the water to actually recycle and function as intended you need to inhale harder than you would with just a normal piece regardless of the perc. I know a lot of people with recyclers on the peak that complained about the same issue of oil overflowing no matter how they inhaled on their recyclers.

Also usually a hole perc even with less holes is going to be less restricted than a slit perc. Airflow is determined by the size of the smallest opening. So the airflow on the 3 hole perc should be determined by the size of the smallest hole which id bet is still wider than any slit on the stock attachment and would let air and water flow through more easily

Fkn0wned

Yeah so I'm seeing the Eternal Quartz bucket they made and it seems to me those only work on the atomizers that don't have the 3 little guides that hold the bucket in as that would make their wider bucket not make contact with the heater.

So I believe my second Carta I was sent still didn't included the updated atomizers because I'm still rocking the old one and as I said they are different from the ones my shop carries.

I believe the factory or somewhere down the line has all the packagings different because how is everyone getting different atomizers.

I know champs is going on but this is basically where everything started you can't just keep riding the wave that was started here and forget about us and cater to all the new people you need to support the people who got you there.

Like so as of yet I believe a couple issues are,

I still have older atomizers never received the new ones with the Knurling at the bottom and the flat ceramic post without the 3 guides.

And still waiting to hear on the status of the Black Magna kits for the FC users, because you just can't come in here and ask us to send you things and then just not follow through after we did our part as requested.

Again I know all these events and such are going on but stop catering to all the influencers and social media people all the clout chasers and such, they didn't get your product where it's at sure they are helping it now since they have their fan base but our Beta feedback and on is what got this here essentially and all your hard work.

And I thought you had a team now that were handling things while you're out and about networking and getting the product to more outlets and also why is IG support uninformed of the FC users getting Black Magna kits.

I'm just confused because so many people have different things and so does the shop I work at and being an early adopter beta buyer I don't have any of it.

The support started out wonderful but it has started lacking a bit, I know once you have the time you'll report back to everyone but it sucks having to wait on you because YOU were the one who made the customer service great it was that nice personal touch so without that support doesn't seem up to par.

I just hate it because I feel like I'm complaining but trust me I'm not I'm just frustrated because it seems the love isn't being shared with the FC community as it should've and we're being left behind I love what the Carta had provided me so far and as I said sometimes I just feel abandoned when all these other post and people are sharing all these happy stories and goodies but we were supposed to be first on the list.

Last edited:

Azn2101

I doubt they would give out guidelines for people. They are going to make them how they want to but As a glassblower they should be testing out their designs and making sure they function before selling them. I believe that was the whole point of making a section on the website so the pieces listed there are vetted by focusv and guaranteed to work well with the carta.

It could very well be the percs but i think it has more to do with it being a recycler. In order to get the water to actually recycle and function as intended you need to inhale harder than you would with just a normal piece regardless of the perc. I know a lot of people with recyclers on the peak that complained about the same issue of oil overflowing no matter how they inhaled on their recyclers.

Also usually a hole perc even with less holes is going to be less restricted than a slit perc. Airflow is determined by the size of the smallest opening. So the airflow on the 3 hole perc should be determined by the size of the smallest hole which id bet is still wider than any slit on the stock attachment and would let air and water flow through more easily

I see what your saying about the smallest diameter opening will determine the apex airflow. I just assumed that the Perc would be the issue but even with the MBG single Perc hangman (or whatever the proper name for that is) was still too much restriction which really made me womder at that point but the smallest looking point on the G&F piece seem to be the airholes points on the g&f attachment. I'm not sure if the water feeding directly back into the donut Perc has anything to do with this but that chamber couldn't be used at about 90% water unless leaned back so that the arm was completely submerged.

I thought they gave away the first round of glass for blowers to work with but if that's not the case than your right in the that the blowers can do what they like but when I pay for a custom design it would be cool to at least get what is asked for at the start you know? A straight up&down "Tuba" safety chamber arm is by far much safer than the gradual incline arm on some or the hook like shape on mine cause it's not like the OJ Klein or other pieces where the arm goes up much higher for safety.

It was just a reverse pressure incident waiting to happen though.

Azn2101,
I see what your saying about the smallest diameter opening will determine the apex airflow. I just assumed that the Perc would be the issue but even with the MBG single Perc hangman (or whatever the proper name for that is) was still too much restriction which really made me womder at that point but the smallest looking point on the G&F piece seem to be the airholes points on the g&f attachment. I'm not sure if the water feeding directly back into the donut Perc has anything to do with this but that chamber couldn't be used at about 90% water unless leaned back so that the arm was completely submerged.

I thought they gave away the first round of glass for blowers to work with but if that's not the case than your right in the that the blowers can do what they like but when I pay for a custom design it would be cool to at least get what is asked for at the start you know? A straight up&down "Tuba" safety chamber arm is by far much safer than the gradual incline arm on some or the hook like shape on mine cause it's not like the OJ Klein or other pieces where the arm goes up much higher for safety.

Could you post a picture of your glass? I'm still new to all this and I'm curious to see what you are describing so I can better visualize it.

Does anyone have any glass by @fluid.glass on IG here is a link to one of his I really like, any opinion to help a new guy out who has never owned any glass other than a Poseidon for my SAI and the glass that came with the Carta? Here is the link to the piece I like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTsz1npx6D/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sniper2075,

guyonthecouch

Still haven't seen a Carta in person yet but I've read that it has a silicone air path? Is this correct? How are you suppose to clean the Carta's air path? ..not a good idea to mix rubbing alcohol with silicone.

guyonthecouch,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Still haven't seen a Carta in person yet but I've read that it has a silicone air path? Is this correct? How are you suppose to clean the Carta's air path? ..not a good idea to mix rubbing alcohol with silicone.
Mostly stainless steel, i believe where the glass connects it is silicone. A quick swab with a qtip dipped in iso is all thats really needed to clean it. Its not like your soaking it in iso. But if you are really concerned im sure you could use something else like DC Cleaner or even maybe warm water.

ZC glass is giving out premade glass bottoms if thats what your talking about. 1-2 per glassblower that wanted them. Not sure if focusV made a deal with them to do that or not but theyre just a 3rd party manufacturer that makes various things not carta related also. That has nothing to do with the supposed aftermarket section theyd be adding to the website.

But you are 100% correct if you design and get someone to make a custom piece it should be exactly how you designed it and if its not you should take it up with the person who made it. Thats why most artists will ask for a down payment and then final payment upon completion/approval.

And i dont think its the drain thats the issue. I think its just the overall design of most recyclers. In general you have to inhale a little harder and longer than you would a regular rig to get the water moving. These devices require lighter shorter puffs otherwise the oil will flood outside of the dish.

To test it, Try filling up whatever rigs your using with just enough water that the perc functions but not enough water to make it recycle and try using a lighter shorter puff and i would guess that the oil wont flood out
Does anyone have any glass by @fluid.glass on IG here is a link to one of his I really like, any opinion to help a new guy out who has never owned any glass other than a Poseidon for my SAI and the glass that came with the Carta? Here is the link to the piece I like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTsz1npx6D/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Looks like it functions well. The main thing you want to look out for is to make sure it has a nice seal. A way to test/show it is to cover the atomizer with your thumb and then inhale through the piece filled with water. It obviously shouldnt function or bubble, if it does theres some air coming in from where the glass attaches. So I would just suggest to ask the artist to do that before you buy anything

Last edited:

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Did beta users have to specifically contact @FocusV to get a Magna Carta?

If any beta user wanted anything engraved on their MC, then they needed to contact @FocusV before a set date back in June. Those would be the all black MC's. :nod:

All other beta's are guaranteed to get an MC, although I believe some of those would be the black MC's and some would be the all white MC's. Not 100% positive about my last statement regarding colors, however. :shrug:

Last edited:
Shrike,

Azn2101

Mostly stainless steel, i believe where the glass connects it is silicone. A quick swab with a qtip dipped in iso is all thats really needed to clean it. Its not like your soaking it in iso. But if you are really concerned im sure you could use something else like DC Cleaner or even maybe warm water.

ZC glass is giving out premade glass bottoms if thats what your talking about. 1-2 per glassblower that wanted them. Not sure if focusV made a deal with them to do that or not but theyre just a 3rd party manufacturer that makes various things not carta related also. That has nothing to do with the supposed aftermarket section theyd be adding to the website.

But you are 100% correct if you design and get someone to make a custom piece it should be exactly how you designed it and if its not you should take it up with the person who made it. Thats why most artists will ask for a down payment and then final payment upon completion/approval.

And i dont think its the drain thats the issue. I think its just the overall design of most recyclers. In general you have to inhale a little harder and longer than you would a regular rig to get the water moving. These devices require lighter shorter puffs otherwise the oil will flood outside of the dish.

To test it, Try filling up whatever rigs your using with just enough water that the perc functions but not enough water to make it recycle and try using a lighter shorter puff and i would guess that the oil wont flood out

Looks like it functions well. The main thing you want to look out for is to make sure it has a nice seal. A way to test/show it is to cover the atomizer with your thumb and then inhale through the piece filled with water. It obviously shouldnt function or bubble, if it does theres some air coming in from where the glass attaches. So I would just suggest to ask the artist to do that before you buy anything

I tried every water level under the sun. Uneven sacrificed the use of the top chamber in an effort to just get SOME mediocre use out of it to go with the aesthetics but even that created too much suction. So in the picture where I show the water level from the left (safety arm) side I worked from slightly below the Perc because the water in the arm provides that little extra to fully submerge it and that was still too much restriction for a natural pull.

We are trying to work out a design that would work with. The confines of his work but that's the hung about custom designs...they're prices on how the artist is pretty much feeling that day along with a few other elements that will determine how they value it so when I ask "Hey what do you think about X & x for thus amd that" and the responses I've gotten have usually been asking for more money. Also when working under his 7/10 discount it makes the design that much harder to make & judge & agree on a price for something so far.

But my biggest issue is that I asked for a custom design. He said he had a really old design he was playing with but never had much customer I retest but thought might work good for a Carta Top. I didn't like the function of just dripping back down the well like sand in an hourglass to drain the top recycling chamber so I asked if he could put a Klein chamber but so he did and the piece he said was mine was this one when asked if there was any progress:

I don't know if you can see but the percs holes are facing outward horizontally and is a much more Heady piece of work that looked a bit interesting with such a long safety chamber arm arching around but I was happy with that...What came was this which isn't bad (in terms of what I imagined to be sitting atop my Carta) but is a big difference than what I was told I was receiving:

This just wasn't what I expected to get instead and I really tried hard to work with it even knowing it was wasting part of a dab every time.

Like I mentioned he did take it back but negotiating a price from an artist who's already shown that he can have issues with even single Perc pieces so im just really sceptical about giving more money for a design that again might not work because of the fact that these devices do require a step above "Sipping" but no more than basically a drag on a joint or else youźll splash oil with just stock parts so this is a delicate matter with delicate moving parts but unfortunately there's a common thread of these same issues among a lot of his pieces so it just doesn't inspire faith especially when this is an industry where you truly "Get What You Pay For". Down to that last penny. I'm just skeptical to put down more money you know?

Edit: The bubble cap image isn't loading but the magnet came loose in the wrapping and was never able to stick to the base but the issue was it was too tiny/too teardrop shaped so when moved from anything other than a centered position it dislodged itself and allowed air to enter around it

Edit #2: He really is a cool guy or else he wouldn't have taken it back to help rectify the situation. It's just hard to come up with another design im confident in & we can both agree on.

Last edited:
Azn2101,
Reactions: EconMan

jimsmith90210

Who Is Nate?
All other beta's are guaranteed to get an MC, although I believe some of those would be the black MC's and some would be the all white MC's. Not 100% positive about my last statement regarding colors, however. :shrug:

Thank you, I knew I didn't get in on the custom engraving but I wasn't sure if missed anything else.

jimsmith90210,
Reactions: Shrike

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@Azn2101 if it sucks the oil at any water level it could also be the carb cap youre using. I saw a few people
With the carta and even the stock glass and carb cap that basically had the same issue you are having. Some people say those marble caps with no noodle or anything protruding down into the bucket work alot better and solved their flooding issue

Mynameismud,
Reactions: Azn2101

seapickle

Snootchie Bootchies
I really hope they give out some general guidelines like that a top shouldn't have a point in it where the airflow becomes more restricted than the atomizer already makes it from its slits because after trying a mindblownglass single Perc and my g&f Recycler both suck the material straight out of the insert and into the Atomizer housing with a natural draw. I was shocked to find the MindBlown sucked just as much out which makes me think it has to be the percs on the devices because while the g&f top has more of a potential for more diffusion being a duel chamber, the tilted Perc only uses 2 of the 3 airholes since it's tilted away from one and even if the 3rd worked. 3x 3-4mm holes is way less airflow than the 7 mini slits that are in the stock top that also produce a lot more small bubbles, eliminating that "chug" that kills dabs.

Which me and the Mindblown owner have gone back to for MUCH better preformance.

Has anyone recieved a flat bottomed titanium bucket? A friend got one and says it kills the indented ones but I always suspected that the lack of an indentation was what made the Quartz so inconsistent with results.

@Fkn0wned my buddy that got the non indented insert recieved a V1 along with it too so im wondering the same thing.

The flat bottom titanium bucket is what came on my release edition Carta. Mine has close to 1400 dabs on it and it still hits great. Focus V sent me a couple new dab atomizers a couple weeks ago. The new ones they sent have the lip around the titanium bucket. I haven’t used them yet since the one the Carta came with still works great.

seapickle,

Azn2101

@Azn2101 if it sucks the oil at any water level it could also be the carb cap youre using. I saw a few people
With the carta and even the stock glass and carb cap that basically had the same issue you are having. Some people say those marble caps with no noodle or anything protruding down into the bucket work alot better and solved their flooding issue

But wouldn't that just create more pressure from more air being pulled thru the opening in the carb cap would cause the same amount of pressure just with a fasted air Intake speed created from the suction?

Or is it the lack of a tight seal that might've made the stock cap a better option.

I already sent it back so it's not something I'm worried about too much. it's just a friendly heads up for anyone looking to aquire a top of any kind for the Carta so that they'll have some info to goop off of.

I've actually gone through a few caps: a crystal star quartz one which is good And I still use. The carb from g&f, not good, a Puffco directional which isn't a great seal but isnt bad either and finally a stock cap sanded down slightly on one side to create a directional type flow I actually liked that one the best until the crystal star quartz.

If the caps To FocusV had were more uniform than I'd be willing to go for one but I really don't want one that's going to stick out like a sore thumb you know.

There should be like an option of 3 that they give like they just reach in and out of those 3 grabbed you get to choose one of them or just some form of choice where you have some control over the product you're to be receiving.

I've found the snout to actually be a really nice guiding tool for the bubble cap that way I can worry about the base being level to further reduce the chances of oil being taken from the Insert itself.

Plus the feeling of rolling a bubble cap around a hot banger with no stick is so smooth to me for some reason. It's like the opposite of fingernails on a chalk board.

Azn2101,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
But wouldn't that just create more pressure from more air being pulled thru the opening in the carb cap would cause the same amount of pressure just with a fasted air Intake speed created from the suction?

Or is it the lack of a tight seal that might've made the stock cap a better option.

I dont know for sure ive never used the marble carb caps ive just seen a few people that have them and said it solved their issues.

I dont think more air coming into the banger is an issue unless youre inhaling aggressively.

i actually think creating an airtight seal + having directional airflow is a bigger issue especially if part of the carb cap is sitting inside the bucket. An airtight seal creates a vacuum which naturally forces the oil up the walls of the bucket and then you add a directional airflow into the bucket which is further going to force oil up the walls especially the lower the cap sits in the bucket

Mynameismud,
Reactions: Azn2101

Azn2101

I dont know for sure ive never used the marble carb caps ive just seen a few people that have them and said it solved their issues.

I dont think more air coming into the banger is an issue unless youre inhaling aggressively.

i actually think creating an airtight seal + having directional airflow is a bigger issue especially if part of the carb cap is sitting inside the bucket. An airtight seal creates a vacuum which naturally forces the oil up the walls of the bucket and then you add a directional airflow into the bucket which is further going to force oil up the walls especially the lower the cap sits in the bucket

I follow but I'm thinking the vacuum that is created from a natural, "easy" draw (at least on the piece I sent back) is still more than enough airflow than the atomizer slits can handle. Creating a want of air that it just can't ever get while capped so it forces uneven channels of air into the chamber/insert.

At least that's what I figured when I used a v1 top that whistled when you started to pull too hard cause the cutout in the safety chamber was really small but talk about a piece of glass protruding too far into something. Those v1 tops almost felt dirty because if you put your lips at the very edge you would be slightly puckering. So I had to put my lips a little lower so my lips were resting on a less tapered part but when I saw a picture of myself it straight looked like some "Robosexual" action.

That I deny all further accusations of past that one photo:rofl:

Damn it's been a long time since I've caught some Futurama.

Azn2101,
Reactions: EconMan

EconMan

Cannabis Economics
Well ot seems my atty was shipped today after i posted?? Maybe just coincidence but im super frustrated as im not sure how that is great.cs? It will be almost a month since i filed my warranty claim for my atty and that is too long for a new product that i maybe used a few times and dont think it worked to full potential. I didnt buy the beta and i bought from 3rd oarty but that is fully supported by focus..i guess my complaint is just that it will be a dang month for an attuly and i was trying to add a repair kit to my order but they were sold out two weeks ago when i ordered and got a crappy response back about buying from a retailer and so forth and saw.them back in stock the next day and never sent me an email or anything so now i finally get ahipping but nothing about the repair kit..just not this super shining service i guess iexpected.oh well.ill be vaping again one day.

I like my Carta as I also liked my Peak. I've written and commented on the "vs" aspects. In short, the Carta's atomizer design works much better. The actual design itself is just superior. However, the problem with the Carta as a company, is scale. Right now they simply can't deliver the product on time and the best that can be said about "organized support" is Focus going through "growing pains." There are two nightmares for any business. Too many sales and too few. Now some people might say too many sales is a good problem to have, and it is, until until a company starts to suffer negative margins as support and capital costs escalate. I've seen this phenomena over and over again.

I talked a good friend and client (I run a payments company) who has a well-known vape store into carrying the Carta. His large order of units and accessories were never shipped (been a couple weeks) although his money was taken by focus. He finally got fed up and soured to the product if not company. During that time his money was tied up, he was selling Peaks because Puffco has the inventory. So he got pissed at Focus. This is not how to build distribution channels. I would be pissed too. Screwing over one's retailers isn't good business practice.

This practice is also a good way to get your credit card merchant account cancelled. Taking people's money and not timely shipping product is the number one reason for chargebacks, when a consumer "challenges" the validity of a cc charge to their bank. If the percentage of "chargebacks" to total charges exceeds 1% I (my company) gets nervous and I start sticking my nose into their business looking for ways to bring it down. At 1.5% if I want the client (and I usually do) then I'm arguing with a bank not to shut them down and afford them a chance (if you get shut down you get put on a sort of "no charging" list.... no merchant accounts for you). At 3%, it is out of my hands. The client could be my mom and I can't help her.

SWITCHING GEARS HERE
Onto questions about how to use the Carta.
A quick reference. IMO, with the Ti, lowest heat is often too low and temp 2 is often too hot (why anyone would want to use 3 or 4 with that tiny crucible is a mystery to me? those settings taste horrible.). I have not had good success with the quartz however I have learned keep trying new crucibles until you find one that "fits" (too much work for me -- defeats the purpose of a dabbing appliance).
Anyway, using the TI here is what I do using bho distillate and it produces tasty rich hits that are potent.
  1. If the Carta is cold, do a dry run on level two... being sure to cigar puff a few times to get the chamber, carb cap, etc hot.
  2. Load your oil towards the end of the first dry cycle, cap it, then immediately run another cycle on level one and run with that. Not harsh yet potent and rich.
  3. One 3mm glass ball does wonders for efficiency and taste by "wicking" the oil out of the bottom right-edges of the tiny crucible.

Hoosier

Doesn't the air path of this device go over insulated coil leads, and a small block of chinese Titanium? A simple google search for "focus carta air path" turned up both posts, and an image.

https://i.imgur.com/rlfXgx7.png

The Carta has better stock glass, though
The air path is the metal block and the tube. It is contained. The wires are clearly outside of that air path. I’m not sure why people look at that picture and come to any other conclusion.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
The air path is the metal block and the tube. It is contained. The wires are clearly outside of that air path. I’m not sure why people look at that picture and come to any other conclusion.

because the picture by itself isn't very descriptive? I'm just going off of the accompanying text in the thread where the picture was found.

muunch,
Top Bottom