Canna creme brulee and/or sous vide canna creme brulee?

MinnBobber

anybody ever try making canna creme brulee or any kind of canna-custardy treat?

I'm also considering doing it with my sous vide water cooker as "they say" sous vide really
works great for "plain" creme brulee--- but I'm a little bit of a doubter.

It takes heavy cream SO could simmer my hydratube in the cream to extract and then make the creme brulee. The tube has some really golden goo as I use hemp filters so it is really pure, without all those nasty ABV micro dust particles. It has the potential to make a special treat.

Any creme brulee lovers out there?

Hey there - I’ve never done this with 420 but you shouldn’t doubt sous vide for this. I make SV cheesecake in mason jars all the time and most people think they’re among the best they’ve ever eaten. Give it a shot.

MinnBobber

Thanks. With sous vide for custard or cheescake, do you screw the lids down tight? You must as they are submerged,correct?

It seems like that would build pressure inside the sealed jar as it is heated, but maybe ok cuz the expansion is minimal.

And I even have a new kitchen torch to finish them with :)

MinnBobber,
Thanks. With sous vide for custard or cheescake, do you screw the lids down tight? You must as they are submerged,correct?

It seems like that would build pressure inside the sealed jar as it is heated, but maybe ok cuz the expansion is minimal.

And I even have a new kitchen torch to finish them with :)

Finger tight. This is the crucial skill you must master. Too loose, water leaks. Too tight, boom/crack from steam pressure.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-quickest-simplest-way-to-make-bomb-cheesecake

Directions on tech (lol - fingertip tech) here.

Do you have a searzall? That’s the next frontier.

scalescliffs,
Reactions: MinnBobber

MinnBobber

Awesome. I am planning to extract some heavy cream tomorrow with sous vide. Maybe I'll give the Creme Brulee a try.

Thanks for the report.
To clarify, I extracted with a stovetop DIY double boiler setup: saucepan with 1/3 full water , then a 2 cup aluminum measuring cup with heavy cream AND the golden gooey hydratube getting heat soaked to 180 F. Closely monitor the cooking water with a thermometer to be around 180 F. You certainly could do with sous vide, entire item soaked in cream.
I didn't want cream all over my glass hydratube so my upright technique allowed "creaming only the areas with golden goo"....

Golden cream was superb!

Sous vide (SV) was used for my first ever SV creme brulee. Definitely do it again, although just plain creme brulee until hydratube gets coated again. Super super smooth. Super super creamy. The cannabis goo with the tiny vanilla extract actually gave a great secondary taste to it....yum, yum, yum

NOTE: all of this hydratube extract goo had been filtered upstream with degummed hemp fiber. This was some really golden goo without that nasty microdust ABV and bigger than microdust too :(

Effects of this cream are really nice. Today, with my last creme brulee, I truly thought---nothing/nada/zilch, was it really that intense yesterday?
Then......after a really long waiting period, it finally hit like a cannabis train. Today, it was eaten shortly after a late lunch meal so that probably slowed down the liftoff, but liftoff did arrive....

virtualpurple

@MinnBobber when you say it was filtered upstream with hemp fiber can you clarify the setup? Are you using some sort of drop down adapter?

If you have a pic handy that would be great. Selfishly I want to see how that reclaim in the bubbler looked!

I am a big fan of the sous vide and I started a thread some years back on using sous vide with cannabis.

I have since also become a big fan of the instant pot for our uses. The model I have does allow for sous vide cooking minus the air circulation (and definitely not as accurate as my Anova, but good enough for my current needs) and it allows for a fast decarb of bud if using flower.

MinnBobber

@virtualpurple I am on vacation with little access so pics later like next weekend. I have hemp fiber which keeps 99% of ABV dust out of reclaim. It is purer and much better

MinnBobber,

MinnBobber

@MinnBobber when you say it was filtered upstream with hemp fiber can you clarify the setup? Are you using some sort of drop down adapter?

If you have a pic handy that would be great. Selfishly I want to see how that reclaim in the bubbler looked!

Hi, no pics of bubbler goo, sorry.
I use a miniVAP Flexicone module in many vapes (miniVAP of course, Herbalizer, Mighty).
It allows an easy and quick addition of degummed hemp fiber filter in the lid.
Picture below. I use a much thinner filter now as it can be very thin:
Wire basket, then screen, hemp filter, optional small screen to keep filter in place, and then the silicone
lid. It all snaps into a one piece module

ytdj7RQ.jpg

Top of pic: assembled Flexi and rimmed basket
yf7aqS4.jpg

In other vapes, you just need to be creative to find a spot for hemp filter IF you want to filter out the micro dust ABV that normally gets pulled along!

MinnBobber,
Just to report back, this works great for extracting into cream. I decarb'd dry for 1 hour then added the heavy cream, I have tolerance problems so I used 1/2 cup for 1/2 oz of bud.

It does not seem to works as well as coconut oil as my doses were higher with cream than oil. However, it definitely worked and made the most incredible chocolate ice cream.

The toughest part is getting the cream to stay in the bag while you vacuum seal it. Generally, the cream wants to suck up into the vacuum. Just add enough cream to soak the weed real good and then 'pulse' the vacuum.

As for me, I will never go back to oven decarb. We know too much about the importance of maintaining the terpene profiles, especially in edibles. And, Sous Vide is the only way to maintain terps.

Just say no to oven decarb'ing.

LOL

Just to report back, this works great for extracting into cream. I decarb'd dry for 1 hour then added the heavy cream, I have tolerance problems so I used 1/2 cup for 1/2 oz of bud.

It does not seem to works as well as coconut oil as my doses were higher with cream than oil. However, it definitely worked and made the most incredible chocolate ice cream.

The toughest part is getting the cream to stay in the bag while you vacuum seal it. Generally, the cream wants to suck up into the vacuum. Just add enough cream to soak the weed real good and then 'pulse' the vacuum.

As for me, I will never go back to oven decarb. We know too much about the importance of maintaining the terpene profiles, especially in edibles. And, Sous Vide is the only way to maintain terps.

Just say no to oven decarb'ing.

LOL

Cut your bag EXTRA long and hang most of it over the counter edge, pinch it with your body - try googling ‘wet vac seal without chamber sealer’ — I’d do it like I do wet chicken/beef marinades.

From reddit:

Mine is a typical style vacuum sealer. It has a moist food setting, but really that just makes it start sealing at a lower level of vacuum. If the food is juicy, it's still too much vacuum, and it will pull liquid into the sealer.

So I set it to moist, clamp the bag into the machine, and then hang the bag down off the counter. This way gravity helps hold the liquid at the bottom of the bag, away from the sealer. I watch the bag while it vacuums. As soon as I see the liquid start moving up towards the sealer, I cancel the vacuum, and hit the manual-seal button.

This isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me. Sometimes I'll let it draw too much vacuum, and a little liquid gets pulled into the sealer. To be safe, I'll typically then wipe any liquid off of the inside of the bag film above the first seal, and I'll manually make a second seal, as a backup. But I usually do 2 seals anyhow on my bags, I figure it's cheap insurance, and it only takes a few seconds.”

Good idea about the double seal. My sealer has a pulse button so I can control the amount of vacuum and, to some extent, the liquid problem.

Also, molybdenum magnets work great for holding the bag to the bottom of the pot so it doesn't float.

Any way you look at it, sous vide is here to stay for me.

Good idea about the double seal. My sealer has a pulse button so I can control the amount of vacuum and, to some extent, the liquid problem.

Also, molybdenum magnets work great for holding the bag to the bottom of the pot so it doesn't float.

Any way you look at it, sous vide is here to stay for me.

The magnets are a great idea!! I have a polycarbonate Cambro that I cook in, so I have a binder clip with magnet stuck to it that I clip onto foods when I need to. Usually I do proteins that sink like rocks, or pre-vacsealed meats from Trader Joe’s (like Aldi).

scalescliffs,
Reactions: MinnBobber

MinnBobber

I need some sous vide weights. Are these magnets very heavy/dense so they'd work just as a weight AND also where you use their magnetic properties? For example, clamping an "office clip" to outside of vacuum sealed bag AND magnets attached to that for extra weight?
1255584.jpg

Great minds think alike. LMAO

First, I used one of those office/binder clips and a table knife through it for weight. Didn't work for shit. LOL

Then, I went with the office/binder clip and a magnet. Worked great. Then, I realized, all I needed was the magnet. LOL Both work.

Funny that we all came to the same conclusion. ;)

Top Bottom