• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cannabis News

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
You can bring marijuana into this year's U.S. Open
By Brian Floyd@BrianMFloyd on Jun 18, 2015, 4:23a 20

usa-today-8615866.0.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

It's legal in Washington State, but is it against the rules to bring it to Chambers Bay during the U.S. Open? No!

 TWEET (482) SHARE (2609) PIN
Marijuana is legal in both Washington and Colorado, and shops to buy legal weed are all over the Seattle area at this point. With the U.S. Open in Tacoma at Chambers Bay, I wondered if fans could just walk in with their completely legal marijuana.

So at the risk of getting put on some kind of list you don't want to be on, I asked. Turns out fans are allowed to come through the security gates with marijuana -- bags are run through scanners and anyone entering the grounds has to walk through metals detectors after emptying pockets at checkpoints around the perimeter of the course.

The simple answer was yes, people attending the U.S. Open in Tacoma are allowed to possess marijuana on the grounds at Chambers Bay. If they come to the gates with it, volunteers were told to let them go through. This was, unsurprisingly, a specific point volunteers were briefed on before U.S. Open week.

However, it's not as though people are walking around the course lighting up. While it's legal to possess, it's illegal to consume marijuana in public. So while fans can bring it on the grounds, they can't, technically, do anything with it.

To recap: Marijuana is legal, thus allowed on the grounds at the U.S. Open. Don't bring a water bottle in, though. You'll have to throw that away.

I suppose ecigs are against the rules so you would have to use a vaporizer maybe in your car before going in. At least you don't have to leave your stash in a hot car where it would get too dry. Times are a changin.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Last edited:

CarolKing

It’s Time To Enact Appropriate Job Protections For Those Who Legally Use Marijuana
Posted by Johnny Green at 2:30 PM on June 21, 2015Ending Marijuana Prohibition, Medical Marijuana Policy

By Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel

Many observers were shocked and saddened when Brandon Coats, a quadriplegic who is authorized to use medical marijuana under Colorado state law, was fired from his job with Dish Network in 2010 after a positive drug test. Dish failed to make an exception for Coats, who used marijuana while off duty to control his seizures, and the company insisted on his being fired, leaving Coats no choice but to challenge this issue in court.

Specifically, Coats claimed that his conduct should have been permitted under the state’s Lawful Off-Duty Activities Statute, which makes it an unfair and discriminatory labor practice to discharge an employee based on the employee’s “lawful,” away-from-work activities. But the trial court, followed by the Court of Appeals and now the Colorado Supreme Court, have all ruled that the statute only protects conduct that is legal under both state and federal law — and therefore offers no job protection to Coats.

“Therefore, employees who engage in an activity, such as medical marijuana use, that is permitted by state law but unlawful under federal law are not protected by the statute,” Justice Allison H. Eid wrote in the opinion.

This case highlights one of the most pressing issues that needs to be addressed in the states that have legalized medical cannabis use — and the states that have adopted full legalization for all adults, as well. Although employees are protected from arrest and prosecution under state law by these various laws, they remain vulnerable to employment discrimination in almost all states.

Simply put, if an employer wants to insist on what they frequently call a “drug-free workplace,” they are legally permitted to do that — regardless of the unfairness this policy may cause, because we must note that they do not apply those same standards to off-job alcohol consumption or the use of prescription drugs.

Before being allowed to fire an employee who tests positive for THC, the employer must be required to demonstrate on-the-job impairment. Just as we do not permit someone to be fired for reason of their gender, religion or race, neither should we permit fired without a showing of actual on-job impairment.

Keith Stroup is an attorney, author of “It’s NORML to Smoke Pot: The 40-year Fight for Marijuana Smokers’ Rights” and founder of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, where he serves as legal counsel.

Source: NORML - make a donation

Print PDF

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
rtr3b7m9.jpg

Marijuana plants are displayed.
Photo by Anthony Bolante/Reuters
Yet another Obama admin breakthrough on marijuana
06/23/15 10:01 AM
facebook twitter like save share group discuss
By Steve Benen
After decades of a costly “war on drugs,” candidate Barack Obama made clear in 2008 that voters would see a very different approach in his administration. To his credit, President Obama has largely followed through on those campaign promises.
The administration has already taken a progressive approach to marijuana, for example, clearing the way for unprecedented state experimentation. This week, the Huffington Post’s Ryan Grim reported on another breakthrough.
The White House took a major step forward on Monday to support research into the medical properties of marijuana, lifting a much-maligned bureaucratic requirement that had long stifled scientific research.
By eliminating the Public Health Service review requirement, the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), also known as the drug czar’s office, will help facilitate research into the drug.
Under the old policy, created in the late ’90s, anyone hoping to conduct privately-funded medical marijuana research had to jump through all kinds of laborious, bureaucratic hoops – which proved to be incredibly, needlessly difficult, even for the most determined scholars.
Yesterday, as the Washington Post added, the obstacles were removed, “effective immediately.”
An ONDCP spokesperson said, “The Obama Administration has actively supported scientific research on whether marijuana or its components can be safe and effective medicine. Eliminating the Public Health Service review should help facilitate additional research to advance our understanding of both the adverse effects and potential therapeutic uses for marijuana or its components.”
Those waiting for Republican condemnations of the White House’s new policy may be surprised. The old system had few defenders, and even some GOP lawmakers were pleased by the administration’s new approach. Roll Call reported yesterday:
The Obama administration’s decision to streamline medical marijuana research Monday drew praise from Sen. Patrick J. Toomey, one of the more endangered Republicans up in 2016. […]
While senators’ positions on medical marijuana are still evolving, Toomey’s love for streamlining governmental procedures and cutting duplicative programs is tried and true.
The conservative Pennsylvanian called the new policy a “commonsense effort to cut red tape and help facilitate more research.”
All of this, by the way, coincides with the recent unveiling of the Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States (CARERS) Act, which would end the federal prohibition on medical marijuana. The bill introduced by Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), and Rand Paul (R-Ky.), is now up to 11 co-sponsors, including two Republicans.
When it comes to drugs, the U.S. politics and policy landscape is changing faster than even optimists could have predicted.

CarolKing

June 24, 2015
First Massachusetts Dispensary Opening Renews Hope for Entrepreneurs, Investors
11284213_l1-e1435154517939.jpg

By Tony C. Dreibus

The first dispensary in Massachusetts opens today, kicking off a medical marijuana industry that’s been nearly three years in the making and could eventually generate tens of millions of dollars in annual sales.

Alternative Therapies Group (ATG) in Salem received a three-month waiver from Gov. Baker’s office last week to forgo testing requirements.

The dispensary, which didn’t return e-mails seeking comment, announced on its website that it will begin serving registered patients today by appointment only after receiving approval on Tuesday to being operations. Unlike in other states, patients will not see marijuana on display in the converted factory, instead they will make choices by viewing products on a computer screen, Salem police chief Mary Butler told the Boston Globe. The city will receive 1.25% of ATG’s sales in its first two years and 2% each year after that, the newspaper reported.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Motley Fool asks: Are Marijuana Prices About to Plummet?

While monitoring marijuana prices might seem pointless, it actually serves an important purpose for potential investors in marijuana stocks.

Generally speaking, falling prices to the tune of 21% to 38% on a year-over-year basis is very worrisome. It typically means tighter margins, falling profits, and it could squeeze some growers or retailers out of the picture. It also means the profit ceiling for marijuana companies is likely shrinking.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It also means the profit ceiling for marijuana companies is likely shrinking.

That's OK, cause right now it is likely gazillions. Nothin wrong with that, other than it shows that there is no excuse for MJs very high prices. I'm sure the industry will do fine with lower prices at the consumer level, but some of the Pie in the Sky seller wet dreams will probably be crushed.

It may also result in a little cutting back on the tax thievery, but I'll need to see that to believe it.

Once the industry normalizes and some of the unnecessary costs (handling all cash leading to high security costs, etc.) are reduced or eliminated it will all shake out.

cybrguy,
Reactions: Derrrpp

Gunky

People don't realize this, but the price of indoor bud is actually very low. Profit margins are extremely thin. I gave up on an idea of growing as a cottage industry when I tried it and saw what the costs of growing were and what was being offered for weed wholesale. Contrary to what people imagine it's difficult to make any profit unless you market directly to end customers, and even then the margin is not great. About 4 or 5 years ago when wholesale prices were more than double what they are now, it was a different story.

Last edited:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
What is the point of growing legal weed indoor? Isn't indoor mainly for hiding because it's illegal? Yes, the quality can be higher as the evironment is completely controlled, but controlling it like that is expensive and noone does it with any other plants. When it's legal, greenhouses should be the way to go. And I think most growers already do that, only groeing a little indoors so they can also compete with small ammount of high-quality buds.

Seek,
Reactions: grokit

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I know people that combine a yearly outdoor grow with greenhouses. Rural property combined with fences, dogs, motion detecting equipment, and firearms seems to keep poachers at bay. They have never had a problem in over 30 years of production.

Last edited:

Eschient

Giga-Dweebess
I know people that combined a yearly outdoor grow with greenhouses. Rural property combined with fences, dogs, motion detecting equipment, and firearms seems to keep poachers at bay. They have never had a problem in over 30 years of production.

Pretty sure that's kind of setup isn't going to be allowed under local statutes in my area no matter how legal MJ ends up here. :lol: Envious as hell!

Eschient,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I thought in some places where mmj is legal you can't have both a firearm and Herb on the same property.
Or even own a gun legally if you have an MMJ card.

RUDE BOY,
Reactions: Kief

grokit

well-worn member
I thought in some places where mmj is legal you can't have both a firearm and Herb on the same property.
Or even own a gun legally if you have an MMJ card.
I'm not sure about this. I do know if you have kids it can become endangerment which is very bad.

grokit,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I thought in some places where mmj is legal you can't have both a firearm and Herb on the same property. Or even own a gun legally if you have an MMJ card.
I know for Oregon this is not true, and don't know of any state that it is, and I think that would go against privacy laws. I have a CHL and an MMJ card.

t-dub,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I don't really know the ins and outs of the laws in MMJ states so I could well have misspoken. I was just told this by someone who's an avid gun owner who was going to move to Cali or Colorado a couple of years ago due to wanting to live where mmj is legal, his reason at the time for not doing so was his gun collection.

... my info could pure hearsay I guess as it's just based on what he was told and passed on to me.

:shrug:

RUDE BOY,

grokit

well-worn member
Come to think of it, these days everybody that lives in my state automatically qualifies for a concealed-carry permit, and possessing/using/transporting/growing weed is completely legal now as well. I feel like such a tool for getting a medical grow permit, and a concealed carry permit, just a few years (just one in the case of the concealed-carry license) before this happened. At least I can say that I was ahead of the curve!

Top Bottom