Cannabis News

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
it's the " numerous medications" part there that scares the hell out of people... docotrs be like, ok- we will put them on every other medication other than cannabis and hope that the cannabis fixes everything last?!? the doctors are speaking for shareholders who make money when their drug is prescribed- they will prescribe those first and foremost...all the pateint wants is to get better and not give a crap about some shareholder who needs their drug sold

It's not just the doctors.

Botox is 70% effective in stopping or significantly reducing persistent severe migraines and the neurologist would prescribe it immediately IF the health insurance company would allow it. The insurance company requires that every other possible approach be proven as not effective before they will approve Botox treatment. The neurologist believes it's the higher than average cost and the illegal use of Botox by other doctors who prescribe it for migraines but use it for cosmetic purposes. The insurance company actually mandates that when using Botox for migraines any left over must be destroyed to eliminate the leftovers being used for cosmetic purposes.

70% effective and it's the last resort instead of the first. They still prescribe drugs that were being used for migraines decades ago and many of them were developed for mood disorders not migraines.

C No Ego

It's not just the doctors.

Botox is 70% effective in stopping or significantly reducing persistent severe migraines and the neurologist would prescribe it immediately IF the health insurance company would allow it. The insurance company requires that every other possible approach be proven as not effective before they will approve Botox treatment. The neurologist believes it's the higher than average cost and the illegal use of Botox by other doctors who prescribe it for migraines but use it for cosmetic purposes. The insurance company actually mandates that when using Botox for migraines any left over must be destroyed to eliminate the leftovers being used for cosmetic purposes.

70% effective and it's the last resort instead of the first. They still prescribe drugs that were being used for migraines decades ago and many of them were developed for mood disorders not migraines.
so much proof of nature helping migraines too like certain types of mushrooms and acids delivered in micro doses that have psycho-active effects to stop migraines... no side effects, available from nature for free save for effort and time to extract it etc.... health insurance will not touch psycho-actives either I'm sure LOL

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I thought this was interesting. I notice there are a lot of medical patients in Oregon. They must make it worth while to get a mmj card. This is hard to read below. I will add the link which is easier to read.

Here it is.
Medical Marijuana Patient Numbers - MPP
Marijuana Policy Project › issues › medic...
Medical marijuana patient numbers by state. ... There is a registry, but only a small fraction of California patientsare registered. 2 Many families have migrated to Colorado so that patients would be allowed to use medical ...

Percent of the population who are patients
State. Population Medical Patient and Percentage of Population

Alaska
741,204 1,042 2/28/17 0.14%

Arizona
7,026,629 114,439 2/24/17 1.63%

Arkansas
3 3,000,942 Not open

California
1 39,849,872 1,526,250 2/24/17 estimate 3.83%

Colorado
2 5,658,546 94,577 02/24/17 1.67%

Connecticut
3,583,134 16,566 2/24/17 0.46%

D.C.
697,012 4,799 2/24/17 0.69%

Delaware
965,866 2,434 3/1/17 0.25%

Florida
21,002,678 Not open

Hawaii 1,454,295 15,334 2/24/17 1.05%

Illinois
12,815,607 15,900 2/24/17 0.12%

Maine
1,327,472 50,810 2/28/17 3.83%

Maryland
3 6,068,511 Not open

Massachusetts 6,873,018 34,189 2/24/17 0.50%

Michigan
9,935,116 218,556 2/24/17 2.20%

Minnesota
5,554,532 4,696 2/24/17 0.08%

Montana
1,052,343 9,666 2/24/17 0.92%

Nevada
2,995,973 25,465 02/28/17 0.85%

New Hampshire
1,335,832 2,089 2/24/17 0.16%

New Jersey
8,996,351 12,514 2/24/17 0.14%

New Mexico
2,084,193 32,175 2/28/17 1.54%

New York
19,889,657 16,992 4/26/17 0.08%

North Dakota
3 757,952 Not open

Ohio3 11,646,273 Not open

Oregon 4,144,527 67,141 2/28/17 1.62%

Pennsylvania
3 12,819,975 Not open

Rhode Island 1,059,080 16,418 2/24/17 1.55%

Vermont
624,592 3,391 10/13/16 0.54%

Washington
4 7,384,721 16,520 2/28/17 0.22%

West Virginia
3 1,831,102 Not open

Total population in all medical marijuana states 195,792,284
Estimate of all state-legal patients

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Pot Etiquette: Mind Your Marijuana Manners

Can I get high with my kids? How do I keep my minivan from smelling like reefer? Parenting in the age of legal weed presents a whole new set of conundrums. Here, Kathryn VanEaton, a Colorado blogger who goes by “The Stoner Mom,” and Margie Skeer, an assistant professor of public health and community medicine at the Tufts University School of Medicine, offer a few nuggets of wisdom.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical marijuana providers

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."

Baron23

From the Washington Post. The WoPo is a "politics around the clock" newspaper as are its readers. General tenor of the 1,500 or so comments now on this article indicate the betting line is hard against Sessions, that he is picking an unnecessary fight, and that its a political fight he will lose. But we will see.

Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical marijuana providers

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."

In his letter, first obtained by Tom Angell of Massroots.com and verified independently by The Washington Post, Sessions argued that the amendment would "inhibit [the Justice Department's] authority to enforce the Controlled Substances Act." He continues:

I believe it would be unwise for Congress to restrict the discretion of the Department to fund particular prosecutions, particularly in the midst of an historic drug epidemic and potentially long-term uptick in violent crime. The Department must be in a position to use all laws available to combat the transnational drug organizations and dangerous drug traffickers who threaten American lives.

Sessions's citing of a "historic drug epidemic" to justify a crackdown on medical marijuana is at odds with what researchers know about current drug use and abuse in the United States. The epidemic Sessions refers to involves deadly opiate drugs, not marijuana. A growing body of research (acknowledged by the National Institute on Drug Abuse) has shown that opiate deaths and overdoses actually decrease in states with medical marijuana laws on the books.

That research strongly suggests that cracking down on medical marijuana laws, as Sessions requested, could perversely make the opiate epidemic even worse.

In an email, John Hudak of the Brookings Institution characterized the letter's arguments as a "scare tactic" that "could appeal to rank-and-file members or to committee chairs in Congress in ways that could threaten the future of this Amendment."

Under PresidentBarack Obama, the Justice Department also sought to undermine the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment. It circulated misleading talking points among Congress to influence debate over the measure, and it attempted to enforce the amendment in a way that "defies language and logic," "tortures the plain meaning of the statute" and is "at odds with fundamental notions of the rule of law," in the ruling of a federal judge.

The Rohrabacher-Farr amendment has significant bipartisan support in Congress. Medical marijuana is incredibly popular with voters overall. A Quinnipiac poll conducted in April found it was supported by 94 percent of the public. Nearly three-quarters of voters said they disapprove of the government enforcing federal marijuana laws in states that have legalized it either medically or recreationally.

Through a spokesman, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R.-Calif.) said that "Mr. Sessions stands athwart an overwhelming majority of Americans and even, sadly, against veterans and other suffering Americans who we now know conclusively are helped dramatically by medical marijuana."

Advocates have been closely watching the Trump administration for any sign of how it might tackle the politically complex issue of marijuana legalization. Candidate Trump had offered support of state-level medical marijuana regulations, including the notion that states should be free to do what they want on the policy. But Sessions's letter, with its explicit appeal to allow the Justice Department to go after medical marijuana providers, appears to undermine that support.

The letter, along with a signing statement from President Trump indicating some skepticism of medical marijuana protections, "should make everyone openly question whether candidate Trump's rhetoric and the White House's words on his support for medical marijuana was actually a lie to the American public on an issue that garners broad, bipartisan support," said Hudak of the Brookings Institution.

I would love to see him try it and get spanked by Congress. Write/email to your Federal Congressional Representatives NOW about retaining the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment in next Sep's appropriations bill.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

For House members, you need to look at each individual member/state's website as there seems to be no central listing of all public email addresses for them that I could find.

By the by, I just sent this email to my Senators and Representative:

Dear XXX - I write to you as my understanding from the Washington Post is that our current Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, is imploring Congress to repeal, and not perpetuate, the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment preventing the DOJ from interfering in state medical marijuana programs.

I urge you to resist this terribly misguided and ignorant approach which he falsely justifies by relating medical marijuana with our current national opioid crisis. This flies in the face of all evidence, scientific and anecdotal, and is just a thin veil to disguise Mr. Sessions attempt to impose his own version of morality and good behavior on the citizens of this country despite their expressed will.

Please let me be clear, 29 states, with 190 million USA citizens, democratically elected medical or full recreational marijuana and a steep price will be paid, in my opinion, by any paternalistic and self-righteous politicians who attempt to thwart the will of the people....like Mr. Sessions.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Thanks for posting your letter Baron. You cool with me stealing your basic verbiage to send to my reps? Don't wanna reinvent the wheel....

mitchgo61,

unsorted

Senators introduce bill to end federal medical marijuana prohibition

Congress took a step toward easing its stance on medical marijuana on Thursday.

U.S. Sens. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), Corey Booker (D-New Jersey) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-New York) introduced a bill that would end the federal prohibition of medical marijuana and take steps to improve research..........

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/se...eral-medical-marijuana-prohibition-2017-06-15

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I just heard on the radio that a new law in New York apparently allows nurse practitioners to qualify people for medical cards, but I can't find any new articles about it. Did I miss hear this, or is the news just too new?

Baron23

Thanks. I gotta say that is fucking cool, and leave it to NY to do it. What a great model that would be for the rest of the country.
Get 30 or 40 million people with medical cards and then watch Sessions try to kill it...
In Maryland NP, midwives, dentists, etc are allowed to certify MMJ patients. Yeah, kind of cool and personally I think we have already gotten to a critical mass sufficient to believe that ole' Jeffey is pissing up a rope.

29 states, 190 million Americans, 61% of Americans believe MJ should be legalized, 88% support medical MJ, 71% believe that state level medical MJ programs should be left alone by the Feds.

Yep, ole' Jeffey will make a lot of noise and make a lot of people nervous....he may even ruin some lives....but overall he's pissing up a rope.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/support-for-marijuana-legalization-at-all-time-high/

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm not sure it is wise to be confident about any positive direction anything appears to be going. If Donald Trump can be elected President of the United States than everything is upside down and literally anything can happen. At this point I keep checking my pants to be sure my dick is still in there...

HighSeasSailor

Legalized marijuana is making it harder for police to search your car

"Law enforcement agencies, however, have often been at the forefront of opposition to marijuana legalization. One reason is that the drug, with its pungent, long-lasting aroma, is relatively easy to detect in the course of a traffic stop or other routine interaction. It's an ideal pretext for initiating a search that otherwise wouldn't be justified — even if that search only turns up evidence of marijuana use and nothing more."

"In Colorado and Washington, traffic searches of black, Hispanic and white drivers fell significantly after legalization, according to the Open Policing Project's analysis. That pattern didn't hold for states where marijuana use remained illegal."

Sounds like another victory for the freedom and privacy of citizens and yet another excellent reason to support full legalization even if you don't use.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Boaters advised: Marijuana still illegal on the high seas

“The Coast Guard enforces federal laws within all navigable U.S. waters. This means that in all marijuana cases, Coast Guard law enforcement officers will enforce federal law, even in states which have legalized it. Federal law has not changed, so our enforcement of that law has not changed,” Andrew Barresi, a Coast Guard spokesman based in Boston, said in an email.

C No Ego

Boaters advised: Marijuana still illegal on the high seas

“The Coast Guard enforces federal laws within all navigable U.S. waters. This means that in all marijuana cases, Coast Guard law enforcement officers will enforce federal law, even in states which have legalized it. Federal law has not changed, so our enforcement of that law has not changed,” Andrew Barresi, a Coast Guard spokesman based in Boston, said in an email.

they would have to get boats into States that have legalized it via flying in on a helicopter.. there are no states out in the Waters... the drug war is fueled from those waters though and we would not be able to arrest a single citizen of our country for drug use if it were not for the high seas and the non permanence of such a place....

Top Bottom