• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Can I sand down glass??

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I've had mixed results using a metal rasp under water(mine is one of those that are pyramid shape) . Be careful with glass dust and you can polish with torch after sanding to melt any sharp edges left from it.
I google a bit ,and i see there are more fitting items for that matter.
http://www.banggood.com/10pcs-Diamo...or-Jewelery-Glass-Jade-Grinding-p-975357.html
Maybe you will find them in your local hardware store :).

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
If nothing else, take it slow, keep the glass wet constantly while sanding, wear eye protection and a face mask because glass particles can do some pretty nasty stuff to you.

I've cut holes in fish tanks for plumbing purposes and have seen some nasty side affects for those that don't protect themselves properly.

Baron23

I've had mixed results using a metal rasp under water(mine is one of those that are pyramid shape) . Be careful with glass dust and you can polish with torch after sanding to melt any sharp edges left from it.
I google a bit ,and i see there are more fitting items for that matter.
http://www.banggood.com/10pcs-Diamo...or-Jewelery-Glass-Jade-Grinding-p-975357.html
Maybe you will find them in your local hardware store :).
That's a screaming good deal. I have some fine files, but even if these are one time use junk, for that price they are well worth it. Just order them, thanks!

Baron23,
Reactions: duckTape

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
That's a screaming good deal. I have some fine files, but even if these are one time use junk, for that price they are well worth it. Just order them, thanks!
:D I was about to order it too,but saw them at the local hardware store for 3$ :D

Abysmal Vapor,

subway13029

i work for a glass company (commercial storefronts) lol but when we have to make a window smaller by small amounts we us a hand sander that has a glass grinding disk and we never use water..just go slow and dont let it get too hot..thats when it cracks and breaks..and always wear mask. that dust is sick and dangerous..still iffy about water as everyone says to use it but im just giving my experience in we dont use it. sometimes when we cut glass we use wd40 to spray onto it and the blade.

throwawaytre3s

i work for a glass company (commercial storefronts) lol but when we have to make a window smaller by small amounts we us a hand sander that has a glass grinding disk and we never use water..just go slow and dont let it get too hot..thats when it cracks and breaks..and always wear mask. that dust is sick and dangerous..still iffy about water as everyone says to use it but im just giving my experience in we dont use it. sometimes when we cut glass we use wd40 to spray onto it and the blade.

The only thing I'd be concerned about it the fact that boro is harder and has some different properties from the sort of glass you're cutting for windows and displays. I work primarily with soft glass on torches making beads, but I've never seen anyone cut any boro tubes or rods. They've always been pre-cut by the time we've gotten them to the torch, and you kind of just pick the closest size to the one you need. This leads me to think that maybe cutting/grinding boro may be harder than normal, because I cut soft glass rods all the time for my regular lampwork.

throwawaytre3s,

subway13029

agreed but we do high impact glass that we are putting on a navy hangar right now that is an inch and 3 quarters thick..agreed that its not boro and all things are indeed diferrent was just throwing my 2 cents in. lol

slozukimc

I sanded the bottom of my Nibbler AC smooth after the skirt broke. That is Boro glass and all I used was a piece of 400 grit black oxide sandpaper on a block and a lot of patience.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I've sanded some adapter with an extra coarse DMT diamond sharpening plate, no water.
Definitely a task that requires some patience.

The Beagle,
Top Bottom