Cannabidiol's mechanism of action: CBD and Serotonin

herbivore21

So it has long been contended that cannabis is useful in the treatment in stress, anxiety and depression.

We often discuss the effects of cannabinoids as being the key to the cannabinoid receptor locks, however, according to this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697769/) and many others, CBD has been discovered to in fact effect stress responses through its action on the serotonin receptor: 5-HT1a

In another study (which I might look for again later), I have also read that this serotonergic action is in fact the biochemical explanation for CBD's effect of attenuating some of the effects of THC. Interestingly, this research suggested that CBD does not interfere to stop THC's binding with cannabinoid receptors, but rather, it exercises its own effects through the serotonin route which happen to counterbalance some of the effects of THC.

There is much more to get from the results of this study I'm sure, but I wanted to share this article as it appears to be available in full :)

Enjoy!

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Good post. I've seen so much about CBD and anxiety, and my own experiences confirm much of the research. It's incredibly effective (more so than Valium for me) for it's impact level (nill, in fact it's healthy to intake CBD for so many other reasons). Compare that to even a mild benzo which can, and does for me, cause very unpleasant side effects with extended usage.

PubMed is a goddamn treasure trove of gold information about this plant and it's components.

I used it to bury a prohibitionist I was in a heated discussion with on another site when he kept repeating the horseshit talking point of 'there's not enough research'.
The reality, of course, is there is far more research on cannabis than the vast majority of FDA approved pharmaceuticals.

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
This is really significant. Thank you for sharing this.

Edit: I'm sitting here contemplating the fact that we only discovered the most rudimentary understsnding of the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system less than ten years ago!

In contrast, medical research into the opium poppy has about a hundred year head start! Just think about all the amazing things science has learned about how our bodies work by studying the beneficial properties of that plant.

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

So it has long been contended that cannabis is useful in the treatment in stress, anxiety and depression.

We often discuss the effects of cannabinoids as being the key to the cannabinoid receptor locks, however, according to this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697769/) and many others, CBD has been discovered to in fact effect stress responses through its action on the serotonin receptor: 5-HT1a

In another study (which I might look for again later), I have also read that this serotonergic action is in fact the biochemical explanation for CBD's effect of attenuating some of the effects of THC. Interestingly, this research suggested that CBD does not interfere to stop THC's binding with cannabinoid receptors, but rather, it exercises its own effects through the serotonin route which happen to counterbalance some of the effects of THC.

There is much more to get from the results of this study I'm sure, but I wanted to share this article as it appears to be available in full :)

Enjoy!
Dude! I love science and I love MJ. Please keep posting interesting studies like this

olivianewtonjohn,
Reactions: Snappo

herbivore21

Good post. I've seen so much about CBD and anxiety, and my own experiences confirm much of the research. It's incredibly effective (more so than Valium for me) for it's impact level (nill, in fact it's healthy to intake CBD for so many other reasons). Compare that to even a mild benzo which can, and does for me, cause very unpleasant side effects with extended usage.

PubMed is a goddamn treasure trove of gold information about this plant and it's components.

I used it to bury a prohibitionist I was in a heated discussion with on another site when he kept repeating the horseshit talking point of 'there's not enough research'.
The reality, of course, is there is far more research on cannabis than the vast majority of FDA approved pharmaceuticals.

PubMed is great brother! As a university academic I obviously have access to pretty much all the journals out there, but I try to find research that is freely available to share here so that all can benefit from a read :)

This knowledge (and your recent experiences :) ) have me absolutely stoked to be able to see what CBD can do for my related symptoms! :D

This is really significant. Thank you for sharing this.

Edit: I'm sitting here contemplating the fact that we only discovered the most rudimentary understsnding of the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system less than ten years ago!

In contrast, medical research into the opium poppy has about a hundred year head start! Just think about all the amazing things science has learned about how our bodies work by studying the beneficial properties of that plant.

It is my pleasure my friend, I will make sure to share more where I can :)

The most thrilling thing about legalization (especially medical) happening around the world is that now we can crank research into cannabis into overdrive. UN Conventions have left us in the dark on too much for too long!

Dude! I love science and I love MJ. Please keep posting interesting studies like this

Will do, and glad that you have enjoyed the read! :)

Top Bottom