Cannabis' Effects on the Brain

EverythingsHazy

Thanks for those 3 studies @EverythingsHazy.

Study #1 is pretty objective and makes an effort to NOT overstate negative conclusions.

Study #2 is from the Am Journal of Addiction, a journal that will likely never publish anything except negative assessments of all cannabis use. 16 of the 48 subjects are in prison . One of this studies findings is that 100% of those in the study had "organic brain dysfunction in a test of visual memory immediate recall." This is OBVIOUSLY not a random sample of the general population and could never be used for predictive purposes or general applicable conclusions. The study sample population is quite extraordinary.

Study #3 contains the most objective and least pejorative attitude towards cannabis and I'm surprised you didn't highlight this conclusion because it's actually very good: "...a small medial temporal lobe is a vulnerability factor for substance dependence in general" and not the result of any amount of cannabis use. And this final one: "The lack of significant differences in GM volumes changes between young adult heavy cannabis users and healthy controls over time suggests that heavy cannabis use does not reduce regional GM volumes in this period. The cross-sectional negative correlations between medial temporal lobe volumes and the severity of cannabis use can either be a result of heavy cannabis use before early adulthood (with maximized damage before the onset of the current study) or represent a (genetic) vulnerability factor that was already present before the start of the study or even before the onset of the use of cannabis."
I agree, and just edited tose changes into my post. Thanks for pointing them out. The three studies I posted about in my last two posts, were the ones @biohacker mentioned in his second to last post. I noticed they were PubMed studies, which one of my doctors said is generally a good source for legitimate studies, so I checked them out first, and found some of this info to be pretty interesting. I'm going to be doing more reading of PubMed stuff, and sharing more of what I find to be important to this discussion.

Also, I noticed the prisoner thing, too. That's hardly an accurate representation of the general public.

Something else I noticed in Study #2 was how they said the average daily use (in grams) for the subjects was "5.84.4 gr and 4.84.0 gr". Can anyone explain the second decimal point?

Also, I'm curious how the THC dose of vaporizing 1g of Cannabis compares to smoking 1g of the same Cannabis. I'm going to go look that up, but if anyone has an answer, feel free to share that info here. It could be useful to know how the two doses compare, when reading studies that focus on Cannabis smoking.

Long lasting effects of chronic heavy cannabis abuse.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28314070

Grey Matter Changes Associated with Heavy Cannabis Use: A Longitudinal sMRI Study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27224247

Hippocampal harms, protection and recovery following regular cannabis use.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26756903

Pubmed is great...I just input long term cannabis brain.

Last edited:

biohacker

Also, I'm curious how the THC dose of vaporizing 1g of Cannabis compares to smoking 1g of the same Cannabis. I'm going to go look that up, but if anyone has an answer, feel free to share that info here. It could be useful to know how the two doses compare, when reading studies that focus on Cannabis smoking.

Just my opinion, but I feel that vaporizing gives you way more actives to the dome than combusting the same amount. Completely different due to all the extra toxins in smoke, but overall I feel that vaporizing is far stronger.

Thanks for digging so deep Hazy, and thanks archangel for your critical thinking contributions. It's all so very much appreciated.

I still take all the studies with a grain of salt, and I know it's not scientific, but nothing beats real user experiences, which I was I read about anecdotes. Everyone is different, but there are motifs that simply cannot be denied.

If anything, this is a HUGE eye opener for me. I'm not panicking, however now realize that perhaps cannabis in the frequency and amount that I have been using, is not the healthiest thing for my well being.

It's the stories of those who quit, and after several months, one year...what their brains are like. It's eye opening.... I can relate to things such a depersonalization/derealization, anxiety, depression, and brain fog. I used to be SO witty, extroverted, happy go lucky, etc. and I feel like my entire personality changed from daily cannabis use.

Here is an anecodte from a longer term abstinence for those that care:

http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=80881&p=740732#p740732

Not a study, but still something to consider... IMO it's best to just moderate and take frequent breaks to be safe. When you're young you are invincible and don't care about the future. Then again, now at mid age I realize I won't live forever and realize i'm not invincible but still don't care much about the future lol

Last edited:

C No Ego

I very much agree with sunlight being the ultimate source for growing cannabis. There are terps and flavor profiles you just won't get with indoor.

All the bagseed I've grown outside has always had tremendous flavor. The whole entourage effect I guess.

As far as the effects on the brain well.... it does my brain good lol.

outdoor grown cannabis tends to have more open bud structure allowing light to penetrate the buds/flowers deeper... well, actually outdoor grown is usually more sativa leaning and sativa grows with a more open bud structure so there's correlation with types of cannabis to where it's grown etc...

Yes I am also subscribed to the NECESSITY of supplementing with cannabinoids for optimal health and balance, and essentially homeostasis.

To me this has to be maybe the most key reason why illuminati and co have strived to take it away from us. All the things that are good for us, first target- get rid of it, second, make it less helpful and more harmful.

Third- a mixture but make sure they profit somehow and maintain control.
I do believe that many sick people with conditions you have mentioned above, who never ingest any form of cannabis, are lacking this "dietary essential" with no idea about it.

But as @C No Ego has gestured, there is a huge variation of the specific cannabinoids and their exact levels and ratios.
Ideally, we each require individually tailored material according to our requirememts at any given time, in order to make cannabis the ultimate medicine. It is the same concept as nutritional balancing, but is curently done totally haphazardly by MJ medical practitioners and patients. Kind of "pot" luck!:lol:

I do imagine, one day technology will be advancd enough to determine the precise cannabinoid requirements of the individual, and hopefully, provide exactly that, free of charge of course, in the healthiest, purest manner possible.

Idealist at heart or what?
When I see my homeopath for Vega testing, I have taken samples of different plants we grew. The feedback is very interesting and as always a perfect reflection of my experience with any given substance.

Generally sativas usually show more benefit with little to no downside. Indicas dont suit my fatigue condition very well, but still show some benefit, but with some negative effects as well.

One summer, we grew a pure indica "Holland's Hope". We harvested it too late. All trichomes dark amber. It had a really debilitating effect on me, I didnt like it at all.

When Natasha tested it, she frowned and said "It's actually degenerative".
Which means to me- it takes energy away, which is precisely what it did, compared to the lighter sativas we harvested at the right time.
And that is basically CBN! I dont like it, dizziness, lethargy.

whether we are supercharging our ECS via high decarboxylated thc in a few minutes or just boosting the ECS via correct omega fat intake over a long term diet we essentially do not produce in us endocannabinoids without first acquiring those building blocks/ pre cursors outside of ourselves through what we eat... just like the vitamin c we do not make and need to acquire from diet etc...
we synthesize endocannabinoids as needed to maintain cellular homeostasis in uncertain environments ( physical life)..
here is a link to the first study that shows the crystalline structure of the ECS!
http://www.cell.com/cell/references/S0092-8674(16)31385-X

if our diets do not consist of correct omegas then our ECS is lacking and will not fire neuronal cb receptor signals needed for homeostasis( endocannabinoids)... the body does not store endocannabinoids but requires a steady influx of lipid fats from the world around us ( wild life with their face in the dirt knows this, there is no low fat/skim milk in nature- LOL)..

For what it's worth, an Ayurvedic perspective:

The ayurvedic texts declare that a medicine properly used becomes nectar and improperly used becomes poison.

Medical Research on Marijuana (Cannabis)

Recent research suggests chronic interference with the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use may facilitate drug dependence and impair the body’s natural homeostatic balancing mechanisms.

The Biochemistry of Cannabis

The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a group neuromodulatory lipids (fats) and receptors. In recent years, this system has emerged as an important regulator of a wide variety of functions in the central nervous system. It appears to modulate widespread neuronal activities and is responsible for the fine-tuned functioning of the central nervous system, aimed at ensuring balanced functioning ─ homeostatic conditions ─ of the brain. Importantly, given its biochemical and physiological features, the ECS appears to act “on demand.” Thus, the system intervenes to maintain the body’s balance only when and where its activity is needed. The key words here are “on demand!”

The human body makes its own cannabinoids as a means of maintaining homeostasis. The whole system, like everything in the human body, is very delicate and complicated. Unfortunately, marijuana is like a “sledge hammer” ─ a very potent, crudely-introduced influence that overloads the brain and bodily regulation. Use of marijuana distorts the intelligent functioning of the brain’s endocannabinoid system. Artificial ingestion of cannabinoids in the form of cannabis throws the body out of balance, interfering with an otherwise precise mechanism. Though marijuana may provide some short-term subjective high, its use may induce short- as well as long-term disturbance of the normal equilibrium of the ECS system and may contribute to a variety of different unwanted symptoms and diseases. Research also suggests that marijuana does qualify as a “gateway” drug, increasing the likelihood that the casual user will engage in drugs that are both stronger and more destructive as the disease of addiction progresses — biologically, psychologically, socially and spiritually.

The Ayurvedic Perspective

When properly prepared in a synergistic formula and used in minute quantities under the care and direction of an expert, it can aid digestion. The use of cannabis is always in a synergy with other herbs and spices and never by itself. (No such products are sold in the United States.)

People ask why it would be that an herb that has medical use in some cases can cause negative side effects in other cases. According to the Ayurvedic texts, medicine properly used becomes nectar and improperly used become poison. When marijuana is used in ways not prescribed or intended (for example, in doses and for periods of time not prescribed), it can cause a host of imbalances and side effects, including stimulating delusions and slowing speech.

“Recreational use of marijuana creates ama,” says Jadgish N. Vaidya, Director of Maharishi Ayurvedic Programs at Lancaster Health Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts. “It impairs digestion and intellect, it upsets hormonal balances, and it can be addictive, in the traditional view of Ayurveda.” The classically-trained Vaidya, or Ayurvedic expert, adds, “It is not a path to enlightenment. Enlightenment is the moment-to-moment awareness of totality; the full inner and full outer value of awareness. Not the loss of awareness.”

holy anointing oil had cannabis and other synergistic herbs and spices mixed in it with olive oil as the base...

and because we cannot make/synthesize endocannabinoids in our ECS if we have never eaten any fat then even adding fast acting decarboxylated cannabis vapor is a supplement for that system( just more fast acting) .... whether you are supplementing with a long term lipid fat diet or vapor the results are somewhat similar biochemically speaking- when endocannabinoids are synthesized on demand they fire neuronal signalling at the cb1 or cb2 receptor and that imparts trans cellular information to human biology and then it's over... simple as that as neuronal firing happens instantly and any metabolic waste ( ooh) generated from that crystalline molecular structure( endocannabinoid) being fired gets eliminated through metabolic pathways

Alexis

All very insightful indeed. I wonder what effect either the proper dietary supply of the right fats and omegas, or the lack of it, alters our experience and tolerance of cannabis, as well as the fullness or enjoyment of the effect.

Plus the extent to which it is beneficial, and how much we need, what dose constitutes a "medicine", or a "poison".
I will leave all you super brains to figure this out in time though!;):popcorn:

Seperately, Im curious what you folks all do to get adequete omega fats,,and keep your ratios of 3 to 6 ideal?
It isnt just about what you eat, but crucially what you avoid or limit, too much omega 6 will surely mess with the ECS balance as well as being highly inflammatory.

Chia seeds? Flax seeds? Fish oil? Oily fish? Organic eggs? ( @biohacker !;))

Currently in the UK (maybe the whole world?), due to bird flu, all hens and chickens have to be kept indoors.
So they wont be grazing, eating grains instead. Therefore, massive imbalance of omega 6 to 3!

Last edited:

Squiby

Seperately, Im curious what you folks all do to get adequete omega fats,,and keep your ratios of 3 to 6 ideal?
I avoid foods with high omega 6 FAs, eat foods with natural omega 3FAs and take a liquid omega 3 FA supplement daily. I gravitate to the high EPA blends for the additional mood enhancing properties.

Since omega 6 is so plentiful, my strategy is to avoid them the best I can and optimize omega 3s through better food choices and supplementation

Alexis

I avoid foods with high omega 6 FAs, eat foods with natural omega 3FAs and take a liquid omega 3 FA supplement daily. I gravitate to the high EPA blends for the additional mood enhancing properties.

Since omega 6 is so plentiful, my strategy is to avoid them the best I can and optimize omega 3s through better food choices and supplementation
The wise approach indeed! Most people have no comprehension of the issue, our ideal requirements, and what sort of ratios are in their diet food choices.

Non organic eggs barely have any omega 3, if any at all. I need to research more to be sure if organic eggs from indoor hens will not have much either.

This bird flu situation will need to be considered by many people who are well balanced in omegas, as their eggs and chicken might upset this balance now.
And obviously the vast majority eat non grass fed meat. And consume way too much refined veg oil and margarine.
Personally, my diet and supplement choices are restricted. I take a cod liver oil which has been minimally processed and only contains natural vitamins (they all are required by law to remove the natural vitamin D and A, and add back only one tenth of the amount- whichnthe government decrees safe! )

But most brands add back synthetic A and D.
I cant tolerate fish oil, and numerous other non fish options. Olive oil has more omega 6 than 3, but nowhere near as bad as sunflower, sesame etc.

A high intake of nuts and seeds can obviously be problematic, very high in omega 6. Walnuts have so much omega 6 they cant be seen as a good source of omega 3.
Grass fed butter and beef has about 3 times as much omega 6 as omega 3, but varies.
Coconut oil is neutral with practically zero omegas.

Our ancestors got a 1 to 1 ratio, 2 or 3 to 1 at the most (6 to 3).
Most today are about 20 to 1.
But even with education and determination, it really isnt that easy to get anywhere near 3 to 1 (6 to 3).

This is all from memory years back. I never looked too deep into it.

It's the stories of those who quit, and after several months, one year...what their brains are like. It's eye opening.... I can relate to things such a depersonalization/derealization, anxiety, depression, and brain fog. I used to be SO witty, extroverted, happy go lucky, etc. and I feel like my entire personality changed from daily cannabis use.

Here is an anecodte from a longer term abstinence for those that care:

http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=80881&p=740732#p740732

Not a study, but still something to consider... IMO it's best to just moderate and take frequent breaks to be safe. When you're young you are invincible and don't care about the future. Then again, now at mid age I realize I won't live forever and realize i'm not invincible but still don't care much about the future lol

Since you are frequenting Ayurveda sites and addiction sites for information you will likely find mostly negative assessments of cannabis use there. I understand that cannabis is not for everybody, and some people have negative experiences with it, or discover that they abuse it and their use feels out of their control. As a healthcare professional I always advocate that people should pursue a healthy lifestyle, and if that means giving up cannabis, at least temporarily, then do it. If concerns about negative health effects (on the brain, motivation, intelligence, etc.) loom large in your mind then it is probably time to stop using for awhile and assess the situation.

biohacker

Which is why I have stopped using for a while and assess the situation ;)

I disagree that Ayurveda mostly provides negative assessments of cannabis, far from....but there are healthy ways of embracing, and destructive ways as well. It's just another viewpoint, no different than the Zone book by barry sears you seem to be referencing frequently? :brow: I dunno, just a guess! ;)

All these omega 6/3 talk I too know about Alexis from way back, but it's not a concrete science and all black or white. I mean, essentially we will apparently die without omega 6, and omega 6 is in alot of healthy foods too. There is too much contradiction, and someone like Ray Peat will blast ALL polyunsaturates whether 6 or 3. He's very against fish oil, and I don't take that stuff anymore for a variety of reasons. I eat fatty fish like my salmon dinner tonight. Sardines are awesome (in olive oil, especially the brisling variety), organic free range eggs (no bird flu here), etc.

The forums are also about anecdotes....and just FYI for anyone that is scared shitless when they quit and realize that their brains are a complete mess for not taking a break in several years.

One thing that bugs me the same as all the negative talk, is all the pro-talk with "blinders on". How there can no way be any negative effects from this drug. I can't stand biases on either side.

Alexis

I disagree that Ayurveda mostly provides negative assessments of cannabis, far from....but there are healthy ways of embracing, and destructive ways as well. It's just another viewpoint, no different than the Zone book by barry sears you seem to be referencing frequently? :brow: I dunno, just a guess! ;)

All these omega 6/3 talk I too know about Alexis from way back, but it's not a concrete science and all black or white. I mean, essentially we will apparently die without omega 6, and omega 6 is in alot of healthy foods too. There is too much contradiction, and someone like Ray Peat will blast ALL polyunsaturates whether 6 or 3. He's very against fish oil, and I don't take that stuff anymore for a variety of reasons. I eat fatty fish like my salmon dinner tonight. Sardines are awesome (in olive oil, especially the brisling variety), organic free range eggs (no bird flu here), etc.

The forums are also about anecdotes....and just FYI for anyone that is scared shitless when they quit and realize that their brains are a complete mess for not taking a break in several years.

One thing that bugs me the same as all the negative talk, is all the pro-talk with "blinders on". How there can no way be any negative effects from this drug. I can't stand biases on either side.
I personally dont stress myself consciously worrying about an ideal ration of omegas. I dont actually stress myself about many things, especially in relation to what we are told we must do from all the different angles and schools of thought.

There are as you say, so many contradictions. What are we to believe? I take things in as food for thought. The concept of omega balance probably does have a lot of merit, and in relation to many peoples health issues today.

But it just isnt practical to try ajd adhere to the supposed ideal ancestry ratio. I mentioned it all, because I never give it much thought. I do subconsciously make commitments in what I feel make sense, direction wise- for example, I love sesame oil (so does ayurveda!), but I dont use it as a fat-- partly because it is more expensive than olive oil, but alos because I like my nuts/seeds as a protein and nutrient source, so a balance thing.

And olive oil is not so upsetting to the ratio-- I eat a LOT of olive oil alongside coconut oil.
Im pretty sure my omega 6 heavily outweighs my 3, but I cant stress myself out about it. I am very strict diet wise. But not perfect, ideal at all. I cant possibly be. Too many restrictions amd complications. I just go with the flow and adapt, modify in time, according to how I need to live to cope each day and make for an easy life.

I have practically stopped taking in new ideas from different sources, people. My hands are tied. It just makes me feel bad, this "should" do this, "shouldnt" do that. I cant do barely any of the things that are reccomended, so its just a tease and torment in a way.

I prefer to detach and step back. Im so tired in life. I often feel we are making things too complicated, going round and round, and not gettimg anywhere. I like to keep things simple, I really want an easy life now. Had enough of the stress and the challenge. Im committed to my health, and am ready to make big changes, explore options and go deeper when more options are available to me. And I will always stick to the "golden rules" I personally feel are worthwhile.

I just want to relax and chill out, like on a desert island somewhere. :cool:
I am just about done with trying to establish exactly what is right etc. Its all too much for me. I was happier when I didnt "know" anyhting, so I kind of want to go back that way, without grappling with everything.

All said, I'm not implyng anybody else share this view. Its just my view that I need to get by now, and find some peace. I already feel so much "freer" to have realised this and accepted it.

Incidentally, and of crucial importance to the world situation, 2 days ago we saw proper chemtrailing here in Bedford UK for the first time since last Julyl it was heavy from Feb 2016, on and off until July. Then nothing since. Until tueday.

Yesterday we also saw INSANE "haarp" EMF ripples through the sky. Blatant! But still not blatant enough for the common man still, in a mind controlled slumber , only seeing what then news tells them is true.

Anyway, the past 2 months, chemtrails have ramped up heavily all over the US and the UK. As well as frequent "false flag" terror attacks in Europe. The Elite are getting desparate to keep humanity from waking up, and are fed up of waiting for their hour or glory and ownership of earth.

The chemtrailing and haarp is all about consciousness and mind control. Too many are still deeply asleep, but the "awake" are also climbing more rapidly than ever. These really are crtical times we are in! Watch this space! We have set up our "orgonite cloudbuster" outdoors yesterday, supposed to reduce the effects of chemtrails and haarp, and raise the vibrational level of the surrounding area. I dont know if it is a coincidence, but after they laid dozens of trails and switched haarp on, evidended by electromagnetic ripples all over the sky, within a very short time it all just disappeared above us, and we had clear blue skies above while the surrounding area was still clouded over.

Many cloudbuster owners have reported exactly this over time! To me this is important shit, so I really wanted to share it. I didnt get any pictures yesterday, but here are a few from May 2016 showing huge trails and "haarp" in action, in case you havent seen it before.
Check the freaky unnatural ripples:

little maggie

I agree, and just edited tose changes into my post. Thanks for pointing them out. The three studies I posted about in my last two posts, were the ones @biohacker mentioned in his second to last post. I noticed they were PubMed studies, which one of my doctors said is generally a good source for legitimate studies, so I checked them out first, and found some of this info to be pretty interesting. I'm going to be doing more reading of PubMed stuff, and sharing more of what I find to be important to this discussion.

Also, I noticed the prisoner thing, too. That's hardly an accurate representation of the general public.

Something else I noticed in Study #2 was how they said the average daily use (in grams) for the subjects was "5.84.4 gr and 4.84.0 gr". Can anyone explain the second decimal point?

I think all retrospective studies are very questionable because there are too many variables. Some of the more controlled ones are more interesting to me but it's not unusual for researchers to get the outcome they expect to get. Or the only ones that get published are the ones that show a statistical difference when there may be far more on the same issue that show no results.

LOL, yes, stopping to assess is a good thing. :rofl:

I'm not sure if you were addressing the Barry Sears reference to me, but I've not read his book and know nothing about him.

Those addiction site forums are useful for people who feel isolated and need a support system of like-minded folks who want to stop, or have stopped, using cannabis because it was controlling their lives in some negative way.

Tobacco, caffeine, Tylenol, aspirin, alcohol, cannabis, and any other substance can be abused, and some of us have trouble controlling our use and keeping it beneficial. That's why I believe microdosing is such a healthy dosing strategy.

biohacker

I'm not sure if you were addressing the Barry Sears reference to me, but I've not read his book and know nothing about him.

I was, and it was a wildcard, but I now realize that I was confusing you with another member, so apologies.

Those addiction site forums are useful for people who feel isolated and need a support system of like-minded folks who want to stop, or have stopped, using cannabis because it was controlling their lives in some negative way.

I feel they are also useful for alot of people, even those that don't use cannabis and just doing research. If you don't find them useful, that's fine.

That's why I believe microdosing is such a healthy dosing strategy.

Not only is it such a healthy dosing strategy, but also the most sustainable IMO.

@Alexis, great post.... I know about haarp and chemtrails, and respect you not being blind like the masses, but sometimes have to think you are very much a conspiracy theorist! :lol:

As one of my favourite bands Rage Against The Machine says: WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!

Farid

If cannabis is giving side effects, or if microdosing is not working, I suggest re-evaluating your relationship with cannabis. But being on/off with a drug which is giving negative effects or causing withdrawal is asking for a cycle of misery. I don't want to pick on you biohacker, but when I see you post in the Supreme thread about hitting two Supremes at once that's digging yourself deeper ;). You have to stay vigilant if you want to microdose, making a concerted effort to keep doses small. For a while I convinced myself I was using 0.25 gs a day when I was really using closer to 0.5 gs a day. Then I let it creep closer to 1 g before I really took notice.

I've experienced the withdrawral symptoms, lack of sleep, nightsweats, etc, but they have been mild because my dose is low. If I was at 2gs a day I'm sure I would be experiencing much stronger side effects.

What I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't feel you have to quit cannabis because of effects you only get from a huge dose until you know for sure that you're not up for micro dosing. If you still get the negative effects at 0.5 gs a day cut to 0.25. If you still get them then, maybe cannabis is the problem.

Last edited:

biohacker

I agree for the most part, but you must have missed something. I'm not quitting forever. And I think we're in the wrong thread here (CannaBreak is where we should be discussing this). I'm on a forced break, that is partially voluntary as part of a biohack, and it's a complicated situation which I don't feel I have the energy to explain.

I agree about the Supreme and my extreme nature and VAS addiction. I need help. Trust me! :lol: This is what caused my issues, I admit it! Wake n' vape until bed. Book me lol

The poison is in the dose, but again, what could be 1g for someone might be .1g for someone else. It's not all about the weight of the bud. Far from. Way to generalized.

So many variables, but again this is the Brain thread, so imma gunna let it go back to that.

Thanks for your post though man! I ain't throwing out no baby! I think you misconstrued something.

:peace:

Farid

Whoops I always mix up these threads.

Forgot you were on a break for work. In that case I feel for you very much. You'll be well setup when your break is over, though.

It's funny, the one thing that's stopping me from getting a supreme is my fear that I'll stop microdosing. Maybe when I'm older and more responsible I can have one. That's all for the other thread though....

To stay on topic, forgetfulness is the only effect I get, but I can hardly blame cannabis alone. Before I'd blame cannabis I'd have to blame the prescriptions I take, then my diet and exercise/lifestyle, then the weed. I've learned some tricks to dealing with forgetfulness. Writing myself notes and lists, studying differently, etc.

biohacker

It's kind of a forced break, but something i've had to do and been planning. The Supreme is AWESOME for micros, and trust me i'm starting to be mindful of bowl size, etc when I buy vapes now. Supreme you don't even need to grind...throw in a tiny .025 or .05g size budlet and let 'er rip!

I too experience forgetfulness but attribute it to sleep deprivation. Yesterday was nearly embarressing.

Alexis

It's kind of a forced break, but something i've had to do and been planning. The Supreme is AWESOME for micros, and trust me i'm starting to be mindful of bowl size, etc when I buy vapes now. Supreme you don't even need to grind...throw in a tiny .025 or .05g size budlet and let 'er rip!

I too experience forgetfulness but attribute it to sleep deprivation. Yesterday was nearly embarressing.
Just out of sheer curiosity Biohacker, did you try the vapcaps before? Maybe Lazy's Ommivap? I know he didnt care too much for it. I did not either for mine, until recently when I used it for 2 days and was amazed at how medicated I got from such a tiny amount of weed.

Just curiosity. I know you know your vapes and preferences very well, so Im sure you have good reason if you didnt get on with the Vapcap.

Alexis,

C No Ego

as to the omega 6 to 9 fat discussion... what I've gathered is that we build ( biology) from those carbon chain structures a 24 sided structure ( like coQ 10 ) and with correct intake of omega fat ratios we have the building chains available to then create that 24 carbon structure to build with... that involves archidonic acid too and how that acid creates endocannabinoids in the ECS... If someone would go out into their yard or lawn and just start eating everything in it you would get the correct balance of lipid fats from your yard! we are to civilized for that though and go buy pre packaged food, LOL with Zero omega three fat in it.... any more questions?

for all the tests posted the ones that show the biochemical pathways all the way to elimination will be most accurate description of effects gained from cannabis use... we now know too through neuroscience how involved the endocannabinoid system is for maintaining homeostasis in all chordate life and is a basic requirement for all carbon based life forms... endocannabinoids are not stored in fat for later use anywhere in our biology but must be synthesized on demand from aquas fluid ( from fat deposits in water ) at the moment the cannabinoid receptor needs to fire...

the big question... if you do not provide enough, or the correct fats to that endogenous system for homeostasis of cannabinoid signalling on demand when called upon then how detrimental will supplemental cannabis be to your ECS? this boils down to dosing to determine this and one mans dose is not anothers dose etc... learning more about this endogenous signalling system that cannabis acts on will answer the question... and that goes back to neuroscience tracing the biochemical pathway of the cannabinoids...

I meant to mention in the above post ^

we do not make/synthesize endocannabinoids from any part of our body( stored etc..) = the building blocks for those crystalline structures, they must be ingested from our world outside of us.. Food

So, the fact that we have evolved to rely on this bio molecular medium of fuel means that it is vitally important and an absolute constant to maintain homeostasis in our complex structures...

sea squirts at an estimated time frame of a few billion years ago created the first endocannabinoid and heralded that type carbon fired fuel throughout time and evolution... the ability of cellular life to take on greater mass and structure through homeostasis of that cells' surroundings..

phytocannabinoids are tricyclic terpenols

Last edited by a moderator:

C No Ego

that post ^ put together in one spot looks jumbled... hopefully it makes sense to someone other than myself...
the point I've tried to make is that until our " science of the unknown" catches up to our " fear of the unknown " only then will we truly know...
here is an article about other plants that trigger cb receptors and endocannabinoid signalling that are legal to use

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4664820/

C No Ego,
Reactions: biohacker

Garysfriend

So I was going to make a separate thread until I saw this thread, and just figured I'd post here.

With the exception of a 2 month break last year around this time, and a few weeks off in Fall of 2016, I've basically been a daily user since 2001/2002. Combusted until 2007/2008 and then basically been vaping since. I typically only use in the evening though, and rarely more than .1g (by my calculations usually .025-.05g, using an underdog). So a very little amount but daily. The past year all of my stuff has come from a dispensary.

Anyway, my reason for coming here to post is that I'm dealing with digestive issues, again. The first time I had this problem was last year in the Spring, where I decided to take the 2 month break. Things were fine except for a few weeks in November 2016, and were fine again until now. At that time I thought I had the beginnings of CHS. Although I never vomited, I had indigestion, stomach pains, etc. (feel free to look up my post history if you want more info). I had been experimenting over the past few weeks, and what I eat, or drink has no effect. In general I feel I eat rather healthy. I take omega 3 supplements, magnesium, and vit B complex. 90% of my diet is home cooked lean meats, fish, and veggies. I also exercise regularly.

Recently, every time I consume, within one hour I get awful pains in my abdomen. I get some acid reflux, bloating, pain and nausea. It usually passes within 8 hours though. It's bad enough though that it keeps me up almost all night. The next day I'm usually fine (8hours after). So to me it's not CHS, but cannabis just messing with my digestive system.

I just figured I'd add my story to the thread as I feel like it's somewhat related. I'm on another break, haven't consumed for 5 days, and I feel fine. Other than being bored in the evenings, and missing it, I've had no withdrawals. I will say that I'm sleeping better, feel more energy, feel motivated, and definitely feel quicker (that came about after 3 days). The dreams are crazy. I'm a little less patient with people. Overall I just feel like my brain is "firing on all cylinders". Not that I was dumb before, but in comparison, just a bit dulled. I work as an engineer, and do well at my job. Now my job just feels a bit easier.

I do miss it thought, and plan on returning to it in about a month.

herbivore21

Sleep deprivation and insomnia are definitely possible causes of forgetfulness as you say, well identified my friend :)

Let's not forget that most of us here have neurological/cognitive/mental health symptoms that are likely to lead to forgetfulness. Let's also not confuse state dependent memory with cannabis induced forgetfulness. If any of you are curious, look up 'state dependent memory' to see what I'm talking about here ;)

Last edited:

biohacker

Been reading alot on this topic, and one motif that keeps popping up in my travels is that long term cannabis users produce less dopamine, and a main factor of amotivational syndrome. I wonder how many of us chronic users (morning until night) are just chasing that dopamine to get to baseline, kinda like coffee drinkers needing their morning fix in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms?

bowl300z

It's kind of a forced break, but something i've had to do and been planning. The Supreme is AWESOME for micros, and trust me i'm starting to be mindful of bowl size, etc when I buy vapes now. Supreme you don't even need to grind...throw in a tiny .025 or .05g size budlet and let 'er rip!]

bowl300z,

bowl300z

I am new, yes. New to this forum. New to cannabis. New to being open minded. I'm not new to struggles. I'm not new to pain.
Diagnosed with MS in 2003, i've come to learn about struggles and pain intimately, as many (maybe all) have at different points and strengths in their lives. Forgive me for my newness. I know that I have a lot to learn and I also know that I have something to offer.

I specifically chose this quote from biohacker this morning, because of the "dosing" reference. I have been very confused and lost when it comes to dosing quantities. I wanted to share my view of dosing and make sure that I am looking at this right.

summary of myself: I'm new to cannabis. I was 44 years old in July of 2016 when I tried my first THC infused gummy (10mg) and was immediately "not a fan". I don't like the psychoactive features of the THC at all. I have done everything I could to minimize my doses by cutting or thinning out the THC.
I have been using edibles of different sorts since that time, trying to find something that would work "well" for me. I say "well" because I have seen some benefits to daily dosing but haven't been able to see significant changes. I've believed all this time, it was due to my low dosages. I don't smoke, never have. I don't vape, never have. I have used the following: gummies, tinctures, RSO, homemade coconut infused oil and recently "I ate raw rosin". The raw rosin swallowed last Friday was the 1st time I have felt significant benefits from using the MMJ, ever. Now I am on a warpath to confirm my theory on why this was "an answer" and possibly "the answer" to why now, after 9 months, i have seen some significant benefits to MMJ.

Here is my take - open for criticism and correction:

I have seen 1g to 2g doses mentioned in previous posts. I have seen .025g doses mentioned.

When I look at these doses, i am assuming a flower is referenced. On a label of Harlequin flower/bud that I have from my dispensary, it shows 3.5g. I always look at the % of THC/THCa and CBD/CBDa. On this label, i see 5.2% of THCa and 10.5% of CBDa. I would multiply that by the 3.5g to get the usable mg of CBDa (367.5mg) and THCa (182mg) for this container.

since I only use edibles, I would put 1g of this flower with coconut oil and Lecithin extract into a slow cooker. I estimated that I would only get about 50% of the THC/CBD using this extraction/infusion method. I'm not trying to lose anybody, i wanted to see if my baseline thinking was good here.

In comparison, using the RSO oil was an easier calculation for me. In the syringes, there was 1.0Ml. I would use .1ML at a time - into a small glass bowl of 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to cut down the dose. I would use similar calculations of the % of THC and CBD times the mg of usable cannabis to figure out what my mg dosages were. I estimated about 2-3mg per day.

When I took the rosin which is basically raw rosin with only CBDa and THCa, i estimate my dosage was high - like 10mg-20mg. I believe the reason the rosin was better for me was the dosage size.

I look forward to hearing input. I also look forward to sharing more and learning more.

thanks,[/QUOTE]

bowl300z,
Reactions: Squiby

Squiby

I have seen 1g to 2g doses mentioned in previous posts. I have seen .025g doses mentioned.

When I look at these doses, i am assuming a flower is referenced.
I have nothing to offer you really regarding oral consumption. I've tried it many times in the past and like you, I'm not a fan. I don't tolerate the orally ingested high very well at all. Too long, too intense and uncomfortable always. I've tried to build my tolerance but it's no good, I really don't like the high edibles offer.

I have used cannabis throughout my adult life and was given cannabis tea as a child by my grandmother when I was sick. Cannabis was a necessary crop in the prairies. It was used as a wind break and to control soil errosion. Tea was made for medicinal use. It was likely hemp and therefore the active constituent CBD and little, if any HTC. I didn't get high on the tea, but it relaxed me, made me feel much better and helped me get some much needed sleep.

Anyway, I vape my weed for pain and nausea. I vape sativa to give me the energy to perform my daily chores in comfort and with motivation. I vape high CBD strains for nausea, inflammation and pain control.

I microdose. By this I mean that I vape a tiny amount every few hours throughout the day. I am in a rural part of the country and retired. Each time I vape I load about 0.015 grams. The amazing thing that I have learned is that weed can be shockingly effective at very small amounts. Vaping a concentrate like shatter or rosin will improve high to a lighter, clear headed, feel good experience. Edibles make me stoned, foggy, confused and my body becomes uncoordinated and clumsy. An unproductive high for me.

What I mean to pass on to you is that I think dose, strain and the consumption method have everything to do with the results you will experience, in terms of the medicinal benefits and the high. You will need to experiment to find your sweet spot. I do recommend vaporizing. It is very easy to gauge your dose but you need to partake every few hours versus the long edible high. I use the Vapcap vaporizer by Dynavap. It's quick and simple.

Check out Leafly.com. It is a website that has catalogued hundreds of cannabis strains, or varieties. They all have different effects and you can search strains that will address the outcome you are looking for.

https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring

Last edited:
Top Bottom