227g Butter (2 sticks)
231g Heavy Cream (1 pint)
227g Evaporated Milk (1 cup)
336g Honey OR 328g Corn Syrup* (1 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract OR the innards of 1-2 vanilla beans

240g Dark Brown Sugar (1 cup)
400g White Sugar (2 cups)

Equipment:
Sauce pan or pot (at least 4qt size, smaller & things will get messy)
Kitchen scale (preferred) or measuring cups
Candy thermometer (a temp probe or laser thermometer will work in a pinch)
whisk
baking sheet or pan a.k.a. jellyroll (rimmed, ~12x15 or thereabouts preferably)

There's a few different ways to infuse reefer goodies into this, using cannabutter is one option, adding reclaim to the butter and/or cream, using "condenser milk" made from some vapcap parts & cream, or doing the rapid abv>alcohol>cream extraction described in my raspberry bourbon canna truffles recipe. Anywhoozle, here are the rest of the instructions, largely adapted from this over at Allrecipies:

In a medium sauce pan or pot heat the cream, evaporated milk, and butter. After butter has melted (this is where one would add reclaim or other concentrate) add the brown sugar, white sugar, and honey/corn syrup & stir vigorously. You'll need to keep stirring & keep an eye on it to both keep it from burning on the bottom of the pan and keep it from boiling over. If it looks like it's about to boil over remove the pan from heat & whisk rapidly (you should be doing the latter anyway). In between bouts of stirring grease the baking sheet with cooking spray, butter, or whatever culinary lipids you have on hand. Continue to heat over medium to medium-high heat until the temp reads 250F. Once it's reached 250F continue to stir for a few seconds & remove from the heat. There's a bit of technique here as keeping it at 250F too long is bad, but not long enough & the caramels will be very gooey & somewhat difficult to deal with. Pour the caramel into the greased baking sheet & let cool. Divide into individual portions and, if desired, wrap in wax or parchment paper.

Notes: I divided mine up with a scraper/chopper tool, but a spatula, knife, etc should work fine. Be careful if you're using a non-stick baking sheet not to scrape up the non-stick coating. Baking sheet could also be lined with parchment paper to aid in cleanup.

* Regarding honey vs corn syrup, these amounts can be modulated so long as they add up to approximately 1 cup volume wise. Corn syrup will result in a firmer caramel whereas honey will result in a more gooey end product. I went with all honey last time, but next go 'round thinking probably 25/75 corn syrup/honey admixture.

Lemme know what you all think! & if you try it & have notes or suggestion I'm always down to further refine this process.

Jethro

I just made this recipe, it's great! Thank you for sharing. It's the first time I've made any candy type recipe. I usually make cannabutter and then make cookies but this is good for a change! I bought a candy thermometer and was surprised how long it took to boil up to 250- about 40 minutes on med high. I added a bunch of corase ground salt and then wrapped the candy in 1" squares which omg... that took like an hour. I did a 50/50 mix of honey to corn syrup and they came out perfect! I'll be doing this again.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Ingredients:
227g Butter (2 sticks)
231g Heavy Cream (1 pint)
227g Evaporated Milk (1 cup)
336g Honey OR 328g Corn Syrup* (1 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract OR the innards of 1-2 vanilla beans

240g Dark Brown Sugar (1 cup)
400g White Sugar (2 cups)

Equipment:
Sauce pan or pot (at least 4qt size, smaller & things will get messy)
Kitchen scale (preferred) or measuring cups
Candy thermometer (a temp probe or laser thermometer will work in a pinch)
whisk
baking sheet or pan a.k.a. jellyroll (rimmed, ~12x15 or thereabouts preferably)

There's a few different ways to infuse reefer goodies into this, using cannabutter is one option, adding reclaim to the butter and/or cream, using "condenser milk" made from some vapcap parts & cream, or doing the rapid abv>alcohol>cream extraction described in my raspberry bourbon canna truffles recipe. Anywhoozle, here are the rest of the instructions, largely adapted from this over at Allrecipies:

In a medium sauce pan or pot heat the cream, evaporated milk, and butter. After butter has melted (this is where one would add reclaim or other concentrate) add the brown sugar, white sugar, and honey/corn syrup & stir vigorously. You'll need to keep stirring & keep an eye on it to both keep it from burning on the bottom of the pan and keep it from boiling over. If it looks like it's about to boil over remove the pan from heat & whisk rapidly (you should be doing the latter anyway). In between bouts of stirring grease the baking sheet with cooking spray, butter, or whatever culinary lipids you have on hand. Continue to heat over medium to medium-high heat until the temp reads 250F. Once it's reached 250F continue to stir for a few seconds & remove from the heat. There's a bit of technique here as keeping it at 250F too long is bad, but not long enough & the caramels will be very gooey & somewhat difficult to deal with. Pour the caramel into the greased baking sheet & let cool. Divide into individual portions and, if desired, wrap in wax or parchment paper.

Notes: I divided mine up with a scraper/chopper tool, but a spatula, knife, etc should work fine. Be careful if you're using a non-stick baking sheet not to scrape up the non-stick coating. Baking sheet could also be lined with parchment paper to aid in cleanup.

* Regarding honey vs corn syrup, these amounts can be modulated so long as they add up to approximately 1 cup volume wise. Corn syrup will result in a firmer caramel whereas honey will result in a more gooey end product. I went with all honey last time, but next go 'round thinking probably 25/75 corn syrup/honey admixture.

Lemme know what you all think! & if you try it & have notes or suggestion I'm always down to further refine this process.
I've made ABV honey, and I think this is just the recipe to try it on. Yum. Thank you for posting.

Jethro

Can you explain how you made the ABV honey?

I am thoroughly enjoying my caramels!
20181020_163632-M.jpg

20181020_171633-M.jpg

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I lined a slow cooker with a dish towel, put the honey in a mason jar. I washed the ABV before hand. The ABV I placed in a square of cheese cloth and tied it up. It was put in the jar with the honey. I filled the crockpot with water 2/3 of the way. I loosely put a lid on the jar to keep the steam out. I then heated on low alternating with warm when I thought it was getting too warm. I left it a bit over 24 hours. I put on gloves and squeezed the cheese cloth until I couldn't get out honey, it got messy and was hot, so I used a tortilla press here. I then tossed the ABV in the cheese cloth into a pitcher of cold brewed coffee to get extra use. After that the ABV went to compost.
I had more ABV and honey and crockpots, so I started a second pot when I did the first, and I just put honey in the crockpot, and added the ABV. This one I started on low, then turned to warm after two hours, and left it on warm for the rest of the time. It was removed and strained after 24+ hours, by pouring it through a gold mesh coffee filter. This took a bit if time when the honey cooled down . If I use this method again I'll leave the heat on and just ladle it warm into the filter. I filled my jars, put lids on and labeled. The ABV went into the compost, as I was too lazy to figure anything else out.
Both methods worked. The second method was a bit messier but not bad. It got thicker, and more caramel colored. It and had more of an ABV flavor as I didn't wash the ABV. I didn't worry about the flavor, as it was made to be blended with an alcohol tincture I made that had been made with ABV and sitting in the freezer a few months. The honey helped the tincture not taste so strong, and the alcohol thinned the honey. This went in dropper bottles.
The first batch was just left in the jar to use in baking.
I've used the first method with agave nectar, and it works as well. Used to use vegetable glycerin that I put in crock pot, dropped cheese cloth bundled decarbed trim or ABV into. Heat strain bottle. Sometimes I use decarbed trim instead of ABV. I've never used bud, but I usually have so much tincture and elixer around I haven't even thought of it.
I'll try the caramels, but can't imagine eating that many. I have out of state guests coming in Spring, and the caramels will be a nice edible. The visit looks like it's going to focus a lot on visiting wineries and dispensaries, and I envision us careening around the Wine Country, vaping, eating caramels, and sampling wineberry juice.
Have you tried the caramels with nuts? How long do they keep? Is that cellophane or plastic wrap? They look devine, and I thank you for your generosity in sharing.

Jethro

Madri-gal, thanks for the honey ideas! You got me thinking here. Funny about washing and not washing ABV, I have actually became to like the flavor profile of the ABV I use. Maybe I've gone crazy... I don't know.

I have not tried adding nuts yet, I am giving these to everyone I know, I don't know how long they'll last but I would assume a long time with all the sugar that they are cooked with. But I may be wrong. It made like 90 to 100 of the 1" caramels, that's a lot! They aren't as potent as my cookies but those are like 30 in a batch. So 3 caramels to one cookie is a fair comparison. They are wrapped with plastic wrap, cling wrap stuff. Gonna take me a long time to go through them! I wrapped them 8 to a pack after individually wrapping them and gave 3 of them away so far.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Every Dec 1st since 1969 I have made my special caramels.
This half pound of CannaButter:
128684176-10222940545769537-8117175683920993172-n.jpg

is now this 2 pounds of Caramels:
128748481-10222940546729561-8616691556140063552-o.jpg

... to be wrapped in Cellophane wrappers over the next 24 hours.

Since 1969, I have made canna butter about 4 times a year.
I have tried Magic Butter Machines, Soy Lecithin, and dozens of other new innovational ideas.
I do NOT decarboxylate my flower.... you can read my recipe here:
You may use my butter recipe or your own. I am not asking here for suggestions to improve my butter.
Caramel Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (1/2 pound) Cannabutter
  • 1 16 ounce package (2-1/4 cups packed) brown sugar
  • 1 14 ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Recipe:
  • Step 1
    Use a 9x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Butter it well; set dish aside.
  • Step 2
    In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup (half pound) Cannabutter over low heat. Add brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and light corn syrup; mix well. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
  • Step 3
    Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Step 4
    Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared baking pan. When caramel is firm, use a spatula and butterknife to lift it out of pan. Use a sharp knife to cut candy into small squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes over 2 pounds.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I got a free 25mg caramel from my dispensary recently. Now I vape everyday, but I've never tried an edible of any kind. I've seen charts that say for newbies go low and slow. Would 25mg be considered a high first dose for a daily medical vaper? I was thinking maybe half?

Vitolo

Vaporist
25 mg is a fine starting dose..... if on an empty stomach, you can add more to your system in 40 minutes.... if on full stomach I would wait an hour to add to your dosage.
I take 100 mg doses, and add to it until I have 400-500 mg.
Since new to edibles, 25 will do well.
I would eat it all on an empty stomach... or at least wait an hour after eating food to pop the caramel.
HINT:
caramels are soft, and it is a human habit with sweets to chew and swallow fast.
I would suck on the caramel, and let it dissolve in the mouth... this way it is affecting you through buccal and sub-lingual nerve endings, as well as through the digestive system.
I move it around in my mouth, sort of "gumming" it and try to avoid just chewing it up and swallowing.
Congrats on your good fortune, and also on your first "edible flight"!

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Extremely hard to advise you, Finster: individual responses are all over the map.

I myself have had mostly zero effect from edibles, I have consumed 300mg over a five-hour period and gotten no buzz or observable effect of any kind. I was told to definitely NOT eat “a whole one”...but THREE whole ones had no observable effect.

That said, 25mg does not seem extreme. You should be completely okay if you simply arrange to not go out for 4-6 hours. You’ve been stoned before...probably *REAL* stoned before. Don’t juggle knives, you’ll be fine.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Thanks guys. I understand it's all relative to each individual. And I tend to be a lightweight. Even though I vape each evening, I don't go taking big dab hits. I tend to spread my medicine out so I don't get overmedicated.

That said, I agree 25mg isn't an extreme amount for someone whose body has somewhat of a tolerance. I think I'll hold back a 1/4 of it, and if things are okay after 2 hours I'll pop the rest. Once I dial this in, I definitely see the benefit of letting it dissolve slowly and not eating too fast.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I tend to minimize my use, simply because supply is so sporadic & quantities very finite, so I’m no heavyweight these days. I don’t think ‘tolerance’ applies, the way we think of it; body chemistry may be more the thing. I need a lot of alcohol, too, when I’m after an alcohol buzz. Liver enzymes, something.

One time, I had an effect from an edible. Half a brownie, fresh out of the oven. No idea idea how much those crazy kids put in there, but half a brownie made me VERY stretchy and happy and yoga-y for quite a while. Would love to do that again sometime.

Top Bottom