Cannabis Induced Apathy (While Sober)

What do you think about Cannabis induced apathy?

• I believe it exists, and I experience it.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • I believe it exists, but I don't feel like I experience it.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • I don't believe it exists.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am currently unsure about this issue.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other (Please explain your position in your post)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

EverythingsHazy

Hey guys,

This is a discussion thread about Cannabis Induced Apathy. To start, I am not claiming that it does or does not exist. I just want to have an intelligent discussion on the matter, with those who would or would not be experiencing it.

What is Cannabis induced apathy? It's the lack of enthusiasm/excitement for things that would give non-users bigger reactions. According to some studies, frequent Cannabis users show less reaction to potential rewards than those who don't use Cannabis at all. Furthermore, for those who do use Cannabis frequently, rewards that somehow involve Cannabis, got more reaction than rewards that were completely unrelated.

What I want to know is, do any of you guys notice that you either do or definitely don't experience such apathy, and if so, to what degree.

Here are two interesting studies on the matter:
Study #1
Study #2

*To protect our privacy, poll votes will not be publicly displayed.

CloudyDayz

I keep meaning to do something about my cannabis induced apathy but I never seem to get around to it, lol.

In my experience, it's for real. It probably depends on amount used and personality, etc . . but I find that during my heaviest usage periods I experience something like apathy. It's more like using herb becomes my primary activity at the expense of other (leisure) activities. I don't want to get into specifics, lol . .but that's extremely high usage..not the highest I've ever heard of but up there. Even at moderate daily usage, I don't experience apathy.

C No Ego

While providing homeostasis for our cellular biology via our endocannabinoid system cannabis ( or more so- cannabinoids) also imparts a calming effect and a sense of well being.... simply being that allows you to not over react to any given situation... now, taking the ability to act away is not really what's happening, just giving the person a more stable platform from which to view the world...

I think of the stroy from Ram Dass maybe from the book " be here now"..

He was going to India to seek out spiritual enlightenment and was focused on doing so through psychedelic substances.. fast forward to India- he tells his Guru that he will be taking acid (lsd) for his personal enlightenment and his guru acts interested.. so Ram hands him his whole supply of acid to look at and the guru takes all of it! Ram sits mortified thinking he just killed his guru! hours pass and the guru meditates while Ram anxiously awaits any response while noticing no change at all ... so basically the guru was at such an elevated plateau of existence that the lsd had zero effect on him and he took enough to send a horse to the moon and back on a pink spaceship! moral is, if you are elevated and the rest of the world is not expect your elevated awareness to be confused with apathy...

EverythingsHazy

Here's where it gets interesting... does Cannabis take excitement out of less intense pleasures, or does lack of excitement for such things lead people to use Cannabis? Remember, correlation =/= causation.

I keep meaning to do something about my cannabis induced apathy but I never seem to get around to it, lol.

In my experience, it's for real. It probably depends on amount used and personality, etc . . but I find that during my heaviest usage periods I experience something like apathy. It's more like using herb becomes my primary activity at the expense of other (leisure) activities. I don't want to get into specifics, lol . .but that's extremely high usage..not the highest I've ever heard of but up there. Even at moderate daily usage, I don't experience apathy.
What do you consider "extreme" and "moderate" usage? I'm curious, because I don't doubt that dosage and frequency of dosing can have a major effect on this phenomenon. Unless, those are the specifics you didn't want to mention. Then, that's fine.

Its all about individual motivation, if it needs to get done I can get off my stoner butt and do it, on the other hand if it is just unimportant stuff then I am probably watching the Venture Bros, again.
I feel like I can/do get important things done. I'm not worried about Cannabis making me lazy. I just wonder if it is taking some of the pleasure out of things that would be satisfying to others.

howie105

I feel like I can/do get important things done. I'm not worried about Cannabis making me lazy. I just wonder if it is taking some of the pleasure out of things that would be satisfying to others.....Being stoned out and about kicks up my apprehension level a bit so I am more attuned to watching the environment. Being stoned at home is more relaxed so I can enjoy friends, the environment and myself. So I guess it comes down to individual situations, for me.

CloudyDayz

Here's where it gets interesting... does Cannabis take excitement out of less intense pleasures, or does lack of excitement for such things lead people to use Cannabis? Remember, correlation =/= causation.

What do you consider "extreme" and "moderate" usage? I'm curious, because I don't doubt that dosage and frequency of dosing can have a major effect on this phenomenon. Unless, those are the specifics you didn't want to mention. Then, that's fine.

I feel like I can/do get important things done. I'm not worried about Cannabis making me lazy. I just wonder if it is taking some of the pleasure out of things that would be satisfying to others.

For me, I find an oz or more per week to be extreme. An oz every 2 weeks is definitely in the moderate range for me. As for frequency, I almost always vape (or, in the past, smoke) all day . .but moderate is maybe 4-6 times a day . .extreme is more than that.

Baron23

It doesn't make me apathetic in the sense that I no longer enjoy anticipation and excitment at other activities that I like to do, but it does make me lazy as all get out.

Yes, I have vaped strains that are "up" and strains that give you 'couch lock' the none of them really kick me into high gear in a productive way the way some say it does for them. The most "up" herb just doesn't knock me out, but none of it really energizes me to do a bunch of stuff.

They all make me very lazy...everything's manana, manana, manana.

I also don't find MJ to be a great social drug. Alcohol is much better for me in a group social situation as on MJ I just want to space out and listen to music or read.

:2c:

Last edited:

HighSeasSailor

I think it's a complicated matter, but I believe it's unlikely to have much foundation in reality except as a periphery effect.

I can't help but note that most of the effects describe predictable effects of addictive behavior or depression masked/self-treated with substance use. "For those who do use Cannabis frequently, rewards that somehow involve Cannabis, got more reaction than rewards that were completely unrelated" pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

To put it bluntly, if cannabis feels like the main thing you have going on in your life, it's not hard to see why it's the subject that will arouse the most interest in you.

Forget comparing it to alcohol or hard drug use, you can see the exact same pattern in mundane "addictions" that are never recognized as such. Find me a new family man and I'll show you a man who can talk of nothing else and downplays anything that isn't related - natural addictive behavior programmed into us by evolution.

It's probably not a healthy pattern of behavior when focused on an unprofitable habit, but I also don't see a lot of hoopla made for "love induced apathy" even though it's undeniably something we've all seen and experienced even to negative extremes.

At least with pot, it's also an easy problem to fix - feel like you have "cannabis induced apathy"? Get up off the couch and do shit, problem solved. If it doesn't feel solved yet, keep doing shit, it'll solve itself before you know it.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I use cannabis for mental health, so I can barely tell.

However,

I know what it's like to make it my only priority, and to avoid situations where it would be difficult to medicate. One time my best friend was in town who lives many hours away, and I did not even answer the door, as I figured it would be easier to pretend I wasn't there then to figure out a way to use cannabis around him all day.

I think everybody has a different limit based on how we think and perceive things. I have to be mindful of why I partake in this plants energy. I can over do it. Some people around me have no limit, and can do 1g snake dabs and not go into retreat whatsoever.

There is a point at which I am no longer being helped and am clearly self medicating. I often get nasty anxiety when I over do it now, as a brutal reminder to be respectful.

Baron23

One time my best friend was in town who lives many hours away, and I did not even answer the door, as I figured it would be easier to pretend I wasn't there then to figure out a way to use cannabis around him all day.

You guys still friends?

Baron23,

EverythingsHazy

When talking about a Cannabis Induced Apathy, I was mainly referring to a long-term effect that persists while you are sober. I think if you are just made super relaxed and maybe even couch-locked while buzzed, is a different story.

I'm more interested in the persisting phisiological changes caused by frequent Cannabis usage, that may or may not actually dull your body's reward system reaction to normally pleasurable things, rather than the tired feeling that causes you to consciously choose to not want to do something while buzzed or for a while afterwards. Personally, I don't like the idea of my sober life choices being affected by my buzzed life (haha), so I've decided to start doing a bit more research, and surveying of users.

Being stoned out and about kicks up my apprehension level a bit so I am more attuned to watching the environment. Being stoned at home is more relaxed so I can enjoy friends, the environment and myself. So I guess it comes down to individual situations, for me.
Whatabout when you aren't stoned? While under the influence of Cannabis, relaxing and enjoying things is easy. It's a matter of it having a long-term negative effect on your brain's reward system when you are sober.
While providing homeostasis for our cellular biology via our endocannabinoid system cannabis ( or more so- cannabinoids) also imparts a calming effect and a sense of well being.... simply being that allows you to not over react to any given situation... now, taking the ability to act away is not really what's happening, just giving the person a more stable platform from which to view the world...

I think of the stroy from Ram Dass maybe from the book " be here now"..

He was going to India to seek out spiritual enlightenment and was focused on doing so through psychedelic substances.. fast forward to India- he tells his Guru that he will be taking acid (lsd) for his personal enlightenment and his guru acts interested.. so Ram hands him his whole supply of acid to look at and the guru takes all of it! Ram sits mortified thinking he just killed his guru! hours pass and the guru meditates while Ram anxiously awaits any response while noticing no change at all ... so basically the guru was at such an elevated plateau of existence that the lsd had zero effect on him and he took enough to send a horse to the moon and back on a pink spaceship! moral is, if you are elevated and the rest of the world is not expect your elevated awareness to be confused with apathy...
I find this extremely hard to believe. If the guy had no LSD tolerance, I highly doubt he didn't get blasted into space from taking so much LSD. The guy has no idea what was going on in the guru's mind while he was sitting there motionless meditating.

...been using Cannabis daily since...1968-69..it's never diminished nor enhanced my apathy...I can do a study linking apathy to tab cola...big deal....let's negate human experience...for another useless study!
I wouldn't consider knowing what both the positive and negative effects of anything we do, useless. It's better to know the truth and then decide what to do with it, than to life in a comfortable delusion until it's too late.

For me, I find an oz or more per week to be extreme. An oz every 2 weeks is definitely in the moderate range for me. As for frequency, I almost always vape (or, in the past, smoke) all day . .but moderate is maybe 4-6 times a day . .extreme is more than that.
Oh, alright. Yea, I would consider vaporizing an ounce a week to be pretty extreme. A gram in a day divided in 2-3 sessions is pretty much the max I would even enjoy. More than 3 times in one day, and the effect of diminishing returns makes me rather just be sober for those remaining few hours.

It doesn't make me apathetic in the sense that I no longer enjoy anticipation and excitment at other activities that I like to do, but it does make me lazy as all get out.

Yes, I have vaped strains that are "up" and strains that give you 'couch lock' the none of them really kick me into high gear in a productive way the way some say it does for them. The most "up" herb just doesn't knock me out, but none of it really energizes me to do a bunch of stuff.

They all make me very lazy...everything's manana, manana, manana.

I also don't find MJ to be a great social drug. Alcohol is much better for me in a group social situation as on MJ I just want to space out and listen to music or read.

:2c:
Do you notice anything different about your enthusiasm for non-Cannabis things, while you're sober?

As for Cannabis vs alcohol... if everyone in the group is getting stoned, I much prefer Cannabis, but I don't really enjoy being the only one buzzing on Cannabis when everyone else is sober or buzzing on alcohol. In that case, I'd prefer to remain sober or drink a bit.

I think it's a complicated matter, but I believe it's unlikely to have much foundation in reality except as a periphery effect.

I can't help but note that most of the effects describe predictable effects of addictive behavior or depression masked/self-treated with substance use. "For those who do use Cannabis frequently, rewards that somehow involve Cannabis, got more reaction than rewards that were completely unrelated" pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

To put it bluntly, if cannabis feels like the main thing you have going on in your life, it's not hard to see why it's the subject that will arouse the most interest in you.

Forget comparing it to alcohol or hard drug use, you can see the exact same pattern in mundane "addictions" that are never recognized as such. Find me a new family man and I'll show you a man who can talk of nothing else and downplays anything that isn't related - natural addictive behavior programmed into us by evolution.

It's probably not a healthy pattern of behavior when focused on an unprofitable habit, but I also don't see a lot of hoopla made for "love induced apathy" even though it's undeniably something we've all seen and experienced even to negative extremes.

At least with pot, it's also an easy problem to fix - feel like you have "cannabis induced apathy"? Get up off the couch and do shit, problem solved. If it doesn't feel solved yet, keep doing shit, it'll solve itself before you know it.
I do agree that such apathy can be found with a lot of addictions. It may or may not be caused by the same physiological processes, though, so I think it's worth researching.

It may be easy to counter the laziness by getting up and doing stuff, but for those who feel uninterested in a lot of things, perhaps cutting back on the Cannabis could help make doing those things more enjoyable, as opposed to just getting them done so you don't feel lazy.

Dutch-Mic

An important discussion. @EverythingsHazy. I think it's terribly difficult to develop a proper research design to study the effect of longterm cannabis use on motivation, and to isolate cannabis from other variables that have effect on motivation. I know some people who say that heavy cannabis use induces apathy, but they also had some psychological problems. Other people said the apathy faded away after a week or two. But this is only some anecdotal evidence.

I'm curious what other FB members have to say about this subject from their own experiences.

Farid

Weed effects everybody differently. I get more apathy on days I don't drink coffee, and I smoke a lot more weed than I drink coffee. If anything, I feel less apathy when I'm sober. Weed makes me slightly apathetic, but that's part of the appeal to me.

EverythingsHazy

An important discussion. @EverythingsHazy. I think it's terribly difficult to develop a proper research design to study the effect of longterm cannabis use on motivation, and to isolate cannabis from other variables that have effect on motivation. I know some people who say that heavy cannabis use induces apathy, but they also had some psychological problems. Other people said the apathy faded away after a week or two. But this is only some anecdotal evidence.

I'm curious what other FB members have to say about this subject from their own experiences.
Yea, it's definitely hard to isolate Cannabis as a factor, but if it were easier to get a large sample group without legal issues, it would be easier to recognize trends. Results from studies that use small sample sizes are more easily skewed by unmeasured variables.

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: Dutch-Mic

howie105

Whatabout when you aren't stoned?....Still the same guy, just with an unaltered mental state.

While under the influence of Cannabis, relaxing and enjoying things is easy.... For me some activities are not at all fun when I am lit because I need a different mental state when doing them.

It's a matter of it having a long-term negative effect on your brain's reward system when you are sober....In some cases I am sure you are right but I suspect everyone’s reactions to drugs usage is somewhat different.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I guess I can't relate to the "while sober" addendum.

Honestly it's been a while since I was. I usually turn the volcano on first thing in the morning.

Probably why I'm mostly interested in micro dosing these days.

EverythingsHazy

I guess I can't relate to the "while sober" addendum.

Honestly it's been a while since I was. I usually turn the volcano on first thing in the morning.

Probably why I'm mostly interested in micro dosing these days.
Do you feel buzzed all the time, or do you just feel "normal" since you do it all day?

On or off all that matters is that you are happy. :)
Yup. Happiness is the goal.

That's why I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing my sober happiness for buzzed happiness, and instead, enjoying both to the fullest.

EverythingsHazy,

CalyxSmokr

I don't use indicas and I think that makes a difference. Sativas help get me motivated and focused to do many types of tasks
oh so I guess that means yes for the apathy. a good sativa gets me motivated to a level above sober

CalyxSmokr,
Top Bottom