Canna-Coconut 'budder' Gone Awry?

Roy D Mercer

peasant
I'm new at this. And it's Awful to waste bud as I just did following a simple recipe.:doh:

Mixed 6.7 grams A-grade Northern Lights bud, finely ground, in 15 grams extra virgin coconut oil at between 225-250 degrees F for 3.5 hours, stirring regularly and testing temp with candy thermometer. (Cooked in small frying pan on solo electric burner.)

Allowed to cool into solid and scooped out apprx. 21.5 grams Canna-Coconut budder (including all finely ground bud).

Applied 5 grams budder to half a muffin and ate it. Two hours later I had a good body buzz working but that was about it. Disappointing. With the equivalent of 5 hits on an empty stomach, I expected more. I ate more of the budder straight but the effect remain unchanged.:shrug:

Before I waste any more good bud, :2c: would someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? E.g., over-cooking? My goal is to fight migraine headaches. Thanks to all!

Roy D Mercer,

Nycdeisel

Sounds like you used too much coconut oil!!

In addition, I highly recommend you use organic, and UNREFINED VCO(virgin coconut oil).

I have also been advised to cook canna coconut oil for about 12 hours on LOW in a crockpot. So that is what I am going to do when I make mine soon. I have not made this before but I am excited just to see someone else post about it again since i see limited posts about it here.

edit: actually, i didnt know how much 15grams of coconut oil was when i posted this, so you used less then 2 tablespoons of oil? hmmm, possible that it was cooked too hot.

Nycdeisel,

Roy D Mercer

peasant
Sounds like you used too much coconut oil!!

In addition, I highly recommend you use organic, and UNREFINED VCO(virgin coconut oil).

I have also been advised to cook canna coconut oil for about 12 hours on LOW in a crockpot. So that is what I am going to do when I make mine soon. I have not made this before but I am excited just to see someone else post about it again since i see limited posts about it here.

edit: actually, i didnt know how much 15grams of coconut oil was when i posted this, so you used less then 2 tablespoons of oil? hmmm, possible that it was cooked too hot.
Thanks very much for your note. Ah yes, I wonder if I overheated the oil, despite the vigil with thermometer in hand. Also noted your point about cooking the VCO longer -- up to 12 hours -- on low in a crock pot. Hmmm. Would you be willing to share how this goes? I have a mini crock pot that might be ideal.~

Roy D Mercer,

Nycdeisel

I have not yet made it, but when I do I will surely report on it! I was simply advised by someone who is very experienced in the kitchen with herb and ABV.

this is what the person who advised me does:
Place weed in crock pot (on the LOW setting), put enough of your oil in to cover the weed. Remember you have a fixed amount of THC in the weed, the more oil you use the less potent it will be. Plus, this will be cooking for 12+ hours. Please stir 3-4 times during the 12+ hour mark. All the plant material will enter the oil.
Extract through a colander - you don't need to worry about every little solid - just get the majority of it.
Carefully pour into clean jars, bottle, or whatever. Place in refrigerator to slow down oxidization.
You could now use this for anything that calls for oil in the recipe.

Zebra Bars

Get to the going before the goin' gets got!
Any time I've made edibles it's been the same results.I've used abv and bud, even combined them.If I make anything again I may just heat up coconut oil and add some to it till it's green and eat that clump when it dries. I hear you should have a small meal of good fats 30 to an hour before you consume thc. Example, eat some eggs when u wake up, just not alot. I guess the time depends on your metabolism

Roy D Mercer

peasant
I have not yet made it, but when I do I will surely report on it! I was simply advised by someone who is very experienced in the kitchen with herb and ABV.

this is what the person who advised me does:
Place weed in crock pot (on the LOW setting), put enough of your oil in to cover the weed. Remember you have a fixed amount of THC in the weed, the more oil you use the less potent it will be. Plus, this will be cooking for 12+ hours. Please stir 3-4 times during the 12+ hour mark. All the plant material will enter the oil.
Extract through a colander - you don't need to worry about every little solid - just get the majority of it.
Carefully pour into clean jars, bottle, or whatever. Place in refrigerator to slow down oxidization.
You could now use this for anything that calls for oil in the recipe.
Nycdeisel, thank you for the guidance. I'll report back when I try this!

Roy D Mercer,

Roy D Mercer

peasant
i do the water and coconut oil in crockpot method. the same as i would do with butter.
Thank you for the tip, StickyShisha. I have not tried dairy butter yet but will soon get to that. Meanwhile, makes perfect sense to use organic, unrefined Extra Virgin coconut oil prepared just like butter! Great topping on a hot English muffin...

Roy D Mercer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
The milliondollarquestion that beckons is - Did you decarboxylize your herb before you cooked it into your coco butter? This can/WILL make a major difference in your end product. (Hence why I only use ABV for cooking nowdays) :D

Roy D Mercer

peasant
The milliondollarquestion that beckons is - Did you decarboxylize your herb before you cooked it into your coco butter? This can/WILL make a major difference in your end product. (Hence why I only use ABV for cooking nowdays) :D

Great question, AGB. The very process of slow, low-temp "cooking" in EVO coconut oil is that the process decarboxylizes herb. (EVO coconut oil is non-polar, which is key in stripping away THC from herb and ABV.) In fact, the key advantage in using EVO coconut oil is that its non-polar properties act as a solvent on THC, while the oil itself serves as an excellent THC transfer medium from herb to oil. :popcorn:

The BIG question now is exactly how long does it take to fully decarboxylize herb/ABV in EVO coconut oil, AND transfer THC into the oil? I'm taking Nycdeisel's advice, trying a crock pot on low for 12 + hours. :peace:

Roy D Mercer,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'm not big into edibles, so largely reporting what I've read rather than experienced, but I'm sure I've picked up that and additional initial decarbing is good- for some reason it proves more effective to explicitly decarb first, rather than to rely on the long slow cooking in oil to achieve this. I don't know why- it seems a little counter intuitive.

edit: maybe check out the canna capsule decarbing directions: BadKat's CannaPharm: Medical Grade Edibles, Drinkables, Oils, & more..

Roy D Mercer

peasant
I'm not big into edibles, so largely reporting what I've read rather than experienced, but I'm sure I've picked up that and additional initial decarbing is good- for some reason it proves more effective to explicitly decarb first, rather than to rely on the long slow cooking in oil to achieve this. I don't know why- it seems a little counter intuitive.

edit: maybe check out the canna capsule decarbing directions: BadKat's CannaPharm: Medical Grade Edibles, Drinkables, Oils, & more..

Thank you, Wat. Great links. :)

Roy D Mercer,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
BadKittySmiles has transcribed only a small portion of her project here. Her stickied thread over at GC is full of recipes, citric acid and glycerin extractions, glowing hash candy, bong water etc . . its over 50 pages of great info. I make her hash caps, half strength, and have had great results. The full strength caps are over the top! :ko:

Roy D Mercer

peasant
BadKittySmiles has transcribed only a small portion of her project here. Her stickied thread over at GC is full of recipes, citric acid and glycerin extractions, glowing hash candy, bong water etc . . its over 50 pages of great info. I make her hash caps, half strength, and have had great results. The full strength caps are over the top! :ko:

Hey t-dub, many thanks for the link! BadKittySmiles is a great resource.

Roy D Mercer,

Roy D Mercer

peasant

Hey t-dub, many thanks for the link! BadKittySmiles is a great resource.

Roy D Mercer,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Another plus one for BadKitty ;) Great reference IMHO

I haven't done the coconut thing only butter or other oils for cooking so no help there but I've always gone by the rule that if I wasn't cooking the end product in a recipe at a slightly higher temp I'd usually decarb the herb prior to preparation. I do think 12hrs on low in a crockpot would be fine. If the herb was decarbed prior perhaps the 12hrs wouldn't be needed I would venture to guess. Be nice to get some clarification on that though.

I kept meaning to make the coconut capsules but the idea of stuffing all the capsules always seemed too much to fiddle with. Still... one of these days I'll have to jump and try it.

Nycdeisel

Lo- Coconut oil is solid at room temperature. so it might be easier to fill the capsules after its cooled down to at least room temp or colder.

Nycdeisel,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol.. Thanks Nyc ;) Yeah, I knew that and even looked at the little capsule holders. It just seems like it'd be a messy damn process yet still I'm tempted. Have you done them? Did you buy the little try for filling capsules?

Lo,

Nycdeisel

I havent made any canna coconut oil yet, but i am looking forward to doing it soon. Im not sure that I will want to put them into capsules, since I like to eat the oil as is and with foods.
Maybe a little messy ;) but i dont think it would be too much trouble, since they would be relatively easy to fill.

I want to make it with ABV, i wonder how long would be ideal for cooking it

Nycdeisel,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
When I made my capsules I used a big old plastic syringe for icing cakes (frosting?)- it was best warm and the coconut oil still fluid- other wise it was a real struggle to push out. It did manage to escape a bit out around the threads for the removable nozzle though, and still made enough of a mess. I reckon next time I try it I might get the oil into a piping bag, and keep it squeezable with a hot towel. Should work OK.

WatTyler,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I use a glass eye dropper and cap while the oil is warm. BadKitty uses a plastic pipette I think and either will do but you can't use the capsule filling tray device, it wont work with coconut oil.

t-dub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
no prob, also I do just like the tutorial says and use paper towel so I dont touch the gelatin cap on the bottom half while filling, and then ice the finish container so they cool quickly.

t-dub,

Roy D Mercer

peasant
Just received my capsule-filling machine today. Nothing too elaborate: 3ml - 5ml plastic pipettes, size 00 capsule filling machine (diswashable, food-quality). This system should drastically reduce the mess of filling capsules without handling them until they are finished. Available on Amazon.com.

Roy D Mercer,

Roy D Mercer

peasant

It appears what I did wrong was to count on the low/slow cooking of cannabis in coconut oil to decarb my herb. Wrong assumption. :rolleyes: Hence forth, I will decard all edibles before attempting to cook with them. Thanks to everyone who contributed here!

Roy D Mercer,
Top Bottom