can i extract avb into coconut oil without heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidWolf

My guess is that I'm sure it would a little, but you probably would not have enough extraction for it to not be a waste. You may have better luck putting the avb in capsules or just plain eating it. If I was not using heat then I would plan on using something like Everclear and leave it submerged for a few months. Here is a quick video guide for cooking avb coconut oil in a crockpot. If you are worried about smell you may want to check out nomiku.com. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

EDIT: As @bibblybobbly said below the coconut oil will need to be liquid first.

Last edited:
AcidWolf,

max

Out to lunch
1- Coconut oil turns liquid at about 76 F. Infusion needs a lot more heat than room temp.

2- You really shouldn't start a question thread and then not return to the forum for 6 days and counting.

max,

chimpybits

If anyone, especially op, cares, there is a way to extract w/o heat and is well detailed in various threads w/in the Cooking with Cannabis area usually referred to here as "cold infusion". @jeffp in particular has detailed his recipe throughout the Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil) thread starting around here.

Basically, this is jeffp's recipe:
I measure out 1/2 cup before the fine coffee grinder grind, and add 1/2 cup canola oil. I don't simmer the oil, I let it leech for 4+ days aka cold infusion, I add a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt prior to leeching. I don't strain the bud from the oil, I use the sleazy spent herb in the brownie mix. You can't really taste it and straining is too much of a hassle in my opinion.

Last edited:

DrNick420

i feel completely the opposite about straining,

i cook in coco oil for 12-16 hours stirred regularly in crock pot at extremely low heat with lecithin added and it makes abv more powerful than ever could make sense

i do not like particles in my oil so i strain thru tshirt and cheese cloth several times i really think it is worth it and beneficial to the quality & enjoyment of the final product.

some people will be happy not straining and that is fine but that is not me

DrNick420,
Reactions: AcidWolf

chimpybits

i feel completely the opposite about straining,

i cook in coco oil for 12-16 hours stirred regularly in crock pot at extremely low heat with lecithin added and it makes abv more powerful than ever could make sense

i do not like particles in my oil so i strain thru tshirt and cheese cloth several times i really think it is worth it and beneficial to the quality & enjoyment of the final product.

some people will be happy not straining and that is fine but that is not me
OP is asking can i extract avb into coconut oil without heat

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
AH that is a very important detail.
Sorry about that.

My experience with cold infusion was originally with canola oil, I'm currently using grapeseed oil and I would recommend that. I like coconut oil with the magical butter machine using fresh bud, and for ABV it's cold infusion with grapeseed. hope this helps. Here's all the details to make it easier for you: half a cup of ABV ground to powder (i use an electric coffee bean grinder). Dump into a mason jar. Add one half cup of grapeseed oil, a dash of salt and a little vinegar - maybe a teaspoon. I use organic apple cider vinegar. Seal the jar, shake it vigorously and leave it in a dark cabinet for about 10 days. Every day shake or stir it. For some reason no matter how tight the seal is, oil will leak out especially if you shake so I just stir with a bamboo skewer. After about ten days just use this oil for brownies. Don't bake the brownies higher than 325 no matter what the recipe says. Just let it bake longer and use the toothpick method to see if they're done. (if after you stab a toothpick into it it comes up with chocolate let it bake a little longer). I've not detected, nor have any of my friends detected, any grainy texture, there's really no need to strain the oil.

jeffp,
Reactions: Squiby

bibblybobbly

OP is asking can i extract avb into coconut oil without heat

The compounds you're trying to extract from the plant are highly soluble in many organic solvents including lipids. So the minimal requirement on heat is that there's enough to keep the solvent in liquid state. If it's solid (as cocnut oil is at standard room temperature), then there isn't really any surface area for the solvent and solute to interact.

Increasing temperature even more will speed up the process to some extent, but you would want to be careful not to denature or evaporate all the goodies.

The crock pot on low setting strikes me as a good idea because it'll keep it just above melting point and the lid makes a decent seal. A saucepan on the lowest setting ought to suffice.

I've never tried this out but I'd like to do this, or the alcohol way.

bibblybobbly,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom