Brilliant Cut Grinder

MoltenTiger

Not feeling the name so much.
But everything else is really looking perfect. And the scope is brilliant. I am sold. I’d really like to see some pics of the Emerald green finish.

I think the name 'Stona' is a bit disingenuous, it’s a derogatory term in many parts and the shortening with the -er to -a is tacky.
Given the pattern shaped into the top and how incredibly on point the design is, I think the name 'The Brilliant Cut Grinder' or some variant like that would be apt.
I also think 'The Gemstone Grinder' or similar is decent, and would work well with the anodised finishes being stylised to sapphire blue, emerald green, ruby red, yellow tanzanite, deep-purple amethyst, etc.

This grinder needs to come in a larger size ideally. 65mm would be a great diameter, with an extra row of teeth and through-holes. I say this without using it, but I would like a larger grinder. Small grinders are a pain and with no real benefit.

I am already sold though, this is going to be a sweet product. I think a new name competition and giveaway would be a good move, exposure on r/vaporents is going to yield lucrative results, with the dynavap cap remover too.

I’m interested with the brilliant cut faces how they sit on a table surface. Do they roll around much, is this advantageous for leverage and access to the herb chamber? How annoying is that post in there (another reason I think a larger diameter would be ideal)..?

Is it really best to have a flush surface without a knurled edge for grip? Even for the lid? Having the extra torque from the lower chamber section is magnificent.
Not to mention the magnet-squeegee!

Where do I pre-order?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I think the name 'Stona' is a bit disingenuous, it’s a derogatory term in many parts and the shortening with the -er to -a is tacky.

Hmmm...I just thought that the name "Stona" sounded like a desert town in someplace like Arizona or New Mexico (USA). I just assumed it was a name that had some other personal meaning to the people that make this grinder.

I hadn't even mentally connected it to the phonetic similarity of the sound of the word "stoner", which is normally used as a pejorative insult towards people who use cannabis in my neck of the woods.

MoltenTiger

Hmmm...I just thought that the name "Stona" sounded like a desert town in someplace like Arizona or New Mexico (USA). I just assumed it was a name that had some other personal meaning to the people that make this grinder.

I hadn't even mentally connected it to the phonetic similarity of the sound of the word "stoner", which is normally used as a pejorative insult towards people who use cannabis in my neck of the woods.
Yeah I don’t hate the name, but in my broad Australian accent, I don’t love it

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@stonaGrinders , yep thats a good place for branding!
And would be really great if you get a solution for mixing the parts.

What are the current measures? Was alreaady told for sure but can't find it at once.

Still there is an open question regarding dishwasher safety of the used alum resp. anodization.

lazylathe

Almost there...
@stonaGrinders , yep thats a good place for branding!
And would be really great if you get a solution for mixing the parts.

What are the current measures? Was alreaady told for sure but can't find it at once.

Still there is an open question regarding dishwasher safety of the used alum resp. anodization.

Mine measures in at:
55mm wide
40mm high
Weight is around 150 to 155 grams

Sorry for those imperial people out there...

stonaGrinders

Grinder Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Mine measures in at:
55mm wide
40mm high
Weight is around 150 to 155 grams

Sorry for those imperial people out there...

2.2" wide
1.71" high
Weight is around 5.3 ounces

Any anodized surface is subject to attack from the strong caustic detergents that might be used in a dishwasher. Just like most anodized aluminium cookware, we don't recommend putting the grinder in the dishwasher. The harsh alkaline detergents can dissolve the anodized coating on the grinder.

Also, the magnets that are used in grinders don't like extreme heats. The neodymium grade N magnets that are used in all grinders actually permanently lose some of their strength when subjected to temperatures above 80c, so we don't recommend boiling the grinder either to clean it. Some dishwashers can also clean above that temperature.

The best way to clean it is with an isopropanol soak and a quick brush with a toothbrush.

Since the grinder doesn't start jamming when it gets dirty, we've found that we didn't have to clean it to maintain functionality. It doesn't need to cleaned nearly as often.

Last edited:

stonaGrinders

Grinder Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@stonaGrinders - Would you care to comment on the recent name change and what it means to you? I'm curious.

We will most likely change the name again. There is simply too much negative feedback for us to move forward with it.

We aren't too attached to the name "Stona" and we don't like the negative connotation that it carries.

We are leaning towards "the Brilliant Cut Grinder". What do you guys think? It's suiting because the geometry on the top and bottom faces is a modified brilliant cut. It can also refer to the grind quality, which is brilliant as well.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I like BC (or B.C.) Grinder
It's easy to remember, and it refers to "Brilliant Cut", and where it's made.

I do notice though (when goggling "BC Grinder) that there's a Canadian Vapor store called "BC Vapor", and they might cause problems with the name BC Grinder.

lazylathe

Almost there...
That's a great idea @lazylathe!

Thanks!
Keeps it local and that is awesome!!

Since it has facets that cause the bevels, why not use a synonym of facet?
Phase grinder.
Also works due to the various teeth and phases the herb will move through when being ground.

And looking for Brilliant synonyms comes up with Lucent, having a glowing or shining in appearance.

I still like the BC Grinder!!

seriousTone

We will most likely change the name again. There is simply too much negative feedback for us to move forward with it.

We aren't too attached to the name "Stona" and we don't like the negative connotation that it carries.

We are leaning towards "the Brilliant Cut Grinder". What do you guys think? It's suiting because the geometry on the top and bottom faces is a modified brilliant cut. It can also refer to the grind quality, which is brilliant as well.
What about your username now though haha?

Summer

Long Island, NY
.I just thought that the name "Stona" sounded like a desert town in someplace like Arizona or New Mexico (USA).

:lol:

@lazylathe, if you're calling it Phase because of the facets, why not the Facet Grinder? ;)

I like Brilliant Cut & BC, too.

But in all seriousness, the name should be whatever the mfr. likes as it's their baby.

Although I'm jumping the gun, I just want to mention that you might want to consider some type of grips on the side of the top & bottom. Here's pic of a no-name, $20, well-reviewed, Amazon grinder showing the shallow (in depth), 4mm vertical gripping indentations. Although I think they should be at least 6mm in length, they do a very good job. BTW, this is an anodized rainbow metal zinc alloy grinder.

https://ibb.co/album/n1nb1F *Click on 1st pic to enlarge.

Last edited:

szai

:lol:

@lazylathe, if you're calling it Phase because of the facets, why not the Facet Grinder? ;)

I like Brilliant Cut & BC, too.

But in all seriousness, the name should be what the mfr. likes as it's their baby.

Although I'm jumping the gun, I just want to mention that you might want to consider some type of grips on the side of the top & bottom. Here's pic of a no-name, $20, well-reviewed, Amazon grinder showing the shallow (in depth), 4mm vertical gripping indentations. Although I think they should be at least 6mm in length, they do a very good job.

https://ibb.co/album/n1nb1F *Click on 1st pic to enlarge.

They didn't like facet grind

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Summer

I searched for synonyms of Facet and one of the better options was Phase, another word for Facet.
I do not like the ring of Facet grinder at all, sounds too harsh on the ears.
I have to agree with you though, as I have said from the start it is the manufacturers choice unless put up for a poll.

As for the knurling you are asking about, I do not really see the need for it.
I like the NV Arm-Band grinder, it was my idea but I do not like the way it was done...
So far I have had no issues grinding rock hard buds or sticky buds.
My hands are usually quite painful with arthritis and this grinder does not bother them too much.
The knurling on my Kannstor would actually rip my skin if I was not careful at times.

What I would prefer over knurling is possibly the name of the grinder, machined to cover the 3 parts!
They only line up one way and it would be something to do while being super medicated!!
Man I come up with some interesting ideas when medicated!!

And now for an update of the BC Grinder Beta 1!
Since the last cleaning and assembling it using the correct parts, it has not been cleaned and the same herb has been ground up with it.
Again the herb ranges from bone dry to spongy and super sticky!
No ring of resin anymore!!

2efor5v.jpg

This is after I brushed it out lightly. still grinds super smooth without any jams!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
No ring of resin anymore!!

Wooohooo :party:

That's looking much better.

So would you be able to try another test @lazylathe?

I'm curious if the magnet for the bottom herb tray would hold in the event of a fall. I thinking if the grinder was knocked off a table top and hit the floor would the herb tray pop away from the body spilling herb or does it hold together.

So while your herb tray is empty (don't want to be responsible for wasting your herb) would you mind doing one or two drop tests and reporting back?

Thanks bud.

Top Bottom