Cannabis News

Gunky

This is the new crap mainstream is feeding its base:

https://www.health.com/condition/smoking/dangers-of-dabbing-pot

Final word is a closer alright - dabbing as dangerous as meth production [paraphrased]
When I arrived for my freshman year in college in 1970, there was a sign up on the bulletin board of my dormitory at UC Irvine cautioning students about marijuana, because much more powerful strains than before were supposed to be appearing, which could lead to all sorts of freakouts. Uh huh. They've been saying the same shit for 50 years!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Holy shit, that was bad.

They basically just fear-threatened people who nothing about vaping/dabbing, think that dabbing is comparable to meth and meth production in dangerousness.

Emperor Yoshiro has a message for this author:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
To be fair, tho not perfectly clear, it seems like they were talking about the danger of making concentrates rather than using them, and there are lots of examples of significant accidents happening in garages and basements (and bedrooms) when amateurs make them.
That being said, there is much bullshit and ignorance in the article as well so it isn't a source of anything useful.
Ignorance leads in most of the "anti" articles, because fear is the only way to discourage people from something so universally appreciated (by its users). And the best way to gin up fear is to lie. Ask Donnie.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Seniors Have Nearly Doubled Their Cannabis Use, Says New Study

By
Bill Alpert
Feb. 25, 2020 12:33 pm ET

im-157472

Usage has increased as more states have allowed consumption of marijuana.
Photograph by Manish Panghal
An increasing number of states have licensed cannabis sales, so a couple of geriatrics researchers wondered how many of the new users are elderly. Plenty, it turns out, according to a study published Monday in the Internal Medicine imprint of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

In the four years ended 2018, the share of seniors who acknowledged cannabis use soared 75%, report Benjamin Han and Joseph Palamar from New York University. This rising usage should spur clinical research on older consumers, they say, because “older adults are especially vulnerable to potential adverse effects from cannabis.”

Survey data collected by the federal government showed that the proportion of seniors reporting pot use rose from 0.4% before 2007, to nearly 3% by 2016. As legalization has spread to new states, Han and Palamar found, the share of people 65 or older using cannabis increased from 2.4% in 2015 to 4.2% in 2018.

Cannabis demand may have disappointed pioneering Canadian producers like Canopy Growth (ticker: CGC) or Aurora Cannabis (ACB), but sales have been growing strongly for American sellers like Curaleaf Holdings (CURA.Canada) and Green Thumb Industries (GTII.Canada).

The researchers found that certain groups of the elderly showed even bigger jumps in their number of cannabis users, including women, the mentally ill, and those with higher incomes. There was also a striking increase in use among patients suffering from diabetes.

One trend that troubled the NYU researchers was an increase in the elderly who used both pot and alcohol. That co-use mirrors behavior found in studies of states such as Washington, where pot has long been legal, and the researchers note that combining the two drugs can compound their risks.

Another finding in the new study is intriguing, given the popular rationale for legalizing cannabis to help patients suffering from chronic disease. Apart from increased use by diabetics, say Han and Palamar, most of the rise in pot use in the elderly was by people who don’t have chronic medical conditions.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The study only went thru 2018. I think there has been a big jump in users in the time since. With the legal change here in Illinois, for example, I'm confident that the increase will be huge here. But the open discussion now (no longer on the down low) of the medical benefits should bring MANY in to the fold. Popularity will only increase.

C No Ego

as to the alcohol and cannabis usage = the protective properties in cannabis help you to protect against the alcohol ... vaporized cannabis will cure an alcohol hangover , in a few minutes

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
At my worst alcoholic moments, I usually awoke still drunk yet able to continue drinking. Never had hangovers: always still hung. But maybe it was due to the pot I was smoking. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Is hash passé? A primer on this old school cannabis concentrate

It’s the original concentrate from ancient times. At its simplest, hash is made from rubbing cannabis flowers in your hands until all the luscious resins (or trichomes) form a layer thick enough to scrape off, roll into a ball, and either smoke or add into food.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
mitchgo61,
Reactions: BigJr48

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Seniors Have Nearly Doubled Their Cannabis Use, Says New Study

By
Bill Alpert
Feb. 25, 2020 12:33 pm ET

im-157472

Usage has increased as more states have allowed consumption of marijuana.
Photograph by Manish Panghal
An increasing number of states have licensed cannabis sales, so a couple of geriatrics researchers wondered how many of the new users are elderly. Plenty, it turns out, according to a study published Monday in the Internal Medicine imprint of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

In the four years ended 2018, the share of seniors who acknowledged cannabis use soared 75%, report Benjamin Han and Joseph Palamar from New York University. This rising usage should spur clinical research on older consumers, they say, because “older adults are especially vulnerable to potential adverse effects from cannabis.”

Survey data collected by the federal government showed that the proportion of seniors reporting pot use rose from 0.4% before 2007, to nearly 3% by 2016. As legalization has spread to new states, Han and Palamar found, the share of people 65 or older using cannabis increased from 2.4% in 2015 to 4.2% in 2018.

Cannabis demand may have disappointed pioneering Canadian producers like Canopy Growth (ticker: CGC) or Aurora Cannabis (ACB), but sales have been growing strongly for American sellers like Curaleaf Holdings (CURA.Canada) and Green Thumb Industries (GTII.Canada).

The researchers found that certain groups of the elderly showed even bigger jumps in their number of cannabis users, including women, the mentally ill, and those with higher incomes. There was also a striking increase in use among patients suffering from diabetes.

One trend that troubled the NYU researchers was an increase in the elderly who used both pot and alcohol. That co-use mirrors behavior found in studies of states such as Washington, where pot has long been legal, and the researchers note that combining the two drugs can compound their risks.

Another finding in the new study is intriguing, given the popular rationale for legalizing cannabis to help patients suffering from chronic disease. Apart from increased use by diabetics, say Han and Palamar, most of the rise in pot use in the elderly was by people who don’t have chronic medical conditions.

Elderly doper and strong beer drinker here. I think the study grossly underestimates the number of elderly doing it, some regularly, some occasionally. My elderly buds and budesses who always did pot still do. But even more surprising to me has been the number who have taken it up after retiring. The biggest driver of the new users is legalization. Also, in my humble opinion, if decently managed, booze and pot go together like love and marriage or a horse and carriage. Only problem for me is my old cigarette and joint lungs don't say no, but increasingly tell me that less is better.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
vaporized cannabis will cure an alcohol hangover , in a few minutes

Cannabis doesn't "cure" my hangovers. Made me drowsy and less nauseous but as far as getting rid of the other symptoms like headaches....nope.

His_Highness,
Reactions: C No Ego

grampa_herb

Epstein didn't kill himself
Oh the horror...

Couple gets 2-3 years in prison for growing enough weed to roll 150k joints in south Aurora home
DEA.Pot.Bust_.10.18.jpg

Marijuana plants line a driveway outside a home in southeast Aurora after a massive DEA raid on homes across the city in Oct. 10, 2018 PHOTO BY QUINCY SNOWDON
AURORA | A husband and wife from Aurora have each been sentenced to several years in federal prison for growing hundreds of marijuana plants in their south Aurora home.

A federal judge on Monday sentenced Huanyu Yan, 54 and You Lan Xiang, 50, to three years and two and a half years, respectively, in federal prison for conspiracy to manufacture marijuana, possessing more than 100 marijuana plants and maintaining a drug-involved premises, according to the local U.S. Attorney’s Office. Yan and Xiang were found guilty following a four-day trial late last year.

Federal authorities and investigators with the Aurora Police Department recovered 878 marijuana plants and almost 10 pounds of cured weed in the basement of the couple’s home at 20050 E. Doane Drive after executing a search warrant there Oct. 10, 2018.

The plants would have yielded enough product to roll approximately 150,000 joints, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

“These defendants turned their family home into a full-scale drug manufacturing facility,” U.S. Attorney for Colorado Jason Dunn said in a statement.

Per state law, Colorado residents are permitted to grow up to 12 marijuana plants per residence, barring special circumstances. The prior household limit had been six plants per resident over the age of 21, although a new state law caps the number of plants per home at a dozen, regardless of how many people are living in the dwelling.

Yan and Xiang were among dozens of black market marijuana cultivators implicated in widespread illegal distribution after federal agents raided dozens of homes in late 2018. More than 250 homes across the metroplex were ultimately searched, with more than 80,000 marijuana plants and 4,500 pounds of finished weed recovered.

“This federal and state joint investigation targeted individuals seeking to profit from the illicit production and distribution of marijuana,” Deanne Reuter, Special Agent in Charge of the Denver Field Division of the Drug Enforcement Administration, said in a statement. “This conviction serves as a message to all individuals who are seeking to profit from the illicit sale of marijuana; they can and will be held accountable for their actions.”

Gunky

It's not like there is anything wrong in principle in growing hundreds of plants. There probably are commercial enterprises in Colorado licensed by the state that have similar numbers of plants. So they are going to spend two or three years in jail for what amounts to not having the right permits... harrumph. Why not just fine the shit out of them, take away their plants and tell them to do it the right way? I suppose because it's the feds, for whom there is no right way, even though they are not going after licensed commercial growers in Colorado, mostly.

C No Ego

Cannabis doesn't "cure" my hangovers. Made me drowsy and less nauseous but as far as getting rid of the other symptoms like headaches....nope.
I guess I had the right strain to help that hangover completely... was fabulous and the last time I 've had a hangover . back to the news - the Police arresting you for plants !!!!

Top Bottom