1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by Nosferatu, Nov 30, 2012.

1. hibeam

hibeam alpha +

Flawed studies like the above about CHS deaths can make me turn to bro science like this that at least tries to be scientific:
    --http://www.tokecity.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-53103.html

asdf420, Demontrich and biohacker like this.
  2. chris 71

chris 71 Well-Known Member

Here is a better link about capsaicin cream and why it and the hot shower thing might help .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5758720/

I still think we cant be sure it is from the canabiniods but maybe it is . i have been wondering more and more if i sometimes experience the prodormal phase of this

hibeam and analytika like this.
  3. bara

bara Well-Known Member

Developed this 4 years ago and have stopped until now. Really need it for my depression, and it's working very well. But def still have CHS. pretty annoying disease.

I was not a heavy user by any means. Never had dabbed. Used mostly edibles during the last several months before I left the country. Came back, started vaping a bit and started shortly after. Def a very light user, but got it just the same. I'm experimenting and trying to figure out how to deep cannabis in my life, but it has been difficult thus far.

Edit: capsaicin cream on the stomach provides minor relief. I grow ghost peppers and will aggravate and then see which provides more relief tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    BornAgainSteama and Baron23 like this.
  4. BornAgainSteama

BornAgainSteama Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with CHS for a couple years but have had the condition about four years.

I can only speak from my experience so disregard what you want.

I have noticed that I have a specific type of nausea that accompanies my CHS. It has a unique feeling with urges to take hot baths. My attacks go for about 12 hours of severe hyperemesis and several have ended up in the ER. If you end up in the ER I have read benadryl and thorazine (chlorpromazine) can help (I use benadryl for CHS regularly). If you have used benadryl it is of the upmost importance to inform your ER technician of the benadryl dose you have been taking before you take thorazine. benadryl and chlorpromazine have drug interactions. Click her for more info.

After awhile I began to discover when an attack was about to happen the specific nausea is key. When or if you feel this type of nausea begin you need to stop everything you are doing.

1. Do drink fluids if at all possible
    2. Do not eat
    3. Do not use herb (your body has had enough and needs a short break)
    4. Do take some benadryl once you notice any nausea
    5. Go ahead and take a hot bath if you feel it will help prevent you from vomiting.
    6. If you have been vomiting for hours go to the ER because it is an emergency

The main thing to know is not to let the vomiting begin. Do everything it takes to not allow the vomiting cycle to begin.
    Once vomiting begins for me I am in for about 12 hours of complete hell.

I have been doing these avoidance techniques for about a year and have not had a CHS attack because I know when they are coming and I know what to do to prevent them. It all has worked out better than I would have ever thought possible. Knock on wood. It is likely I will have another event at some point in my life but I have learn how to control it for now. I still use herb all the time too while using these techniques. I just take short day or two long breaks if I feel that special CHS nausea. That's all a couple day T-break for me to avoid the nausea completely.

Good Luck to you and anyone else that has had to experience CHS. Of course results won't be the same for all people but there is some light at the end of this tunnel for you imo.

EDIT: Also this

Haloperidol, a Novel Treatment for Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.
    Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) is typically unresponsive to conventional pharmacologic antiemetics, and patients often require excessive laboratory and radiographic testing and hospital admission. We report 4 cases of CHS that failed standard emergency department therapy but improved significantly after treatment with haloperidol. Although the exact mechanism for CHS remains unclear, dysregulation at cannabinoid type 1 seems to play a role. Recent animal data demonstrate complex interactions between dopamine and cannabinoid type 1 signaling, a potential mechanism for haloperidol success in patients with CHS. Our success with haloperidol in these 4 patients warrants further investigation of haloperidol as an emergency department treatment for CHS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25393073

:myday:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    macbill, Alexis and newVaper420 like this.
  5. bara

bara Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this info. It gives me hope hearing you can still use! I'll def keep all this in mind.

Does anybody know if different cannabinoids are worse than others?

I have a theory that cbd is the worst. I have a cbc and cbg cream, and it still can push me over. But pure cbd cream is really bad. I think the cannabinoid count in cbc was higher as well.

BornAgainSteama likes this.
  6. BornAgainSteama

I think this whole thing is very new so I doubt they have been able to pin down a cannabiniod, cause, or specific origin.

What they do know is that all CHS patients have extreme nausea, hyperemesis, and an unrelenting urge to take hot baths, and last but not least a cannabis habit. Anyone with these symptoms gets the tag CHS.

They will learn more over time, but the fact cannabis is illegal on the federal level prevents needed research.

7. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

I've gotten nausea from vaping CBD.. I'd like to fuck with CBC and CBG more, CBD just doesn't seem good

8. bara

bara Well-Known Member

I don't have the shower thing, but I def have the rest.

I have been experimenting with eating ghost peppers to calm symptoms. It does help a little bit, but It can be tricky because cap can cause pain and vomiting. It also only seems to help so much. I also have hppd, so I can only smoke a small amount anyway.

It also seems that cedarwood and especially sandalwood agro my symptoms pretty badly.

Some of my experiments going forward are going to involve growing my own product to see if that reduces nausea, and experiment with smoking as compared to vaping.

I also want to comment on your protocol for chs management born. I seem to actually get worse after a couple days. It seems if I feel the chs while smoking, I should shut down but don't always. two days after is generally really bad, and the third is either a bit worse or better. by the 7th day it starts to inch towards completion of the pattern, but by that time it's my time off and I need to vape again for the sake of my sanity, unfortunately.

I am hoping that if I can abstain for few weeks i'll be able to develop a better pattern. If I complete this goal I'll see if I can get to a place like born is at.

I also want to mention I am using a very small amount. vaping like...maybe .05? It's an elbow pack into a vape.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I've posted in this thread a few times before regarding stomach issues and cannabis. Over the past 3 years or so I've had a few episodes where for weeks (or up to a month or two) any time I would vape I would get stomach pain and nausea, usually shortly after that would last through the evening into the next day. I'm not sure if it's CHS, as I never vomited, and I don't really get the urge to shower. Showers feel good, but that's about it. I've also tried that capsaicin cream which doesn't seem to do much.

Anyway, I was thinking about something. And I realize this may not pertain to those of you who have the full blown CHS symptoms (and I really feel for you guys), but my stomach issues always come about during the late fall, winter or early spring. I live in the Northern part of the US, and work your typical office job, inside all day. From October to April I get very little natural light. My most recent episode which started a week ago caused me to go into research mode again, and in several instances I saw that low vitamin D can cause digestive issues (it's actually thought to be linked to IBS). I'm wondering if cannabis can exacerbate a low vitamin D issue? I am currently on a break, and have started to take vitamin D supplements (along with E, B complex, and magnesium which I've read could be helpful to any cannabis user) and I've noticed my mood and energy have greatly increased in just a few days.

So, I know this may not pertain to many of you, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. For those of you suffering have you had your Vit D levels checked recently?

Another thought of mine has been the presence of candida or other fungus/parasites. I recently got super sick from eating at Chipoltle, and had to be put on antibiotics after non stop diarrhea (which eventually turned bloody) for a week. Now I know I'm expressing symptoms of candida, which is known to occur after heavy use of antibiotics (I was on two drugs for two weeks). Shortly after the antibiotic course I started having stomach issues when vaping. Not sure if it's a coincidence or what. I don't know if there is a link between messed up gut microbiome and cannabis stomach problems, but I'm trying to figure that out, and fix myself at the same time.

Again, I understand this may not be helpful to those who have full blown CHS, and I don't think I really do, but cannabis does give me stomach issues from time to time. Just wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully we all can continue to learn.

10. BornAgainSteama

If you do not experience intense protracted vomiting, hyperemisis, and the hot bath compulsion then you don't yet have CHS.

The important thing to remember about CHS is to do everything you can to not begin vomiting. Once the vomiting cycle begins it is not likely to stop for a very long time and it is extremely intense. You will feel like dying.

Another problem is that because cannabis is illegal federally things like CHS are difficult to research in scientific studies with control groups and the like. All we have is pretty much is emergency room anecdotal evidence. We can't truly study CHS without legal access cannabis. Sad.

:nod:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    Alexis likes this.
  11. Garysfriend

Garysfriend Well-Known Member

BornAgainSteama, I hear ya. I don't think I have CHS but cannabis does bother my stomach, usually an hour after vaping and into the next morning. 3rd time about 2 years. It's been a while since I've read through this entire thread but I believe there were a few others who were similar to me, or maybe didn't have as severe symptoms.

There are a few theories out there on what's causing this but nobody really knows for sure. My thoughts, at least for maybe a few of the people out there, is that it could be a vitamin deficiency, or possible bad gut bugs. While it may not be the most credible source, I recently read a Reddit post where some guy was diagnosed with CHS at the hospital, only to find out later he had a stomach parasite, that would just irritate his gut when he smoked. They got rid of the parasite and he was good.

For me, I tend to develop symptoms when I've done something I know is not good for my overall digestive health, in this case antibiotic use.. or in the late fall, winter or early spring when I get little natural Vitamin D. This has never happened in the summer, or when I know my digestive health is very good.

So I just wanted to share my thoughts, see if that helps connect the dots for someone else. Unless it's a neem oil poisoning situation, I tend to think CHS is a symptom of an overall larger issue in the body. It just takes cannabis to bring those symptoms out. But I'm just some guy on the internet.

hibeam and BornAgainSteama like this.
  12. BornAgainSteama

I can tell you 100% it is not a vitamin deficiency or a gut crazy tapeworm...LMAO! Very funny!

I think you are right that there is something that is causing the CHS reaction somewhere in the body or even in the brain because of the vomiting evidence. It has something to do with the inability for a person to shutdown the vomiting cycle controlled in the brain so extreme vomiting goes on for hours and hours.

CHS is not a stomach ache, CHS is truly a hell on earth. It gives me chills just recalling the last time it kicked my ass. Very intense and scary shit no doubt about it.

There is no doubt a serious attack of CHS could kill a person. Vomiting for up to twelve hours can easily kill a person. People can die from dehydration when they intensely vomit for that amount of time.

:nod:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors