Boveda Packs......

rozroz

@rozroz LOL, Do you happen to live in the UK? It’s cool if you would rather not say, but I ask because:

My first 62% came with a cvault over 3 years ago. It’s never gotten more than a little gritty/granular, very little; even later when I realised the cvault wasn’t totally smell-proof, so not air-tight. I picked up a quality, big hygrometer, it’s not huge but not the tiny ones that can go in the container. Anyway the drawer where things are stays at 62% pretty much year round. I live in England and our windows are open quite a lot, like most homes here we’ve no air conditioning or hot air furnace in winter so I guess that’s why. Pretty cool, so now I don’t bother and just use oxygen absorbers in jars and everything is righteous!

I ordered a 58% from a OHS and got a 50% instead which was waaay too dry for our uses, imo. Never got another but maybe I should try a 58% sometime. But I’ll probably wait until I’m not living in the UK!
Thanks.
I ask this also because i wonder wether the pack might be “bad”?
Or is this impossible?
I cannot tell if it’s doing it’s job.
Anyway it’s in my only CV that i use daily so i have no idea if it still keeps the stash moist or not.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Thanks.
I ask this also because i wonder wether the pack might be “bad”?
Or is this impossible?
I cannot tell if it’s doing it’s job.
Anyway it’s in my only CV that i use daily so i have no idea if it still keeps the stash moist or not.

What humidity % are your Boveda packs? I remember when they initially came out with the 54 or 58 (I forget which) and I bought some before they eventually discontinued that %. My brother still has a few of those and they still have not crystallized either.

I got wary of them not wearing out, so eventually replaced all of mine with the newer 62% packs.

With the 62's, they definitely eventually crystallize after worn out. However, I just get all of my old ones, and seal them in a tupperware container with an small open bowl of water. After a few days to a week, the packs have rehydrated and are good to use again.

Roth,

rozroz

I think i have the 62%
Anyway, complete liquid after 2 yrs with daily opening CV.

rozroz,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I like to take about 4 oz of perfectly cured medicine and pack that into a half gallon, wide-mouthed, Mason jar, around a 67 gram Boveda pack of 62% humidity.
You sir, make me green with envy.

@rozroz If it’s your only stash, and you’re dipping into it daily then I doubt very much that the Boveda 62% is doing much for ya. It’s my understanding that Boveda states they’re effective in maintaining RH when used for long-term stashes that are left alone for months.

I believe most everyone would agree that if you’re opening your container (whatever it is) every day, the Boveda doesn’t have time to adjust RH. It’s not a fast process, I’m guessing a week at least.

Further complicating matters is that it’s all relative depending on how full the container is. The fuller, the more air is displaced and less oxygen overall makes it easier for the packs & oxygen absorbers to do their jobs well. I’d suggest having 2-3 smaller airtight jars in a dark, cool place which allows one to move down as your precious herb supply goes down before the re-up. I’d then put a week’s worth+ into those, so you don’t have to open your cvault so often. Then you might have a better idea if you’re happy with it.

This doesn’t apply to folks like @t-dub who have mountains of O’s to contend with. :D Then you gotta go big! I’d go with his “big-ass jar with a big-ass boveda” method if you’re at that level. Someday I will be!

EDIT: dang it @Roth you condense my very wordy paragraphs into a concise sentence! Thank you!

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I use the larger (large size) CVaults with Boveda packs (and soon to be added oxygen-eaters) for longer term storage, but I still use a Boveda pack in my smaller CVault (medium size) that I open and pull from every day. I can tell you that my material stays perfect in there with the Boveda, even though I open it every day. I have to either recharge the Boveda pack or replace it when it gets crystally (I usually just recharge them, rather than buying new ones) a lot more often in that one, but it still seems to keep things as they should be.

Top Bottom