Boundless Tera

Boden

Aspie polymath
The big stainless screen what is for?

Bottom of bowl

This spelling error gave me a good laugh.
Thanks so much for the teardown, good news, great job.
Was it easy to take apart and are the any tamper seals?

Spelling error? :hmm:

Very easy if you take it slow. Three case clip points near the power button need to be carefully separated. No tamper seals.

so ,did you fix it seating the seal properly? or still getting weird smoke

Yes, I installed the seal at the top of the ceramic correctly.

Last edited:

sammuel

Alright I just got mine, I can't tell if my bowl is askew so I assume it isn't, charging now, will update :)

sammuel,
Reactions: BigJr48

Boden

Aspie polymath
Alright I just got mine, I can't tell if my bowl is askew so I assume it isn't, charging now, will update :)
Before heating it up try to pull air through the unit with your finger over the air inlet. You should get nothing. To see if air is leaking past that seal.

@Boundless Vape Technology
One glaring design omission is the lack of cooling/ ventilation holes in the case for the outside of the heating chamber.

sammuel

OK so while it's charging I went through the manual, and each page I flipped fell off (as happened to the rest) which is awkward :lol: also there are quite a few grammar mistakes as suggested, but fine I don't care as long as it will work.

And of course they had to note this

"Also, to prevent from overheating do not leave the unit charging overnight."

"Do not leave the unit unattended while charging"

Fine I guess I'll just watch it while it's charging for 3 hours, trying not to fall asleep, and unplug once charged :rofl:

Boden

Aspie polymath
@lookhigh, I think @Boden meant

Pot metal
—also known as monkey metal, white metal, or die-cast zinc—is a colloquial term that refers to alloys of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings.

Correct me if I'm wrong boden.
You are correct :razz:

Problems aside, this mod can throw down. I got stupid last night without meaning to. Works quite well as an on demand for short powerful sessions.

Did not go over 380*F (probably never will with all that tape near the heater)

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
I just gave it another try while filling out the accompanying documents for the return. No chance. The visible off-gassing is still not reduced as soon as I gently blow into the air intake and the smell is unacceptable. Such a pity. I think this could be a real beast without the issues.

shaolinmilk

Well to be fair, the CF/CFX had the exact same issue and I'm not sure if it ever got resolved with the off-gassing. You can easily tell when the plastic is cheap and from China. It has that robot-fart smell and was always my concern with Boundless. IMO if you're health conscious, going with a Boundless product is definitely not ideal from my experience. It feels like the material they use is the same material fake vaporizers uses. Before they were Boundless, they released vaporizers that were rebrands of the Hebe Titan II so yeah...

lookhigh

FC member
Received mine. Bowl looks correct but am still getting air when i block the intake.
Needs a good vacuum but not an airtight seal. Same with the CFV.
Started a 200C.. Smelled of new and hot metal, not burned or plastic. went to 220C and stayed the same.
Done 7 runs and the smell was still there, new hot metal but not bad and reduced some.
Ran out of batteries and have not used concentrate mode.

sammuel

OK I checked and there is a seal, I'm doing burn offs and there are fumes -only- (edit:mostly) when i blow air through the intake at the bottom.. since this is my first pure convection vaporizer, are you guys sure this is not normal to see fumes/vapor when blowing air through an heating source? I'll note that it's visible only in dark room with flashlight on the chamber (as Ive learned here ;))
Answers appreciated

Baron23

are you guys sure this is not normal to see fumes/vapor when blowing air through an heating source?

It may be common due to poor design and production practices but NO....this is not normal or inherent to convection vapes.

CHAMPS or no fucking CHAMPS...Boundless needs to get out in front of this crap with the community and their contract manufacturer like yesterday. I was interested but now....nah, not until Boundless determines the root cause and corrective action and shares that with the community to the point that it is persuasive.

Shame...rather like those guys but, in 2018 in the vape world, who isn't already aware that vapor from production oils and material off gassing is totally unacceptable.

I really don't understand how they justified shipping this stuff and that's something I would like to see them address to the community also. Otherwise, this undermines my trust in them.

couzo

Been going over this thread and pretty much all questions are being answered but just to put up my experience so far.

I received mine two days ago. Did a couple of burn offs straight to full temp. It did smell strong on the first one but they then went away. No off-gassing or anything untoward and it's working like a champ.

Mine is still producing smells on day 5. Waiting for Boundless to get it together.

And I agree with Baron23, Boundless should have been on this yesterday with some kind of email or something. Anything to indicate they think this is a serious issue and they are on it.

sammuel

I've given up on this after about 7 burn offs and blowing up the intake until out of breath :( I didn't even wait for the battery to die as there was no apparent decrease in fumes, and as the battery indicator hasn't moved and still shows it's fully charge after more than half an hour of constant use at high temp :doh:

While I suspect the silence treatment, I'll give Boundless a little more time to come forward and see what they have to say, maybe we're doing something wrong (very doubtfully). Otherwise It's going back (which is what I assume they'll suggest anyway)

To those not seeing the fumes.. Please note they are not visible to the naked eye, you need to shine a light on the chamber and be in a dark room or otherwise with plenty of contrast

lookhigh

FC member
They cant control all brands can they?
Really dispensation about the tera and would need lots of reassurances before i would consider one again.

lookhigh,

LabPong

Indeed. It is only visible under certain conditions.

You could take that statement in 2 opposite directions.

1. If I can not see it or taste it ...it is not there. WRONG it can still be a huge problem
2. If it is visible at the start of using.....and fades away...is it really gone?

I wonder if the mentioned piece on the inside that is not aligned correctly (if it is the cause/only cause).....is aligned correctly just how do you know if there is not a minor trace amount you can or cant sense...but actually is a health issue to use?

iWannaSoftTaco

Just a show of hands. Like this if your unit actually works as intended.

My Tera is fully functional and with no problems. It did have a QC Pass sticker on it.

This is my first convection vape and has blown me away! After watching this thread I picked up 2 Sony VTC6s to swap and saw a reccomendation for the Efest Luc V4 and have no regrets! Does anybody know if the 2.0A charging is harmful to the batteries?

Razor

To find that out, you'd have to find out exactly what they used on the inside. Is that even possible? We all assume I'm sure that its not different from what other vapes made in china (most of them) use meaning once there are no fumes, its gone. That may not be the correct way of thinking but generally that seems to be the case. The first step to finding this out is finding out what they used first.

Well its good that some of us are having good results then. I also have a QC sticker on mine. Did anyones come WITHOUT it? It's the little round sticker on the front (or back depending on how you look at it).

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The tape glue smell in the FM5 range took *at least* 2 to 3 entire battery discharges worth of burn-ins to dissipate to acceptable level. That's quite long and it was daunting at first, but it did work. When I opened my old FM5-S, the glue on the tape was completely dry and it had no residual smell.

But in the FM5 range, at first, this insulation layer was not completely isolated from the air path. What I don't get in the Tera case is that all the insulation around the heater is supposed to be completely isolated. It should off-gass inside the device shell but that should not enter the air/vapor path at all.

Also even if it smelled, I never ever had visible fumes with any of their products.

There must be another source. If the silicone is misaligned maybe it's getting damaged by the heat? Or the silicone itself would need much more curing? In the Ascent the smell was super strong for instance, took ages to become acceptable and never really vanished in fact.

I know some users reported air leaks with the CFV, but my SwiftPro (the FM version of the CFV) is completely sealed, I can blow how hard I want air is not escaping when I block the intake. Here we also have reports of air leaks and this is not normal.

Top Bottom