Carpet melted to titanium nail

bluberybaltbalt

Would it be okay to boil a grade 2 titanium nail to clean it? In this case it's a santa cruz shredder brand nail so im not worried about the quality of the titanium? But will it oxide more? Also I have never seasoned the nail but have taken 20 plus dabs off since i got it so should i still season it or no? And also the other day I accidentally dropped a hot domeless nail on the carpet and the carpet melted to the nail. Can i use a drummel wire brush attachment to clean that.? Or should i toss the nail?

bluberybaltbalt,
I'd use a weak acid with a green abrasive pad to get ti clean and shiny again. I personally use liquid barkeeper's friend. A ISO rinse after just to make sure it's all off, then re-season.

Last edited:
mrboote,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I would soak in iso, then torch, and repeat as needed. I would avoid a wire brush because I would be afraid of scratching the Ti possibly releasing little metal flakes. Could be very unlikely but I wouldn't take the chance personally.

And many people season their nails with reclaim or a lower grade concentrate, since you are essentially dabbing a hit that you are not taking, it's better to lose crap than gold. This video is decent http://videos.nuggetry.com/others/nuggetry-tv-special-how-to-season-a-titanium-nail/

aesthyrian,
I would avoid a wire brush because I would be afraid of scratching the Ti possibly releasing little metal flakes. Could be very unlikely but I wouldn't take the chance personally.
The only way metal flakes are going to pose a hazard is if you run the dremmel while taking a rip. This is metal, not ceramic it doesn't flake and crumble.

And many people season their nails with reclaim or a lower grade concentrate, since you are essentially dabbing a hit that you are not taking, it's better to lose crap than gold. This video is decent http://videos.nuggetry.com/others/nuggetry-tv-special-how-to-season-a-titanium-nail/
That video seems to be full of misinformation. HE products do not come with a polish or varnish that needs to be removed with a water quench, that's straight BS. Maybe people prefer to kick-start the inevitable oxidation, but that's all that is doing. If your nail is "looking a lil crusty bro" you don't need to run out and buy all new ones, it's 100% oxidation that is cleanable. Those bros in that vid should go ahead and finish high school before they try to kick the knowledge, a billion dabs does not a scientist make.

mrboote,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Thanks for correcting what I said. Could you elaborate on the best way to season a nail?

aesthyrian,
^Opinions vary on the best techniques (obviously) and I am a long way from being any kind of expert. If my reply had a tone, it was more in response to that vid, once I realized those are nuggetry's in-house "experts" and they are saying that HE intentionally coats their products with unsafe polish.
I think the best way to season a nail is just through normal usage. The first few times you heat and apply oil, it will taste like shit so many ppl use bad quality product and don't inhale.

mrboote,
Reactions: z9

z9

As for the carpet melted to the nail, just torch the fuck out of the nail and clean with iso if necessary. I've done this before and all the carpet came off without scrubbing.

Like mrboote said, just "season" the nail through normal use. If you really want to season the entire nail in one shot just make some qwiso from vaped bud and drop that on the nail. I don't understand what all this mess is about seasoning the nail by dunking it in water when its hot. It gets "seasoned" from dabbing, the sections of my nail that get heated but don't get dabbed on never look the same as the part of the cup where I dab so I don't see how water can help season it.

z9,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I don't understand what all this mess is about seasoning the nail by dunking it in water when its hot.

When I bought my KO Domeless nail I did the water dunk because a video they provided instructed me to do so.

:shrug:

aesthyrian,

z9

Believe me, I've seen the videos from HE and others and just don't understand how the water helps. I would like to see their science behind the water dunk. The heat should burn off any oils remaining from manufacturing. I've even tried it myself and didn't see any "carbon" come off my new nail, granted it was not a KO nail.

From the HE blog:
Heat Retention Fallacies, The Secret To Proper Seasoning Revealed

Wire Brushing Titanium

Last edited:
z9,
Top Bottom