• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Can I fix my Vapeman Steam Engine mod?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I picked this up on the cheap from a chinese site mentioned here and I got unlucky. Apparently the first production run of the Steam Engine had a common fault in which the cable driving the display would come off...
My Steam Engine works to fire my sub-ohm tank but the screen is dead so I cannot adjust settings. Is it possible to open it up and get to the screen so I can try to fix it ? It's a really nice mod and would be good to have it working properly so I can use it with some of the cool new 510 vaping tools coming out....

In the meantime if anyone has one can you say what button presses are needed to enter wattage control mode? Is the left button the down button? As it is now, when I turn it on the up/down buttons don't seem to increase or decrease power.

Thanks

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You should be able to configure it with escribe on your computer at least.

As for the flat-flex ribbon going to your screen, it's a bit involved usually but sometimes fixable.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Cool, thanks. I tried to open it but it looks like I 'd have to de-solder the power wires to be able to pull out the PCB and get to the display?

The bottom of the device ( the only way in) is held by 4 tiny screws onto the plastic battery case, with the springs for the batteries pushing back fiercely, and it doesn't look like the threads for those screws will last very long at all. Not impressed by the quality and design there... I can see a drop on a hard surface fucking this up for good.

I worked out the buttons so I'm able to adjust the power. I'll check out the escribe software. I'm looking at getting the StemPod and would be good to be able to adjust the temperature related settings.

At least the vendor (ave40) gave me a full refund, but only after I opened a Paypal dispute...

Haze Mister,
Reactions: KeroZen

HerbieVonVapster

Other than access it shouldn’t be hard to reconnect it.

Is screen completely blank did it ever work?

Kerozen Escribe ideal is best bet. Can adjust settings there then test them with the live display mode.

HerbieVonVapster,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
The screen is blank and never worked. It seems that it's the power cable that goes to the fire button that prevents me from pulling out the PCB. It's thick but I don't have much experience with soldering on PCBs.

Haze Mister,

HerbieVonVapster

Bummer with Escribe least be able setup a working tc profile.

Once all set up lock bottons.
You be tied into just one temperature but it will work.

Could also make a couple different profiles with different temperatures and just switch profiles.

Do you like a high medium and low profile.

Once get a feel of heat difference should be able tell them apart.

Not the ideal situation but it would allow you to least use mod.

HerbieVonVapster,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Thanks. I like to set and forget so that might work.
Escribe for Mac comes with an installer that needs admin privileges. I guess it's installing a USB driver...

But.. my OCD won't let this be.. :rolleyes: I would be awesome to get this working. If anyone has any tips on getting the PCB out of there it will be good to hear.
Can't find anything on Youtube...

HerbieVonVapster

Thanks. I like to set and forget so that might work.
Escribe for Mac comes with an installer that needs admin privileges. I guess it's installing a USB driver...

Not sure it's been couple months since installed ascribe on my mac. I think you can get it working with escribe. Use it's device manager to make live adjust. It give you least a display of whats going on well you do the settings adjustments.

HerbieVonVapster,
Top Bottom