Cannabis News

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
360w-seedling-1062908_1920.jpg

Nov. 2016
For centuries, cannabis has been coveted for its medicinal properties. More than simply a relaxant, it’s emerged as a bona fide treatment for a myriad of health concerns, from depression and anxiety to back pain and arthritis. Now, the green leafy plant has landed itself in the spotlight for yet another feat, with new research showing that cannabis could actively enhance night vision.

A Caribbean cocktail

The revelation began 25 years ago, when a pharmacologist named M. E. West noted that local Jamaican fisherman who regularly smoked cannabis or consumed rum brewed with the leaves and stem of the plant had what he described as “an uncanny ability to see in the dark.” He observed them navigating their boats through coral reefs with remarkable skill, despite the fact that lighting was non-existent and conditions were treacherous.

This led him to the conclusion that an external source was improving their night vision, which he identified as cannabis. After running his theory past the fishermen they informed him that Moroccan mountain tribes also experience similar night vision improvements after smoking hashish. In 2002 a research team travelled to Morocco’s Rif Mountains and used a sophisticated method to measure the sensitivity of night vision, before and after hashish. The results backed West’s theory, and confirmed that cannabis improved night vision in all subjects.

Modern medicine and marijuana

Now, new research is offering the medical sphere even harder evidence, with scientists from the Montreal Neurological Institute honing in on the cellular mechanism that triggers the improvement of night vision. According to the study published in open access journal eLife, the natural drug makes cells in the retina more sensitive to light. From a medical perspective, this could see cannabis emerge as an exciting new treatment for degenerative eye diseases like retinitis pigmentosa.

Swapping humans for tadpoles

Interestingly, the Montreal Neurological Institute based team shunned stoned fishermen in favour of transparent African clawed toad tadpoles when conducting their research. Using microelectrodes the team measured how retinal ganglion cells respond to light, and found that sensitivity significantly increased under the influence of the synthetic cannabinoid.

The rate at which they fired to both bright and dim light stimuli jumped, with closer analysis revealing that this was due to the inhibition of the NKCC1 protein. As a co-transporter protein, NKCC1 transports sodium, potassium and chloride ions in and out of cells, which determines the electrical properties of retinal ganglion cells. The study found that cannabinoids reduce the concentration of chloride ions, which makes them more sensitive than usual to light.

For more information on how marijuana is making its mark in the medical arena, ‘Evaluation of Evaporative Techniques in the Extraction and Preparation of Cannabis Oil’ is a must read article. It explores the Californian tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) oil industry, and the next generation techniques being used to extract and refine the medicinal by-product.
Fascinating stuff! I've always felt I had good night vision, and I am indeed more sensitive to bright light in general. Looks like my vapor eyes provide a benefit for me, considering I'm a night owl.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
When will rec in Cali be available? So glad this passed
I'm so looking forward to easier access for out of state visitors...

It could take up to a year for rec to roll out in CA.

The interesting upside of the memory loss is for PTSD patients. From my scan of the summary it was unclear if this was a transitory issue and if so for how long. Would also be curious what it would look like if CBD was in the mix mediating the THC.

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I didn't read the actual study, just the summary, but they also said only 1% of the people who have that in hospitals are marijuana users, so which is it.

I'm all for more testing and getting more information out there. This shouldn't hold so much weight just because it's one of these:

The study has some limitations. Because this was a retrospective study, the researchers could not determine how frequently the marijuana users were using marijuana, or what the timeframe was between the use of marijuana and occurrence of stress cardiomyopathy. Observational studies are not designed to prove cause and effect; therefore, it cannot be said that marijuana is or is not a direct cause of stress cardiomyopathy. In addition, because the database the researchers used reports regional but not state-by-state statistics, the researchers could not analyze whether possibly marijuana-related heart problems are increasing where use is legal.

I've heard that scientists can play with the data of surveys to achieve some semblance of correlation and the real world statistics (hospitals) don't seem to back it up.

Tranquility

When will rec in Cali be available? So glad this passed
I'm so looking forward to easier access for out of state visitors...
January 1, 2008. Because some licensing regimes are not going to be ramping up immediately, it is predicted pot will be legal before the industry can meet demand.

Edit:
As others have written, 2018.

Last edited:
Tranquility,

Tranquility

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...users-age-FASTER-avoid-drug-study-claims.html

Supports the study posted by @macbill above and adds the scary key:
We found that for those who used cannabis over a long time, not only does it age you, it increases ageing at an exponential rate over time which is alarming,' Professor Reece said.

'The level of cannabis exposure in the group studied was much higher than we have seen reported before in other studies for developed nations.'​

Tranquility,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
The most important section from that article, IMO:

But according to lead research Dr Amitoj Singh, at least two cases in their study were partly brought on by marijuana.

'There have been many reports of heart attacks, strokes and the two cases of (stress cardiomyopathy) that have been linked to marijuana,' he said.

Presenting his data at the American Heart Association's annual meeting, Dr Singh argued for caution as marijuana legalization spreads across the country.

He warned young marijuana users do not typically display the tell-tale symptoms of cardiac risk, but he claims his data shows they have a higher risk of having one.

Dr Singh's study concluded that marijuana users are two times more likely to suffer a heart attack.

However, the majority of users in the study paired marijuana with tobacco and most suffered from depression.

'This is a retrospective study, so we cannot determine causation,' Dr Singh admitted.

kellya86

Herb gardener...

However, the majority of users in the study paired marijuana with tobacco and most suffered from depression.

^^^
This really pisses me off...
I hate how the media, especially the daily mail, only report the negative cannabis news...
Why does this happen, what benefit does the daily mail get from falsely bashing cannabis...

Or are they controlled by the government???

It sickens me, the way we are lied to....

This goes as far as to childrens education on the matter...
14 year olds at school are taught, (in printed textbooks), that cannabis causes cancer and heart problems.... then in a little box with some fine print at the bottom, it states that this is cannabis used with tobacco.....

Why are 'they' so desperate to demonise this plant.... fuck off with your lies...

Ill spend my life campaigning to educate people about this....

grokit

well-worn member
^ there's lots of $ in boozevertizing :haw:

Or that you wanted to die. Actually running out is very stressful for me, so it is more the lack of weed that may be a danger. At least for me. Seriously.
Vaping avb has been a lifesaver for me. The problem is that it's gross. The longer I have to re-vape it the more I appreciate fresh flowers which is a plus. The versa is down now so that may be over anyhow.
Now when I run out, I'll be back to combusting trim joints which is also:puke:

So I'd better get some efficiency going. When this harvest is cured it will be back to logs; because we have a timing issue, it will be a while before the next one. Once you are growing it's hard to buy weed again.

:spliff:

BD9

Rhode Island governor will look at legalization.

Click here for story:

“I am very open to it, as I have been, but I’m not really in a rush because I’ve talked to governors of states who’ve already legalized, and they say to me, ‘Go slow, governor, especially with edibles,’” Raimondo told NBC 10’s Dan Jaehnig during Connect to the Capitol on Nov. 9. “As a mom of a soon-to-be teenager, I want to make sure that she and all her friends are going to be safe … In Colorado, young kids are getting their hands on highly potent edibles and they’ve shown up at the ER sick, they’ve shown up at school high, so I’m open to it, but we’ve got to get it right and keep people safe.”

House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello said he's ready to take up legislation next year because marijuana will become readily available to Rhode Islanders traveling across the Massachusetts border, causing concerns without the tax revenues to address them.

Baron23

Beer? Wine? Or weed? Denver voters approve pot in bars

DENVER — A glass of wine with dinner? Or maybe some marijuana?

Denver voters have approved a first-in-the-nation law allowing willing bars and restaurants to give patrons the option to use marijuana alongside a cocktail or meal. The catch: Smoking pot won’t be allowed inside, and the locations would have to first get the approval of neighbors.

The marijuana-initiative blunder that could cost California millions of dollars

Benjamin Franklin said that taxes, like death, are one of life’s few certainties. But due to a glitch in the technical language of California’s successful marijuana legalization initiative, the state’s pot smokers may prove him wrong.

California’s marijuana legalization initiative is designed to raise significant tax revenue for the state. When legal recreational marijuana sales commence on Jan. 1, 2018, the initiative applies a 15 percent excise tax on recreational and medical marijuana, as well as some taxes on marijuana producers based on the weight of each plant grown. The state’s 7.5 percent sales tax is tacked on top of that for recreational marijuana, but the ballot proposition repeals that tax for medical marijuana. The idea was to give medical marijuana users a tax break relative to recreational users once the initiative’s new taxes begin in 2018. But because the Jan. 1, 2018, target date was omitted in the relevant subsection of the 62-page initiative, the medical marijuana sales tax elimination instead became effective this week when the measure passed.

As a result, tax-free medical marijuana sales will occur in California from now through the end of 2017. With recreational sales not set to begin until 2018, tax-free medical sales leave California facing a disappointing near-term marijuana tax revenue picture. The creators of the initiative have stated publicly that providing a 14-month tax holiday for marijuana was not their intention, but the state’s Board of Equalization ruled otherwise.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Rhode Island governor will look at legalization.

Click here for story:

“I am very open to it, as I have been, but I’m not really in a rush because I’ve talked to governors of states who’ve already legalized, and they say to me, ‘Go slow, governor, especially with edibles,’” Raimondo told NBC 10’s Dan Jaehnig during Connect to the Capitol on Nov. 9. “As a mom of a soon-to-be teenager, I want to make sure that she and all her friends are going to be safe … In Colorado, young kids are getting their hands on highly potent edibles and they’ve shown up at the ER sick, they’ve shown up at school high, so I’m open to it, but we’ve got to get it right and keep people safe.”

House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello said he's ready to take up legislation next year because marijuana will become readily available to Rhode Islanders traveling across the Massachusetts border, causing concerns without the tax revenues to address them.

Medical patients still need the high doses that these provide tho... let's hope they really understand that.

Baron23

Next milestone for Alaska’s young pot industry: paying taxes

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — With legal marijuana sales underway in Alaska, growers will soon be submitting their first tax payments to the state.

For most businesses, that wouldn’t be a problem: They’d just cut a check. But some banks are leery about dealing with pot businesses since marijuana remains illegal at the federal level. And that means, at least initially, Alaska’s legal cannabis businesses could have to make their tax payments to the state by dropping off or mailing bundles of cash. (cont)

Legal pot won big at the ballot box last week. Now the real challenges start

Election Day was a blowout for the cause of legal marijuana. Ballot measures legalizing medical or recreational cannabis use passed for the first time in seven states, with a defeat in Arizona the only setback for activists. But, as the experiences of other legal-marijuana states show, the thorniest debates are just starting. How should the trade be regulated? Who will benefit financially? How will the federal government act? These questions and others will roil the states for years to come.

The presidential and congressional election results have already put some of these measures in peril. Activists knew that an overwhelming show of support for marijuana ballot initiatives could be interpreted as a mandate for lawmakers to reconsider the federal prohibition on the plant. (President Obama added to these hopes by saying that if just five of these states decided to allow a form of cannabis use, that would mean that “a fifth of the country [is] operating under one set of laws, and four-fifths in another. . . . That is not going to be tenable.”)

The new political landscape, however — with President Donald Trump in office alongside a Republican-dominated House and Senate — signals that, despite a groundswell of popular support for marijuana legalization and its growing geographic footprint in America, ending the plant’s federal prohibition is unlikely to be a legislative or executive priority. Trump’s prospective federal law enforcement appointments (such as early-but-now-unlikely contender Chris Christie, New Jersey’s governor, who promised in the Republican primary race that he’d terminate legal marijuana in all 50 states; or Sen. Jeff Sessions (Ala.), who’s said that “good people don’t smoke marijuana ” and that he thought the Ku Klux Klan was “okay until I found out they smoked pot ”) don’t suggest an extension of the Obama administration’s noninterference policy. Journalist Tobias Coughlin-Bogue also raises the disturbing possibility that an anti-immigration attorney general might not disrupt state cannabis initiatives entirely, but could selectively enforce federal drug laws against immigrants and people of color in the cannabis industry.

But even if appointed officials honor Trump’s professed respect for states’ rights , legalization is just the start of a protracted dialogue over how to craft cannabis policy. States that legalized marijuana earlier have contended with unanticipated consequences as well as social and legal disputes over the rules of a newly sanctioned industry. (cont)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Trump’s pick for attorney general: ‘Good people don’t smoke marijuana’:bang:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ney-general-good-people-dont-smoke-marijuana/

Smart people don't smoke marijuana either, they vaporize it or eat it.

Seriously though, nearly half of the US population admits to having smoked cannabis before, and the actual number is probably higher than that since some people might not want to admit to drug use.

Saying half the population isn't "good" doesn't seem like a very smart move to me.

I like how he jumps from talking about smoking marijuana to 120 overdoses a day, even though the two topics aren't related at all. And then he does it again, saying they made great progress because the murder rate dropped since the "just say no" campaign.

Actually, illicit drug use has remained flat since that campaign, and it's clear we're losing the war on drugs. To spend all the money we do fighting it and not one thing has changed? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

lwien

Last edited:
Top Bottom