Cannabis and effect on Blood Pressure

wolf1027

I have always had high bp and now am currently a couple of months on t break and my bp is up again. Doctor wants to put me on a slew of pills but I like natural remedies.
Does anyone know the effects of blood pressure and MJ from personal experience? I tried googling it up I feel like corporations put up fake research to make mj look bad so they can keep selling pharma. I know it sounds crazy.
I know that my heart rate goes up the first time I toke after a t break and sometimes puts me in panic mode but this usually goes away after a couple of sessions.
I am 35 healthy runner male. Who eats pretty healthy. No other known symptoms. Heart is healthy just have high bp.

wolf1027,
Reactions: DDave

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Some people are more prone to high blood pressure. I have always had low blood pressure as an adult even though I use cannabis regularly. Sounds like you are a lot younger and workout more than I do. I am a walker and I ride my bike occasionally.

My BP is always at around 112/70. Cannabis has a calming effect on my brain not sure about the body though.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Before MMJ I had high blood pressure. Had to take pills to lower. Went to mmj to handle another condition and resulted in my blood pressure normalizing as well. Doc said no more pills, though I didn't tell him about mmj.

Now on a TBreak, pressure higher again.

For me, it definitely lowers my BP.

Indirectly related, ( but applicable to topic) mmj makes me lose weight. Weight loss contributes to lower BP

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
@wolf1027

Cannabis by nature drops BP.
Here is why....

As various Cannabinoids enter the blood stream, ant-inflammatory properties start going to work.
They relax all muscles, veins and arteries, allowing the blood to pass more freely, hence the drop in BP.

In turn the brain immediately recognizes this drop in BP. . And increases the heart rate to compensate. Hence rapid heartbeat after consumption.

The human body is quite amazing.

Last edited:

MyCollie

I hope it's ok to dig this year-old post up. I don't want to get in trouble but since my question is right in line I thought I would post it. & Yes, I'm definitely going to ask a few of my doctors about this.

I'm wondering if anyone else could chime in on this. My blood pressure has steadily been increasing - usually 140's/80 something but the occasionally reading over 150 and 90, etc. I suspect I'll be placed on a low dose of a blood pressure medication (something which my doctor referred to as the little red pill). I'm changing my diet... I already exercise at least 45 mins a day. It was bad before any use of cannabis and I don't think it has changed much based on readings over a good period of time.

Everyone's case is different. If you take blood pressure medication and cannabis and wouldn't mind sharing your story I would appreciate it.

StiltedLimboDancer

I experienced bp lowering effects from constant use.

I'm t1 diabetic for about 30 years now and due to that my bp levels were in the same range as yours.

Even with good glucose levels and a modern therapy the heart can be effected by diabetes in that way. But being stupid, I was smoking tobacco a long time, too. (And it made a significant difference when i quit smoking this year!)

But prior to quitting smoking I was prescribed Valsartan. And when I wasn't taking my pills constantly I realized that my more or less constant use of cannabis lowered my bp levels on its own.

My levels dropped back to the 'normal' range of about 125/75.

I never told my diabetologist and just never got a new prescription. She never asked me why. But when she will ask in the future I will talk with her about the benefits of cannabis for diabetic people. (neuro-protective properties, lowering bp, stress relief from worrying about having a chronic disease...)

During being high the bp can raise some times, though. In my experience indicas are more likely to have that effect.

TeeJay1952

Any sore teeth? An infection can raise sugar levels by 100 points. I had 2 bad one yanked and instant drop to normal.

TeeJay1952,

StiltedLimboDancer

A friend of mine is a dentist. So I get a friends-discount and my teeth are 'well maintained' ;)

But when a diabetic gets any type of infection like a flu etc. the glucose levels go on a roller coaster ride most of the time.

Side note: By "My levels dropped back to the 'normal' range of about 125/75. " I meant my blood pressure levels not the glucose.

StiltedLimboDancer,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Before MMJ I had high blood pressure. Had to take pills to lower. Went to mmj to handle another condition and resulted in my blood pressure normalizing as well. Doc said no more pills, though I didn't tell him about mmj.

Now on a TBreak, pressure higher again.

For me, it definitely lowers my BP.

Indirectly related, ( but applicable to topic) mmj makes me lose weight. Weight loss contributes to lower BP

DDave, what temp are you running your rigs at? THCv goes off @ 248F and is an appetite suppressant, but rarely covered in labs :(

looney2nz,
Reactions: DDave

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
DDave, what temp are you running your rigs at? THCv goes off @ 248F and is an appetite suppressant, but rarely covered in labs :(
@looney2nz

Run EQ or Herbalizer at 230c max. Sometimes a bit lower, depending on strain.

VapCap or Mil I am guessing around the same, judging from ABV color.

Still normal BP with no pills :rockon:

DDave,
Reactions: Squiby

Dharma_Bum

Just did a quick experiment. Some readings before my first vape of the day.

bp: 128/90 pulse: 88

1/2 bowl of sativa in a Mighty (~8 minutes) plus 2 minutes of breathing meditation later

bp: 113/78 pulse: 92

The only thing that's of note is the mild rise in heartbeat - or 'reflex tachycardia' as my cardiologist would call it. It's a response to the fall in blood pressure due to the THC and modulation of the breath.

But like they say, your mileage may vary! If you have a bp monitor, take some readings and I hope you'll see similar results.

Now back to quiet contemplation and finishing the rest of the bowl.

Namaste!

Top Bottom