Boveda Packs......

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Wow, that's a real jungle on Long Island :) High humidity is tough cuz burping needs to be in the right direction. If your house and case are both 62%, then burping should still work, albeit slower acting which is fine too. If I'm burping with house humidity of 40%, RH would drop much faster.

IMO, 66 and 68 are close enough to the target of 62% that you should be fine as you slowly zero in.
You should be well below the mold danger zone --- the danger of too high humidity. I believe most cigar humidors target is 72% so you're at least below that.
I was thinking the same thing... as long as I'm in the sixties, I'm not worried. I ordered the really big pack (60g) instead of having like 3 smaller ones in each jar of the 8 or 10g (forget exactly, but the second largest size).

I guess the test will be in a month or so. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the time and direction here. Nothing worse than wasting time (or herb)!

Bravesst,

mightyhigh

i've never heard of these things until now. i normally buy a half oz at a time and make that last 20 days or so between my gf and me. should i be saving some with one of these things or using them full time? should i get the 62 or 54%? does it really change the vaping experience that much?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
62 is what cannabis thrives at, and made specifically for the final cure. I live in a humid area, but I have some weed that comes in at 70 and some at 55, boveda is bringing them all to 62. There is way more science going on here than I understand, but I don't have to. I know that if I can store at 62RH for 2 months, my THC levels will increase. Pretty simple. Glass jars, dark place, boveda, hygrometer (optional).

MinnBobber

i've never heard of these things until now. i normally buy a half oz at a time and make that last 20 days or so between my gf and me. should i be saving some with one of these things or using them full time? should i get the 62 or 54%? does it really change the vaping experience that much?

If your bud is gone in 20 days, IMO these are not necessary but might be nice if your bud is too high or too low moisture.
Now if you want save some killer strains long term---then they become necessary for prime curing/storage.
Amazon has them. 62% is the best target.

For longterm buds it really changes the experience. I have 15 month old herb that is better vaping than when it was 1 month old. Without Boveda it would be dry crumbly and harsh.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion

UnshavenFish

Since there are so many different Boveda options, and because I know nothing about Boveda, I don't know which option to choose. Here is a link to the Boveda I currently have in my Amazon cart (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WHCPUC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A211C28GSC458). Could anyone check this out and let me know if this is a reasonable quantity and price for something like a starter pack (or provide a link to a better option)?

Have a look here bud...

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-does-humidity-affect-your-cannabis

I have the 62 and 49, I prefer the 49 (but that's just personal preference, will vary from person to person) really I normally prefer dryer still but again that's just me.

Also think about the size of the pack you get compared to the storage jar you will use as the pack has to fit the jar, I went for medium as I use smaller glass jars, so size will depend on what you store in.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
^^^That helps a lot, I think. Both the link and what you shared about your preferences. In conjunction with something I read yesterday in this thread, I'm beginning to get the impression that using a lightbulb (or any kind of heat) to dry herbs is not a particularly good idea.

I would still love to hear more input from others, though. Thanks.

Aimless Ryan,

Vital

I read on Boveda’s website that they have a two way permeable membrane. It made me think…if a Boveda can absorb water, why not put them near water after they dry out and rehydrate them? I gave it a try and PRESTO…IT WORKS!

Here’s how I did it:

Step 1: Take a mason jar and put 3 things in it; a piece of sterile gauze (a few sterile cotton balls will work), a piece of heat safe plastic to act as a spacer (Something like a keck clip, or as Stu suggested using that plastic thingy that comes in the box with pizza’s), and some distilled water.

Step 2: Put the Mason jar (WITHOUT A LID ON IT YET) containing the gauze, water, and spacer in a microwave, and bring the water to a boil in the Mason jar. Once it cools down pour off the majority of the water making sure to leave the moistened gauze and spacer in the Mason jar.

Step 3: Place the Boveda you want to recharge on top of the spacer. Make sure the Boveda’s paper isn't sitting in the water and put a lid on the Mason jar.

Step 4: Put the sealed Mason jar on a level surface like a table or dresser and be patient.

Step 5: In a day or two open the Mason jar and remove your rejuvenated Boveda!!! (If by chance the Boveda isn't completely rejuvenated put the lid back on and check it again in a day or two until it’s fully rejuvenated.

Step 6: Store the recharged Boveda’s in a dry Mason jar with the lid tightly closed.

The reason I use distilled water and sterilize everything is to prevent the chance of any mold or fungus from growing. Every so often I put some fresh distilled water in the mason jar and put it back in the microwave until it boils to make sure any spores that might be in the jar are killed. Make sure there aren’t any Boveda’s in the jar when you bring it to a boil…it would probably ruin the Boveda.

You can keep reusing the same Boveda until the paper it’s made of tears or wears out.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

It made me think…if a Boveda can absorb water, why not put them near water after they dry out and rehydrate them?
@Vital,
Yes I have done this and it works great.
A hydrated Boveda should feel like one of Kim Kardashian's fake boobies ;)
When de-hydrated it feels less viscous and starts to get little rocks forming (I think they are salt).

I recently gave every Boveda a squeeze test before and after sitting over hot water in an enclosed jar.
All came back except one. It was the most rocky/ least jelly to start. Even after 3 attempts it was still "rocks" so tossed it.

But it is great that they can be revived, until they get too far gone :)

MinnBobber,
Reactions: grokit

Vital

@Vital,
Yes I have done this and it works great.
A hydrated Boveda should feel like one of Kim Kardashian's fake boobies ;)
When de-hydrated it feels less viscous and starts to get little rocks forming (I think they are salt).

I recently gave every Boveda a squeeze test before and after sitting over hot water in an enclosed jar.
All came back except one. It was the most rocky/ least jelly to start. Even after 3 attempts it was still "rocks" so tossed it.

But it is great that they can be revived, until they get too far gone :)

Were you using tap water or distilled water to recharge them?

MinnBobber

Were you using tap water or distilled water to recharge them?
I always use distilled water to re-hydrate Bovedas. Tap water would probably work BUT distilled water is cheap and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Our tap water has fluoride plus misc minerals and god knows what. Tap water might not hurt BUT why take a chance.
Distilled water guarantees that no contaminants are introduced into a jar

chimpybits

Step 2: Put the Mason jar (WITHOUT A LID ON IT YET) containing the gauze, water, and spacer in a microwave, and bring the water to a boil in the Mason jar.
The reason I use distilled water and sterilize everything is to prevent the chance of any mold or fungus from growing. Every so often I put some fresh distilled water in the mason jar and put it back in the microwave until it boils to make sure any spores that might be in the jar are killed.
Any recommendations for those w/o a microwave?

MinnBobber

I'd put distilled water in a small saucepan. You don't need much-- 1/2 inch.
Warm up on stovetop, good and hot but does not need to boil.
Find a spacer or vessel ( a soup bowl would work).
Place dehydrated Bovedas in the soup bowl and then float that in the water.
Cover the saucepan and let the super moisturized interior re-hydrate the Bovedas

Vital

Perhaps you could use a friends, family member or neighbors? If you have the desire, you could purchase a very small one for less than $50. How the F--k do you live without a microwave? :D I would be lost without one; got my first one back in 1975...a Litton. I remember that they were insanely expensive back then. :myday:

The most important thing is to make sure everything is as sterile as you can get it. Use a sterile piece of gauze (sterile cotton balls will work), distilled water, and boil the components in a large pot of water on your stove top. It would be more of a hassle than popping it in a microwave, but I think that would work pretty well. Keep in mind your botanicals are more likely to have contaminants like mold spores on them than the Boveda. ;)

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

Vital

I always use distilled water to re-hydrate Bovedas. Tap water would probably work BUT distilled water is cheap and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Our tap water has fluoride plus misc minerals and god knows what. Tap water might not hurt BUT why take a chance.
Distilled water guarantees that no contaminants are introduced into a jar

I strongly recommend that you bring everything to a boil to make sure you kill any mold spores or fungus that are on the surface of almost everything. I would not recommend EVER using tap water. There are too many contaminants in it. Even if you were to boil it, all you would do is kill most living things that might be in it, but at the same time you would concentrate the minerals, and anything else that might be found in your local tap water. The other problem with using tap water...If you use tap water, it will rehydrate a Boveda, heck you could use any liquid for that matter; but I can pretty much guarantee you that the Boveda’s pores in its semi permeable membrane will get clogged. That means it most likely won’t work properly, and even if it does it would shorten its lifespan

Make sure you store your mason jars in a dark spot. I have some jars that I painted the outside black. But I have the CVault too.

The one thing I dislike about CVaults design. If you don't keep it right side up all the time, when you take the lid off the botanicals get under the Boveda and the metal holder the Boveda sits in. The next time you open the CVault, the lid drops crumbs all over the place. It would be nice if they could separate the lid from the contents. Maybe use a screen or something that screws on to the inside of the lid in order to prevent the contents from getting into and under the Boveda compartment.

Vital,
Reactions: VegNVape

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
@Vital and @CarolKing

Do you think the cvaults are worth it? I would consider maybe two of the 4 liters for most of my needs and two of the 2 liters but thats a lot of money. Think it is worth the diffrence over mason jars? Thanks

IAmKrazy2,

Vital

@Vital and @CarolKing

Do you think the cvaults are worth it? I would consider maybe two of the 4 liters for most of my needs and two of the 2 liters but thats a lot of money. Think it is worth the diffrence over mason jars? Thanks

Honestly...No...The only reason I have one is because it was given to me as a gift. Mason jars are very inexpensive, come in many sizes, and are made of glass. You can always throw a Boveda in the Mason Jar, and it doesn't trap crumbs. The other thing about a CVault is the way it opens and closes. It makes a very good airtight seal, but you have to open and close three seperant latches everytime you do. It would be nice if they would connect all three to a center piece that you can push or pull to open and close the lid with one move. Just my :2c:.

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
I'd appreciate some FC advice about using Boveda packs.

My current dispensary says their 1/8th vials (cheap, pill/pharmacy type) are not air tight. I've noticed that medication dries out after awhile and believe them.

My mason jars hold 3-4 vials each. I bought ten 62% Boveda packs which arrived late yesterday. I'd like to keep strains separated in their individual vials with a Boveda pack (or 2 better?) in each mason jar. Since vials don't seal, it seems to me Boveda packs should have the desired effect on herb in each.

The folks at my dispensary say it will work fine. After about 12 hours with vials in jars, herb seems to be getting slightly less dry. Don't know how long it should take for full effects. However, this morning I called customer service at Boveda to double-check and they said it won't work -- that packs need to be exposed more directly to herbal meds.

What do FC members think? I don't care if Boveda packs are slightly less efficient/slower than their maximum potential as long as they do enough.

Last edited:
Amoreena,
Reactions: friedrich

GOOREGON

Perhaps you could use a friends, family member or neighbors? If you have the desire, you could purchase a very small one for less than $50. How the F--k do you live without a microwave? :D I would be lost without one; got my first one back in 1975...a Litton. I remember that they were insanely expensive back then. :myday:

The most important thing is to make sure everything is as sterile as you can get it. Use a sterile piece of gauze (sterile cotton balls will work), distilled water, and boil the components in a large pot of water on your stove top. It would be more of a hassle than popping it in a microwave, but I think that would work pretty well. Keep in mind your botanicals are more likely to have contaminants like mold spores on them than the Boveda. ;)

Hope that helps...
i dont have a microwave. they are extremely dangerous and i wouldnt touch one iwth a 10ft pole...go research..even things that say they are approved for microwaves arent..you put something in there..anything and its bombarded with nasty things...plastic is the worst..that shit is absorbed into whatever food its in. just another way our great country helps us...by selling a product without even a hint of the detrimental effects it brings and causes .

GOOREGON,
Reactions: TomC1315

MinnBobber

My current dispensary says their 1/8th vials (cheap, pill/pharmacy type) are not air tight. I've noticed that medication dries out after awhile and believe them.

My mason jars hold 3-4 vials each. I bought ten 62% Boveda packs which arrived late yesterday. I'd like to keep strains separated in their individual vials with a Boveda pack (or 2 better?) in each mason jar. Since vials don't seal, it seems to me Boveda packs should have the desired effect on herb in each.

The folks at my dispensary say it will work fine. After about 12 hours with vials in jars, herb seems to be getting slightly less dry. Don't know how long it should take for full effects. However, this morning I called customer service at Boveda to double-check and they said it won't work -- that packs need to be exposed more directly to herbal meds.
IMO, 3-4 vials in airtight mason jars with a Boveda pack or two should certainly work. The main chamber will be 62% RH and since the vials are not airtight, that humidity will "leak into" the vials until they are also stabilized at 62%. Direct exposure would help reach this equilibrium sooner but these vials would move toward 62%, albeit slower.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Amoreena

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
... pack or two should certainly work. ...
Thanks. :) Do you see any advantage to using two packs in each jar rather than just one? I'll be opening jars to access strains for vaping. Replacing them as needed won't be a hardship. Meanwhile, packs not yet in use are sealed in their own little jar.

Amoreena,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I would use just one so as to not have one packet working against the other. The packets can be refreshed (they dry out) by placing them in a baggie with a damp sponge. Takes a week or two. So Cal is pretty dry, but if you check the packet each time you open, you'll be able to tell when to swap a fresh one in and recharge the old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom