Cannabis News

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Main » NORML Blog » ACTIVISM » Sessions’ DOJ Reviewing Marijuana Enforcement Policies, Governors Fight Back
Sessions’ DOJ Reviewing Marijuana Enforcement Policies, Governors Fight Back
  • by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive DirectorApril 6, 2017
    Comments

United States Attorney General Jeff “Marijuana Consumers Aren’t Good People” Sessions has issued a formal memorandum calling on members of the Justice Department’s Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety to “undertake a review of existing policies,” including federal enforcement policies with regard to cannabis.

The memo was sent on April 5 to 94 U.S. Attorney’s Offices and Department of Justice component heads.

The Attorney General has requested a report back from task force members by no later than July 27th. You can read the full memo here.

The release of this memorandum provides us with a general time frame during which to expect any formal announcements from the new administration with regard to addressing marijuana policy — specifically whether the Justice Department will respect state legalization laws.

In the interim, members of Congress can remove all of the bite from Jeff Sessions’ bark by approving the bipartisan Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, which prevents the federal government from criminally prosecuting individuals and/or businesses who are engaging in state-sanctioned activities specific to the possession, use, production, and distribution of marijuana.

Speaking recently before Congress, Attorney General Sessions said that his job is to enforce federal law. Let’s change federal law to ensure that our reform victories remain in place, and so that we can build upon these victories in the future.

CLICK HERE TO CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IN SUPPORT OF RESPECTING STATE MARIJUANA LAWS.

But while the Justice Department contemplates its next move, state politicians are taking action. In recent days, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D), Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) and Alaska Gov. Bill Walker (I) issued a letter to the new U.S. Attorney General and to Secretary of Treasury Mnuchin calling on them to uphold the Obama Administration’s largely ‘hands off’ policies toward marijuana legalization, as outlined in the Cole Memo.

“Overhauling the Cole Memo is sure to produce unintended and harmful consequences,” the governors wrote. “Changes that hurt the regulated market would divert existing marijuana product into the black market and increase dangerous activity in both our states and our neighboring states.”

Political and social change rarely comes from the top on down, it comes from the bottom up. That is why it is imperative for you to not only contact your federal officials in support of changing policy, but also to continue to push for change at the local and state level.

Click HERE to view pending federal and state legislation and easily contact your elected officials in support of them.

Click HERE to find a local NORML chapter in your area and get involved. NORML Kansas City this week successfully placed marijuana decriminalization on their municipal ballot and saw it pass with 71% support. This is the kind of positive change a group of committed volunteer citizens can bring to their communities.

A people united will never be defeated and together we WILL end marijuana prohibition nationwide.

GetLeft

National Liberty Museum explores glass smoking pipes, bongs in new exhibit
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...s-bongs-with-Treachery-of-Images-exhibit.html

banjo-snic-alex-reyna-1200.jpg

germ-trevy-metal-tools-for-enlightenment-1200-jeffdimarco1.jpg

Change is in the air. There's new MJ-related news at this site weekly.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
How Jeff Sessions wants to bring back the war on drugs

Law enforcement officials say that Sessions and Cook are preparing a plan to prosecute more drug and gun cases and pursue mandatory minimum sentences. The two men are eager to bring back the national crime strategy of the 1980s and ’90s from the peak of the drug war, an approach that had fallen out of favor in recent years as minority communities grappled with the effects of mass incarceration.

C No Ego

How Jeff Sessions wants to bring back the war on drugs

Law enforcement officials say that Sessions and Cook are preparing a plan to prosecute more drug and gun cases and pursue mandatory minimum sentences. The two men are eager to bring back the national crime strategy of the 1980s and ’90s from the peak of the drug war, an approach that had fallen out of favor in recent years as minority communities grappled with the effects of mass incarceration.

those guys must have stock in pharmecuticals... pharma Synthation for the nation... the opposition to living medicine = live cannabis plant...
on the one hand people are healing with cannabis, on the other they are suffering reefer madness! which is it? can't be both LOL

howie105

The anti drug agenda is a key political position in the conservative presentation and that presentation is what Sessions has built his career on. So expecting Sessions to change at this point is pointless, also he won't get a change in marching orders from the actual party leadership (their dogma too) and the President really doesn’t care. On the upside we as a nation have always been a nation of drug users and that won't change. So vape it up folks, be careful and just ignore the fuckers as much as possible.

grokit

well-worn member
Speaking of...

DEA Approves Synthetic THC Drug

The Drug Enforcement Administration has just recently approved Syndros, a cannabis based medication developed by Insys Therapeutics, a pharmaceutical company.

Syndros is a synthetic formulation of THC. It is used to treat nausea and vomiting, two of the most common symptoms of chemotherapy. The drug was pre-approved by the FDA last summer as a treatment for nausea, vomiting, and weightloss in cancer and AIDS patients. The DEA approval places Syndros and its generic formulations in Schedule II of the Controlled Substance Act, indicating a “high potential for abuse”. Other Schedule II drugs include cocaine, morphine, and many prescription painkillers.

Insys donated $500,000 last September to help defeat Arizona’s cannabis legalization campaign. Yet now the company has received DEA approval for its own cannabis based drug. During the campaign, the company claimed to oppose the legalization measure because it would fail to protect the safety of Arizona’s citizens and children. Now, non-medical cannabis users in Arizona must still face felony charges for possessing even small amounts of the plant...

:argh:

C No Ego

^ unfortunately that type news in nothing new... 1985 or thereabouts, marinol was created and it's a thc based medication...

C No Ego,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Well to be fair, the news there is that Insys spent 500k to help defeat legal marijuana in Arizona so that their new DEA approved synthetic THC will be sold much more readily in a medical only marketplace with felonies being handed out still in the recreational side of things.

Definition of greed and treachery. So... pretty standard for our medical industry here in the US.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Quote from the article above:
article in previous post said:
According to Mark Hancey, a doctor told his son, "You will die. You better get your affairs in order," and the young man broke down in tears.
^^That's fucked up. All because of stupid obsolete thinking that somehow equates cannabis with the devil.

I'm really glad this guy found a more enlightened hospital to perform the surgery. I hope he recovers quickly.

FUCK IGNORANCE!!! :rant:
(oops, wrong thread for that) :spliff:

:peace:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Maine Committee Passes Legislation to Prevent Medical Marijuana Patients from Being Denied Organ Transplants
News

April 10, 2017

by Anthony Martinelli

A key committee in Maine has given approval to legislation designed to protect medical cannabis patients from being denied organ transplants. LD 764 has been given approval by the Join Standing Committee on Health and Human Services with a close 7 to 6 vote. According to its summary, “This bill prohibits the medical use of …

Donald Trump Names Tom Marino Next Drug Czar – Marijuana Advocates Not Happy
News

April 11, 2017

by Anthony Martinelli

Pennsylvania Congressmember Tom Marino (R) will serve as the nation’s next Drug Czar. Drug Czar is the unofficial but oft-used title for the director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP). As a member of Congress, Marino has consistently voted against marijuana policy reform legislation, even those that are simply medical …

damm

It's been a bit quiet in here so I figured i'd post a little bad and good news (hopefully)

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam
(R) signed legislation blocking local marijuana decriminalization measures such as those that were recently enacted in Memphis and Nashville. http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...w-nashville-memphis-marijuana-laws/100416186/

The Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice will hold a hearing on a marijuana decriminalization bill on Monday. https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/Show/CJ/ExpandedAgenda/3863

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

MinnBobber

CO abandons move to allow cannabis lounges :(
BY KRISTEN WYATT
ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER (AP) — Colorado lawmakers on Thursday backed off plans to become the first U.S. state to regulate marijuana clubs, saying approval of Amsterdam-style pot clubs could invite a federal crackdown.

It was perhaps the starkest display yet of legal pot states’ uncertainty on how to regulate the drug under President Donald Trump. Alaska marijuana regulators recently delayed planned rules for on-site pot consumption at dispensaries.

Colorado’s measure, which would have allowed users to bring their own pot to clubs, initially had substantial bipartisan support. But lawmakers ultimately sided with Gov. John Hickenlooper, who has warned that bold changes may anger federal drug enforcers.....

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
CO abandons move to allow cannabis lounges :(
BY KRISTEN WYATT
ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER (AP) — Colorado lawmakers on Thursday backed off plans to become the first U.S. state to regulate marijuana clubs, saying approval of Amsterdam-style pot clubs could invite a federal crackdown.

It was perhaps the starkest display yet of legal pot states’ uncertainty on how to regulate the drug under President Donald Trump. Alaska marijuana regulators recently delayed planned rules for on-site pot consumption at dispensaries.

Colorado’s measure, which would have allowed users to bring their own pot to clubs, initially had substantial bipartisan support. But lawmakers ultimately sided with Gov. John Hickenlooper, who has warned that bold changes may anger federal drug enforcers.....

Probably for the better for the short term. There are some "Clubs" in Denver and I believe in Colorado Springs, where you join the club for like $10, and you can bring your own cannabis and smoke/dab/vape with other "members", chill, etc,. Not my seen by a longshot. If you want to dab out with the YouTube, .5g globs per dab crowd, then this is your kinda place. Def geared more to the "bro" type of smoker than vapists or medical users, IMO.

I would like to see bars/restaurants where you can medicate(even if its an outdoor patio) but I'd rather have irresponsible use not thrown all around the news with the new administration in power. Maybe once Trump tells us what his views are as POTUS regarding cannabis. Until then, I'd rather not see the industry as a whole make waves.

damm

Matt Gaetz of Florida (Republican too!)

GAETZ: Sure, you know — the federal government has lied to the American people for a generation about cannabis. And those lies have resulted in overly punitive criminal penalties. And the impacts on minority communities have been the most damaging. Do we really want to go lock up, you know, a 19-year-old who, you know, gets pulled — or who, you know, is in position of three joints. I think there’s probably better ways to handle substance abuse. But we’ll never get there if we can’t have an adult conversation about research.

http://sandspaper.com/2017/04/13/conversation-rep-matt-gaetz-marijuana/

I hope we reach the tipping point soon I love reading politicians telling us how we have been lied to. (because we have!)

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Matt Gaetz of Florida (Republican too!)

http://sandspaper.com/2017/04/13/conversation-rep-matt-gaetz-marijuana/

I hope we reach the tipping point soon I love reading politicians telling us how we have been lied to. (because we have!)

Quit calling three joints "substance abuse". Is having three craft beers considered "substance abuse"?
How about three cigarettes? Or even three chocolate bars? Obesity kills WAY more people than ingesting cannabis ever will.

I guess the rest of his message was okay though.

damm

Quit calling three joints "substance abuse". Is having three craft beers considered "substance abuse"?
How about three cigarettes? Or even three chocolate bars? Obesity kills WAY more people than ingesting cannabis ever will.

I guess the rest of his message was okay though.

You mean Sugar. Sugar kills more people than pretty much anything; tobacco; car wrecks; etc. There's a sugar monopoly to boot; so they know how it harms us. It's far more addictive than crack cocaine; likely most users in this forum are all sugar addicts and we just don't care.

I am doing better than I was; about a cup of sugar a day only. I should be at 4 tablespoons or less; but I brew tea once a day and use sugar to enhance the flavor (ha ha!)

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Sugar-Gary-Taubes-ebook/dp/B01DRXCPJ0/

C No Ego

You mean Sugar. Sugar kills more people than pretty much anything; tobacco; car wrecks; etc. There's a sugar monopoly to boot; so they know how it harms us. It's far more addictive than crack cocaine; likely most users in this forum are all sugar addicts and we just don't care.

I am doing better than I was; about a cup of sugar a day only. I should be at 4 tablespoons or less; but I brew tea once a day and use sugar to enhance the flavor (ha ha!)

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Sugar-Gary-Taubes-ebook/dp/B01DRXCPJ0/

gave up the sugar in tea years back... now it's liquid stevia... still eat plenty of sugar though... the accumulative harms, they are the harms that are hard to prove

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Marijuana advocates say it’s time to grow up

When you and your buds get the munchies on April 20, the high holiday for marijuana users, a small army of marketing professionals are working to ensure that in your haze, you’ll reach for their brand of blazed, er, glazed doughnuts. Or Totino’s Pizza Rolls. Or Burger King. Or any other brand of junk food – even from a wholesome, family-friendly company – that suspects its biggest fans may be spending the day more flame-broiled than a Whopper.

gangababa

DHS Secretary John Kelly over rules DHS Secretary John Kelly about marijuana

"Two days after saying that marijuana was “not a factor” in the in the drug war, the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security ... said his agency would pursue the enforcement of laws against it."

“And let me be clear about marijuana. It is a potentially dangerous gateway drug that frequently leads to the use of harder drugs,” Kelly said, adding: “Its use and possession is against federal law and until the law is changed by the U.S. Congress we in DHS are sworn to uphold all the laws on the books.”

The current administration is a rubber stamp for Republicans, Wall Street, the military and police.
Nonetheless, even here today, there are those who simply do not believe that the regressive-republican-trumpian rule will be anything as bad as the regressive-republican-trumpian-rulers have long said they wished to do to us.
While others are still sure that only the best-of-the-best are being hired by the best-of-the-best businessman.
Meanwhile in Venezuela, the trumpian-ruler there is suggesting that he should give guns to his supporters, not others.

DHS chief: 'Marijuana is not a factor in the drug war'
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Sunday marijuana is not “a factor in the drug war,” citing addictive drugs as the key border focus for fighting illegal drugs in the U.S.

“Yeah, marijuana is not a factor in the drug war,” Kelly told host Chuck Todd on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Top Bottom