Can i decarb qwet without using fat or oil?

Snooppossum

Sooo the only success ive had with edibles is green dragon.well i was planning on making dabs but my rig broke and i already have some non-decarbed ethanol extract that i now want to mix with a shot of grain liquor and mix into a soda.all the guides say to dissolve in oil or butter but i cant get much from edibles like that so i wanna stick to the ethanol.can i just put it in pyrex and double boil it by itself or should i put it in the oven?

Also, can i winterize an ethanol extract with more ethanol?

Snooppossum,

Deleted Member 1643

Does it just need to be purged? You can purge and decarb at the same time in a 120C oil bath. First you see ethanol bubbles, then tiny carbon dioxide bubbles. When the bubbles stop, it's fully purged and decarbed. You can also stop before it's fully decarbed, if you still want to dab it.

Snooppossum

Does it just need to be purged? You can purge and decarb at the same time in a 120C oil bath. First you see ethanol bubbles, then tiny carbon dioxide bubbles. When the bubbles stop, it's fully purged and decarbed. You can also stop before it's fully decarbed, if you still want to dab it.
Thanks man thats exactly what i needed to know.how can i tell the difference in the bubbles, Is the co2 smaller? And do,you notice much difference between the full decarb and the oartual when it comes to edibles? Some say it makes it heavier if you decarb fully...

4tokin

I was about to reply but @Accept beat me to it.

At this point double boil it and watch for the bubbles in the oil.

Once it has purged / decarbed, then you can dissolve it in warm coconut oil ready for oral consumption.

There is a lot of info in the cooking section.

Deleted Member 1643

You're welcome. Yes, the CO2 bubbles are much smaller. It's obvious, just don't be impatient. Don't have much experience with edibles. If it's not decarbed, you shouldn't feel effects, but sometimes do. There's slow decarboxylation if harvested late and cured.

A double boiler with water would only get to 100C. Hot enough to boil off the ethanol, but not sure about decarbing. Always did oil bath at 120C.

herbivore21

You're welcome. Yes, the CO2 bubbles are much smaller. It's obvious, just don't be impatient. Don't have much experience with edibles. If it's not decarbed, you shouldn't feel effects, but sometimes do. There's slow decarboxylation if harvested late and cured.

A double boiler with water would only get to 100C. Hot enough to boil off the ethanol, but not sure about decarbing. Always did oil bath at 120C.
You could achieve close to full decarb with a double boiler at 212f/100c, but the decarboxylation process will take considerably longer (roughly an hour, see below).

This chart (from an old article out of the Journal of Chromatography) illustrates this:

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

Snooppossum

I was about to reply but @Accept beat me to it.

At this point double boil it and watch for the bubbles in the oil.

Once it has purged / decarbed, then you can dissolve it in warm coconut oil ready for oral consumption.

There is a lot of info in the cooking section.
Thanks man! Im avoiding any kinda oil. Though cause im going for a tincture.so im just gonna purge/decarb, then redissolve in ethanol plus a tablespoon of honey for a nice little vial of happiness.

Snooppossum

Yeah man im gonna try to make a tincture so i guess ill make an oil bath and wait for the bubbles.ive heard alot if people stop soon as the bubbles taper but that i should go until the stop entirely for a more recreational feeling.any experience there?

Snooppossum,

Deleted Member 1643

Yeah man im gonna try to make a tincture so i guess ill make an oil bath and wait for the bubbles.ive heard alot if people stop soon as the bubbles taper but that i should go until the stop entirely for a more recreational feeling.any experience there?

Not much experience with tincture. Search for a thread started by @randomtoker. Skunk Pharm has a famous tincture recipe and trusted, step-by-step info on this process.

4tokin

As for winterising, freeze your ethanol after you have soaked your cannabis. Then hold the ethanol up to the light, if you see a cloudiness in the solution there are waxes present. They can be filtered out by pouring the still frozen ethanol through a coffee filter.

@Accept, I suggested the water double boiler for safety reasons. I am a little reluctant to advise a learner to play with hot oil. I have seen hot oil accidents.
I purchased a small chip frier for the purpose when I was exploring ETOH.

Top Bottom