Cannabis News

Gunky

Right. And another thing: cannabis flowers should have a smell. There is a shop near where I live where I have bought stuff. Most of their stock has little or no smell! That says they are drying it too hot or they are rolling it around on screens and getting all the kif off the outside, or.... something. It should have this in your face bag-busting aroma that you are struggling to conceal sometimes. Not this hold the sample up to your nose and get a faint indication of a whiff of an aroma.

C No Ego

Right. And another thing: cannabis flowers should have a smell. There is a shop near where I live where I have bought stuff. Most of their stock has little or no smell! That says they are drying it too hot or they are rolling it around on screens and getting all the kif off the outside, or.... something. It should have this in your face bag-busting aroma that you are struggling to conceal sometimes. Not this hold the sample up to your nose and get a faint indication of a whiff of an aroma.
soils help the smells... all the water growing mediums and flavor juice used in the reservoirs do not make the best terpenes for the plant... weak genetics basically...

Gunky

I think you are right about soil, trace minerals, etc. helping create a richer and more complex scent. Even so IMO stuff grown with roots in water, flood tables, mass produced hydro - even that has a strong smell if you pick it ripe, dry it cool and handle it properly. I suspect a lot of the problem is they are in a hurry, raise the room temp to get it dry quick and half the terpenes volatilize... Or some other mistake along the supply chain. Most of that store's stuff is too dry - crumbles into fine powder.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Illinois marijuana retailers in potential $2B market expect long lines, possible supply shortages as adult-use sales kick off Jan. 1

Published December 26, 2019 | By John Schroyer
crop-illinois-prelaunch-300x200.jpg

Illinois cannabis retailers are thrilled at the prospect of large crowds of customers and high demand at 6 a.m. CT New Year’s Day, which is when state lawmakers said several stores can begin adult-use recreational sales.

Anticipating long lines and cold temperatures, companies are going the extra mile to keep customers happy.

One business, for example, has rented a nearby coffee shop to keep people warm and fed, while another has arranged for food trucks and heat lamps.

Businesses also are stocking up on various products to alleviate potential shortages and bracing for possible technical glitches with the state’s track-and-trace software system.
Marijuana Business Daily projects the Illinois recreational program could generate up to $2.5 billion a year depending in part on how many tourists buy cannabis products.

“I’ve worked on legalization for over 20 years, so to be here – not only to see legalization come to the state that I’m living in but to also have a shop that’ll be allowed to sell adult use on Jan. 1 – it’s really heartwarming,” said Kris Krane, president of Phoenix-based 4Front Ventures, which owns Mission Illinois, a cannabis shop on the south side of Chicago.

Consider the following:
  • In June, Illinois became the first state in the country to legalize retail sales through its Legislature and the 11th overall to approve adult use.
  • The shift to allow recreational marijuana sales in Illinois is likely to result in an immediate sales boom, and some cannabis operators report they expect as much as a tenfold spike.
  • At least 33 retailers are set to launch adult-use sales, according to a tally by the Chicago Tribune. More might open since state regulators are issuing approvals for existing medical marijuana shops to sell recreational cannabis on a rolling basis.
  • As of Dec. 19, a total of 37 storefronts had received state authorization, but several of those are located in municipalities that haven’t signed off on rec sales.
Keeping first-day customers happy

No doubt that unexpected challenges will appear, such as the potential for computer software problems with BioTrackTHC’s state track-and-trace system, which is an issue that at least one Illinois retailer said he’s worried about.

As for other possible speed bumps around the launch, some retailers that are going to serve recreational marijuana customers on New Year’s have:

• Stocked up on inventory and beefed up staff.
  • Worked out logistical plans for things such as online customer orders and overflow parking.
  • Brainstormed ideas to keep customers happy while they wait outside in perhaps frigid temperatures.
Heat lamps and doughnuts

One of the biggest challenges Illinois adult-use marijuana retailers might face on Jan. 1 is how they will manage to move customers into shops quickly enough that they don’t lose patience with long lines and the winter cold.

That’s why Cresco Labs has rented out an entire coffee shop, Uncommon Ground, which is near the company’s dispensary on Chicago’s north side.

illinois-licenses-788x1024.png
“(The coffee shop) can hold about 300 people, so we’re planning on having an indoor staging area, where people can come in, and we’ll have non-dosed product displays and iPads and some of our wellness advisers in there, where we hope people can figure out what they want to buy,” said Jason Erkes, chief communications officer at Cresco, which has also been in the process of rebranding all its shops as “Sunnyside.”

Erkes and other operators said they have no idea just how much of a crowd to expect but added, “We’re certainly fielding a lot of questions through our social channels. If that’s any indication of the crowd, it’s going to be a pretty big crowd.”

Green Thumb Industries, meanwhile, plans to have food trucks, heat lamps, coffee and doughnuts on hand to keep customers happy while they wait at any of the company’s five locations that’ll be open on New Year’s.

“If someone sees a long line, I don’t want them to be deterred or not have a good experience,” said Brendan Blume, GTI’s vice president of store development.

“The only thing we can’t really control at this point is the weather. I’ve been through a lot of Chicago winters, and they can be brutal.”

Purchase limits probable

One of the likely eventualities – and one that some retailers are planning on – is a shortage of available product.

That’s because growers had only six months to ramp up production as much as possible, and there’s still a sizable medical marijuana patient population to keep up with.

The answer for retailers is almost certain to be limits on how much customers will be allowed to buy on Jan. 1.

“We have right now maybe 90,000 patients in the state, and the governor’s office is predicting that there will be 750,000 adult-use consumers,” said Jeremy Unruh, director of public and regulatory affairs for PharmaCann, which will have three stores selling rec on New Year’s.

“That’s approaching a nine or 10 times increase in folks that we’re going to see in our dispensaries.”

For that reason alone, Unruh said, PharmaCann and other retailers might have to start rationing.

“I think some products, particularly dried flower, will end up being rationed or limited at the point of sale,” he said. “But I don’t think anyone’s going to run out of cannabis (products). They’re just going to run out of flower.”

Rolling with the punches

There are going to be plenty of other logistical hurdles, operators said, and they’re going to adapt on the big day.

For instance, Unruh said he’s worried that BioTrackTHC’s traceability system might not be completely functional before Jan. 1 to ensure that customer transactions will go seamlessly.

“That’s giving us some heartburn,” Unruh said.

But Cole Peterson, strategic services officer for BioTrackTHC’s parent company, Colorado-based Helix TCS, dismissed that notion as “rumors flying a lot that we wouldn’t be ready to go.”

“We have everything lined up. We’re on top of it. Everything is good to go on (Jan. 1). There should be no reason for licensees to worry,” Peterson said, adding that BioTrackTHC will have support staff working New Year’s Day to help companies with any last-minute troubleshooting.

Asked about planning for hard-to-predict logistical challenges, Cresco’s Erkes said: “We’re going through each location, looking at Google satellite views, and figuring out where we can rent local parking spots, where we can use valet services, how we’re dealing with rope lines, working with local police to make sure there’s security and people directing traffic.”

The bottom line at this point, GTI’s Blume said is: “We’ve been planning this for the last six months. We feel ready and prepared.”

C No Ego

I think you are right about soil, trace minerals, etc. helping create a richer and more complex scent. Even so IMO stuff grown with roots in water, flood tables, mass produced hydro - even that has a strong smell if you pick it ripe, dry it cool and handle it properly. I suspect a lot of the problem is they are in a hurry, raise the room temp to get it dry quick and half the terpenes volatilize... Or some other mistake along the supply chain. Most of that store's stuff is too dry - crumbles into fine powder.
metallic oxide ( mica) in soils become terpenes... mica would sink in a water reservoir , and plant trying to make terps with man made juice flavors does not produce terpenes as well as soil

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Gunky

metallic oxide ( mica) in soils become terpenes... mica would sink in a water reservoir , and plant trying to make terps with man made juice flavors does not produce terpenes as well as soil
I don't know where you got this info about mica, but it is probably wrong. The terpenes are basically all combinations of carbon and hydrogen. Look it up. I have used products like Ocean Forest soil, which is mainly coco and peat - no mica in sight - and the stuff stank loudly. I knew people in Oakland who grew in coir (looks like soil but is inert coco fiber and all nutes are supplied in the water; basically same as hydro), no mica, and there was no deficit of scent. I agree with you that ultimately the best smelling stuff is grown in good organic soil but don't kid yourself that hydro-grown lacks any scent; it's not true.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
U.S.-grown marijuana stuck in the states
Because marijuana is legal in many states but still illegal federally, marijuana growers are unable to ship their products to other countries or even other American states that have legalized the drug. So while U.S. cannabis firms have driven product innovation and mastered large-scale grow operations, they restlessly wait for the export curtain to lift.
It's a weird old world when we get better, cheaper weed in Maine USA than they have in Amsterdam. (By "weird" I mean "pretty badass".)

Gunky

Well, in Amsterdam you can get old fashioned sieved hash. (I am not certain if hand rubbed is available any more). Shops there have imports from near east, asia. For some reason traditional hash is almost nonexistent in the states. You can get bubble hash, you can get extracts made with solvents, but no moroccan, lebanese, afgan, nepalese, etc hash. It's a lovely, fragrant, potent product. We are getting good here but it's hard to beat Amsterdam for some things.

C No Ego

I don't know where you got this info about mica, but it is probably wrong. The terpenes are basically all combinations of carbon and hydrogen. Look it up. I have used products like Ocean Forest soil, which is mainly coco and peat - no mica in sight - and the stuff stank loudly. I knew people in Oakland who grew in coir (looks like soil but is inert coco fiber and all nutes are supplied in the water; basically same as hydro), no mica, and there was no deficit of scent. I agree with you that ultimately the best smelling stuff is grown in good organic soil but don't kid yourself that hydro-grown lacks any scent; it's not true.

identifying the terpenes per varietal via tracing mica soil samples is how we identify where the particular varietal of cannabis originates on the earth.... this has been know for a long time, My info was found a few years ago while researching what terpenes are...
the plant would have to be situated for thousands of years in the same spot to make those exacting terpenes ( from mica)... once removed from the spot the DNA lineage is there and the terpene expression will be there but after a few hundred years (??) of human interference the expression will weaken... the fact that we took the plant from its spot ETC.... if you have very strong genetics it will still produce terps from whatever medium you provide if it has some type of Fungal activity to make glandular essences... it would take a few grow cycles ( how many??) to weaken that expression ETC....

Gunky

identifying the terpenes per varietal via tracing mica soil samples is how we identify where the particular varietal of cannabis originates on the earth.... this has been know for a long time, My info was found a few years ago while researching what terpenes are...
the plant would have to be situated for thousands of years in the same spot to make those exacting terpenes ( from mica)... once removed from the spot the DNA lineage is there and the terpene expression will be there but after a few hundred years (??) of human interference the expression will weaken... the fact that we took the plant from its spot ETC.... if you have very strong genetics it will still produce terps from whatever medium you provide if it has some type of Fungal activity to make glandular essences... it would take a few grow cycles ( how many??) to weaken that expression ETC....
:rolleyes:

Gunky,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well Damn. It really happened. Congratulations to all my friends and neighbors who no longer have to hide their hobby/choice of buzz medium from ANYONE!

Turns out that hopey/changey thing was real after all... :rofl:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Illinois Pot Vendors Score $3.2 Million On First Day Of Legal Weed Sales

Illinois pot vendors started the new year by bringing in nearly $3.2 million on the state’s first day of legal recreational cannabis sales.

The state is the 11th to legalize cannabis for adult use. There were long lines and more than 77,000 transactions on Wednesday, according to former state Sen. Toi Hutchinson, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s pot czar who oversees the state’s new equity-focused recreational cannabis program.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Heading to Illinois next week... hope the lines have subsided and supplies have been replenished by then.
Bring plenty of cash. Six different taxes total 33%....plus the base price of over 80 an 1/8th would break the bank of even affluent stoners.

I try not to pay more than 60 per quarter. These Illinois prices are 2.5x what we pay in Maine. Yikes.

Tranquility

On the war on marijuana, two years ago (federal) marijuana cases dropped by 19%. Last year, 25%

Worst drug warriors ever.

https://420intel.com/articles/2020/...nnabis-cases-regulations-and-attitudes-evolve

The continued decrease in federal criminal charges is correlated both to the increasing number of states that have legalized marijuana possession, manufacturing and distribution, and the evolutionary nature of federal agents recognizing the increasing political liability associated with enforcing prohibition,” said Justin Strekal, political director of NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws).​

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Man, everyone reasonably close to me is out of Rec product (or selling only small amounts), and are keeping what they have left for their med patients (required by law to reserve for them). Several stores closed today to give their staff a break after the rush they have had since last Wednesday (they say).
With only 16 or 17 legal grows so far in the state (21 per article below) it is no surprise they are running short. I wonder if they might try to get permission from the fed to buy elsewhere until they get up to speed, but I have no reason to believe the fed would go along.

Otherwise it's gonna be back to the black market for everyone for the next several month in anticipation of the next harvest.

This is not a surprise, but it is disappointing.
--------------------------------------------
Some dispensaries halt recreational weed sales amid product shortages
Customers line up down Milwaukee Avenue on the first day of recreational marijuana sales Wednesday outside MOCA Modern Cannabis. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune)
By Ally Marotti
A handful of marijuana dispensaries around Illinois halted recreational weed sales over the weekend and plan to remain closed to the public this week as they deal with product shortages.
Legal weed sales kicked off in Illinois on Wednesday, and customers spent almost $3.2 million at dispensaries that first day. It marked one of the strongest showings of any state in the history of pot legalization.
The state has not updated sales numbers, but dispensary operators say long lines continued to form even after the first day. Over the weekend, certain dispensaries stopped selling recreational product.
“The demand was huge,” said Neal McQueeney, principal officer of Midway Dispensary near Midway Airport. “We knew we were going to run out. It was a matter of when, not if.”
Midway Dispensary stopped selling recreational product Sunday and doesn’t expect to resume sales until Friday. Like other stores that have stopped recreational sales, Midway is still open for medical patients.
For months, dispensaries have anticipated marijuana shortages. Nearly every state that allows recreational marijuana has had stores run out of product or run low during the first days of sales.
The Illinois marijuana industry spent months preparing for the rollout of legal weed. Many of the state’s 21 growing facilities are expanding capacity, but construction takes time, as does growing marijuana.
Another factor at play is an increase in the medical marijuana patient count, which has roughly doubled in the past year. Illinois law requires dispensaries to make sure they have enough cannabis for medical patients.
Some Illinois dispensaries said they were having difficulty keeping enough weed in stock for medical marijuana patients before recreational sales began. Dispensaries instituted buying limits last week and limited hours for recreational sales.
“It didn’t matter how much you had, you’re going to run out,” said Keith McGinnis, principal officer of NuMed. “You can set limits, purchasing limits, but still you’re going to run out.”
NuMed stopped recreational sales at its Chicago location Saturday, and McGinnis said the store has to see what inventory comes in this week before it can make plans to start those sales again. NuMed’s East Peoria and Urbana locations are still “going full blast” selling recreational, McGinnis said.
At marijuana shops around the state, flower, or the dry marijuana buds that can be smoked, has typically been the first product to go.
Dispensary 33 in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood didn’t sell to recreational customers Saturday and Sunday, but started accepting a limited number of people Monday morning, said general manager Paul Lee. The store never completely ran out of recreational products, but supplies dwindled beyond the variety it prefers to offer customers.
“The ability to choose (from) a variety of products is important,“ Lee said. “I didn’t want to limp through. I have plenty of things like (vape) cartridges and concentrate, but the most sought-after options, edibles and flower, were being drained at an explosive rate.”
Moca Modern Cannabis in the Logan Square neighborhood also stopped recreational sales Sunday and Monday. Downstate, Thrive dispensaries in Anna and Harrisburg had to close early Friday when they ran out of recreational products.
Recreational sales likely won’t start again until Thursday or Friday, said principal officer Gorgi Naumovski. He said it was disheartening to have to turn customers away.
Dispensaries in Illinois have spent years “just getting by,” as the patient count grew, he said. Now there’s finally customers and no product to sell to them, he said.
“I was there on Sunday and probably had over 200 cars come in and leave throughout the day,” Naumovski said. “They’re coming from out of state or wherever. The demand is definitely still there.”
That is evident even at shops that still have product.
Lines still wrap around the parking lot at Mission South Shore dispensary, said Kris Krane, president and co-founder of 4Front Ventures, which owns the dispensary. Wait times range from 1 to 2½ hours.
“It seems like compared to some others, we’re holding up fairly well,” Krane said Monday morning. “Inventory management continues to be a challenge, but we haven’t run out of flower and we haven’t run out of product yet, so so far, so good.”

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Cannabis Amnesty Boxes Are Now In Chicago Airports To Dump Your Weed Before Flights

CHICAGO — People are lining up to buy recreational marijuana from Illinois pot shops — but they probably won’t be as excited to ditch their weed at new “cannabis amnesty boxes” in airports.

The city put in the metal blue boxes at O’Hare and Midway airports when weed was legalized last week. They’ll serve as a safe spot where travelers can get rid of marijuana and other drugs before getting on a plane, since traveling with marijuana remains illegal.

The boxes are set at the end of every TSA checkpoint — after travelers pass through security.

The boxes will be regularly checked by the Chicago Police Department, said spokeswoman Maggie Huynh.

“The boxes are where travelers can safely dispose of cannabis and cannabis products prior to travel, as they still remain illegal under federal law,” Huynh said.

Huynh couldn’t comment on how often the boxes are checked — or actually used — but she said police officers will inventory and file a report for the items found inside.

Once the items have been inventoried, they’ll be disposed of — likely in the way narcotics are destroyed by police, Huynh said.

Chicago Magazine posted a photo of one of the boxes on Instagram, leading to dozens of comments from people who questioned what would happen to marijuana left at the boxes.

“A waste of metal,” commented comedian Hannibal Buress.

“TSA tip jar,” joked another commenter.

Another person added, “Weed love to know where all this stuff winds up.”

Top Bottom