Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

Jimmy1018

That nausea can be hell. Hope it feels better soon. Try just vaping instead of smoking. I cut way down on smoking and do more dabs and use my herb vapes and thankfully the only time I wake up feeling nauseous is when I have been around friends smoking.
Do you think smoking the actual flower (nugs) has a bigger impact on symptoms? I'm legit ready to never ingest again. That nausea was killer man.

Jimmy1018,

slozukimc

Do you think smoking the actual flower (nugs) has a bigger impact on symptoms? I'm legit ready to never ingest again. That nausea was killer man.
I can't say for everyone but for me the byproducts of combustion is what brings on the terrible nausea when waking. If I smoke with friends one day I can feel it coming on the very next morning. Probably just my lungs being pissed off from too much abuse.

slozukimc,

Krazy

One of my sisters has classic bad CHS. Depending on strain a little queasy to sea sick vomiting; within <5 minutes of smoking. She has never vaped. Edibles give her no problem at all.

Krazy,

VamSogel

I want to make this post to tell my story with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

I have smoked weed for almost 2 years now (started smoking regularly around January 2016). My friends and I started smoking daily through a bong and joints/blunts. This continued through summer of 2016. During summer 2016, my friends and I smoked heavily (I would guess I was smoking around an 8th of weed per week). We also were taking chops (weed and tobacco) consistently. I never experienced any negative side effects from smoking until about august of 2016. I was just moving into the dorms for my first year of college when I woke up one morning feeling nauseas. I started to throw up and developed a very sharp, constant pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away. I was vomiting uncontrollably and the pain in my abdomen was unbearable. I could not stop throwing up and eventually was in so much pain that my parents had to take me to the ER. I could not keep any liquids or food down so I was very dehydrated and in pain. The doctors ran many tests (blood, urine, CT scans) but everything showed that I was healthy. I am a very healthy person and have never had any prior medical conditions/history. I am about 5’11 165 lbs. They suggested that I had Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome, something I had never heard about. I read up about CHS and concluded that it was ridiculous I could have such a thing considering that weed had always been super beneficial and something that I could count on to relax myself. It was also a very social thing amongst my friend group. Thus, my stubborn self continued to consume marijuana pretty much daily, usually smoking a joint or two at night. At this time I was in the dorms for college and did not have access to a bong, so I would only smoke bong if I was at a friends house. My parents obviously were very concerned and seemed to think that I did actually have CHS, but the doctors could not officially “diagnose” me with it. It was not until about 2 months later when one night, I had the same nausea from the start of school. I began to throw up again and the excruciating pain returned. Having experienced this before, I attempted to “tough it out”. I stayed up all night in my dorm bathroom, constantly taking hot baths to try and subside the pain. Eventually the morning came and I could not bear it anymore, I was also so dehydrated that I thought I would pass out. I returned to the ER and the same thing happened again. The doctors gave me some anti-nausea medicine, fluids, and eventually painkillers to stop the stomach pain. My parents were understandably pissed, knowing that I had still been smoking. again the doctors said they thought it was CHS and said I needed to stop smoking. (P.S. after both visits to the ER I generally felt fine the next couple days and did not have recurring symptoms besides my stomach being weak from throwing up so much) Once again, I did not want to give up smoking so I continued again. I smoked daily for about 11months with no visit to the hospital and no signs of CHS. Thinking I was in the clear, I had another incident very recently, this time being worse. I had to visit the ER 3 days in a row, each morning repeating the same cycle of vomiting, pain, etc. As of now, I have stopped smoking because I have finally realized that CHS is real and unfortunately I have developed it. Along with the excruciating pain, going to the ER every so often is not something I want to be doing.

It has been about 5 days since my last ER visit and I have not smoked weed since then, nor do I plan on starting. But, it kills me to think that weed will forever be something I must abstain from. Speaking to any of you who have CHS, is there any chance I will be able to consume marijuana every so often, maybe a joint or bong hit every week or two? I have accepted the possibility that I will never be able to smoke weed again, but I also was curious to try using only CBD? I have heard of the benefits of CBD and I think it would be something very helpful to me. Am I able to consume strictly CBD without instigating another hyperemesis breakout? I am worried to try anything because I really do not want to experience it again. If you have any insight - please respond with your experience with CHS. Thanks

VamSogel,

little maggie

I want to make this post to tell my story with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

I have smoked weed for almost 2 years now (started smoking regularly around January 2016). My friends and I started smoking daily through a bong and joints/blunts. This continued through summer of 2016. During summer 2016, my friends and I smoked heavily (I would guess I was smoking around an 8th of weed per week). We also were taking chops (weed and tobacco) consistently. I never experienced any negative side effects from smoking until about august of 2016. I was just moving into the dorms for my first year of college when I woke up one morning feeling nauseas. I started to throw up and developed a very sharp, constant pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away. I was vomiting uncontrollably and the pain in my abdomen was unbearable. I could not stop throwing up and eventually was in so much pain that my parents had to take me to the ER. I could not keep any liquids or food down so I was very dehydrated and in pain. The doctors ran many tests (blood, urine, CT scans) but everything showed that I was healthy. I am a very healthy person and have never had any prior medical conditions/history. I am about 5’11 165 lbs. They suggested that I had Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome, something I had never heard about. I read up about CHS and concluded that it was ridiculous I could have such a thing considering that weed had always been super beneficial and something that I could count on to relax myself. It was also a very social thing amongst my friend group. Thus, my stubborn self continued to consume marijuana pretty much daily, usually smoking a joint or two at night. At this time I was in the dorms for college and did not have access to a bong, so I would only smoke bong if I was at a friends house. My parents obviously were very concerned and seemed to think that I did actually have CHS, but the doctors could not officially “diagnose” me with it. It was not until about 2 months later when one night, I had the same nausea from the start of school. I began to throw up again and the excruciating pain returned. Having experienced this before, I attempted to “tough it out”. I stayed up all night in my dorm bathroom, constantly taking hot baths to try and subside the pain. Eventually the morning came and I could not bear it anymore, I was also so dehydrated that I thought I would pass out. I returned to the ER and the same thing happened again. The doctors gave me some anti-nausea medicine, fluids, and eventually painkillers to stop the stomach pain. My parents were understandably pissed, knowing that I had still been smoking. again the doctors said they thought it was CHS and said I needed to stop smoking. (P.S. after both visits to the ER I generally felt fine the next couple days and did not have recurring symptoms besides my stomach being weak from throwing up so much) Once again, I did not want to give up smoking so I continued again. I smoked daily for about 11months with no visit to the hospital and no signs of CHS. Thinking I was in the clear, I had another incident very recently, this time being worse. I had to visit the ER 3 days in a row, each morning repeating the same cycle of vomiting, pain, etc. As of now, I have stopped smoking because I have finally realized that CHS is real and unfortunately I have developed it. Along with the excruciating pain, going to the ER every so often is not something I want to be doing.

It has been about 5 days since my last ER visit and I have not smoked weed since then, nor do I plan on starting. But, it kills me to think that weed will forever be something I must abstain from. Speaking to any of you who have CHS, is there any chance I will be able to consume marijuana every so often, maybe a joint or bong hit every week or two? I have accepted the possibility that I will never be able to smoke weed again, but I also was curious to try using only CBD? I have heard of the benefits of CBD and I think it would be something very helpful to me. Am I able to consume strictly CBD without instigating another hyperemesis breakout? I am worried to try anything because I really do not want to experience it again. If you have any insight - please respond with your experience with CHS. Thanks
Maybe I'm missing it but it seems like you're talking about joints and bongs not vaping. Even when considering the possibility of returning to smoking on rare occasions you're referring to bongs and joints. Is it the cannabis or combustion that's causing your problems? I imagine that it's different for everyone who has it because I know some here have developed it even though they are vaping and not combusting. Have you ever tried a period of only vaping? Or just edibles?
I found that one specific strain causes the symptoms in me but that's easy to avoid.

little maggie,
Reactions: Squiby

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Maybe I'm missing it but it seems like you're talking about joints and bongs not vaping. Even when considering the possibility of returning to smoking on rare occasions you're referring to bongs and joints. Is it the cannabis or combustion that's causing your problems? I imagine that it's different for everyone who has it because I know some here have developed it even though they are vaping and not combusting. Have you ever tried a period of only vaping? Or just edibles?
I found that one specific strain causes the symptoms in me but that's easy to avoid.
Thread's got some older FC heads that don't smoke that had the same thing happen :shrug:

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Squiby

Zow237

I have a terrible issue with weed right now. I have been smoking and vaping for more than 10 years. Moved to Colorado and have been vaping every day for 9 months. I first was getting these weird dizzy spells when I'd get high.... then now almost every time I get this horrid stomach pain. Something I can't describe other than a burning/ twisting feeling and it just feels like my abdominals just tighten up like crazy. Idk what the fuck is going on other than weed it hurting my stomach and if I don't vape I'm fine. I've tried lower temps different devices and nothing. Gah it's so shitty. I guess it's time to give it up :(
Idk if incorporating a water piece into my life has had anything to do with the stomach strain...

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Have you ever gone back to your hometown or wherever you were before and vaped that weed? I wonder if it's not something to do with the weed... Have you also tried without a water piece if you did start using one?

I don't really have any advice or help, unfortunately. You gotta look out for #1, and #1 is you. Sometimes we have to do stuff that we really don't want to do in order to be better off in the end.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Zow237

Zow237

Have you ever gone back to your hometown or wherever you were before and vaped that weed? I wonder if it's not something to do with the weed... Have you also tried without a water piece if you did start using one?

I don't really have any advice or help, unfortunately. You gotta look out for #1, and #1 is you. Sometimes we have to do stuff that we really don't want to do in order to be better off in the end.

I'm going to keep experimenting. I'll be back in my home town next month and see if there is an issue there. I did use my vapcap m and had the same problem. I used my fp and I don't think I had the problem though. Gs almost every time. I'm wondering if really open airflow is not a good thing for me. Idk haha. I'm going to keep trying some things. But it's def looking like my body is telling me something, sucks but shit I can't live this forever. Just not sustainable

Zow237,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I'm going to keep experimenting. I'll be back in my home town next month and see if there is an issue there. I did use my vapcap m and had the same problem. I used my fp and I don't think I had the problem though. Gs almost every time. I'm wondering if really open airflow is not a good thing for me. Idk haha. I'm going to keep trying some things. But it's def looking like my body is telling me something, sucks but shit I can't live this forever. Just not sustainable

Do you think it’s an issue with the quality of marijuana in Colorado? Meaning way more potent. Have you tried vaping less? Like 1 or 2 hits. Does the pain come on immediate? Etc.

Zow237

Do you think it’s an issue with the quality of marijuana in Colorado? Meaning way more potent. Have you tried vaping less? Like 1 or 2 hits. Does the pain come on immediate? Etc.

I've tried doing one bowl. I have some stuff over 20 percent and stuff under. Idk if it's a potency issue... pain comes on immediately and will stick around for a few hours. I've even taken a small hit froma. A vap cap and it happened. I've thought about potency being a problem. I'm going to get some high cbd strains and low thc strains to see if that makes a difference. Also going to have to take a break I think. Mayb just a toxic overload. Was also thinking that I take log draws and tend to draw my stomach in, instead ignore expanding he stomach on inhale. So mayb I'm just tensing up real bad with the way I'm inhaling

Last edited:

C No Ego

I've tried doing one bowl. I have some stuff over 20 percent and stuff under. Idk if it's a potency issue... pain comes on immediately and will stick around for a few hours. I've even taken a small hit froma. A vap cap and it happened. I've thought about potency being a problem. I'm going to get some high cbd strains and low thc strains to see if that makes a difference. Also going to have to take a break I think. Mayb just a toxic overload. Was also thinking that I take log draws and tend to draw my stomach in, instead ignore expanding he stomach on inhale. So mayb I'm just tensing up real bad with the way I'm inhaling
try some deep breathing exercises in a clean environment... the hit and hold is not normal breathing so it has some effects on us especially if done more and more over time... you could have coughed at one point or something and caused the issue... have you tried other methods of consumption? like eating it or tincture etc? if you think you might be allergic to cannabis here is a test to determine... break a bud in two and rub gently on your inner wrist ( pressure point) and then wait up to 15 minutes... if the area turns red and inflamed you are allergic... I'm not sure how allergic reaction shows with the act of inhaling the compounds... could show up as pain in the gut

C No Ego,

Zow237

@C No Ego thNks! I literally started doing some deep belly box breathing and some others breathing techniques. That helped tremendously. I only consumed small amount and didn't use anything that will take in a lot of air for a strong pull. Focused on keeping the belly expanded instead of contractin while taking a hit. The breathing actually helped relieve the stress in my entire body basically. So I'm assuming that because I've continued to do this for so long that I developed some dysfunctions that need to be adddressed and rested. I'm going to try some edibles and see if that does anything. At this point it's not the weed but the action. I noticed the other night when I'm high I tend to tighten my abdominals abnormally. So just focusing on that right own. N e time I touch weed and touch my eyes, my eyes itch like crazy. Could that be an allergic response?

Zow237,
Reactions: C No Ego

C No Ego

@C No Ego thNks! I literally started doing some deep belly box breathing and some others breathing techniques. That helped tremendously. I only consumed small amount and didn't use anything that will take in a lot of air for a strong pull. Focused on keeping the belly expanded instead of contractin while taking a hit. The breathing actually helped relieve the stress in my entire body basically. So I'm assuming that because I've continued to do this for so long that I developed some dysfunctions that need to be adddressed and rested. I'm going to try some edibles and see if that does anything. At this point it's not the weed but the action. I noticed the other night when I'm high I tend to tighten my abdominals abnormally. So just focusing on that right own. N e time I touch weed and touch my eyes, my eyes itch like crazy. Could that be an allergic response?

our most unconscious take for granted act is breathing... being aware of it puts you in the one % lol ... I notice after a vape hit my breathing changes some too just from the minor throat irritation and basically wanting to taste the vapor longer when the session starts and terps are fresh.. I've noticed sometimes not vape related but when I inhale my chest is going the opposite direction, those are those short unhealthy breaths... that's my gauge basically to know when I'm deeper breathing or not= cities and fumes = Fuck That. Fumes to Funk does not go well with conscious breathing exercises @ all... I don't think that is the issue in your eye... if you chew a stem you will notice it is irritant some by that tingly sensation... that is probably whats bothering your eye IMO...

C No Ego,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Hi all. It's been a long time since I've been here and I'm sorry to necro this thread. But as I have been a pretty vocal proponent of CHS for a long time, and have had some recent important developments in my life - I felt it was important to post about my experiences in the last few years.

I've been suffering from what my doctors called Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome for easily 6 years at this point, with no real solution or relief provided by my doctors of traditional medicine. I've quit pot for a very long time (part of the reason I had to abstain from frequenting here) without any real effects being presented.

Out of desperation, I visited a natropathic doctor (I use that term loosely - I've been to the "woo-woo" natropaths before and this doctor is not like that) who performed a few simple tests on my blood and stool to identify what is going on in my body. The results were both extremely informative and rather shocking. I've gone almost half a decade with an undiagnosed bacterial infection in my gut. In my case, this is an overgrowth of yeast, which is interacting with the sugars and carbohydrates that I eat to produce alcohol within my gut. The symptoms that this caused, coupled with my admitted use of pot, led my traditional doctors to take the path of least resistance and throw their hands up, saying I was just suffering from CHS.

The recovery process hasn't been easy - it's required me to completely abstain from consuming foods with yeast (no beer or bread), corn, majority of sugars (especially processed ones) and the only alcohol I can drink is Gin. But the drastic change in my health has been obvious. I would gladly eat dirt for the rest of my life if it meant I kept feeling like this. And the biggest thing is that my mental acuity has gone back to the way I remembered it being. I have been in a bad state these last few years.

Now - don't get me wrong here; I'm not saying that if you have suffered from CHS that you have exactly what I have. But at the same time, I don't have faith that people who admit to regularly consuming cannabis are getting proper medical care from their traditional doctors. The tests that identified my issue were what is known as an "IGG Blood Test" and a comprehensive stool analysis. If your doctor is not willing to do these, then you need to find a new doctor, stat.

All together, those tests cost me about 500$ dollars (not covered under Canadian medial care of course) but provide you and your doctor with a precise image of exactly what is happening within your GI tract. This has been invaluable to me and I'd recommend it to anyone that has been suffering from general gut malaise, chronic IBS-style symptoms and what doctors are calling CHS. It may highlight other issues that are affecting you.

In addition to my diet, the other thing that has been helping me so much is an over the counter supplement called GABA. GABA is one of the chemicals naturally produced by the brain as a neurotransmitter, and it's main role is in inhibiting neuronal excitability - aka anxiety. This thing is literally a chill pill, but unlike the benzodiazepiene based medications I've been prescribed over the years, there is no addictive quality to it, nor does it have any interactions with other medications or alcohol. What this supplement has done for me is akin to the relief I get from regularly consuming cannabis, and I would recommend asking your doctor about it if you have regular anxiety issues.

Anyways, I don't really know how to end this except to say that I am feeling better than I have felt in many years, and it is all due to seeking a second opinion from a different track of medicinal care. Food intolerance and food allergies are becoming epidemic among the common person, and I would not trust a diagnosis of CHS without first completely eliminating that as a possibility.

I truly hope that everyone suffering from this condition can find the same relief that I have through diet and supplements. Best of luck to you all.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hi all. It's been a long time since I've been here and I'm sorry to necro this thread. But as I have been a pretty vocal proponent of CHS for a long time, and have had some recent important developments in my life - I felt it was important to post about my experiences in the last few years.

I've been suffering from what my doctors called Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome for easily 6 years at this point, with no real solution or relief provided by my doctors of traditional medicine. I've quit pot for a very long time (part of the reason I had to abstain from frequenting here) without any real effects being presented.

Out of desperation, I visited a natropathic doctor (I use that term loosely - I've been to the "woo-woo" natropaths before and this doctor is not like that) who performed a few simple tests on my blood and stool to identify what is going on in my body. The results were both extremely informative and rather shocking. I've gone almost half a decade with an undiagnosed bacterial infection in my gut. In my case, this is an overgrowth of yeast, which is interacting with the sugars and carbohydrates that I eat to produce alcohol within my gut. The symptoms that this caused, coupled with my admitted use of pot, led my traditional doctors to take the path of least resistance and throw their hands up, saying I was just suffering from CHS.

The recovery process hasn't been easy - it's required me to completely abstain from consuming foods with yeast (no beer or bread), corn, majority of sugars (especially processed ones) and the only alcohol I can drink is Gin. But the drastic change in my health has been obvious. I would gladly eat dirt for the rest of my life if it meant I kept feeling like this. And the biggest thing is that my mental acuity has gone back to the way I remembered it being. I have been in a bad state these last few years.

Now - don't get me wrong here; I'm not saying that if you have suffered from CHS that you have exactly what I have. But at the same time, I don't have faith that people who admit to regularly consuming cannabis are getting proper medical care from their traditional doctors. The tests that identified my issue were what is known as an "IGG Blood Test" and a comprehensive stool analysis. If your doctor is not willing to do these, then you need to find a new doctor, stat.

All together, those tests cost me about 500$ dollars (not covered under Canadian medial care of course) but provide you and your doctor with a precise image of exactly what is happening within your GI tract. This has been invaluable to me and I'd recommend it to anyone that has been suffering from general gut malaise, chronic IBS-style symptoms and what doctors are calling CHS. It may highlight other issues that are affecting you.

In addition to my diet, the other thing that has been helping me so much is an over the counter supplement called GABA. GABA is one of the chemicals naturally produced by the brain as a neurotransmitter, and it's main role is in inhibiting neuronal excitability - aka anxiety. This thing is literally a chill pill, but unlike the benzodiazepiene based medications I've been prescribed over the years, there is no addictive quality to it, nor does it have any interactions with other medications or alcohol. What this supplement has done for me is akin to the relief I get from regularly consuming cannabis, and I would recommend asking your doctor about it if you have regular anxiety issues.

Anyways, I don't really know how to end this except to say that I am feeling better than I have felt in many years, and it is all due to seeking a second opinion from a different track of medicinal care. Food intolerance and food allergies are becoming epidemic among the common person, and I would not trust a diagnosis of CHS without first completely eliminating that as a possibility.

I truly hope that everyone suffering from this condition can find the same relief that I have through diet and supplements. Best of luck to you all.

Candida is very common. The naturopaths I've studied claim most people have it.

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
If you have CHS, combustion of cannibis creats toxic compounds causing CHS. Heating wax and Dab devices beyond 450F causes combustion of your substance. Combustion is about the temperature, not necessarily the flame.

Edibles and vaping below 430F do not produce combustion compounds.

Diet sleep stress nutrition etc can be triggers for an attack, but the bad boy causing the problem is combustion of pot.

You don’t have to give up pot, rather you should eat or vap it. Don’t go back to smoking. Your body’s sensitivity to the toxic combustion compounds increases. The folks that say a few tokes starts CHS back up are the real deal. Hot showers are the real deal.

Take time to read my previous posts. I will not bother to defend the obvious fact that combustion causes CHS. I just had to come back here to keep people on point. Fuck Combustion, don’t smoke pot, you should eat or vape it instead.

Glass004,
Reactions: grokit

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Heating wax and Dab devices beyond 450F causes combustion of your substance. Combustion is about the temperature, not necessarily the flame.

That's just not true. Have you ever seen how high quality hash acts when kissed by a flame? It wants to vaporize, not burn. It's the plant material which has an affinity for combustion. Watch how the hash resists combustion but as soon as the flame touches that little patch of flower it turns to ash.

Zow237

olivianewtonjohn

https://www.google.com/amp/s/merryjane.com/amp/the-curious-case-of-cannnabis-hyperemesis-syndrome

Azadirachtin seems to be the culprit. I've been dealing with some issues I never dealt with still since I came to a legal state. I'm very aware of this poison now. I picked up some herb today and that was the first ingredient, now I'm not sure if I use it or just get rid of it. This stuff worries me for sure

If you're near L'eagle maybe give them a try, supposed to be organic and slow aged, no pesticides

olivianewtonjohn,
Top Bottom