Carbon Filter Adapters with Vaporizers

SteezyJ

Alright, So I am going to be buying an EHLE 250mL soon, and was researching different accessories/ attachments. I came across a carbon filter adapter, which is supposed to filter carcinogens and other residues, thus keeping the unit itself more clean/vapors tastier. I was wondering if anyone has ever used these with vaporizers and whether or not they recommended them?

Thanks

SteezyJ,

lookmomnohands

I used to use one towards the end of my combustion days. I first had a Roor CFA and then the standard McFinns one. It did work pretty well with keeping my tube clean, and I found the smoke to be more light than when you're completely sans CF or even when you attach an AC. What I didn't like about CF's was 1) having to wash the carbon and then letting them dry, takes a while for them to dry and they never get 100% clean IMO, 2) sometimes the carbon would fall out of the adapter and end up in my water...that always sketched me out, and most of all 3) you need to be really careful with ash/combusted flowers going INTO the adapter during the pull. Nothing like hot burning material burning your carbon...tastes/feels terrible. One way around this was to top the carbon with some shake, or even stems.

I've never used one for vaporizing, mainly cause I don't really see the point and think it's overkill. Vapor by itself is much "cleaner" than smoke will ever be. I also don't think vapor causes the same residues as smoking at all. I don't think there is a residue at all actually. I once didn't clean my glass for a month (got super lazy this summer lol) and didn't notice any resin building up like you find in those bongs that haven't been cleaned for months on end.

If you're someone who combusts, than I think the CF's are worth the hassle. But for vapor thats already clean, and lighter, i don't think it is.

lookmomnohands,
Reactions: Roger D

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I never found it useful for vaping even though I tried it because I had one and hoped that it would help with my sensitivity to chlorophyll. I do however use it for my dabbing and find it eases my throat burn due to the waxes I get from bho.

z9

I always thought that carbon filters killed the flavor of my smoke, but that first hit out of them was always so smooth. Like others said, maintenance is a pain in the ass, washing and drying and whatnot. I used it once for vaporizing (not dabbing) and thought that it was pointless. It just added extra drag and made vaporizing on the bong even more difficult. I didn't use it for long enough with my bong to see if it impacted the amount of vapor resin that builds up on the glass but I like my reclaim so the more the merrier.

However I do want a carbon attachment minus the carbon just to get my nail off of the male joint of my bong. I'm worried that the repeated heating and cooling of the nail may end up cracking the joint and therefore my bong. Nobody seems to make a 14mm male to 14mm female adapter, the only ones like this are carbon filter attachments. Some can be had on Ebay for as little as $15 shipped.

Some downstems can fit carbon in them without getting the carbon wet and it makes it so that you don't have to buy an adapter. Thats actually what I used to do. You can even push a steel mesh screen into the downstem and pile activated carbon on top of the screen just to test out the carbon and see how you like it. A downstem like this will work (a lot like my old one), assuming your bong takes a downstem. http://www.bongoutlet.ca/downstem-fingers-diffused-18mm-p-928.html
Just fill the downstem with carbon and you have a carbon filtered bong without the attachment.

z9,

lookmomnohands

Nobody seems to make a 14mm male to 14mm female adapter, the only ones like this are carbon filter attachments.

Have no fear! Aqua Lab is here!

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...lt-90-14-mm-female-to-14-mm-male-adapter.html
http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...lt-45-14-mm-male-to-14-mm-male-adapter-1.html
http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...-45-14-mm-male-to-14-mm-female-adapter-2.html
http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...lt-45-14-mm-male-to-14-mm-female-adapter.html

Also, i'm sure if you contact a number of glassblowers (Fishbone, Ghost cat, etc), they'll be more than able and willing to make you one or however many you'd request.

z9

I don't mean to hijack anyones' thread

Thanks for the links. Haha I've looked at a couple of those... apparently I was too vaked at the time to remember. I need the 90 degrees (shouldn't it be 180 degrees?) which is much harder to find, impossible to find locally around here. I prefer to buy my glass locally because I run the risk of family finding my mail order glass. Yeah people will blow custom glass for pretty cheap from what I've seen. My friend got a custom piece kind of like that for his mobius and it turned out great, very affordable too. I'll probably order form ALT next time I break something, which will probably be sooner than later knowing me.

z9,
Top Bottom