Boundless CF / CFX / CF-Hybrid

Vaping_Casual

So this cf/Cfx vape seems pretty new on the market. Apparently people like it.

From the review posted a few posts a above, the leftover material was still pretty light in colour. Could be desireable for some, but I don't repurpose my vaped leftovers so I prefer to extract everything on the first go.

This guy is half the price of the mighty and looks very similar design wise, even the way the top piece connects to the bowl as well as the straw like swivel mouthpiece.

Is this "considered" just a knockoff of the mighty/crafty? Or has there been enough innovation to say it is an evolution of progression of one?

On the note of the light colored AVB: I usually take it darker as well, but I just vaped until I felt satisfied, noting time and "hit count", and just left it at that. I later that night put that same material back into my unit, turned the temperature up further, and fully extracted the herb.

I would more call this a Mighty/Crafty competitor for budget conscious or beginner vaporizers as there isn't as much as a price tag shock.

Also as @YaFreekin Right said, the Boundless units are much more conduction based than the S&B units.

scottyc22

@scottyc22 the Alfa has a bit better flavor, less draw resistance, and it's more portable, the CFX crushes the Alfa on battery life, it's got a larger bowl, fully adjustable temps, and its easier/quicker to load and unload.
I'm looking at the CF (more portable, no precise temp control), not the CFX. The CFX is much better imo, but I can't decide between the base CF and the Alfa!

djchexxx

@djchexxx, is your current vapes accurate? If so, I have to ask, how is the CFX vs Underdog and Grasshopper?

I feel like the Underdog for sure is the home, solo (maybe one other) person usage, the GH is for quick, stealthy draws (also maybe one other person use) or milking glass on the go, so where do you feel your CFX falls in? Do you session with it or use it with others more?

Well first of all I smoke alone so I can't comment on group sessions. Hard to really answer that as I have only had the CFX for 2 weeks I think? and i've had the grasshopper for a few days. The underdog is definitely the sit at home, leave it on all day/night (I never leave it on for a few hours) and hit it whenever you want, or can have really long sessions. Honestly it's been a little bit neglected once I got the CFX/Grasshopper in my hands. I don't like waiting 10-20mins for my UD to heat up.

I think the CFX is perfect with the auto shut off at 5mins. Not too short of a session and not too long. I usually put in less than 0.1g and can vape it the whole 5mins to get it crispy brown at 380. If anyone is solo sessioning longer than 5mins i'd tell them to get a desktop. Obviously this is a different story if you're out and about with a group of friends.

The grasshopper comes in as the ultra portable/stealthy one hitter. I mainly use it when i'm sitting at my desk and want one quick fat rip. I love hitting it through glass as well, I cant wait to see how the CFX works once they send out the WPA.

Pretty much:
Grasshopper: Convection/stealth/great one hitter. Also can use through glass and have short sessions. Wouldn't recommend for using a long time due to the mouthpiece getting pretty warm after two big rips. Good for one person. Two people is kind of stretching it but definitely can do it. Lifetime warranty.

CFX: Conduction with a tiny bit of convection, great for medium length sessions. 5-10mins. Not super stealth like the GH but for the power/vapor quality it delivers i'm ok with the size. Still definitely pocketable and great for group sessions due to big bowl size/battery life. 2 year warranty.

Underdog: Convection, great for leaving on for a few hours, having long ass sessions, or leaving it on and coming back to it whenever you want. Can use solo but possibly could use in a group setting passing it around. 2 year warranty.

Overall i'm happy with my current set up. I feel like I have a good range of what I want out of vapes but I really want to see how the CFX stacks up against the Mighty/Crafty so I might have to get one of those lol. :brow:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Is this "considered" just a knockoff of the mighty/crafty? Or has there been enough innovation to say it is an evolution of progression of one?

Not a knockoff, as there are enough differences. The design was certainly inspired by them, though. As for differences, I agree the Boundless vapes use more conduction than the S&B models based on taste. Also, the cooling unit does its job on the Boundless vapes but doesn't look like it should do as good a job when you open it up. The bowls in the Boundless vapes are much bigger. The heat up times are much quicker for the Boundless vapes. The Crafty has the phone app and all that comes with it while the CF is minimalist with temp lights only. The CFX shows a session timer on the display while the Mighty does not...I never know when the Mighty will shut off, so I push the power button regularly to reset it. Both the Mighty/CFX units have digital temp control with a battery meter.

That's the specs, as to the user impressions...I like my Mighty vapor a little better but I still reach for the CFX more often because of the quick heat up time. The Mighty's 80 second heat up time is by no means slow, but it feels slow compared to 20 seconds and I've already detailed why I like the quicker heat up time for beach walks. With the Mighty bowl, I prefer to do herb/concentrate mixes to give it some punch, while the CFX has a huge bowl that I can get a kick out of with just herb (this is more for heavy users, as for most users the Mighty will be fine after one session).

Bottom line, I think both units deliver and make me happy. If you're on a budget the decision is simple, as the S&B portables are some of the most expensive on the market. If you can afford the Mighty, you can probably afford both!

shaolinmilk

My friend's CF should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know how it stacks up against my baby. I have a feeling I'm going to draw the same conclusion as most of you; quick heat up time with lower quality vapor.

YungLeaner

I would definitely rather have the mighty if I ignored price point, but I honestly would not rather own a Crafty. The battery life and heat up time on the Crafty feel like endless annoyances for my friend who owns one. I didn't think heat up time would matter to me until I got an Herbalizer and learned that instant heat up is incredibly conducive to proper and restrained self-medication, because any time I warmed up the Cloud Evo for 20-30 minutes I felt as though I owed it an elongated Sesh.

The Boundless has done the same for me with portables, providing instant temp accurate conduction vapor...which is very good vapor in its own way. I tend to prefer convection, but not everyone agrees with me, and those used to smoking tend to love the stony, toasty taste and effects of conduction hits. Add in huge clouds instant heat up and easy cleaning and good battery life i don't think there's an affordable portable within miles of the CFX right now....Also, the complex air path cooling units s&b use piss me off to no end. All the reclaim they pick up didn't come from nowhere...it came from the vapor that I wanted to inhale. Too many actives getting caught along the way for me. I like my vapes to have a heater, a bowl, and then an attachment to a bong :D

Eatrocks

Had a group session and the cfx delivered..
YOU GET A HIT! YOU GET A HIT! YOU GET A HIT! ...LOL

i really hope this cfx is the last vape I'll get before boundless releases their new all convection unit this fall. I'll go back to the air tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone tried loose kief in the cfx? I'm sure u would have to put some flowers down first and on top...or maybe just load some Kief in the wax canister after u take out the cotton. The sneaky Pete review didn't do it justice..he loaded a dab on top of all the cotton..if the air can vape a pinch of kief and send me to space at the red 410F setting then the cfx sound be killer

djchexxx

Had a group session and the cfx delivered..
YOU GET A HIT! YOU GET A HIT! YOU GET A HIT! ...LOL

i really hope this cfx is the last vape I'll get before boundless releases their new all convection unit this fall. I'll go back to the air tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone tried loose kief in the cfx? I'm sure u would have to put some flowers down first and on top...or maybe just load some Kief in the wax canister after u take out the cotton. The sneaky Pete review didn't do it justice..he loaded a dab on top of all the cotton..if the air can vape a pinch of kief and send me to space at the red 410F setting then the cfx sound be killer
It bothered me. I couldn't help it.
68087933.jpg

Milkytime

Its true, everyone gets a hit, the CF is definitely the easiest vape to pick up and learn instantly. I have had a few sessions with combustion folks, and i don't have to teach them anything. Its very easy to get vapor either hard draw or slow, i think a long medium works best but i have tried hitting it multiple speeds and strengths and it always gives vapor.

WoodyWeedPecker

As for differences, I agree the Boundless vapes use more conduction than the S&B models based on taste.
After all the miscommunications at the beginning, I thought the Boundless vapes were 100% conduction?

Now I don't know what to think?

WoodyWeedPecker,

Milkytime

After all the miscommunications at the beginning, I thought the Boundless vapes were 100% conduction?

Now I don't know what to think?

They are definitely a hybrid @WoodyWeedPecker i think people jumped to conclusions too fast early on.
Taking draws actually heats up the oven and herb more as hot air passes over the ceramic bowl and throughout the herb a lot of heat is retained in the chamber. Back to back hits heats up everything more and you can pull bigger clouds. Letting it sit there while your buddy uses your vape as a microphone definitely cools the bowl down some. I dont know any conduction vape that works like that. Most full conduction vapes i have used you can easily overpower the heater if you draw too fast, you get good vapor production then it just tapers off fast and you have to draw slow or let the vape heat up again.
If i had to guess its maybe 30% convection 70% conduction.

little maggie

Just wondering if there's any news on a boundless water attachment. I'm using my haze wong with water but I thought there was one being made by the boundless folk.

Eatrocks

They are definitely a hybrid @WoodyWeedPecker i think people jumped to conclusions too fast early on.
Taking draws actually heats up the oven and herb more as hot air passes over the ceramic bowl and throughout the herb a lot of heat is retained in the chamber. Back to back hits heats up everything more and you can pull bigger clouds. Letting it sit there while your buddy uses your vape as a microphone definitely cools the bowl down some. I dont know any conduction vape that works like that. Most full conduction vapes i have used you can easily overpower the heater if you draw too fast, you get good vapor production then it just tapers off fast and you have to draw slow or let the vape heat up again.
If i had to guess its maybe 30% convection 70% conduction.

Dude I was just thinking the same figures...like it's at least gotta be 25-30% convection, flavor is too good.

Anyway, just removed the stock screen and popped in one of the giveaway screens I got when I ordered my air, fits perfectly tight, no gaps like on the stock screen, i took a pic of the homemade screen I made for the mouthpiece but I'm such a noob I fucked up trying to post it...ALSO, I tore away the plastic 'screen' on the bottom of the unit to allow max flow (yeahyuh)...the dab tool comes in very handy.

I shined a light down with the stock bowl screen gone...Looks kinda crusty underneath the the chamber through the holes..ran it at 430 with the top off upside down and blew some thru the air intake.

RelaxedNow

Just wondering if there's any news on a boundless water attachment. I'm using my haze wong with water but I thought there was one being made by the boundless folk.

I ordered mine 8 days ago, and the Customer Service rep confirmed they will ship one to FC members at no charge, but they were not yet in stock. That's all I have.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
They are still waiting on wpa's.

Here's how the convection works...
The only thing directly heated in this vape is the bottom half of the ceramic bowl below the herbs. The upper half gets hot almost instantly with conduction heat rising up the chamber walls. There is a metal heat exchanger beneath the bowl that rather quickly gets warmed by the ambient heat below, but is not directly heated. It's this heat exchanger that introduces the convection into the system later in the session (not a lot later, I think). It will be fun speculating how much convection there is, but we will never really know.

busa76

Got another question for the crafty/cfx comparison. How would the people who have used both compare the airflow restriction between the 2 vapes? I love my crafty because of the easy draws to get vapor. I own a haze too, but hate it because of the heavy restriction when taking a draw.

Eatrocks

Loaded the chamber about 1/4 to 1/3 full with some blue cheese. Started at 385 for 7 or 8 hits..an hour later 2 or 3 hits at 425..this morning at least 10 hits at 425...mmmm

Very strong hits all three sessions, last sess being most potent.....i dress impotent so I might as well act impotent....crickets.

Last edited:

WoodyWeedPecker

They are still waiting on wpa's.

Here's how the convection works...
The only thing directly heated in this vape is the bottom half of the ceramic bowl below the herbs. The upper half gets hot almost instantly with conduction heat rising up the chamber walls. There is a metal heat exchanger beneath the bowl that rather quickly gets warmed by the ambient heat below, but is not directly heated. It's this heat exchanger that introduces the convection into the system later in the session (not a lot later, I think). It will be fun speculating how much convection there is, but we will never really know.
What you're describing is 100% conduction.

In reality it shouldn't be the subject of speculation. The company behind the distribution of this vape should tell us the truth about the technical specifications of the vaporizers they distribute. Since Boundless doesn't tell us anything (bad communications), and by reading people's experiences, I gather the Boundless vapes are 100% conduction. I'm not here to sell or market the Boundless vapes or misdirecting the consumers with verbiage, I just want the truth. That said, it can be an excellent 100% conduction vape, but I won't call it convection or hybrid when it's not. I think it's important for the vaping community.

WoodyWeedPecker,

mrboxer

(I also wrote a review on the CF and CFX you can search for on paintthemoon under my author Vaping_Casual)

Quote from CF review. "For me personally, I usually just have my keys, wallet, and phone (maybe chapstick if it’s winter) and I like keeping things pretty minimal that way."

I too prefer to have as little stuff on me as possible. What about the Flowermate Mini is worse? FM Mini design is perfect for concealment, but I´m considering the CF or CFX as well, depending on how much better they are.

I wonder if replacing the Flowermate Mini battery with a better 3200mah one would make a difference? Great reviews, keep it up!

Last edited:

RelaxedNow

What you're describing is 100% conduction.

In reality it shouldn't be the subject of speculation. The company behind the distribution of this vape should tell us the truth about the technical specifications of the vaporizers they distribute. Since Boundless doesn't tell us anything (bad communications), and by reading people's experiences, I gather the Boundless vapes are 100% conduction. I'm not here to sell or market the Boundless vapes or misdirecting the consumers with verbiage, I just want the truth. That said, it can be an excellent 100% conduction vape, but I won't call it convection or hybrid when it's not. I think it's important for the vaping community.

I'm a bit confused.

Yes, they did originally state that the CFX is all convection, but they quickly recanted when FC members and others pointed out their error. I do believe it was an error.

On the other hand, I have a hard time calling it 100% conduction, as mine quickly cools when I stop drawing on it.

I'm no expert though, so somebody please school me further on the difference between convection and conduction.

Justpassedu

I have tried a # of strains with my CFX now and with a almost full oven and a light tamp of my material I usually get 1 full session out of it possibly another half session and I prob take about 15-20 hits and its cashed. I kinda like a loose pack now after some experimenting with tight , medium and loose.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It will be fun speculating how much convection there is, but we will never really know.
Actually, it would be fairly easy to determine by using a thermocouple to measure the temperature in the bowl during the draw. If the temp goes up during the draw, then there is hot air entering the chamber meaning some convection heating is taking place. If the temperature drops during the draw, that would suggest that no convection is occurring. I've done this to measure convective effects for several different vapes in the past. :2c:

:peace:

Eatrocks

Actually, it would be fairly easy to determine by using a thermocouple to measure the temperature in the bowl during the draw. If the temp goes up during the draw, then there is hot air entering the chamber meaning some convection heating is taking place. If the temperature drops during the draw, that would suggest that no convection is occurring. I've done this to measure convective effects for several different vapes in the past. :2c:

:peace:

In that case then Cleary it has some convection going on, I was posting about after I would take a hit and pause the heating the temp will jump 8-15 degrees. After letting the bowl sit without drawing for 30 seconds or so and then pausing the heating the temp usually drops or stays at what u selected.

If u pull out the factory screen u will see that there is a gap between the herb chamber and metal heat exchange.

Eatrocks,
Top Bottom