1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannabis News

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by vtac, Jun 26, 2008.

1. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

people questioning why cannabis was illegal and banned has led to other questions... the moral break down of acceptance or not of a ( who's your daddy) type authoritative figure who have been lying just to serve a purpose while honest people seek truth. honest people just turn elsewhere for that truth... now it's blatantly obvious that cannabis has been demonized for political reasons plain and simple

2. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

THAT is the political dimension in all of this. Who is in charge? The federal government or the states? I like federalism and the concept of each state being a laboratory of democracy. However, I have little patience for those who pick and choose which is or should be preeminent based upon if they agree or disagree with the results in that particular instance. Instead, if we get the process right, it should guide us to the best solutions in most cases.

This case isn't quite that distinction. While federalism and anti-commandeering are related, they are not exactly the same thing. I think most agree the feds have some purview over drugs in the country. The states cannot overcome that with a federalism argument without really messing up huge bodies of law and practice for all drugs, supplements and any other pills, potions or powders consumed by us. But, this case tells the laboratories (aka states) they don't have to assist the feds with any fool idea they happen to come up with.

macbill likes this.
  3. florduh

florduh Well-Known Member

Didn't this ruling basically end any ambitions by the Feds to crackdown on Legalized States?

Any move against them would result in multiple lawsuits, bolstered by a 7-2 SCOTUS decision.

macbill likes this.
  4. OldNewbie

Only if the "crackdown" requires assistance from the state. The case did not challenge federal supremacy as it acknowledged the feds could make laws in regards to online betting. But, they could not force the state to help them enforce that law.

The actual case had an extremely long and fact sensitive discussion on how in this case, the action had to be allowed due to commandeering. I didn't find the argument there that persuasive. (That commandeering took place.) Even though I like the black letter law reinforcement of the 10th amendment in the holding AND the expansive determination of what commandeering could be, it would depend on the form of any crackdown to know if it would even remotely apply.

If the goal is to stop feds in black helicopters from rappelling down a line and burn the marijuana fields, the decision probably won't help much. If the goal is to stop the feds from demanding the state turn over its medical use database, the case should prevent that--absent agreement from the state.

looney2nz and florduh like this.
  5. florduh

@OldNewbie Thank you for clarifying. I think this is still modestly good news.

But you bring up a good point. The Feds don't have enough "black helicopters" to storm every dispensary in the country. That would require local and State assistance. It sounds like this decision helps prevent that.

However, the "crackdown" would likely just be a memo issued by the Justice Dept. The mere threat of strict enforcement could decimate the "legal" industry. So we still need new legislation from Congress to completely resolve this.

macbill and OldNewbie like this.
  6. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

7. OldNewbie

One problem in the industry is that many of the principals come from a place where following the law was not the first priority. Casual compliance can sometimes lead to problems in completely unexpected areas.

https://mjbizdaily.com/lawsuit-lead...broke-federal-law-with-illegal-text-messages/

One of the biggest facilitators of marijuana deliveries in California faces a possible class-action lawsuit that one Bay Area attorney says could threaten the company’s existence.

Farrah Williams, of San Diego, filed suit against San Francisco-based Eaze Solutions on May 2, alleging the delivery business violated federal law by spamming her and other customers with unsolicited text-message marketing.

Eaze is a technology company that is not licensed to engage in commercial cannabis activity but, rather, contends it acts as an intermediary by taking orders online from customers and facilitating deliveries from retail partners.

The firm operates in more than 100 cities in California and has reached over 300,000 customers since its founding in 2014, according to the lawsuit.

The company has raised $52 million – much of that through venture capital financing – and turned itself into a cannabis industry force.
    But Eaze’s status could be jeopardized if Williams’ lawsuit succeeds – although success isn’t a sure bet.

The case also could have wide-ranging ramifications for an industry whose marketing avenues already are limited and heavily scrutinized.

“The reality is that (Eaze) ‘growth hacked’ its way to the top of the pot delivery business – specifically, by relentlessly bombarding existing and prospective customers with text messages and other digital spam … without anyone’s permission,” the suit alleges...​

macbill and grampa_herb like this.
  8. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1968

9. grampa_herb

grampa_herb CO2 oil bigot

So true. Many of us do not have respect for the law because of our experiences with the law. A tiger doesn't change its stripes easily.

The law sez my dispensary cannot reuse CO2 oil syringe containers for fear of marijuana residue, so....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    macbill and grokit like this.
  10. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

interesting to note, the amount of stuff going into the landfill from Prop64 is rather prodigious, and we've barely scratched the surface with licensed and approved manufacturers and dispensaries (yeah, 5.5 months later, here we are) :(

Will be nice when it can be packaged in biodegradable hemp plastic.

I hate most of the CO2 oil dispensers now :( Huge ugly globs of plastic that wastes concentrate.

Glass syringes, can be cleaned and sterilized for reuse at least, plus I can always get the last bits out before I recycle.

macbill and grokit like this.
  11. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

His_Highness, grampa_herb and florduh like this.
  12. florduh

These Colorado Sheriffs are filing a frivolous lawsuit. Local Sheriffs aren't Federal Law Enforcement Officers. They have no obligation to go around "enforcing Federal Law".

But this actually brings up a decent point. This conflict between State and Federal Law cannot stand. Since the genie is already out of the bottle, the only choice is for the Federal Government to decriminalize cannabis. Prohibitionists need to understand that it's over for them.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  13. Helios

Helios Well-Known Member

you are right no they are not, It makes them "uncomfortable" because it's a huge cash cow for the agencies and departments and has long been an excuse for dissemination of military-grade equipment to civilian police units.

14. grampa_herb

grampa_herb CO2 oil bigot

Yeah, let's legislate based only on feelings and see how that goes. :mental:

15. OldNewbie

It is well-settled law (At least from a civil perspective.) the police don't have an affirmative duty to enforce the law. They can see you getting beat up right in front of them and (Again, from a legal perspective.) they don't have a duty to stop sipping their refreshing beverage and help.

Like @florduh , I don't understand the end game for this lawsuit. If they don't have to help me by stopping state-illegal activity right in front of them, I don't see how they suddenly have some duty to stop federally-illegal activity.

That being said, I don't see a free copy of the complaint online with a quick search and I don't care enough to pay for it through PACER so don't really know the claimed cause of action(s) as news stories seem to differ a bit and include information on a filing back in 2015.

16. C No Ego

17. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

FSU researchers find religious involvement deters recreational and medical marijuana use

Although marijuana use for medical and recreational purposes is at an all-time high in the United States, a team of researchers led by a Florida State University professor has found those who hold strong religious beliefs are choosing to stay away from weed.

FSU Associate Professor of Sociology Amy Burdette and her team found that individuals who regularly attend church and report that religion is very important in their daily decision making are less likely to use marijuana recreationally and medically. The study was recently published in the Journal of Drug Issues.

His_Highness, Alexis, florduh and 3 others like this.
  18. C No Ego

except for Rastafarians. cannabis is their religion.

His_Highness, Whisper, Alexis and 6 others like this.
  19. macbill

20. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

By virtue of this single line, and the reminder that this is a $223 billion industry, is it hard to imagine who might be throwing whatever money they can get away with at Sessions and his henchmen?

Not for anyone with a brain...

grokit, macbill, florduh and 2 others like this.
  21. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Some of the booze companies saw the writing on the wall and have already positioned themselves to be players in the cannabis industry. They see that they can't stop cannabis from happening and have decided it's better to prepare now for the inevitable and add another "sin" product to the mix.

http://fortune.com/2017/10/30/constellation-brands-cannabis-canopy-growth/

Ramahs, grokit, macbill and 3 others like this.
  22. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Frankly that is very smart of them. We know what the future holds. The only question is how long in the future...

In case anyone is watching I would really appreciate legal recreational before I turn 70.

Mr Prtizker? I am counting on you...

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    grokit, Helios, Papa Woody and 4 others like this.
  23. macbill

Not Directly Cannabis News, but Interesting...
    If Addiction Is a Disease, Why Is Relapsing a Crime?

...[O]rdering a drug addict to abstain from drug use is tantamount to mandating a medical outcome — because addiction is a brain disease, and relapsing is a symptom of it.

Adobewan, Helios, florduh and 4 others like this.
  24. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs New Member

25. florduh

Excellent point. America is beholden to Puritan "Law and Order" types who see punishment as the only option for addicts. Interestingly, a huge percentage of these Puritans are hooked on Big Pharma garbage and drive their SUV's high on pills daily.

More enlightened countries like Portugal absolutely treat addiction as a disease. America could take a note. I always found it funny that "America is the greatest Nation on Earth", yet it also imprisons more of it's population than any other country. Seems like cognitive dissonance to me.

Ibn Vapin, C No Ego, grokit and 5 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors