Brilliant Cut Grinder

Spelaeus

As for our name, we are taking your feedback seriously. We'll think about it some more. Lately, we've been focusing mostly on making this product perfect. It's still a work in progress, but we are getting closer to launching. We wanted to somehow associate it with gemstones. Another alternative was "The Gema Grinder", but we didn't like the sound of it. The meaning was great though. Etymology - Latin gemma "precious stone, jewel", originally "bud". In the end, the decision will be only as good as the alternatives, so we would love to hear your suggestions.

Just spitballing, but if you want something gemstone related, I kind of like the Luster grinder given the looks. Or the Petra if you want the "stone" wordplay without being so on the nose. Considered Petro, but to me that's a gas station chain while Petra only really shares a name with the ancient capital of the Nabataean kingdom.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I'm not keen on Luster. Just looked up synonyms for diamond & like:

Brilliant Grinder - what I originally suggested
Black Diamond Grinder - doesn't matter if other colors are offered as the intent is understood.
Gem Grinder
Sparkler Grinder

I also like Zenith - the time at which something is most powerful or successful. This seems to be appropriate for a new product. Nobody's asking :p, but my vote's for this, Black Diamond or Brilliant. I think they all sound sophisticated. & I like the play on words with Brilliant & Zenith.

Anyway, I think you should offer the grinder in black also. Black, silver, & blue are the most popular grinder colors; with blue being the most popular anodized finish. That's the color that's always sold out. Later on you can always add emerald, purple, gold, red & pink.

OK, just took a timeout daydreaming. :D

Edited to add:
Does the lid's diamond cut in any way assist in the palm grip while grinding or is it merely aesthetics? All my grinders have smooth/flat lid sides, so would some type of a grip like the Pheonician's gear grip or the knurled 420 edu provide an enhancement to the design? @lazylathe, you can chime in on answering this ? since you've been using it.

Last edited:

szai

Well, if the mfr. likes more than one name, he can always create a poll. :popcorn:
It's not that at all I already suggested the name to him. It's an internal business matter at to what the name finally ends up being. I just wanted to get feedback on my name suggestion.

szai,
Reactions: Summer

antispleen

Company Rep
Company Rep
Fwiw, my vote goes with Stona. It sounds high end to me. Thrilled to be part of the testing for this potentially awesome new grinder. And I'm gonna drive all over this legal state trying to find the stickiest, most challenging herb for this baby. Unjammable? Challenge accepted :cool:

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Alright! Now we have the manufacturer in here, now I'm stoked. Think is gonna be awesome now that we have some fc members and the manufacturer collaborating. Great news. Definitely itching to get my hands one of these, so I'll be checking the feedback from the reviewers

Alexis

Guys, I have a name- well more of a title actually: "Ladies and gentlemen, we bring you:
"The @lazylathe 's Brother's Grinder". :rofl:

Sorry Lazy I couldn't resist the opportunity to inject a bit of humour as I seek to motivate myself through my shower and steam shortly.

Hold in there bro I wanna reply to your last pm just has been mega hard week. Automania bruv, total focus on optimimum harvest now. Got a heat wave til wednesday and the next 2 big ladies are just about peak so we gotta make a call to draw a medium between optimum and starting the dry in Scorchio!:cool:

Sorry bro Im spamming your thread. I would definitely like one of these "brother" grinders btw but too much expense with ship and VAT to here when I just bought the Gr8tr. But maybe in time, for now though: :popcorn:

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Summer

The shapes milled into the lid and lower section do add a lot of grip when grinding. If you use your palms it increases a lot.

Not having a flat top makes this grinder a pleasure to use.
No knurling that can dig into your girlfriend gets as my SCD sometimes did.

My name idea was Paragon Grinder.
Also related to diamonds in that it is perfect in every way.

szai

@Summer

The shapes milled into the lid and lower section do add a lot of grip when grinding. If you use your palms it increases a lot.

Not having a flat top makes this grinder a pleasure to use.
No knurling that can dig into your girlfriend gets as my SCD sometimes did.

My name idea was Paragon Grinder.
Also related to diamonds in that it is perfect in every way.

I like your name I'm a huge mass effect game series fan and the good guy is called a Paragon in it as a you if you play as a good guy.

Last edited:

LabPong

If there was a black/gray/Ti colored metal....I'm down with that. Otherwise....silver metal without coloring is fine. I just do not want anything that will eventually wear/change after time.

Also, I do not understand all the back and forth about naming this grinder. I would rather see more action about it physically and its performance abilities.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Unfortunately @LapPong, the silver color is anodized & they aren't offering an unanodized aluminum one. At least not yet. I love the sapphire, but I would choose an untreated one if offered. Hey, if this is a success, they may offer it in ss down the road.

Also, I do not understand all the back and forth about naming this grinder.

Where's you're funny bone hiding today? :cool: We're just having some fun while we're waiting ... for the release. ;)

Last edited:

LabPong

Is your anodization just for colours or is there any practical benefit?
Is it possible to use a clear anodization?

Yes, good question Hogni. I am unsure of a clear anodized finish, but that would be nice if possible.

I would also like to know what the most healthy finish would be? Obviously if it was SS or even Ti ...then I would not worry so much about it.

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Alexis, better manic than depressive :wave:

EDIT:

What kind of alu is it and what's the reason for it's use.

A lot of the info is in the thread already.
It is on page 1:
Materials used are:
7075 T651 Aluminum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy
This is an expensive AL alloy that has strength comparable to many steels.
Mostly used in the aircraft industry.

Anodizing bonds to the oxide layer and just creates an extra tough surface that is bonded to the metal.
I am sure there should be clear options available but am unsure if they will be offered yet.

Here is a cool article to read about why to anodize aluminum.
https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/company/blog/blogentry/why-anodizing-after-milling-is-important/

stonaGrinders

Grinder Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Looking very interesting. :tup:
I wonder where this "ring" of contaminants is coming from? Any idea? Should the second row of teeth on the lid be slightly beveled maybe?

We have tried bevels on the top of the teeth, but they actually negatively affected the quality of the grind. It might be worth another prototype though, because we've made so many changes since we tried this.

With the current spacing between the floor and teeth and with the current bevel on the teeth, we haven't felt any binding or restriction from any buildup that has occurred.

I'm sure you guys know, but the main place where binding and stickiness occurs on traditional grinders is on the outside rim that constrains the radial movement between the grinding plates. We've eliminated that interface and in our grinder the radial movement is constrained by the center cylinder on the middle part and the inner teeth on the top part. We'll describe this more fully on the website. Buildup does occur in the center region but it doesn't affect the feel. The grinder stays smooth. This was the first problem we solved and was main reason why we started the company. The original goal was to eliminate that annoying stickiness and jamming completely and we feel like we achieved that. It wasn't easy though and took like 15-20 prototypes.

qs11cg.jpg

@Alexis, better manic than depressive :wave:

EDIT:

What kind of alu is it and what's the reason for it's use.

It's 7075 aluminium. We chose it because it is way stronger and harder than 6061 aluminium, which is what the other companies usually use. 7075 doesn't dent as easily and doesn't wear nearly as fast. We didn't want teeth bending and we wanted the quick connect mechanism to last. You can clank the grinder parts together to empty it without having to worry about denting.

Anodizing aluminium increases the hardness of the surface and protects the surface from corrosion. It becomes more scratch resistant. Anodizing creates a thin layer of aluminium oxide, which is usually between 10-25 micron. The aluminium oxide layer has a pore structure that dye can go into. You can only dye anodized aluminium.

Anodizing is an electrochemical process. You put the workpiece in a bath of diluted sulfuric acid and run an electric current through it. It creates a controlled corrosion on the surface of the aluminium.

We've tried clear and it didn't look that great. We'll try grey pretty soon and see how that turns out. We were going to offer a raw version, but decided against it. It wouldn't be as good.

7075 has a bronze or yellow tinge to it when anodized clear. Here is what clear looks like:

24xl2fn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

seriousTone

Ohh an emerald green grinder sounds super nice. I’m excited to see that one. Speaking of bronze, now that would be a sweet grinder color...in my opinion.

How about the stone cold grinder :wave:

How aboutttt....

Top Bottom