Burn-off / breaking in a QDC atomiser vape pen

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hi,

I have just received my Yocan Evolve Plus vape pen with Quartz Dual Coil atomiser.

Do I need to do a burn-off to get rid of initial toxins or manufacturing artefacts?

If so how do you properly prepare a new QDC atomiser for use?

Thanks,
1DMF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Thanks appreciated. So looking forward to squishing tomorrow and breaking this thing in.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@Melting Pot I have made some nice rosin, switched to a new QDC atomiser, did a few burn offs, then added the rosin.

Why to me does it taste like ass?

pn4SZfL.jpg

The pen is super fast, creates instant clouds with less than a second button push, has a great anti-leak / splash guard, which is clearly doing its job just look at the rosin splatters.

When I put the same rosin in my dabstorm ceramic doughnut atomiser, it tastes amazing.

OK, as the Yocan has no variable voltage control, the dabstrom takes a lot longer to create vapour as I have it set low, but it tastes divine.

Is this a normal trade off when using coil atomisers, quick instant hard hitting rips that are close to smolking, but tastes like shit?

I even think when I smell the atomiser it's like sniffing an ashtray?

Does your Yocan look like this?

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

waxdab23

@Melting Pot I have made some nice rosin, switched to a new QDC atomiser, did a few burn offs, then added the rosin.

Why to me does it taste like ass?

pn4SZfL.jpg

The pen is super fast, creates instant clouds with less than a second button push, has a great anti-leak / splash guard, which is clearly doing its job just look at the rosin splatters.

When I put the same rosin in my dabstorm ceramic doughnut atomiser, it tastes amazing.

OK, as the Yocan has no variable voltage control, the dabstrom takes a lot longer to create vapour as I have it set low, but it tastes divine.

Is this a normal trade off when using coil atomisers, quick instant hard hitting rips that are close to smolking, but tastes like shit?

You should definitely be able to get nice, flavorful hits with the coil based atomizers including the Yocan, especially on the very first hit of each load. You should only load about enough for 2-3 hits at a time.

You are correct about the super fast heat up time on these QDC coils. For this reason, in order to maximize flavor we should only pulse for literally like 1-2 seconds. Continue drawing in between pulses to allow cool air to flow through the atty and cool down the oil.

How much are you loading? How long are you pulsing?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I'm putting in @ 0.1g - 0.2g, I'm pressing the button for less than a second, so I can't be burning the oil can I?

Perhaps some fibers as @Melting Pot suggest is what I'm tasting / smelling?

Or maybe I just am now hyper sensitive and simply prefer ceramic doughnut atomisers?

I was real careful with the new QDC as I had been using second press in my Yocan initially, so got a new coil, did some burn offs, put nice, clean, hot off the press rosin in and it tastes nasty?

Stuck the same rosin in a ceramic doughnut atomiser and it tastes yummy, yummy?

1DMF,

waxdab23

I think you are loading too much.

Give the coil a hot ISO bath and start fresh.

Load a tiny bit, the size of a grain of rice. Less than 0.1g.

Pulse as I described.

It tastes great honestly, especially that first hit. The second and third hits are decent but shouldn't really taste burnt unless you are pulsing too long. After the third hit at most, it should be time to reload.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

Heat chases oil away, and your wire is getting extremely hot, extremely fast. That's why the rosin splatters away instead of being gently and tastefully vaporized.
Some other coil atomizers might be designed to heat gently and deliver awesome flavor instead of heat instantly to deliver superbighot Clouds. You don't have to use high amounts of heat levels to deliver an off taste. Quartz can't wick or absorb oils, so the oils get chased away quickly, and the wires must heat even more to vaporize oils that have been trying to run away from it. When you put a wicking material inside the coil and draw air across, it, you can use a lower temperature at the wire, delivering better flavor.

SamuraiSam,
Reactions: 1DMF

Justpassedu

Weird mine always taste quite nice using the qdc's .Although I have not had the chance to try it with rosin, only wax & shatter. I ordered the ceramic coils the other day to try out. I have soaked my coils in ISO when they get really dirty with no ill effect, maybe give them a soak. You can always put it on my mod box and lower the wattage to see how that works .

Top Bottom