CARS...what ya got what you like??

OO

Technical Skeptical
btw the most tasteful mod for any subie is a roof rack.

OO,

Carbon

mpiccorelli89 said:
06 subaru STI...silver with gold BBS rims...ill post pictures later...if anyone has mod ideas plz let me know
PS: A simple stage 2 setup (turbo-back exhaust and software tune) will give you gains of 50+ horsepower and 75+ lb. ft. of torque.

Carbon,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Carbon said:
mpiccorelli89 said:
06 subaru STI...silver with gold BBS rims...ill post pictures later...if anyone has mod ideas plz let me know
PS: A simple stage 2 setup (turbo-back exhaust and software tune) will give you gains of 50+ horsepower and 75+ lb. ft. of torque.

Before anything else replace the factory air filter with a K&N or a quality cold air intake.

chucku,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Do any of you get problems with K&N air filters? I had a 2006 GTI and the sticky oil from that filter actually started coating the inside of the throttle body and after about 14 months had destroyed it beyond cleaning/repair. It was not over oiled nor were there any other mechanical problems.

Since then I recommend cold air intake chargers with real filters, not washable oil impregnated ones like K&N.

DeepFried,

vapirtoo

From motorcycles to cars, two strokes and fours, never had a problem.
You used the red K&N spray can oil and it really messed up
your intakes!?
I always wondered if that could happen... I guess it did. :(

vapirtoo,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
I got my 2002 accord v6.. Although I must admit, I too have the Subaru love. For my next car Im thinking any sti under 06 or the 09 hatch. I didnt like the hatch when it first came out but after seeing some of them modded they really started to grow on me. Anyway.. heres the accord.

Js1.jpg

js3.jpg

HighSti,

Carbon

chucku said:
Before anything else replace the factory air filter with a K&N or a quality cold air intake.
OO said:
intake mods don't do much for most subies.
He's right. The STi intake is pretty well designed from the start and K&N filter replacements can cause issues with oil as the other poster mentioned. There really isn't any need to mess with it on all but the biggest mod jobs.

Carbon,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
2clicker said:
are you familiar with the American Expedition Vehicles Jeep conversions? they are doing some amazing stuff right now.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/

so i change my wanted vehicle to an AEV Hemi converted 4dr JK on 37" pillows

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk_wrangler.php

to each their own, i feel its a waste of money. for 3-4 grand you can have something that looks and handles more bad ass. but if you want brand new and a cool "off the shelf" look then perhaps that is the way to go. i know plenty of folks who go that route. im a cheap person and like old school (simpler) things.

moving on though, this is for sale...im digging the old vans/buses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqzA4oQHE8

while i agree they are marked up quite a bit, they are def not about an "off the shelf" look.

AEV is creating the best off road vehicles on the planet bar none period. and they will do toyotas as well! if i wasnt driving a jeep id be driving a toyota truck or fj, but the new jeep JKs are designed sooooo well for off road use.

and you COULD NOT have anything that would perform anywhere near the level of an AEV custom JK for 3-4 grand. not possible unless your fabbing the parts yourself and making an engine yourself.

i know all about doing things yourself and all that... just look at the homemade vape thread :brow: but this is completely different.

AEV has put in SO MANY hours of research and development on their products its amazing. besides the price of those is nothing compared to some of the 200-300K trail rigs that are showing up on the trails everywhere these days. while a 6 cylinder will do you well on the trail, its not an 8. putting a 5.7L or 6.1L hemi in a JK may seem extreme to some, but it is essential to others.

and they arent about the "look" as much as the performance. maybe their customs dont look "big" enough, but they will outperform anything else available today. its all about staying as low to the ground as possible while running the largest tires possible. tire size is where the ground clearance is really gained. ;) not lift size.

2clicker,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Carbon said:
chucku said:
OO said:
intake mods don't do much for most subies.
He's right. The STi intake is pretty well designed from the start and K&N filter replacements can cause issues with oil as the other poster mentioned. There really isn't any need to mess with it on all but the biggest mod jobs.

Same with the new Honda Si's. It seems like new cars really got intake systems down. I will say however that it is ALWAYS worth it to switch from MAF to MAP based tunes. I'm sure COBB will let you do that in a subie. You don't have a real tune if you are using a mass airflow sensor...period.

darkrom,

crawdad

floatin
2clicker said:
and you COULD NOT have anything that would perform anywhere near the level of an AEV custom JK for 3-4 grand. not possible unless your fabbing the parts yourself and making an engine yourself.

:D i pull out modified yj to jk and similar loads of times trying to follow me, but hey its cool. there is no perfect setup (i have the stucks to prove it ha!), driving skills are a big part of it. it can be done on the cheap but yes you need to do all the work yourself or have friends.

crawdad,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
2clicker said:

:D i pull out modified yj to jk and similar loads of times trying to follow me, but hey its cool. there is no perfect setup (i have the stucks to prove it ha!), driving skills are a big part of it. it can be done on the cheap but yes you need to do all the work yourself or have friends.

i didnt mean to say that any JK was top shit. just that the AEV custom rigs are top shit.

they will also do YJs! :brow: i just meant to say that 3-4 grand isnt going to get the the quality of rig that AEV provides. they do more testing on their products than anyone else. they have researchers developing the most demanding equipment. they have taken their vehicles to parts of the earth that NO OTHER vehicle has EVER gone.

so if you were to buy the AEV parts and install them all yourself you could really save some money thats for sure. and they will in fact sell it to you so that you can install it yourself. again though no other aftermarket suspension/protection/bodymods/wheels/tires/etc... is going to get you where AEV can get you.

AEV is pushing the industry like no other MFG.

can a 3-4K rig provide you with a great time? for sure! but it wont take you to the edges of the world in the most extreme conditions.

and your absolutely right about the driving skills. even the nicest most well equipped rig on the planet wont do much good if the driver is worthless... :lol:

what do you think about toyota trucks for wheeling?

2clicker,

crawdad

floatin
top shit or bottom shit, its still shit! :lol: just messing.

i prefer open body type vehicles for woods riding and for me its strictly cj. nothing wrong with a moderately built toyota though, dependable and lightweight usually means its going on through it one way or another. bobbed or tubed out rear always looked cool on them to me, know a guy who has one and i usually have issues keeping up with his speed off-road (suspension is better than mine), im more of a slow poke.

once you have built and repaired and wheeled a lot of different things you figure out what works and what does not, specific models rarely apply its what you modify and how you drive it.

best of luck on getting a rig.

crawdad,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
best of luck on getting a rig.

thanks!

until my next purchase this is what im driving... although it doesnt see much other than concrete/pavement more often than not
-5.jpg

31"s on 3" '01 XJ 4.0HO

2clicker,

OO

Technical Skeptical
darkrom said:
I will say however that it is ALWAYS worth it to switch from MAF to MAP based tunes. You don't have a real tune if you are using a mass airflow sensor...period.
why?

OO,

chucku

Charles Urbane
My 2010 WB Jetta is getting an APR stage 1 tune tomorrow. HP increases to 257, torque increases to 303 ib ft. This is from 200 HP and 207 lb ft stock. Can hardly wait to see how much faster it will be.

chucku,

chucku

Charles Urbane
OO said:
darkrom said:
I will say however that it is ALWAYS worth it to switch from MAF to MAP based tunes. You don't have a real tune if you are using a mass airflow sensor...period.
why?

IIRC the MAF is part of the emission control system. Without it you would fail your emissions test.

chucku,

Frickr

mass airflow sensors read the velocity of the air, while as a map sensor reads the pressure (PSI) of the manifold. in a turboed application a maf sensor is nearly worthless as the velocity of the air doesnt really change a whole lot, but the pressure in the manifold does by alot. so from a tuning standpoint, the map sensor will be alot more accurate in sensing how much air is going into the cylinders to adjust fuel mixtures accordingly. :cool:

Frickr,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Frickr said:
mass airflow sensors read the velocity of the air, while as a map sensor reads the pressure (PSI) of the manifold. in a turboed application a maf sensor is nearly worthless as the velocity of the air doesnt really change a whole lot, but the pressure in the manifold does by alot. so from a tuning standpoint, the map sensor will be alot more accurate in sensing how much air is going into the cylinders to adjust fuel mixtures accordingly. :cool:
so then why are all new turboed subarus maf?

OO,
Top Bottom