Can poor quality cannabis = good quality hash?

momatik

I live in NJ. The world of hashes and concentrates is something I've only learned about through the internet for the most part. But I'm very intrigued by it, especially the more 'fancier' concentrates available in some medicinal states.

Hash connects do exist here, but I'm a bit weary of purchasing hash for a few reasons:
-It's fairly expensive
-I don't know what to look for
-I don't know what method was used for making the hash
-I've heard stories of hash being mixed with opiates from relatively reliable sources. Opiate abuse is becoming more and more of a problem here in NJ so it's not as surprising as one might think. Especially considering a lot of the opiates that do come in to NJ are probably from Afghanistan where hash making is also prevalent.

Anyway, let's say you have 2 batches of cannabis flowers: A large amount of poorly grown flowers, and a small amount of beautifully grown indoor flowers. Both have the exact same amount of cannabinoids. Both have the same ratios of cannabinoids.

Hypothetically, would the concentrates made of both batches be equivalent, assuming the method is the same?

momatik,

OO

Technical Skeptical
quality is a subjective term. do you have any objective preferences with which to evaluate?

If we're talking potency, then keep in mind, not all of the trichome is active substance, so knowing the exact molar quantity or quantity of active compounds by mass is crucial to comparing potency.

OO,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Hash connects do exist here, but I'm a bit weary of purchasing hash for a few reasons

if your worried about it then don't do it!

instead make your own bho! there is lots of good info about how to do it properly out there. then you'll know exactly what goes into the process.

I've heard stories of hash being mixed with opiates from relatively reliable sources. Opiate abuse is becoming more and more of a problem here in NJ so it's not as surprising as one might think.

i would think you should be able to spot the difference in the 'experience'. i would hope that u would be able to distinguish the two, as they work in completely different ways.

Hypothetically, would the concentrates made of both batches be equivalent, assuming the method is the same?

the answer is Yes, because
Both have the exact same amount of cannabinoids. Both have the same ratios of cannabinoids.

however, i have heard that if you use low quality ingredients you will end up with a lower quality product in the end. conversely, higher quality ingredient= high quality product.

therefore, you might be better off making some sort of salad in the hopes of getting lots of average product instead of a bunch of crap, and a little bit of great.

bottom line is, even crappy ingredients make asskicking bho (if purged properly).

notmyrealUSERname,

Beezleb

I have never heard of opiates being put in Hash.

The end product is always dependent upon the starting product. Low grade herb will make low grade hash. No way around that.

Hash comes in many ways and forms, I suggest a google search of "Hash"
wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish

Beezleb,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
its a tough call. in general crappier weed does make crappier hash. But i have had stuff i didn't really enjoy vaping, but did enjoy the hash we made from it. If you're making it yourself for the first time, might want to take the leap with the crappier stuff. But the best hash I've made is from the best stuff.

rabblerouser,

lepstadder

No the quality of the hash would directly relate to the quality of the starting material

Making hash or edibles is a great way to use up material that is not so enjoyable to smoke

lepstadder,

djonkoman

bad quality weed would also give hash that isn't topqualty I think, but still crappy hash is much better as crappy weed
btw weird hash is so expensive for you, here most hash is about the same price as weed or slightly more expensive, only the topquality hash goes for lidicilous high prices
I can even get hash for much less as weed, but not at the moment(probably somewhere spring next year or so again, then I can het hash for 1 or 2 euro per gram)

djonkoman,

momatik

Beezleb said:

I'm familiar with hash and various hash making techniques from around the world.

I think my question really comes down to a discussion of the how big an impact the amount of psychoactives has vs. a wider range of psychoactives offered proper growing techniques.

momatik,

Beezleb

momatik said:
Beezleb said:

I'm familiar with hash and various hash making techniques from around the world.

I think my question really comes down to a discussion of the how big an impact the amount of psychoactives has vs. a wider range of psychoactives offered proper growing techniques.

Then I do not get what you are asking as you first posted these issues you have which initially indicates/appears that you would not understand how properly hash was made as you say
-I don't know what to look for
-I don't know what method was used for making the hash

Their are many ways of making Hash which are proper so I am a bit confused on what you are asking? By knowing how these methods you would understand what to look for. If you truly understood Hash you would understand virtually instantly by looking at hash how it was made and the quality. So my suggestion to you read the wiki link was one that would have answered your questions if you would have looked at it and/or could of served as basis for more questions or leads to other answers. To spoon feed all the aspects of Hash would be to write a book. I believe you mean to say that you are familiar with the concept of different types of hash.

If you asking if Hash made, regardless of style/method but made pure as possible, would be more potent than if you just used regular herb? If so, keep in mind Hash is in essence a concentrate of crystals but it will still have the shortcomings of the starter material. It would be more akin to smoking more of the herb used at best.

Mid herb will only make mid hash. Their really is no way to effectively bump up level or so if that is what you are wondering. Generally speaking, make sure the Hash is consistent looking and solid. It can be soft, hard, elastic and varied degrees of that. The best Hash I ever had was in Maastricht.

or

Are you asking can you grow a plant with a technique in a way that makes better Hash? The answer would like be no but not all herb plants are good for Hash. A plant with high resin is what you want to use but anyone making hash would understand this.

Some cautions:
I would caution on buying hash if you know the person made hash from it because the crop was bad though.
Make sure you do not see any plant material and generally green color is a lower quality.
Generally Hash that is the same price as bud will be similar quality to the bud in that price range.

An old test for hard hash (wont work with bubble hash or the like)
take a small piece of hash and burn it. Should light in 1-2 attempts. If it does not light by the 3rd its junk in my view.
Once lit let it burn for a few seconds and then blow it out. It should burn just like incense and have a milky type of smoke to it.
Once the test piece is completely burned it should be white ash and nothing else. If their is no white ash it could mean contaminants.

To see some pics and videos I suggest searching Hash on youtube or the like for great visuals.
Hope that helps at all.

Beezleb,

momatik

My initial post was, upon reflection, a bit unclear and I apologize for that.

When I said "I don't know what to look for" I meant specifically in being able to look at hash and grade it. When I first began using cannabis it all looked the same for the most part. As I continued and was exposed to higher grades I quickly started seeing differences. While I've seen different types of concentrates online and have a relatively good understanding of the different extraction methods, I have zero experience with them. That's what I meant.

The dealers I'm familiar with don't have any idea what I mean when I ask "what method was used?" They just know it's hash. As if there is only one method to make it. Obviously if it were amber in color and oily, I would have an idea of it's quality and even have an idea of it's method of extraction. But hash here is dealt in small amounts, and is very very dark. It could mean anything.

Mid herb will only make mid hash. Their really is no way to effectively bump up level or so if that is what you are wondering.

This really is what I was trying to get at. I was just thinking about what makes bad cannabis to be honest.

It's not only a lower % of active compounds, but also a more narrow range, right? I wanted some insight as to how that would translate to hash, because as a concentrate you're making up for the lowered amount quantitatively, albeit still not getting that range of various cannabinoids.

momatik,

Beezleb

Bad weed can be from many things from improperly grown/harvested/dried/cured plants or to some it could simply mean a strain that simply has a lower THC/actives rating than others. Distinguishing the difference in your meaning will help.

The very dark hash does not mean it is bad. What you are seeing is oxidation and is normal depending on the type of hash typically once it was pressed. All you can really do when looking at a hash or weed is to determine if it is in healthy and/or properly made state. It does not give you a precise feeling for strength, just if it was handled correctly. With experience you can become a better judge. I have seen bag seed grown from brick weed produce plants with just as much crystals as white widow and its mids quality only. Without knowing any pre information you can only truly judge potential in my view.

Since its small numbers it sounds to me perhaps your offered hash is from the trim (does not mean low quality). Much hash is made from this and is probably the most common. I say give it a try and see how it goes. If they sell you herb that you is good enough for you to back to them for I imagine the hash would be ok to good. Dont expect cloud 9 going in. If it was something really special, they would want top dollar! I always liked to mix hash and weed. Nice spice.

Another thing to consider. Use a 3 piece grinder and after a bit of time collecting kief make your own pressed hash or just a sprinkle of kief makes a bowl happy. It will be of the average quality of what you smoke.

Beezleb,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Interesting topic tha I, hopefully, will be able to answer a little more in depth in the next week or so.

I have just taken my very first piece of hash out of the press this morning! It is very very small, maybe the size of a quarter...but it was only a trial run just to see what would happen. I am going to screen/shake some trim and press that and see what happens.

And when I say trim...I mean some trim. It will be a good test, because normally you could only use that stuff for baking of something. No way you can smoke it the way it is.

finchrock24,

djonkoman

that very dark hasj, is it also flexible, gets softer when you warm it with your hands and gets soft enough to roll it into a sausage(for inside a joint, surrounded by weed)?
because then it could be handhash, most likely afghan or nepal
siefhasj like maroc and superpolm is usually more brown, hard(easier to break up into pieces for in a joint instead of making a sausage from it, also to break it up easier warming with a lighter helps, with handhash this is obsulete because unheated or with only handwarmth it's already that soft)
also siefhash falls apart easier, handhash sticks together in one piece more

never had hash made with less traditional methods(like gumby/bubble hasj, ico-o-lator etc)

djonkoman,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
The hash I got is dark in color but very brittle. It holds together okay but its really easy to break apart. Not sticking or gooey at all. It is simply just compressed Kief. I heard that if I drop 1 or 2 drops of 91% ISO or Vodka, it iwill stick together a little better....what do you think?

finchrock24,
Top Bottom