Boundless CF / CFX / CF-Hybrid

Vaping_Casual

I too prefer to have as little stuff on me as possible. What about the Flowermate Mini is worse? FM Mini design is perfect for concealment, but I´m considering the CF or CFX as well, depending on how much better they are.

I wonder if replacing the Flowermate Mini battery with a better 3200mah one would make a difference? Great reviews, keep it up!

Personally, the heatup time and overall vape experience and quality I found to be a decent bit lower on the Flowermate Mini than I did using the CF. I found I could make room to carry the CF for better valor quality, taste, and experience.

A larger battery on the FM Mini may help a little for it's longevity and secondary battery bank function, however, I don't think it'd do enough for me to get it to come out of retirement. I thought about doing myself when my warranty is entirely up, and if you do, please, let me know how it goes.

You were going to use high amperage batteries correct?

Thanks for the compliment on the review! I'm really glad people are liking them. I'm coming out with many more across the desktop/portable/concentrate spectrum over the coming months and am very excited.

namasteIII

Would you guys consider the CF(X) an upgrade or downgrade from the solo? (or air seeing as their pretty much the same)

Also, has anyone tried a replacing the bottom screen with a domed screen? I feel that could further improve the airflow and maybe the convective properties. If anyone has tried that, did you find a way to get it to stick in the unit like a flat screen would?

mrboxer

Personally, the heatup time and overall vape experience and quality I found to be a decent bit lower on the Flowermate Mini than I did using the CF. I found I could make room to carry the CF for better valor quality, taste, and experience.

It´s a really good looking vape, shame that it doesn´t have a battery indicator, I find the CFX a bit bulky. Thanks for the comparison!

stickstones

Vapor concierge
What you're describing is 100% conduction.

In reality it shouldn't be the subject of speculation. The company behind the distribution of this vape should tell us the truth about the technical specifications of the vaporizers they distribute. Since Boundless doesn't tell us anything (bad communications), and by reading people's experiences, I gather the Boundless vapes are 100% conduction. I'm not here to sell or market the Boundless vapes or misdirecting the consumers with verbiage, I just want the truth. That said, it can be an excellent 100% conduction vape, but I won't call it convection or hybrid when it's not. I think it's important for the vaping community.

I think you are mistaken. I am convinced there is convection going on after using it...it just doesn't act like a 100% conduction vape. The way I described it working is exactly as the Boundless team described it to me over several conversations to get it right. I agree they weren't the best at communicating this aspect, which is why I went through the time to get it right with them and communicate to you guys.

Actually, it would be fairly easy to determine by using a thermocouple to measure the temperature in the bowl during the draw. If the temp goes up during the draw, then there is hot air entering the chamber meaning some convection heating is taking place. If the temperature drops during the draw, that would suggest that no convection is occurring. I've done this to measure convective effects for several different vapes in the past. :2c:

:peace:

This is cool...science! How would you assign percentages to the different heating types?

Eatrocks

I had an air (still do) for 6 months before cfx, used it 5-7 times a day no problems. In comparison the air had a tiny bit more flavor on the first few hits. I always felt like the air wasn't fully extracting and it wasnt. The cfx leaves ur material crispy and dark brown.

The mouth piece screen needs to be switched to a normal screen, i changed the stock chamber screen last night with one of those steel screens for the air I got from piu, fits perfectly, very tight, no gaps like the stock one. And finally I tore away the bottomed intake plastic 'screen' . Cfx heats up waaaay quicker than air, bigger more potent hits, the vibration on the cfx letting u know it's reached temp is great, the chamber on the cfx is roughly the same diameter as the glass stems on the air.

Also..the battery life on cfx is amazing, better than carrying spare 18650s for the air which got about 5-6 less than 10 min sessions

Last edited:

WoodyWeedPecker

I'm a bit confused.

Yes, they did originally state that the CFX is all convection, but they quickly recanted when FC members and others pointed out their error. I do believe it was an error.

On the other hand, I have a hard time calling it 100% conduction, as mine quickly cools when I stop drawing on it.

I'm no expert though, so somebody please school me further on the difference between convection and conduction.
If it cools down fast or not is not related to this since there's conduction on this vape. So it cools down fast despite conduction being present (if you understand what I mean).

Knowing the specifications of a vaporizer about being conduction, convection or hybrid is not something that should be left to the imagination of people. Same thing with the battery size (mah) and other things. It is specific engineering features of a vaporizer. It takes time and energy to engineer a convection system in a vaporizer whether it's for full convection or hybrids. You need something to heat the air before it gets to the bowl, you need to isolate this heater, provide power to it, measure the time it takes to heat up, provide the right air/heat capacity ratio, choose which materials for the heater and air/vapor path, analyze the temperature reached by the heated air before it reaches the bowl, etc, etc. The complete lack of any convection system on the boundless vapes, makes it a 100% conduction vape. I'm just surprised this subject is still being talked about and not clarified by the Boundless company, distributor of this vape. They are the one which distribute it, they should know how their own vape are built and give the consumers the proper specifications. Hopefully, Boundless read this and provide more details on their vaporizers specifications unless the vagueness and miscommunication are used as some sort of marketing tools (Buy it, there's possibly convection in this vaporizer!), which is not something I can support. My 2 cents.

Eatrocks

If it cools down fast or not is not related to this since there's conduction on this vape. So it cools down fast despite conduction being present (if you understand what I mean).

Knowing the specifications of a vaporizer about being conduction, convection or hybrid is not something that should be left to the imagination of people. Same thing with the battery size (mah) and other things. It is specific engineering features of a vaporizer. It takes time and energy to engineer a convection system in a vaporizer whether it's for full convection or hybrids. You need something to heat the air before it gets to the bowl, you need to isolate this heater, provide power to it, measure the time it takes to heat up, provide the right air/heat capacity ratio, choose which materials for the heater and air/vapor path, analyze the temperature reached by the heated air before it reaches the bowl, etc, etc. The complete lack of any convection system on the boundless vapes, makes it a 100% conduction vape. I'm just surprised this subject is still being talked about and not clarified by the Boundless company, distributor of this vape. They are the one which distribute it, they should know how their own vape are built and give the consumers the proper specifications. Hopefully, Boundless read this and provide more details on their vaporizers specifications unless the vagueness and miscommunication are used as some sort of marketing tools (Buy it, there's possibly convection in this vaporizer!), which is not something I can support. My 2 cents.

THE TEMP RISES WHEN BEING HIT, I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE SEEN IT. IT'S NOT ALL CONDUCTION. THE TEMP DROPS WHEN NOT BEING HIT.

Are we done with this?!?!

20160427_135608_zpsp1o0hy3i.jpg
ok it's impossible to post a pic here, this the link for the screen I made for the mouth piece if anyone cares..its just a 2 cent brass screen pushed thru.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Eatrocksah/media/Mobile Uploads/20160427_135608_zpsp1o0hy3i.jpg.html

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm just surprised this subject is still being talked about and not clarified by the Boundless company, distributor of this vape.

My previous post is an accurate description of how the Boundless vapes heat up according to Boundless. There is nothing more to clear up regarding how it heats up. If you want to debate whether or not convective effects are present, go ahead, but you now know how it heats up. Do you have one?

VaporSipper

Not impossible... You just need to put the correct URL when inserting the image tag. Most image sites, like photobucket, have a button that will get you the direct link to the image; that's what you need to use. You can't use a link to the html page that contains the image.

Eatrocks

Hey thanks for posting my pic, i tried all the above...whatev...now u see.

Got some pineapple loaded up now...its cured a lil too much and gives off weak clouds, the effect is there though and last 3-4 hrs with that particular herb.

Eatrocks,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
How would you assign percentages to the different heating types?
One way you could do it would be to take the temp increase during draw (assuming there is a temp increase) and divide it by the total temperature increase (from room/ambient temp to the highest temp measured during the draw).

I'll just throw some phony numbers up for the sake of argument:

Ambient temp: 25°C
Temp at bowl pre-draw: 180°C
Max temp during draw: 210°C

So 30 (210-180) / 185 (210-25) =0.17 or 17% convection for the above example. That's how I'd do it anyway, but I'm sure there are other ways to skin this particular cat. :2c:

:peace:

djchexxx

Not impossible... You just need to put the correct URL when inserting the image tag. Most image sites, like photobucket, have a button that will get you the direct link to the image; that's what you need to use. You can't use a link to the html page that contains the image.
I like that. How'd you form it?

djchexxx,

YungLeaner

Except there is a partial convection system involved here, and quick heat up and cool down time is ABSOLUTELY indicative of that. Boundless falsely advertised, probably by mistake and probably due to the fact that the vape industry is chock-full of half promises, but your bit about "left to the imagination" is somewhat confusing to me. Detailed analysis and debate about vaporizer function is the purpose of FC. I own the CFX and have owned an Herbalizer an Underdog a Solo a Pax a Whispr a Zephyr Ion a Volcano a shitty Chinese box vape a Cloud Evo a Firefly an SSV and an Arizer EQ. I'm not gesticulating or arguing based on "vague" ideas here, I'm making a logical claim based on empirical observations as is @stickstones and the many others on this thread who agree with me. Your claim that the presence of conduction is equivalent to full convection is absolutely false and does harm to both the company and potentially misled buyers who might think Boundless vapes have similar taste and function to Paxes and Flowermates and other full conduction vapes. It doesn't! I don't know what else to say, except that you should try one some time. They kick ass.
I think the CFX is probably 70% conduction (not a factual claim but a reasonable guess) with normal operation. Use a VXL ELB and it becomes insanely flavorful and probably 60-70% convection.

Eatrocks

Just get those soft brass pipe screens from the tobacco shop, take apart the mouth piece and lay it flat inside and push it thru the hole gently with an Allen key or something else that fits. I get 'some' bits during draws...like 3 lil flakes for every 15 hits. It stays in place well, easy to clean but I leave a lil resin around thr inside so it sticks.

Eatrocks,
Reactions: djchexxx

shaolinmilk

I thoroughly tested my friend's CF yesterday and I am honestly amazed. I haven't tried the CFX, but I'm pretty sure the performance is the same. This thing produces vapor and it's so friggen thick! For some reason, the bowl just gets stronger and stronger as you toke. The quality of the vapor is worst than the PAX 2, however the flavour is much more consistent. The PAX 2 will start off as a 9.5/10 on flavour and dramatically drop off after 2-3 large hits. After that the flavour just keeps on dropping and I will rate it anywhere from a 4/10 to a 6/10 after the initial draws. As for the CF, the flavor starts off at about an 8/10 and stays around 7/10 for the entire session. The vapor is towards the harsher side of things, however the way I see it this will make transitioning from combustion to vaporizing much easier.

A big downside I say is the cheap looking glossy plastic on the cooling unit and at the base. Also, this vape feels like it's screaming "Cheap Chinese product", however the performance is far too amazing so I can ignore this flaw. And oh yeah, the mouth piece itself is too wide; it doesn't conform to your lips nicely and I'm pretty sure a third party company can build a better mouth piece.

Back to the positives, the bowl is friggen huge and I'm pretty sure you can fit almost a gram in there if you wanted to. The great thing about this is you can fill any amount and it will vaporize it till your AVB is medium/dark brown. I've been hearing people say it's not efficient... it's pretty damn efficient IMO!

So if you're new to vaping, this is a must get unit. It will introduce you to the world of vaping with a bang. If you've been in the game for a while, I still highly suggest you get this unit to see what the fuss is about. I can see why it's only $130 ($110 with FC discount) because of the cheaper quality material it is built with, however the performance itself rivals higher end units.

RelaxedNow

Dude I was just thinking the same figures...like it's at least gotta be 25-30% convection, flavor is too good.

Anyway, just removed the stock screen and popped in one of the giveaway screens I got when I ordered my air, fits perfectly tight, no gaps like on the stock screen, i took a pic of the homemade screen I made for the mouthpiece but I'm such a noob I fucked up trying to post it...ALSO, I tore away the plastic 'screen' on the bottom of the unit to allow max flow (yeahyuh)...the dab tool comes in very handy.

I shined a light down with the stock bowl screen gone...Looks kinda crusty underneath the the chamber through the holes..ran it at 430 with the top off upside down and blew some thru the air intake.

@Eatrocks, I'm curious. First, are you still happy that you removed the bottom piece for improved airflow. Second, is there any risk to the unit in doing so? And finally, do you think doing just one or the other of the mods (Changing screen versus removing bottom plastic piece) would have done the trick, or did it require both for noticeable improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RelaxedNow,

namasteIII

I think the CFX is probably 70% conduction (not a factual claim but a reasonable guess) with normal operation. Use a VXL ELB and it becomes insanely flavorful and probably 60-70% convection.

Are you loading the ELB with the herb or are you loading the chamber and putting the ELB screen ontop in place of the MP screen?

namasteIII,

Eatrocks

@Eatrocks, I'm curious. First, are you still happy that you removed the bottom piece for improved airflow. Second, is there any risk to the unit in doing so? And finally, do you think doing just one or the other of the mods (Changing screen versus removing bottom plastic piece) would have done the trick, or did it require both for noticeable improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Changing the mouthpiece screen helped the most, removing the bottom plastic bits and changing the stock chamber screen made a little difference. Idk If everyone's unit is like mine but the bottom air intake doesn't line up all the way.

Here's an upclose shot of the replacement bowl screen.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/E..._20160429-140345_zpsjfjwrmh1.png.html?filters[user]=145049795&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

And here's a shot of the torn out air intake.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/E..._20160429-143206_zpsvaso6nn1.png.html?filters[user]=145049795&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Eatrocks,

stoneloc

What you're describing is 100% conduction

But it's not. Most of the heat goes up via conduction, part of it goes down by radiation. That heats an exchanger--think reservoir. When you pull air, it takes on heat when moving past that reservoir and adds it back to the conduction heat of the chamber.

Basically, it's a waste heat reclaimer that delivers back via convection.

Milkytime

@WoodyWeedPecker you are 100% wrong it is a hybrid vape.

Yes boundless made a mistake early on but they admitted fault and moved to fix it. (Minus the box label) they also have multiple live streams saved on youtube that you should go watch where they explain pretty much everything.

You are welcome to voice opinions but you dont even have either unit and are making false claims on unknown knowledge and thats just ignorant.

BuzzDanklin

Would you guys consider the CF(X) an upgrade or downgrade from the solo? (or air seeing as their pretty much the same)

The Air is going to produce a bit tastier/smoother vapor, have replaceable batteries, and be more portable, but the CFX is going to produce more vapor, more consistent AVB, have much longer battery life, and fully adjustable temps. It could probably be an upgrade or downgrade depending on what you are looking for in a vape.

namasteIII

The Air is going to produce a bit tastier/smoother vapor, have replaceable batteries, and be more portable, but the CFX is going to produce more vapor, more consistent AVB, have much longer battery life, and fully adjustable temps. It could probably be an upgrade or downgrade depending on what you are looking for in a vape.

I'm thinking the CF which in my opinion is far more portable than the air. Simply for the fact of being on self contained unit. Is the battery on the CF still pretty good?

How do you compare the efficiency? I feel like the solo is really efficient all ready. but the CF could be more so due to the fact of the super fast heat up time. Especially if you do some tricks different screens.

Is the difference in taste and smoothness a big one. I've read good things on both those categories regarding the CF(X) vapes.

Lastly, Airflow, is the CF superior?

Thanks and feel free to ignore if this is to much work.

Milkytime

Battery is about 8 cut off sessions with the CF im getting they are 5 min i think.

Airflow is pretty open on this one i prefer the draw to my pax 2 its much easier.

CF fits in pocket and the ELB screens prepacked is just whst makes it great for me.

YungLeaner

Top Bottom