Budget solutions to make rosin.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Dabpress often sell refurbished units on eBay that are worth keeping an eye out for, in the meantime, a hair straightener will get you wanting more.

Sand paper could remove the polish,
Or get a K type thermometer and a decent shaft probe for under $10 that will also read a lot higher than most cheap IR guns so handy for dabbers to play with too.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I have realised i have not even tried rosin yet! Although i have had live resin before, and i really like that.

So before investing in anything, i am gonna try the hair straightner method. Do you just go as high temp as possible?

If i do get on with rosin - i might get a press. Liking the rosin tech go because of its compact size.

Any comment on the rosin tech go?

ginolicious

I have realised i have not even tried rosin yet! Although i have had live resin before, and i really like that.

So before investing in anything, i am gonna try the hair straightner method. Do you just go as high temp as possible?

If i do get on with rosin - i might get a press. Liking the rosin tech go because of its compact size.

Any comment on the rosin tech go?

I do not go as hot as possible. I usually go to mid level heat. Maybe someone else can chime in if it’s right or wrong.

ginolicious,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Do you just go as high temp as possible?

heavens no! That would put you in vaporizer territory, many of these get over 400F!

It really depends on your straightener - most of them have a low setting higher than you really want for rosin, an old trick was to let it heat up and then turn it off and press the flower while it's cooling down.

I prefer a little more simplicity so I did a bit of due diligence and started with this, it goes all the way down to 170F. I recommend 200-220F for flower rosin, maybe a little higher like 230-240F since you won't have the same type of pressure as a full blown press.

https://www.amazon.com/KIPOZI-Professional-Titanium-Straightener-Digital/dp/B01M14RI79?th=1

You can pair that with a 600lb trigger clamp and get some solid results. Whole nugs, no grinding, wouldn't suggest more than 1g at a time with this type of setup. .5g might even be better. FYI the collection process is a bit slow and tedious with these tiny hair straightener presses.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I got the same Kipozi hair straightener that @invertedisdead recommended awhile back and wasn’t extremely successful. I think I really need to get a clamp and give it a better effort (really only tried twice with little reward.)
Which clamp would be better? Can I go the cheap route with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWHT8...0+lb+trigger+clamp&qid=1568385089&s=hi&sr=1-1

Or for $13 more, should I get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/IRWINQUICK-G...0+lb+trigger+clamp&qid=1568385089&s=hi&sr=1-4

Or do I really need to spend money on a more expensive one, and if so, any suggestions?

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Jill NYC it’s the pounds of pressure that matters, the Irwin you linked to has 600 lbs of sustained pressure while the first dewalt link doesn’t have a rating listed as far as I could see. It’s probably fine to clamp two pieces of wood while the glue dries but not nearly enough oomph for our requirements. I think it’s the Irwin 800-lb clamp I’ve seen recommended but perhaps the 600-lbs would work? Idk but I do know that pressure is more of a factor than heat when squishing.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Jill NYC it’s the pounds of pressure that matters, the Irwin you linked to has 600 lbs of sustained pressure while the first dewalt link doesn’t have a rating listed as far as I could see. It’s probably fine to clamp two pieces of wood while the glue dries but not nearly enough oomph for our requirements. I think it’s the Irwin 800-lb clamp I’ve seen recommended but perhaps the 600-lbs would work? Idk but I do know that pressure is more of a factor than heat when squishing.
Thanks @pxl_jockey - @invertedisdead mentioned above that 600 lb is sufficient. I am good with going for more pressure if it makes thing easier/better.
Is there such a thing as too much pressure? Meaning, if I went higher, is there a chance I could break the hair straightener?

ginolicious

Thanks @pxl_jockey - @invertedisdead mentioned above that 600 lb is sufficient. I am good with going for more pressure if it makes thing easier/better.
Is there such a thing as too much pressure? Meaning, if I went higher, is there a chance I could break the hair straightener?

I imagine more pressure would break the hair straightener.

There is another solution. However, to keep it cheap, you need some kind of press. If you already have some kind of press, it's not difficult, or expensive to make a set of heated plates.

It's too much of a pain in the ass to post pics here but I have done a half dozen DIY presses before buying my first DabPress.

Search eBay (or Amazon) for "cartridge heaters". Learn about them and how their wattage relates to temperature. Then search "aluminum stock" and you'll see a zillion sizes and shapes. Get something about 1" thick and as big around (or square) as you want.

The heaters are a direct connect. I just used lamp cords. I plugged them all into a power strip and put the power strip on a rheostat. Drill holes in the aluminum, slip in the heaters. Bingo, you have a set of heated plates..... all for about 80 bux or less.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

When I made my DIY press the 600 lb trigger clamp was the most PSI available. If you Do a google search for "HMK rosin press" you'll see tons of people who made something similar.

800 pounds would be better if that's available, but yes you alway run the risk of breaking the straightener, its why I can really only suggest this method as a proof of concept, it won't last forever but it's a good prooving ground.

If you had an affinity with tinkering you could mount the straightener platens/heating elements in some box tubing and make a pretty decent bench vise press, it's more work to apply and release pressure in that kind of setup than a standard Dabpress with hydraulics though.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I think your 800-pound job will work better as the actual pressure depends on your strength, the 800 might be easier to get more pressure without maxing it out. I used a hair straightener in a 1 ton vice done up hard and never broke my cheap Chinese straightener, flexed the plastic about but never broke it.:2c:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Jill NYC

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I have been thinking about this long and hard. After much back and forth i have settled on an idea. Kipozi hair straitners and this vice.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331920249902

I am thinking of removing the plates from the straitners and extending the cables to fit in the vice.

Anyone see any problems with this idea? Any hints or tips?

If this does not workout i could always use the vice for a slug.

oddjobold,

Bumping Spheda

I have been thinking about this long and hard. After much back and forth i have settled on an idea. Kipozi hair straitners and this vice.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331920249902

I am thinking of removing the plates from the straitners and extending the cables to fit in the vice.

Anyone see any problems with this idea? Any hints or tips?

If this does not workout i could always use the vice for a slug.
The heating plates wouldn't be insulated from the vice, right? Heating plates will bleed into vice and not reach temp. Better to leave heating plates in the frame, imho.

Also, that vice is hella expensive. Something like this will work fine, imo, just find one in your country at local hardware store:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inc...JeS_NONfGiAtzvsZSoXWi4hTWdY20dicaAlLzEALw_wcB

You could use a couple small blocks of wood to sandwich the Kipozi so the C-clamp doesn't crack the plastic frame, or whatever. I don't have a Kipozi so I don't know how durable they are.

Bumping Spheda,

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Great thread here! Of course there is upsides and downside to all methods. The Slug.33 does not have to be one's final choice, it can be just one option to add to your tool box. There are specific advantages to an electric press for sure like being able to press bubble hash witch the Slug.33 cannot do. The Slug.33 is a speciality tool designed for flower extractions only, this can be considered one of its downsides for sure. Upsides are obvious in that it will never ever break or need repair unlike all electric options. Size, ease of use and price can also be a plus. In the end, unless you are totally biased,( as I am ) having a gas operated flower to rosin extractor in one's tool kit is always a nice option for obvious reasons. PEACE

Nattybushdoctor,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Sounds like you purchased a Slug.33 and was not able to get it to work for you? I can only assume going off your " I should have listened " comment. ?

Nattybushdoctor,
Reactions: Summer

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
@Nattybushdoctor ~ I am a LONG time owner of a Slug and really want to thank you for starting me on my journey. I was able to get some good presses with mine, and it started me on the road of Rosin. Now, my Slug is passed around to various friends so they too can experiment and learn if Rosin is for them.

Your Slug is such a good value and so inexpensive, I recommend it for those unsure about committing to a larger press.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
@Nattybushdoctor ~ I am a LONG time owner of a Slug and really want to thank you for starting me on my journey. I was able to get some good presses with mine, and it started me on the road of Rosin. Now, my Slug is passed around to various friends so they too can experiment and learn if Rosin is for them.

Your Slug is such a good value and so inexpensive, I recommend it for those unsure about committing to a larger press.
Thank you, I am glad to hear this! Passed around to various friends is indeed an upside!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Sounds like you purchased a Slug.33 and was not able to get it to work for you? I can only assume going off your " I should have listened " comment. ?
Now I know why you are dissatisfied, you bought the counterfeit one from the loser in the UK. I am sorry you did that. Just the look alone should have put up a red flag, that thing looks like it was made by a six grader. I wish you luck finding your path to rosin.

Nattybushdoctor,
Top Bottom