Cannabinoid anti-inflammatory pathway and bone healing

Khantagious

I recently fractured a bone in my thumb, and was told by the doctor to avoid taking anti-inflammatory medication in order to allow the bone to heal properly. In doing a bit of research, this is what I've found:

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and naproxen work by inhibiting cyclo-oxygenase (COX)-2, which blocks the production of hormones called prostaglandins that are important for bone healing. I know that cannabis is considered to have anti-inflammatory properties, but I don't know whether the biochemical pathway is the same as it is for NSAIDs, and therefore whether I should avoid partaking until my bone is healed.

I know that there was some research from last year by a group in Israel indicating that CBD specifically may actually promote the healing of bones, but it seems that the follow up from that study was a lot of skepticism as to whether or not it is valid. I'm not really interested in debating the merits of that research; lets must assume that it may or may not be valid and leave that to another thread.

What I AM interested in knowing is whether anyone understands the anti-inflammatory pathway of cannabis, and whether it has the same potentially negative consequences for bone healing as NSAIDs do.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Squiby

I can't answer your question with any certainty. However, I have read articles that state that both CBD and THCV stimulate bone growth and may help heal fractures and hold off osteoporosis progression.

Who knows? Cannabinoids may well work in an opposite way to NSAIDs.

EDIT: Found this. It mentions that CBD blocks the enzymes that breakdown the Fatty acid amines that facilitate bone production.

http://herb.co/2016/03/06/no-bones-cannabis-may-combat-bone-diseases/

Last edited:
Top Bottom