Cannabis' Effects on the Brain

C No Ego

I am new, yes. New to this forum. New to cannabis. New to being open minded. I'm not new to struggles. I'm not new to pain.
Diagnosed with MS in 2003, i've come to learn about struggles and pain intimately, as many (maybe all) have at different points and strengths in their lives. Forgive me for my newness. I know that I have a lot to learn and I also know that I have something to offer.

I specifically chose this quote from biohacker this morning, because of the "dosing" reference. I have been very confused and lost when it comes to dosing quantities. I wanted to share my view of dosing and make sure that I am looking at this right.

summary of myself: I'm new to cannabis. I was 44 years old in July of 2016 when I tried my first THC infused gummy (10mg) and was immediately "not a fan". I don't like the psychoactive features of the THC at all. I have done everything I could to minimize my doses by cutting or thinning out the THC.
I have been using edibles of different sorts since that time, trying to find something that would work "well" for me. I say "well" because I have seen some benefits to daily dosing but haven't been able to see significant changes. I've believed all this time, it was due to my low dosages. I don't smoke, never have. I don't vape, never have. I have used the following: gummies, tinctures, RSO, homemade coconut infused oil and recently "I ate raw rosin". The raw rosin swallowed last Friday was the 1st time I have felt significant benefits from using the MMJ, ever. Now I am on a warpath to confirm my theory on why this was "an answer" and possibly "the answer" to why now, after 9 months, i have seen some significant benefits to MMJ.

Here is my take - open for criticism and correction:

I have seen 1g to 2g doses mentioned in previous posts. I have seen .025g doses mentioned.

When I look at these doses, i am assuming a flower is referenced. On a label of Harlequin flower/bud that I have from my dispensary, it shows 3.5g. I always look at the % of THC/THCa and CBD/CBDa. On this label, i see 5.2% of THCa and 10.5% of CBDa. I would multiply that by the 3.5g to get the usable mg of CBDa (367.5mg) and THCa (182mg) for this container.

since I only use edibles, I would put 1g of this flower with coconut oil and Lecithin extract into a slow cooker. I estimated that I would only get about 50% of the THC/CBD using this extraction/infusion method. I'm not trying to lose anybody, i wanted to see if my baseline thinking was good here.

In comparison, using the RSO oil was an easier calculation for me. In the syringes, there was 1.0Ml. I would use .1ML at a time - into a small glass bowl of 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to cut down the dose. I would use similar calculations of the % of THC and CBD times the mg of usable cannabis to figure out what my mg dosages were. I estimated about 2-3mg per day.

When I took the rosin which is basically raw rosin with only CBDa and THCa, i estimate my dosage was high - like 10mg-20mg. I believe the reason the rosin was better for me was the dosage size.

I look forward to hearing input. I also look forward to sharing more and learning more.

thanks,
[/QUOTE]

generally when using cannabis you can use 100's more mg of the carbon active form IE: ( thc-a/cbd-a ) as compared to the carbon neutral compounds ( thc/cbd).. heating those compounds makes them oxygenated and accelerates effects from said compounds...

how it works... while being created in the cannabis plant these molecules that keep the plant healthy and free from disease ( phytocannabinoids) have an enzymatic shield that surrounds them during the period of time the plants are in their living state... this enzymatic shield is the carbon active form of the phytocannabinoid.... once heat or time takes effect on the phyto molecules ( decarboxylate) , that enzymatic carbon shield (while needed in the living species for healthy expression) falls/melts away exposing the structure of the cannabinoid and making the newly active compound vulnerable for bio-active absorption and/or cb receptor signalling.... Hence active effects on the organism( human) once the compounds are heated and inhaled in a vaporizer...

Now, take those same decarboxylated cannabinoids raw from the plant and because of no heat or time involved the carbon shield stays in tact ( carbon active)... because of the carbon shield surrounding the cannabinoid when you ingest the cannabinoids the carbon blocks bio-availability of the molecule ( blood brain barrier).... your digestive juices will attempt a decarboxylation but by the time it can if at all the molecules are on the way out through your waste elimination processes and do not have time for active effects...
basically without activating cannabis via heat it is like eating raw food with a high level of enzymes and you do get health benefit like anti inflammatory for example( heating cannabis to smoke or vape kills anti inflammatory properties)... eating raw or juiced or taking the acid forms thc-a /cbd-a can help a lot with digestive issues and stomach issues....

this is probably a lot to absorb but please feel free to contact me =or just post more on this canna brain thread... it is about cannabis effects on the brain and learning is the best effect!!!!

a few key words to accelerate brain capacity!
endocannabinoid system
phyto-cannabinoids
active molecular compounds
cannabinoid receptors
g-coupled proteins
lipid signalling
arachodonic acid
most importantly, starting with Plato= bio-geometry, sacred geometry, to learn how it's all shaped into existence

Last edited:
C No Ego,
Reactions: shredder

C No Ego

the enzymes have the most anti-inflammitory effects and heating it above 128 F destroys enzymes.. it is strain based too as cbd is more anti inflammitory than thc etc.... using cannabis to effect the endocannabinoid system could then work on inflammatory issues also...

cbd can survive higher heat and is anti-inflammatory but the amounts are negligible with vape or smoke... an edible on the other hand or glandular oils........

bowl300z

basically without activating cannabis via heat it is like eating raw food with a high level of enzymes and you do get health benefit like anti inflammatory for example( heating cannabis to smoke or vape kills anti inflammatory properties)... eating raw or juiced or taking the acid forms thc-a /cbd-a can help a lot with digestive issues and stomach issues....

The effects on the brain topic has dual meanings. I believe this thread likely means "long term" and refers to physical and degenerative effects on the brain. The effects that I am trying to stay away from and avoid is the "high". I feel like an outsider in this regard. Although it took me several months, I see significant benefits to using MMJ for my health. I have never liked my thinking abilities messed with, or the time phase shifts. because of that, i never took high dosages and looked for ways to minimize the psychoactive effects on the brain.

With your comment, it confirms a suspicion in me that I am still the only person standing in the way of me getting the health help i need from the cannabis. I am limiting the healing abilities it has. I can say that when I started with the raw rosin last Friday, i have felt 4x better than all the days since i started using the coconut infused oil. for a few days, i thought it was the raw that was having a better effect on me - but quickly realized it was the dosage size. I like the micro dosing idea, and am continuing research on vaporizers to see what should work best for me.

I think it was biohacker that made a comment, for health reasons, the effects on the brain shouldn't or wouldn't matter as much as the benefits for using the cannabis.

C No Ego

The effects on the brain topic has dual meanings. I believe this thread likely means "long term" and refers to physical and degenerative effects on the brain. The effects that I am trying to stay away from and avoid is the "high". I feel like an outsider in this regard. Although it took me several months, I see significant benefits to using MMJ for my health. I have never liked my thinking abilities messed with, or the time phase shifts. because of that, i never took high dosages and looked for ways to minimize the psychoactive effects on the brain.

With your comment, it confirms a suspicion in me that I am still the only person standing in the way of me getting the health help i need from the cannabis. I am limiting the healing abilities it has. I can say that when I started with the raw rosin last Friday, i have felt 4x better than all the days since i started using the coconut infused oil. for a few days, i thought it was the raw that was having a better effect on me - but quickly realized it was the dosage size. I like the micro dosing idea, and am continuing research on vaporizers to see what should work best for me.

I think it was biohacker that made a comment, for health reasons, the effects on the brain shouldn't or wouldn't matter as much as the benefits for using the cannabis.

without mentioning it I was inferring that the thc or cbd with the carboxylic acid group in tact ( carbon neutral, raw cannabis) will not generally make someone " high" because of the size of the molecule while it's carbon active thereby not passing through the blood brain barrier to signal neuronal effects... the molecule size once decarboxylated allows a bio active response or IMO, more pharmacological effects with much smaller amounts needed than with raw cannabis molecules... then the only remaining factor, is the main molecules once decarboxylated thc or cbd?
If you do not want euphoria use cbd , cbd-a, thc-a... or use more cbd than thc etc...
also, cannabis molecules can decarboxylate on the plant near the end of the growth cycle... this mean that even raw cannabis can have some psychoactive effects depending on growing conditions... also, old cannabis will be more decarboxylate too and be more cbn that helps with sleep...

bowl300z

I tried the higher CBD routes with the RSO oil. it seemed the higher I went with CBD, the more depressed I became. At first, i thought it might have been the indica vs sativa but then i tried sativa that was high in CBD and similar, dumpsville feelings. I battle bipolar and found that cannabis appears to be very volatile when dealing with bipolar. Either Anxiety that escalates to paranoia or depression that escalates to wishing for death.

bowl300z,
Reactions: C No Ego

biohacker

I've been diagnose bipolar as well, you may find this thread helpful. Ever since my break over 3 weeks ago, i've been more stable than in a very long time. This happened last year on my 6.5 week break as well, as you will see in the thread when I declare my bipolar cured lol

I wouldn't take much stock into sativa/indica, it's more about the terpenes. I'm not sure how I feel about CBD yet, but so far I don't like it (on its own anyway).

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/mj-and-bipolar-disorder.15309/

Last edited:

C No Ego

I tried the higher CBD routes with the RSO oil. it seemed the higher I went with CBD, the more depressed I became. At first, i thought it might have been the indica vs sativa but then i tried sativa that was high in CBD and similar, dumpsville feelings. I battle bipolar and found that cannabis appears to be very volatile when dealing with bipolar. Either Anxiety that escalates to paranoia or depression that escalates to wishing for death.

really late reply here... I suggest not counting out thc in your regimen.. keep whole black peppercorns on hand if you take to much thc and are uncomfortable... chew on the peppercorn for delayed relief and grind and smell it for instant relief of paranoia and uncertainty from thc...

thc is more active on the receptors ( agonist) and cbd slows down receptors (antagonist)... with a good balance of the two compounds having synergy homeostasis happens

C No Ego

All I know is that CBD oil is having a serious affect on my brain right now, and body! It's weird, but after only sleeping a few shitting hours last night I love it!

you can toggle receptor activity with mimetics or cannabimimetics too.. still learning that one but fascinating info

Youtube-
The Benefits To Vaporizing Kitchen Herbs With Your Cannabis

looks great @ green flower media and kitchen vaporizables

please let us know how it works if you try any of those, thanks

biohacker

Green flower media sounds familiar.... I think they did that Summit a while back? I just feel all sorts of weird from the CBD, as well as my THC withdrawals.... constant tingling waves, and my head just feel very "loopy" but i'm also pretty sleep deprived.

C No Ego

Green flower media sounds familiar.... I think they did that Summit a while back? I just feel all sorts of weird from the CBD, as well as my THC withdrawals.... constant tingling waves, and my head just feel very "loopy" but i'm also pretty sleep deprived.

if you have access get some magnesium oil and rub it into your feet... thc use can deplete magnesium and your body could be trying to rebuild magnesium levels

biohacker

Been doing that for ages, as well as supplemental. I think I even posted youtube videos about it in the CannaBreak thread. Magnesium is massively important for anyone, especially regular cannabis users.

I can't stand the oil though...super sticky, smelly, and I just threw 2 expired bottles out because it felt like it was burning and itching my skin.

C No Ego

Been doing that for ages, as well as supplemental. I think I even posted youtube videos about it in the CannaBreak thread. Magnesium is massively important for anyone, especially regular cannabis users.

Great! the closest you are going to get is to meditate and fire those endocannabinoids on a spiritual high.. sending positive vibes your way brother!

Alexis

I can't stand the oil though...super sticky, smelly, and I just threw 2 expired bottles out because it felt like it was burning and itching my skin.
The oil cannbe stinging. I use it after getting out of the shower, while my pores are open. It never stings me this way. But in the evening I may applg it to my hands if they are sore, and the magnesium oil reallt stings me.

Either way, I always rinse it off after 15 or 20 mins. I hate sticky shit! Im OCD about hygeine etc, keeping my hands clean, not eating food and touching shit before my hands are clean.

The magnesium has been taken up maximum by then, and it is recommended to rinse or wipe off, as it can get itchy, the brine. I only put it all over my arms after shower, then rinse after.

It is a pain, but it makes so much difference with arm muscle tendon soreness. And it is the most effective way of raising bodily magnesium levels, superior to oral supplements and modern food. This is just a bonus on top of its soothing effect on muscles and nerves.

biohacker

I found some awesome lotion that was high magnesium but also had lavender essential oil and that was awesome. I also think you get alot of transdermal magnesium with epsom salt baths? Hot epsom baths with a couple drops of essential oil have been a godsend for me throughout this break. I use about a cup or more of epsom salts, but if it's too hot and I stay in too long, it feels like a cardio workout when I get out, and very uncomfortable sweating for a looooong time. But I think it changes once most metabolites are out of my system because my sweating patterns change.

the CBD has finally worn off..... it was getting intense there for a while, felt medicated all over, and for some reason it makes me warm. Unless it's just hormones and glands re-balancing....never really get those cold chills I used to when I bombed back the cannabinoids like there was no tomorrow!

The best part is my mood and outlook is always awesome, even my relationship has been nothing but positive, no mood swings, even though physically I feel awful. And very fatigued.

Anyways, don't wanna derail the purpose of this thread....

Squiby

I'm a girl so you guys may not want to follow this advice. I use magnesium oil as well as a supplemental oral magnesium.

I don't rinse the oil off after the recommended 15 minutes to absorb. I've found that if I follow up the oil application with body lotion, the itchy sensation is minimized.

little maggie

I have low magnesium even without cannabis. I've been experimenting with different magnesium oral supplements: magtein for the brain; magnesium taurate and a couple of others. For those using magnesium which ones have you found most helpful.

little maggie,

Squiby

For those using magnesium which ones have you found most helpful.
In addition to topical magnesium oil, I take long relaxing epsom salt baths with magnesium chloride added. It's the stuff magnesium oil is made of.

For oral supplements, I take powdered magnesium citrate because it is easy to take but bioavailability is lower than other magnesium compounds.

Squiby,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Mg Citrate (oxide is even worse) can have p bad laxative side fx, be careful w how much you take... bad times trying to combat bruxism from too much stimulants once upon a time...

I love mg taurate... best form I've found. My source for it didn't reply when I tried buying another kilo last yr tho. would be interested to know where you get yours @little maggie :)

I have mg glycinate right now but I hate the way it tastes. I also need to take a shitton for a decent amount of mg but yeah magnesium is really helpful in my experience

MinnBobber

Interesting about magnesium.
My Centrum Silver has 50 mg of magnesium and I take 1/2 a pill a day ( and not every day).
What do you think is a good Mag dose for a cannabis microdoser???

Alexis

Interesting about magnesium.
My Centrum Silver has 50 mg of magnesium and I take 1/2 a pill a day ( and not every day).
What do you think is a good Mag dose for a cannabis microdoser???
At least 300 mg. Plus topical magnesium oil aplication, plus a diet rich in magnesium as well.
I belive this is the ideal requirement. Pay little attention to government RDI's.
We need a lot more magnesium than most peopke think.

biohacker

http://gotmag.org/ Best resource and doctor out there IMO. You can find him on podcasts in the biohacking community as well.

Magnesium Bisglycinate for the win. Presently have my girl on the protocol due to severe low iron, caused by cannabis use affecting her hormones and thus her cycles. Research absolutely blew me away. She's been off of cannabis for 3 weeks now, and just had her easiest and best menses in 2 years. And she was a nightly one sesh user of only .1g, however over the past year use has been as high a .5g+.

My Centrum Silver

Do yourself a favour and dump that crap. Get a whole foods supplement, even like a sea vegetables green product, or an actual supplemental magnesium as mentioned. Check out the site, some of these magnesiums are the worst for your health (citrate IIRC, i've dumped the Magnesium CALM)

C No Ego

some info to get the thread back on point with cannabis effects..

citicoline.... I've known about this stuff but just learned that it can be used to offset thc effects if to much thc was ingested... the consensus is to take 3- 5 times more per mg than the thc

having paranoia or uncertainty is common side effects of thc ingestion and no it's not just because it's illegal but that does contribute to paronoia and certainly uncertainty....

C No Ego,
Top Bottom