Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Don't give a shit

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • What's the EU

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was being sarcastic sorry but yes the money doesn't disappear, it's settles favourably in someone else's pocket...
No, in this case quite a sizable amount of it does indeed disappear i'm afraid.
And since the bankers and buiding societies have to keep up some standards of course(wouldn't want to be seen driving around in a skoda or something or be forced to give less rounds at the golfclub etc.) , most, if not all, i highly suspect will come from the pockets of their clients.
No a lot of sarcasm there sadly.

°k

The sound of vapor
I've already adventured myself on a political slippery slope by posting on this thread and regret it, I'll avoid discussing finance with you I think.

°k,
Reactions: 1DMF

woolspinner

As someone from the USA, I have been watching with a bit of confusion. I have no idea what Europe was like before the EU. I remember a time before the Euro (my many petitions for changes to who is depicted on our currency usually involves references to Italy's use of scientists and artists on the lire ).
I guess it seems to me similar and yet dissimilar to a state seceding from the Union a la 1861. However, our Union of states was built from the outset rather than fashioned from strong independent member states coming together, which is the dissimilarity.
I guess Britain and Wales just do not see more pros than cons.

I wonder if there will be a new movement in Northern Ireland to become fully independent? It looks like they voted to stay in the EU from the map. Is that desire strong enough to spur an independence movement of their own?

I believe things will stabilize, but do not know if the U.K. will be as powerful on their own as they were as one of the strongest members of the EU.
I hope things stabilize soon. I hope everything works out for everyone. I definitely respect the decision made by the narrow majority. That it was so narrow...for such a big decision...

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
K I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I see that Scotland voted no. I know nothing about UK politics. Didn't mean to offend.

°k

The sound of vapor
K I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I see that Scotland voted no. I know nothing about UK politics. Didn't mean to offend.
No offence at all @CarolKing, from your side at least. I on the contrary should have realized that Europe specifics are not really a point of focus for you guys in the US and it's not that obvious for everyone outside Europe that all the members of the UK are still using the Sterling pound (£), sorry about that. :)

CarolKing

I would be worried if Trump thinks it's a good thing because he's an idiot. He was saying how great he thought it was. Can anybody afford to go to his golf coarse? Probably only the higher income folks.

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I would be worried if Trump thinks it's a good thing because he's an idiot. He was saying how great he thought it was. Can anybody afford to go to his golf coarse? Probably only the higher income folks.

This is perfect logic and works for me.

:tup:

If Trump or Boris think it's a good idea you can be pretty sure that it is not.

h3rbalist,

peterpiper

(peter-ex-piper)
I can't believe Nicolas turgen was chosen to try to convince us to stay in the EU
Eddie Izzard and Bob geldof certainly helped the brexit fucking idiots
I won't even start on sadiq Khan

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I didn't and have never voted. The ballot paper doesn't have a 'vote of no confidence' or 'none of the above' box. I got moaned at by friends that by not voting for Blair I was voting for Major.
To which my answer was and is now 'The people in power don't give a flying fuk about the likes of me or you. It doesn't matter which party it is they look after each other. My life will more or less still be the same'. Years later he told me he understood my stance and felt the same way.

I don't know the answer was it a good thing or not? So here is how I see it after a few days to think and a quick 0.025g VC hit.

We've left Europe, the country voted, the total dick in number 10 needs to man up and see his part thru as the 'democratically elected leader' and do his utmost to make a start on what happens next. He should have, as should Corbyn, stepped back and let the rest of them sort it out. He had to do what he was elected to do which is 'supposed' to be follow the will of the people. He should not have shown any bias. Difficult to do but called for. That way he couldn't 'run away' after he'd pissed his pants at the prospect of what he now has to do. IMO he will leave a shit storm for some poor mug to clear up.

De Ja fukin Vu Mr Major.

Which leads to some other poor mug.
Mr Corbyn's face has dropped since the vote. He is under some pressure now. He had to follow the will of the party. No matter where his heart was. I feel he's been set up. A fall guy. Make the CND, tree hugging lefty look like an idiot and get another toffee nosed oik who's daddy paid for his education in. Jobs for the boys. He needs to pull his finger out.

It's all led to some major back peddling from another 'democratically elected leader'. Before the vote Obama backed the dick and told of the impending doom. Scaremongering. Now perhaps he's been told by an 'advisor' to ease off a bit. A lot of people may lose a lot of money. Which they may but a few will have made a shit load more.

I'm surprised they even allowed the vote to go ahead. We didn't get a say on us having the Euro as the general public were deemed not to be bright enough to make an informed decision.

A woman from Sheffield said she voted 'out' as jobs where being lost to immigrants as she got her nails done by one. I would have rubbed her fingers clean, given her money back and told her to fuk off.
Another guy said he was now scared after casting his 'leave' vote. WTF.

Boston, Lincolnshire, either 70 or 80% voted leave. I wonder which ones, the less than 50% locals or all the others who've rejuvenated what was a sad little excuse for a once prosperous market town. If the Eastern block people hadn't moved in the local hospital would have shut down. Now tell me about waiting lists at the doctors. The town is busy, shops are full, all be it a lot of Polish shops but none the less these people spend money if the locals haven't got what it takes then they have. I've spoken to a few and they don't want to be here 100's of miles away from home but the need to earn money and a better life for them and their kids has driven it.
I don't know how I feel on it but borders need to be secure. We have enough problems with homegrown criminal activities and because we have no control we have other criminal gangs whose lingo we don't understand operating here and across mainland Europe. This is not good.

The only way for a proper European State to work is if we all earned equivalent wages and paid the same taxes. A doctor should be paid the same no matter where he lives in Europe that way he doesn't leave his home country needing more doctors. The same goes for any job.

A worker in a distillery in Scotland shouldn't be paying more for the product he produces on his door step than he does if he goes for a jolly to France.

This country is in a shit state and I really have no idea as to how it can be sorted out without a very radical step towards proper democracy and a good standard of living and health care for everyone.

Where was the European Rights Act when the government cut disabled benefits. Or the elderly who've seen real hardship during WW2 dying in the cold because it's too expensive to keep warm. WTF is rent capping and the bedroom tax. Food banks and families living in B&B's. The NHS. It's 2016 FFS.

Democracy that's a joke. I heard that somehow they can overturn the vote. If that's the case then we are fukd. Good and proper.

It's going to be fun watching them sort this out. The country won't collapse. The rest of the world has trade agreements with Europe and so will we. We can remain in the Common Market, Norway manages. The countries UK people holiday in need the tourist money they spend after all their fukd as well. It will probably put duty free beer and ciggies up in price, but still less than you'd pay here.

@HD Springer good to hear from you buddy hope this helps. I was just editing this for the multiple F bombs when I got that.
As you know Scotland is very close to my heart and I don't know what to think for them. I reckon apathy will set in they've voted for a lot of stuff recently. I'm sure I heard 3 lots of voting in the last 18 months. They don't want to be Governed by London but Brussels is okay??

CarolKing

On the U.S news it says that some folks are signing a petition to vote over again. Is this something that may happen?

CarolKing,

peterpiper

(peter-ex-piper)
They can't have another vote it would go against democracy
We voted out, we are out
Thank God
Nicola is an idiot Scotland voted to stay in Europe as part of the U.K. not as a seperate country
I don't mind Scotland going it alone and I'm happy to give northern Ireland back to Ireland or have Ireland join us
I'm half Irish by the way

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
What I find offensive is how so many people are seemingly against democracy when results are different to what you want (this is from my various newsfeeds not this thread). There was a vote & more voted to leave than to stay. Suck it up, have a cup of cement & harden the fuck up UK. Europe seems to be a place where the UK & Northern Europe/Scandanavia subsidize Eastern Europe & the Mediterranean nations.

It could be an overly simplistic viewpoint but that is the way I see it & now the burden falls squarely on Germany to pick up the tab. Hofer picked up 49.7% of the round 2 vote in the 2016 Austrian election & he is a true blue fucking Nazi! A small swing would have left him president of Austria & the Germanic countries are a potential powderkeg of growing resentment towards dependent countries.

I am Australian & it is my patriotic duty to hate England in a semi serious way (unless sport related & then it is very real). Whatever happened to the spirit of Sir Francis Drake? Was it shown in boldly striking out & freeing the UK from the "one Europe" yoke? I think it did show it is not dead & will inspire other strong, stable nations to follow suit.

Whether it is a good or bad idea remains to be seen but democracy is beautiful even when it is ugly.......

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I'm Scots and have the same attitude as yourself @Stevenski.
The English show support for Scotland when it's down to sports but be fukd if the Scots support England.

The people voted and the government need to knuckle down and see it thru.

Scaremongering and blatant lies, over embellishment of the truth and quoting shit that just couldn't be substantiated, as the fukwit Farage did about the NHS and Obama did about the impending doom, has confused the shit out of the general public.

IMO this country needs to fuk the royal family off. They got where they are thru tyranny and dictatorship something which others are freely happy to invade countries for. Sorry to any Royalist's here but other than a tourist attraction the royal family play no part in my life. They should be made to give back what their ancestors took thru force and oppression.

MP's and their immediate families should not be allowed to earn money out side of their parliamentary duties. Their 'perks' need to stop.
The likes of Starbucks and the others should be either forced to pay what they owe in taxes or shut them down. Then perhaps the disabled and elderly can live a decent life rather than be forced to simple survive.

Accountability is the thing which should be called for. We have no idea how much money the government has wasted on failed projects.
If I fuk up at work it's my fault, I hold my hand up and take the flack and I rectify the situation.
People at the top end fuk up multi billion pound projects which never see the light of day and are swept under the carpet and no one is made accountable.

The IT sector as an example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_failed_and_overbudget_custom_software_projects

These are the ones we know about I hate to think what the true figures are.

And a better system for political decisions should be implemented immediately. You only have to watch the wankers bickering in parliament to understand the system is pathetic. We need to stand together as a nation and do what is best for us as a whole.

This country is far from United and hasn't been Great for a long time.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Wow a lot of interesting and mixed views.

I would like to point out that no one I know of said "I'm (insert nationality) , not European, Fuck Europe".

How would USA like joining an "American Union" which included all North and South American countries, where the headquarters was in Cuba and Cubans made laws that governed USA citizens, by politicians that were never elected while handing over to Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Columbia etc, bucket loads of money!

If I recall the last time another country tried to tell USA what to do and unfairly tax them, they started a war and now call 4th of July independence day! All we did was draw crosses on bits of paper and the whole world has gone to shit!

Why can't we have a peaceful Europe, that we trade with, with-out giving up sovereignty?

As for trading.. I just had to pay £135.94 import duty on my heat-press because it came from outside the EU and is currently stuck in customs. Hopefully I will be able to trade outside EU without these ridiculous tariffs in the future.

My car is Korean, my T.V. is Korean, my computer is American, my vape is American & Canadian, most of my clothes and other stuff is made in China, my heat-press is Chinese... in fact the only items I can think of I buy that is European is some food from Aldi & Lidl, not a reason for me to want to vote to stay.

Also every young person I have spoken to, because I have heard all the stories that the youth voted to stay... not one of the youngsters I have spoken to voted remain... so again the press trying to make a young vs old divide is wrong and they need to stop this BS propaganda.

As for Scotland, if they think they can negotiate a deal on their own with Europe, good luck to them, it would be a shame to see Scotland leave with such a deep and rich history in the UK, but if that's what they want. The same goes for Ireland, the last thing we want is the USA funding bombs in England's bins again, I thought we had put all this behind us, and this worries me more than anything else, if Brexit causes the IRA to kick off again.

I had a friend who came from Belfast, I made the mistake once of calling him Irish, wow, I've never seen someone so upset with someone getting their Nationality wrong, "I'm British, NOT Irish" he screamed at me...crikey, I know Canadians can get a bit miffed when us Brits ask if they are American, because we struggle with differentiating the accent, but seriously, don't call someone from Northern Ireland, Irish, unless they are nationalists!

I do feel for those such as @CarolKing who has lost money from pension pots because of a vote the other-side of the world. Surely no-one expected the UK to cast their vote caring about how someone's pension pot in USA might be affected, it's nice to see some still actually have a pension, because I don't!

The loss is because the financial sector is corrupt to the core and the stock market deals in misery to make money, just like the crash in 2007 where some people made billions off the back of others misery, until the system is changed, this is going to continue, that's not the fault of the UK for voting to leave the EU.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
As for trading.. I just had to pay £135.94 import duty on my heat-press because it came from outside the EU and is currently stuck in customs. Hopefully I will be able to trade outside EU without these ridiculous tariffs in the future.

Why would that change? You will still have to pay import taxes, but now you will have to pay them as well for everything coming from EU, as you will no longer benefit from the common market.

in fact the only items I can think of I buy that is European is some food from Aldi & Lidl, not a reason for me to want to vote to stay.

According to this article data source, your country imports 27% of its food from EU. That's quite a significant amount: http://qz.com/716156/the-british-import-a-quarter-of-their-food-from-the-eu-and-thats-a-problem/

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Why would that change?
I was under the impression the UK wanted to make trade deals outside the EU, so with any luck that will make trading outside the EU cheaper. Of course there are no guarantees, as was the nature of the vote, but I'm going to stay positive until its proved otherwise.

As for food, UK hasn't been self sufficient for quite some time, something that needs to be looked at for sure. From what I have seen on TV most fishermen are happy to get UK waters back, whether farmers see this as a good thing who knows... I don't know the first thing about the agriculture and fisheries policies and how this is going to affect it. Looking at the voting map, most farm land in UK appears to have voted to leave, so one assumes they don't think it's an issue?

A satirical look at joining the EU in the first place...

Last edited:

Gray Area

The EU CAP paid UK farmers around £2.5 billion in 2015, and about 55% of UK income from farming comes from CAP support.... Where will this now come from? Whitehall??

The CAP is flawed for sure and there are def questions to be asked about how it's spent tbh, but still, that's a lot of cash that UK farmers won't be getting in the future...

Gray Area,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well Switzerland & Norway are outside of CAP and apparently provide even greater support to their farmers! So it is feasible that UK farmers will be better off leaving the EU and dropping CAP. That's for agricultural people to work out!

ReggieB

It's interesting to note that the leavers deny any racist views but we're seeing reports of lots of racist and xenophobic attacks related to brexit reported in the news now. Whilst a lot of people that voted leave aren't racist there are plenty that definitely are, without any shadow of a doubt, I unfortunately know a couple of racists that voted leave, I wonder how that plays out across the country?

I also don't understand the logic of 'wanting our democracy back' yet we will be governed by an unelected prime minister by October, in the meantime we will be lectured by brexit'rs who weren't elected to run this country telling us what we should be doing, I'm seeing lots of calls for unity now, funnily enough I don't feel inclined to realign my ideals with people I fundamentally disagree with and certainly didn't vote for, I wonder how others in the remain camp feel?

I also don't understand the logic of some leave campaigners telling me that the older generation fought a world war for our freedoms... Only those over the age of 86 fought in the 2nd world war, so most of the older generation DIDN'T fight for my freedoms.

I also wonder how we're going to extract ourselves from the EU without using experts, the leave side were apparently fed up with experts... The logic is astounding that they're now looking to people like the chancellor and the governor of the bank of england for advice and to steady the ship when 3 days ago their opinion meant very little.

The leave campaign are also wondering why the prime minister doesn't want to continue in his job and oversee the mess that they're creating... Nope, that job will be left squarely with the brexit camp who had all the answers before it really mattered but now it really matters don't have any answers on how to move things forwards and even if they did, most of them aren't in a position to do anything about it because they're... either unelected or not part of the government.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Whilst a lot of people that voted leave aren't racist there are plenty that definitely are, without any shadow of a doubt, I unfortunately know a couple of racists that voted leave, I wonder how that plays out across the country?
Yes, this is a dark side to the voting for sure, but that doesn't mean there aren't racists that voted to stay! Either way they are a small minority that do not speak for either camp.

I also don't understand the logic of 'wanting our democracy back' yet we will be governed by an unelected prime minister by October,
This isn't America, you don't vote for individuals, you vote for party policies, the leader of the party is irrelevant, that's for members of the party to decide, not the electorate? If you voted Tory, the Tories are still in and will be for another 4 years (unless they choose to call a general election early).

If anyone is voting for the leader of a party instead of what the party stands for and the policies of that party, they have misunderstood the UK voting system.

Only those over the age of 86 fought in the 2nd world war, so most of the older generation DIDN'T fight for my freedoms.
Does it matter which generation were the millions upon millions that died in the two world wars so we could be sitting here having this discussion? Never forget history if you never want it to be repeated.

Last edited:

peterpiper

(peter-ex-piper)
I'm amazed that the one thing neither camp raised, through fear of raising, was ISIS

One of the main reasons I chose to leave

I believe that the massive and sudden rise in immigration into Europe was orchestrated by them

lwien

The British government CAN overturn this whole thing regardless of the public vote, eh? They haven't yet signed off on it.

lwien,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I believe that the massive and sudden rise in immigration into Europe was orchestrated by them
Wow that is tin foil hat territory? Though I'm ruling nothing out, I saw something the other day that said Israel have openly come out in support of ISIS in Syria as they oppose Assad, I mean WTF!

The British government CAN overturn this whole thing regardless of the public vote, eh? They haven't yet signed off on it.
They could if they want a full scale riot on their hands, which could be worse than the poll tax riots in the 90's!

I don't think they could get away with it, unlike USA elections where they kept counting till Bush got the result he wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom