Cannabis News

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
CBD Prescription Drug Is No Longer A Federally Controlled Substance, DEA Says

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has removed a marijuana-based medication from the list of federally controlled substances.

GW Pharmaceuticals announced on Monday that Epidiolex, a prescription drug it developed that’s derived from cannabis and used in the treatment of epilepsy, had been taken off Schedule V of the Controlled Substances Act. Effectively immediately, the CBD medication is no longer a controlled substance, the company said.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Gunky

I don't even care about reading the article. I just find the title humerous.

Experts: This could be bad for you
People: AAHHHH, Get me some more marijuana!!!

Smoking marijuana could make the lungs more susceptible to COVID-19, experts say as cannabis sales spike

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smoking-marijuana-could-lungs-more-143500075.html

Dang! What's a mutha to do? Hunker down and don't go shopping till the last bean is et and the last square of tp down the tubes, I suppose... Good thing I have lots of dope!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I don't even care about reading the article. I just find the title humerous.

Experts: This could be bad for you
People: AAHHHH, Get me some more marijuana!!!

Smoking marijuana could make the lungs more susceptible to COVID-19, experts say as cannabis sales spike

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smoking-marijuana-could-lungs-more-143500075.html
Maybe they read the article. (So much fear mongering. So little clinical data to back it up. Did I say "little" data? I meant "no"....)

""For e-cigarette and marijuana use, the data isn't as robustly collected," so right now marijuana should be put in the same category as tobacco in order to draw risk-related conclusions about the substance."

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Pandemic upends pot legalization

What was supposed to be a banner year for marijuana legalization is becoming a bust.

Advocates are pushing ballot referendums in nearly a dozen states, from Idaho to New Jersey. Governors and state lawmakers who failed to pass legalization last year — most notably in New York — vowed that 2020 would be different. But social distancing has put ballot drives on pause and state lawmakers are overwhelmed with addressing the crisis at hand.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Massachusetts Cannabis Stores Sue Baker Over Coronavirus Shutdown
Five of the state's 43 recreational cannabis dealers filed the lawsuit seeking an injunction of the order that forced them to close.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/salem/massachusetts-cannabis-stores-sue-baker-over-coronavirus-
shutdown

No, they weren't suing a bakery:). As noted above, the Bay State's governor Charlie BAKER(R) let liquor stores and adult "medicinal" stores stay open but closed all the wonderful adult use stores. Or is liquor now a prescribed "medicine"? What an f-ing hypocritical jerk.

Gunky

Massachusetts Cannabis Stores Sue Baker Over Coronavirus Shutdown
Five of the state's 43 recreational cannabis dealers filed the lawsuit seeking an injunction of the order that forced them to close.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/salem/massachusetts-cannabis-stores-sue-baker-over-coronavirus-
shutdown

No, they weren't suing a bakery:). As noted above, the Bay State's governor Charlie BAKER(R) let liquor stores and adult "medicinal" stores stay open but closed all the wonderful adult use stores. Or is liquor now a prescribed "medicine"? What an f-ing hypocritical jerk.
Yesterday in an interview on the PBS News Hour Asa Hutchinson, governor of Arkansas, defended not having a state-wide stay put order in part by making fun of the exception for "pot shops" in places like Washington State. Kind of unfortunate because his laxity is liable to create an island for the virus to incubate - for some reason most repubs refuse to take it seriously until it spreads widely and turns into disaster. But he'll blame it all on cannabis, no doubt.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Staying Safe While Delivering Weed in the Pandemic
Legal and illegal cannabis sales have spiked, even though doctors warn that smoking and vaping worsen symptoms and spread. These businesses face a new problem: keeping employees safe.

NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/...on=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Two articles about smoking and vaping and CV from yesterday's NYTimes. Personally, I ain't ready to give inhaling delicious cannabis up yet, but wanted to share these for vaguely educational purposes:ko:.

Smokers and Vapers May Be at Greater Risk for Covid-19
Tobacco and marijuana products damage lungs, where the virus does its harm. Health officials are urging people to quit, and temporary sales bans are even being discussed.

NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

How to Quit Smoking and Vaping During the Coronavirus Pandemic
People who smoke and vape may be at greater risk for Covid-19, but quitting is hard, especially now. The good news: There are a lot of helpful resources.

NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunky

I did not know this but apparently the black market is way bigger now in CA than the legal market. Hmf. Clearly there have been some glitches with 'legalization'! A lot of the problems the article mentions with CA legalization - like absurdly high tax expectations, crippling licensing fees and regulations, etc - were predicted (even here) up front before the vote.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I did not know this but apparently the black market is way bigger now in CA than the legal market. Hmf. Clearly there have been some glitches with 'legalization'! A lot of the problems the article mentions with CA legalization - like absurdly high tax expectations, crippling licensing fees and regulations, etc - were predicted (even here) up front before the vote.
The CA prices are head-snapping. We pay less than half those rates here in ME. I refuse to pay over 60 for 1/4....my CA friends pay more than that for 1/8. Massachusetts is similar. There’s your black market cause right there.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
‘Cartels are scrambling’: Virus snarls global drug trade

Cartels are increasingly shifting away from drugs that require planting and growing seasons, like heroin and marijuana, in favor of synthetic opioids such as fentanyl, which can be cooked 24/7 throughout the year, are up to 50 times more powerful than heroin and produce a greater profit margin.

Gunky

I dunno. This stuff reminds me of what they do to wheat. First they mill off the really nutritious parts. Then they put some of the vitamins they just took out back in and tell you they've enriched the product.

I suppose I'm a good deal older than the author of the article and even more of a canna-curmudgeon. I think the flavors the plants produce are good and I like kif-type concentrates like hash which don't disturb the original ingredient ratios too much.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Hey, guys, I started a new thread. It's the equivalent of the Pets & Animal thread. I've come across a ton of nice news articles, but there's no where I see to post them, so I finally got around to creating a thread. So, do stop by. @macbill

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warm-hearted-news-stories.48971/

Oh, & I'll prob. create one for Highly Interesting News Stories when I come across my next article.

1nd3cEnt

I dunno. This stuff reminds me of what they do to wheat. First they mill off the really nutritious parts. Then they put some of the vitamins they just took out back in and tell you they've enriched the product.

This is true of some but not all concentrates. You really have to examine how each trate is produced, eg., some trates are made by combining isolate with non-cannabis, plant terpenoids - I avoid these completely. The best but most expensive is full spectrum live rosin, which is a solventless trate made from flash-frozen plant material with nothing added.

I purchased on-line on 420 some full spectrum, hydrocarbon-produced CBD resin with nothing added for $26/gm discounted (Ashville-extracts), which is still excellent quality but less expensive than rosin. Live rosin THC cannabis trates are much more expensive, $80/gm at least.

Also becoming very popular is to flatten flowers with heat in a dab press so as to squeeze out pure cannabis rosin that can be dabbed immedately in a dab rig using either an enail or an isobutane torch, or a portable dab rig, like the DTV4 or the Saionara.

resin = solvent produced trates
rosin = solventless trates
live = flash-frozen
full spectrum = no distillate, no isolate, includes all the cannabinoids, terpenoids, & flavonoids from the original plant

Gunky

Last year my stash was depleted down to nothing and for a while I had to go to a dispensary here in southern Oregon. They had tons of expensive (to me anyway) concentrates, some of them quite beautiful colors. They also carried some bubble hash which is something I am used to making on my own. When I asked for bubble the staff people frequently didn't know what it was and upon opening a container would exclaim that it looked like kif... They referred to bubble hash as 'old school'. This is how you know you are an old fart!

I will say this: most youngsters in the US have never tasted real, traditional, sieved hash (or even better, hand-rubbed like Nepalese temple balls). It's wonderful! Been quite a long time for me too, alas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom