can someone recommend some good stash jars?

jambolaya

Are the glass on glass jars(like the ones you can find at crate and barrel) air tight?

jambolaya,

willieR

Been here since 2009
DeepFried said:
That is what I use as well, nothing better than using vacuum sealing in a glass container. The pump n seal works excellent and the tabs are reusable, I have not had to replace a tab yet.

He's referring to the mason jars and vacuum pump. I have a 2 year old jar still going strong. Given the fact that absolutely air-tight mason jars come in all sizes and the vacuum pump costs $29, why would anyone use anything else?

Herb won't las nearly as long if it's in contact with a lot of Oxygen.

willieR,

hereatlast

Any links to the cheaper GonG jars that sell individual units and not cases? Thanks.

hereatlast,

nealcassidy

You've probably seen these vacuum pump things for wine. $11 on Amazon, extra corks available.
I'm going to find a small bottle with an inside diameter that matches the outside diameter of the rubber cork.
Will post results.

2u4tw9i.jpg

nealcassidy,

OC513

Dabaholic
the wife likes candles so I noticed that the ones she buys come in jars almost identical to stash jars I have seen, especially the 420 jars. All glass jars and lids with a gasket seal, keeps things nice and fresh. They come in many different sizes and best of all they are "free". Wife is buying the candles regardless! I use the small one and it holds a 1/4 oz perfectly. The larger ones would hold up to about 2 oz. Similr to the ones below

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OC513,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I will again suggest that anyone storing larger amounts for a longer time look at that cheap vacuum pump. Mason jars are rediculously cheap. The pump is under $30. Extremely good results. Keeps things very fresh for very long.

If you want a decorative storage jar, that's fine. I store a few days worth in a grinder. The main stash under vacuum

willieR,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
OK, after feeling like a dork for not keeping my on-hand vape-ready stash in glass, I have redeemed myself.
img2831r.jpg

Tstat,

jambolaya

Tsat- where did you get those jars?
If you got them from the internet, what stores could have small jars like these?

jambolaya,

Nycdeisel

haha thats better Tstat! Mind telling us where you got those(or you could email me)?

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yes, that is where I got them. They are really quite cute. I ground up about 1.3 in each jar. It looks like they would hold 2 g no problem. I just like to have several strains ground and ready to go. The jar in the back is what I store bud in.

Tstat,

willieR

Been here since 2009
PLease please please consider this cheap and very effective vacuum system: http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Obviously this has been around for decades and I have no affiliation. It's cheaper than the $10 a lid of that vac-saver since you can convert any lid into a vacuum lid with a pin hole and yellow "band-aid." The pump-n-seal comes with maybe 100 little "band-aids" so you can seal containers for years and they tolerate washing very well. I've used this system for two years now, and even jars sealed for 6 months are still very sealed under vacuum. Very, very effective.

For $30 you can't go wrong.

Again, airtight is fine, but the O2 sealed in the jar will degrade organic material. The vacuum slows this degradation to a crawl.

willieR,

Nycdeisel

Tstat, are those little jars airtight? or do they aid you in the drying process?

Nycdeisel,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol Willie. The thing I linked is a $10 attachment for the vac-foodsaver. You don't buy one for each mason jar, it is used over & over to suck out air and seal mason jars. My husband already had the Foodsaver for fish so... Was a good buy for me. If he didn't have the foodsaver I'd go for the manual pump as well.

Lo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Hi Lo! That's too funny. I could not get my head wrapped around that. I called Foodsaver and sure enough, that adapter is used with standard Mason jar lids, just as you say. Thanks for the education, Lo!

willieR,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
@Nycdeisel: I don't think that they are air-tight. I mean a mason jar, to me, is air-tight due to the rubber gasket. These do not have gaskets. That said, they screw on REAL tight and are probably pretty close to air-tight.

I don't use these to "store" my herbs. That is what the canning jars are for. The longest this stuff sits in these jars is probably a couple of weeks. If it is a strain I am loving at the moment, then that jar gets filled more often, hehe.

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Here is another picture I took that day. It shows the jars with the lids off- so you can see what type of screw-cap it is.
img2830g.jpg

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I am kinda spoiled at the moment. I am also a huge geek when it comes to vaping and such. :)

Tstat,

lwien

Very recent thoughts on storage from my dispensary:
------------------------
"THCA and THC Marijuana contains a group of compounds called cannabinoids. These cannabinoids are formed by the plant in their acidic form, e.g. THCA. THCA has historically been described as not being bioavailable, meaning that you can't absorb it in its acidic form. Exposure to room temperatures over time will cause acidic cannabinoids to slowly decarboxylate to a pH neutral form, e.g. THC. Exposure to higher heat can immediately decarboxylate THCA into THC. The thinking is that smoking, vaporizing or cooking cannabis provides enough heat to decarboxylate the THCA into an active form. Which appears to be true, except... Dr. Arno Hazekamp, a very bright young scientist from Holland, studied cannabis tea with a liquid chromatography machine. Cannabis tea is interesting because the hot water really shouldn't be an efficient method for decarboxylating THCA to THC, unless you boiled the raw cannabis for a couple of hours. And Hazekamp proved that, yet he also found that despite the high levels of THCA in cannabis tea, it appears to be pretty good at delivering an strong medicinal effect. This effect noted by Hazekamp is causing some reevaluation of the bioavailability and effects of THCA. The other thing that Hazekamp found was that the THC(A) in cannabis tea precipitates onto the walls of the container unless you add an emulsifier. The best emulsifier he found was nondairy creamer. It might be disgusting, but it works much better than milk or cream to keep the THC(A) in solution.

Where exactly is the THC(A) in marijuana? Almost exclusively in heads of the trichome hairs. The trichome heads are pretty fragile, so it's typical for them to rupture during trimming, storage or handling. Trichomes are often harvested from the plant as kif or extracted using cold water or solvents. Using liquid chromatography, you can gauge how well the trichomes have been treated by the examining the ratio of THCA to THC to CBN... The more THCA, the better its been handled and stored.

Should I freeze my cannabis to store it? Sure, with a few caveats... First, residual water in raw cannabis will freeze, expand, and rupture the cell walls of the cannabis. It will also make the trichomes and their glandular heads brittle. So, you want to handle frozen cannabis very carefully. Only pull out what you're going to use. Don't freeze, thaw, then refreeze. Only freeze well-cured cannabis (9% water weight, which means pretty crisp yet still very aromatic) cannabis."
-------------------------------------------------------------

The following was added a bit later and may be a bit of concern for those that dry their herb before using them in their vapes.......

-----------------------------------------------------------

"When dried flowers start to lose additional moisture, it can lead to deterioration of cannabinoid content, but it's still only about 7% a month. Not great, but not terrible.

When dried cannabis loses too much residual water content, the rate at which its essential oils begin to evaporate appears to accelerate. If you're using a Foodsaver, you should be stabilizing the rate of water loss. The key for your setup will be minimizing exposure to heat and light. I would divide up your stash into smaller portions and bag these portions with the Foodsaver. We've found that dried cannabis can lose a lot of water very quickly when its package is opened in a dry room, so minimize this by reducing your "portion" size. The only warning is to make certain that you're not pulling so much oxygen out with your Foodsaver that you inadvertently provide anaerobic bacteria with a chance to gain a foothold. Moist bud and low oxygen is a recipe for disaster."

willieR

Been here since 2009
lwien said:
The only warning is to make certain that you're not pulling so much oxygen out with your Foodsaver that you inadvertently provide anaerobic bacteria with a chance to gain a foothold. Moist bud and low oxygen is a recipe for disaster."

Great stuff lwien! Thanks for taking the time to post that. Interesting about the tea, since boiling water never exceeds 100C and the low end of the vape temps is 185C (I think offhand).

Regarding the quote above, Oxygen causes the primary deterioration of organic materials, which is why potato chips are sealed in Nitrogen. By lowering the air content (partial vacuum) you are reducing the O2 content. You are also lowering CO2 available for anaerobic bacteria. If the material is sufficiently dried it will not support anaerobic or aerobic bacterial growth, as both need some H2O. Most organic material that we care about is below 60%.

So dry the material to a level below 60%, pull a vacuum, and enjoy the storage.

I have noticed that material stored long term under vacuum increases body buzz, less head buzz. Some degradation of some Cannabinoid I assume, despite the no light, low temps and low O2.

willieR,

stinkmeaner

That PumpNSeal looks great for $30, that and those little mini jars mentioned above seem to be the perfect storage solution for the person who has a wide variety of herbs. Unfortunately for us down in the South, we don't have the need for that many containers since our State has not got with the times and approved Medi MJ.

stinkmeaner,
Top Bottom