Can a wax vaporizer with ceramic flat coil be dry run without damage?

sz1a

Retailer
I have a Quickdraw 300 DLX and it has a wax cartridge. The atomizer is of the flat coil type and sits over a ceramic pad. There is no silica wick. Initially when I got it I dry ran it a few times and didn't observe any vapor or any strange smells. Question one: Is this okay to do or can it burn/melt the coil?

Question 2: After adding wax and using it I did the dry run again to vape off the last wax remains before adding more. However now there was a nasty burnt smell that stuck to my tongue. Is that burnt wax or burnt equipment? I mostly have experience with herbal vapes but new to the dabbing pens.

sz1a,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Not familiar with that pen system but it looks like a rebranded http://www.v2cigs.com/v2pro-series . Is the power adjustable or is it set for you? If it's variable it might have been turned up too high. I wouldn't worry about damaging your coil by dry burning it as long as you don't go over board. Some recommend cleaning that way (at the proper power if it's variable) and in pulses for about 4-5 secondish of coil glow at a time. FYI some people say that dry burning can cause coil oxidation and isn't good for you, this could possibly happen just from not keeping enough concentrate on the coils in our application used. I avoid dry hits while using my coil systems, but I do dry burn my coils and wash em off by squirting them with water from a washed out ecig juice bottle. No vapors during your dry burn indicates that it's more likely your setting, atomizer design, concentrate, etc rather then something melted in the unit. If there had been plastic melting or burning you would most likely smell it.

Puffers,

sz1a

Retailer
Thanks for the reply! Yes it is a re-make of the V2. There is only one temperature in the form of on or off. When I had a Cloud Classic it started to burn the wick if hitting it too much or when the wax started drying out resulting in some gut-wrenching hits and day-long cough. Maybe it was a combination of crappy wax, wick and oxidation. I will try squirting a little water on the coil, should you keep the coil on while doing it or put a few drops first and then engage?

sz1a,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Thanks for the reply! Yes it is a re-make of the V2. There is only one temperature in the form of on or off. When I had a Cloud Classic it started to burn the wick if hitting it too much or when the wax started drying out resulting in some gut-wrenching hits and day-long cough. Maybe it was a combination of crappy wax, wick and oxidation. I will try squirting a little water on the coil, should you keep the coil on while doing it or put a few drops first and then engage?

Well I use rebuildables so a slightly different platform where I don't have to worry as much about harming the battery, getting it wet, etc. If you want you can also soak the coil head over nite in vodka and rinse off. I dry burn til glowing then squirt my coils while glowing to rinse them off. Holding your pen upside down or sideways so that water doesn't drip into energized electronics. Inspect for build up on coils, rinse and repeat as necessary (literally :D ) . Before dabbin on your clean coil make sure it's free of water by just pulsing the button to boil off any remaining h2o. That may work to clean up your coil if it had some carbon build up or similar inside.

Puffers,

sz1a

Retailer
I will have to try a quetip with plenty of vodka while upside down, my coil is hard to get to and since this is magnetic I don't know if I can get it out after running it without the cartridge.. It slides into place on these models.
tEO3lEY.jpg

huznp8I.jpg

sz1a,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
From that shot your coil looks nice and clean to me... I would try loading up a fairly large dab to saturate the coil and going easy with the heat to try not to scorch it.

Puffers,

sz1a

Retailer
Okay I will give that a try, I've been putting pretty small dabs on there like single serving size. Maybe I should cram some more into it and see how that goes. My Cloud Classic would clog the air holes if too much wax was put in it and it would drip down onto the battery connection. Hopefully this doesn't have that issue, it doesn't look like it would in any case since the air goes in from the sides instead of the bottom.

sz1a,
Top Bottom