Cannaoil Aioli - Medicated Mayonnaise

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
I was having a bit of a creative conundrum thinking of some good food that I could medicate with that fell in to certain criteria:
- Food that uses coconut or olive oil.
- Food that doesn't require heat to eat.
- Food that can go with almost anything, any time of day.

I hated having to down a pastry for my high. I actually don't care very much for sweets, and I was always concerned about the heat needed to cook them; some recipes for brownies and cookies call for a temperature higher than THC's vaporization point and I felt this might ruin potency. I also wanted something that can be consumed in a diverse range of recipes and dishes.

Not for those who hate Mayonnaise, this guide will help you create a medicated Aioli perfect for sandwiches, burgers, fries, fish, chicken and any other food that might call for a creamy lubricant.

Basic Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Edible Oil
- 2-4 Cloves Garlic
- Pinch of Kosher / Sea Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tspn Lemon Juice
- 1/2-1 tspn Dijon
- Misc. spices to taste.

You can use Coconut oil or Olive oil for this recipe. When making your edible oil, make sure to research decarboxylation, it's a pretty important step.

If you've ever seen lab results for weed, you'll notice the total THC count includes THC and THC-a. THC-a is inactive and can be turned in to psychoactive THC through heat. There are a few processes for this, but most involve baking ground up herb in a baking tray for about 20 minutes around 200F. For more exact measures, please conduct your own research and find something you're comfortable with trying. It is still a debated topic, and I haven't brushed up beyond my preferences. But it is an absolutely essential step in getting the most out of your herb. If it's an abv-butter, you don't need to decarb.

You would also do well to supplement your edible oil with granulated soy lecithin to help your system take in as much THC as possible as lecithin helps promote bio-availability of THC. Another good step in the binding process is to freeze your oil after a session in the oven. I often repeat this step two or three times. You'll notice the color of your oil get richly green each time.

Also remember, the taste and quality of your oil highly depends on what buds you extracted with. This recipe can taste pretty great and earthy on a lot of foods, but if you have a poor tasting oil, you might want to just stick to chocolate based pastries to cover the flavor. However, if you, like me, enjoy the weed taste, keep reading.

Now to the recipe:

- Turn your Garlic Cloves in to a Garlic Paste
Crush a clove under a sturdy blade until it is in shreds. Add a small pinch of Kosher Salt / Sea Salt, and scrape back and forth on the cutting board. The Salt, along with the scraping motion, help further break down your cloves to the pasty consistency we're looking for.

- Separate the Egg Yolk from the Whites
This can be done by cracking the egg in to your hand, letting the whites ooze past your slightly spread fingers. While raw eggs are safe for consumption in small amounts, if you feel weird about it you can boil the egg for about 1-3 minutes to cook off any bacteria. Do not overdo this, we need the Yolk watery.

- Whisk Away
In a large bowl, whisk Egg Yolk, Garlic Paste, Lemon Juice, and Dijon until the mixture is slightly frothy & uniformly pale yellow in color.

- The Most Important Step
(If you're using Coconut Oil, heat it to it's liquid state.)
While whisking constantly, add a few drops oil per revolution to your egg yolk mixture sporadically. Think a small amount of oil every 10-20 revolutions. You should start to notice the mixture thickening if you're doing it right. You wanna go low and slow on adding the oil in order to properly emulsify the mixture, that is to say, for the oil to bind well to the yolk. If it remains watery and separated, you put too much oil at once. To fix this, you can get another bowl, another Egg Yolk, and slowly add the first mixture to the new Yolk, keeping moderation in mind when adding more oil.

Five minutes later, you should have half a cup of light green, creamy sauce that goes with almost anything. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you'd like more kick in flavor, you can add any of the following: a little onion powder / paprika / garlic powder / horseradish / red pepper flake / any of your favorite spices in moderation.

Move from bowl to a mason jar, or good quality tupperware, and this can last you a while in the fridge. Remember to LABEL IT or someone in your house might have the best and worst sandwhich of their lives.

Great thing about this recipe is being able to appropriate dosage to tea / table spoons. For an easy medicated snack, toast sourdough and spread one teaspoon of your Medicated Mayonnaise.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Top Bottom