Boundless CF / CFX / CF-Hybrid

YungLeaner

Yea..hopefully.
...I have no idea what ever caused the first unit to take a dump...I just received a box w/ a new cfx...it would've been interesting to know...no matter I guess...but when something like this happens I don't know...I don't want to sound ungrateful,..or piss anybody off but this isn't a broken piece of molding...or something or even a dead unit,..it was to the point of scorching or worse...I appreciate Boundless' quick reply and offer to replace it,..again...but under my personal circumstances I'm not so sure of want a third after what happened to the second.
And I can also appreciate Boundless stressing no liquid directly inside,..or to use while charging...and I wish that were the case for the sake of an answer...but its not.
Definitely unfortunate and I understand not wanting a 3rd, but Firefly and other respected companies have had much greater QC issues. Unless there's a hidden/unknown flaw that's very widespread, it's simply a game of percentages in which you were very unlucky. Combustion sucks but I don't see any reason for fear of degraded batteries unless the overheat was hot enough to melt composites

djchexxx

Yea i try to be very careful with my unit, i wait until it's completely cool before I charge. There have been a good amount of Chinese ecig mods spontaneously exploding in people pockets...or worse, when they are i having from them. NOT saying boundless has any affiliation with those manufacturers...hell Iphones have exploded with no warning.

I've been digging the 'vape at 380..then an hour or so later finish it off at 420ish (which usually jumps up to mid 430s)

I sure would like to check the Temps inside and outside the chamber with a laser temp reader!!!
Yup, as someone who used to use ecigs the main problem as to why they can explode is the batteries. Thats really the only reason there would be a problem like that.

Same, Im really digging 380 as well. Just perfect.

djchexxx,

Milkytime

@EVIL 55 personally i think you just got double unlucky, so far i think you and lil maggie have the only reported issues of defects. They in both instances just seemed like 1 off bad device's which is bound to happen, and they had issues from the start. Not like they work fine then start having issues, so pretty sure once you get a working model you will be happy. Like say the grasshopper which has known issues that arise after use, the defective CFX's seem to just be a DOA unit, bound to happen. Correct me if im wrong anyone that has had a working CF/CFX then it just took a fat shit after a months use.

@Eatrocks im not suprized that the temp read out is higher after a hit, i find my unit gets hotter with back to back draws, and cooler if say your freind uses the vape as his microphone. After a hit i can see a bit of vapor escaping from the mouthpiece but it tapers off pretty quickly until i see nothing. Compared to say my pax 2 which just leaks vapor constantly. Im pretty sure this is due to the SS spiral heat exchanger that is heated to produce hot air as it passes over the exchanger. Then it goes to the oven with your herb and extracts it (convection) the hot air is also drawn around the ceramic bowl producing a lot of heat to herb (conduction.) A good amount of the heat lingers in the bowl but if you dont hit the device it will cool slightly. Yes it will still cook your herb but not nearly as bad as say pax 2 which continues to cook it all the time.

So in conclusion i like the 385 temp on the CF and im pretty sure i can hit higher temps than the 385 with back to back hits. This is designed like this, if you want a better idea of how your breath is heating up the bowl start on a very low temp lets say setting 2 on the CF or 370, i don't see any visable vapor untill 3-4 pulls in even though the temp says im at 370 you need to use the hot air to heat up the bowl.

Last edited:
Milkytime,

EVlL 55

...yea...that's the thing...the first one worked fine for a couple weeks...then died.
The second combusted my material and clouded out my house after a week of being fine.
These didn't take a fat shit out of the box...they were in use.
Personally..I don't feel comfortable about another unit..my wife about shit her pants when it combusted...we both watched it happen...it was kinda surreal in that it was doing it by itself.
Like I said...perhaps I'm being too cautious..but believe me..no one more than me,..after the fukn fiasco with my mighty wanted this to take its place...and for all intents and purposes it did..twice.
Also...to compare defects between companies as if ones better than the other for having less defects makes no sense to me....a defect is a defect...it's not included in the price.
And I fully understand these things happen w/ these things...especially at a launch...but outside of vapeland,..if this were my car,.or my t.v. or whatever....and it dropped a deuce twice...I'd definitely not be touting they're customer service,..I'd be pitching a giant bitch....as you can see,..in this situation..I clearly am not...I understand..but don't feel comfortable.
Just me tho.

EVlL 55,

RelaxedNow

3 days in, and my CFX is working great. I'm seeing no temperature changes at all, no errors of any sort. Here's to hoping it holds up, though I think the odds are in my favor, as I've seen so few complaints.

What I've really found to be surprising, is that it doesn't seem to cook the herbs much when I'm not drawing on it, until I've been drawing steadily for several minutes. Further, when I shut it down, it cools quickly enough that it doesn't emit vapor for long.

I typically shut it down after I've had enough, even if I'm likely to turn it back on within a few minutes. I think that habit, combined with the low temps I prefer (mostly 340-360, with 380 max), may be doing the trick.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's because I'm fooled by my subjective testing, or maybe it's my use profile, but I'm quite happy so far.

YungLeaner

Oh no...yours is on point...they all are.
I just got unlucky.
Your experience is pretty upsetting, incredibly unlucky and I hope things work out for the better. I would suggest a Pax if you want a vape that's pretty unbreakable and unlikely to fail. The CFX is a brand new product and many of those have hiccups. I have also experienced combustion in almost every vaporizer I've owned, so I don't find it quite as shocking but I understand it can be upsetting, especially when tied to a random increase/surge in temperature.

EDIT: Vaporizers aren't really comparable to TVs or Cars. More comparable to a niche device like a tablet or a smart watch, which re more prone to failure...but more niche in fact, and an industry whose unfortunate legal ambiguities in regards to its MJ connection have held back its progress as a set of businesses with carefully followed rules and regulations, let alone safe materials. Some people still love Hopper Labs and RBT despite waiting a year or so (more for Hopper) to ever even get the vapes that they paid for. It's not this easy with every company, and Boundless has provided tear down explanations of their units, firmware updates in response to user request, and awesome customer service. Yes, it sucks that two devices broke for you. Yes, it is fair to end your relationship with this company. But based on my experience I'm a huge fan of both CFX and Boundless as a company. Looking forward to jumping on their Convection bandwagon :)

Last edited:
YungLeaner,

EVlL 55

Thanks...yea..everything about it screams next best portable.
Like I said I only use it waiting for the underdog to get hot...kinda a pre-game....it was so fast and easy.
EDIT:
..I'm glad your jumping on the bandwagon...and that you think it's ok for me to end my relationship w/ Boundless.
Never once did I say anything derogatory or insulting...I put them on a pedestal of sorts..if you read the posts you'd know that...and I don't find combustion shocking...I'm 48 years old and have been burning since im 13....but i live in a tight assed,..no smoking apartment complex just outside of n.y.c..perhaps you'd find it more shocking when the fuzz is at your door in a Chris Christie run state....I quit smoking grass because I don't need any format of that shit at my door....that's it...Same as i had to quit playing drums after 25+ years because the shits too loud.

Last edited:
EVlL 55,
Reactions: vapen00b

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Boundless vapes, where are you?

Could you look at your pm box? and I tried to contact you using the contact e-mail in your website without success....

Maybe did you get issues to find a shipping method for international...?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Apparently the lights are supposed to blink which indicates low battery, however the software on the unit is not coded correctly from my understanding so you will have to guess when it's about to go out. They should definitely fix this as this is more than easy to fix for a decent programmer.

As for replacement parts, it's best to contact Boundless as I'm pretty certain once sales start booming you'll see all the accessories available on their website.

As a side question, how does it stack up to your Arizer products so far?

I've used it 3 times so far.... I don't like not knowing how much battery life is left, I'm spoiled by the replacement batts on the air. Plastcy taste still hanging in after 3 uses, but improving..

I'm an *air master* as far as herb prep, temp, draw technique, etc, so I need to master the CF before a fair comparison can be made. It hits pretty good, but I get the air to sing every time, no effort. Lots to learn.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Yea..hopefully.
...I have no idea what ever caused the first unit to take a dump...I just received a box w/ a new cfx...it would've been interesting to know...no matter I guess...but when something like this happens I don't know...I don't want to sound ungrateful,..or piss anybody off but this isn't a broken piece of molding...or something or even a dead unit,..it was to the point of scorching or worse...I appreciate Boundless' quick reply and offer to replace it,..again...but under my personal circumstances I'm not so sure of want a third after what happened to the second.
And I can also appreciate Boundless stressing no liquid directly inside,..or to use while charging...and I wish that were the case for the sake of an answer...but its not.

Unfortunately, I get you. The same thing happened to me with an Ascent years ago while on a boat. Luckily I had a Solo with me as well so not all was lost. But it's a weird feeling when your vape shoots up and combusts on its own. And I couldn't get the Ascent to turn off...it just kept on going. When I look back at it, no one was in danger, but I was scared! I've never used one since and it bugs me, because the taste on that thing was divine. Hopefully you can recover and still enjoy what I consider to be a really good vape, but I wouldn't blame you if you just moved on, either. I wonder if using a CF instead of a CFX would 'feel' safer at first...

stickstones,
Reactions: EVlL 55

Eatrocks

I've used it 3 times so far.... I don't like not knowing how much battery life is left, I'm spoiled by the replacement batts on the air. Plastcy taste still hanging in after 3 uses, but improving..

I'm an *air master* as far as herb prep, temp, draw technique, etc, so I need to master the CF before a fair comparison can be made. It hits pretty good, but I get the air to sing every time, no effort. Lots to learn.

Yea same here with the air, I've had ecig mods for years so I got lots of 18650 battery's. I could get about 6 sessions before the light turned red...then swap out a battery. But carrying around 18650s sucks, the battery life/heat up time crushes the air. It also always felt like I wasn't getting full extraction from the air...but collecting the reclaim from the air stem is very easy. In comparison the air gives u a much hotter draw. Getting two full sessions outta one micro load on the cfx is priceless.

I've been drifting to the mighty/crafty page...everyone there is on their 4th warrantied unit lol. Getting 4 sessions max on the mighty is horrible. I'd like to get a grasshopper but I'm not paying 500 on ebay for a used gh that will prob die in 2 weeks like most of them.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yea same here with the air, I've had ecig mods for years so I got lots of 18650 battery's. I could get about 6 sessions before the light turned red...then swap out a battery. But carrying around 18650s sucks, the battery life/heat up time crushes the air. It also always felt like I wasn't getting full extraction from the air...but collecting the reclaim from the air stem is very easy. In comparison the air gives u a much hotter draw. Getting two full sessions outta one micro load on the cfx is priceless.

I've been drifting to the mighty/crafty page...everyone there is on their 4th warrantied unit lol. Getting 4 sessions max on the mighty is horrible. I'd like to get a grasshopper but I'm not paying 500 on ebay for a used gh that will prob die in 2 weeks like most of them.

I was looking at the CFX and the Mighty not long ago. I still might get a CFX but I decided to grab the Mighty first since the bugs are worked out. I can't wait to hit a CFX and compare though!

Keep in mind there are A LOT of Mighty's out there and for every complaint there are 50 people who love theirs. I just got a Mighty about 2 months ago now. I use it for about 4-6 bowls a day so you actually get 6 bowls per battery on it. Plus it can charge in the car off 12v. It has definitely taken over as my main vape and daily driver. I even use it more than the Underdog and Haze 3 now. Not sure if I will need to send it in for replacement, BUT if I do at least they will fix it or send you a new one for the first 3 years.
I'm not sure if this thing will last forever but with a 3 year warranty and the way it hits I don't think I care. I almost don't even use my other vapes because the Mighty is so good...
I know I see a few Mighty owners bought CFX's later. See how they like them in comparison. Plus keep in mind you can almost buy 2x CFX's for the price of 1 mighty.

My Evo and Turbine HT JUST arrived at the door. I'm salivating
:mmmm:

Vaping_Casual

I was looking at the CFX and the Mighty not long ago. I still might get a CFX but I decided to grab the Mighty first since the bugs are worked out. I can't wait to hit a CFX and compare though!

Keep in mind there are A LOT of Mighty's out there and for every complaint there are 50 people who love theirs. I just got a Mighty about 2 months ago now. I use it for about 4-6 bowls a day so you actually get 6 bowls per battery on it. Plus it can charge in the car off 12v. It has definitely taken over as my main vape and daily driver. I even use it more than the Underdog and Haze 3 now. Not sure if I will need to send it in for replacement, BUT if I do at least they will fix it or send you a new one for the first 3 years.
I'm not sure if this thing will last forever but with a 3 year warranty and the way it hits I don't think I care. I almost don't even use my other vapes because the Mighty is so good...
I know I see a few Mighty owners bought CFX's later. See how they like them in comparison. Plus keep in mind you can almost buy 2x CFX's for the price of 1 mighty.

My Evo and Turbine HT JUST arrived at the door. I'm salivating
:mmmm:

Good choice on the Mighty! I actually hopefully will be getting a Crafty soon to do a comparison between the CFX and it. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on comparisons as well.

I'll take a short second to introduce myself around here I suppose as I'm going to be hanging around here a lot more!
Greetings everyone, I've recently decided to start pursue my passion for reviews and vapes together! I have been working hard to provide meaningful and well written discussion and reviews. I used to just constantly lurk and puff on my Flowermate Mini, but decided to just take the dive and jump into reviewing and try it out. I've published a handful of articles online and am working on doing video comparisons and reviews too!

I really enjoy community feedback and if anyone has questions, suggestions, thoughts, or whatever, just let me know! I really hope to start seeing all the regulars around here more! I usually hang out on Reddit, but lurked here for a while on and off.

(I also wrote a review on the CF and CFX you can search for on paintthemoon under my author Vaping_Casual)

Edit: Removed direct link to review because I think it violates some rules. :doh::(

Last edited:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Good choice on the Mighty! I actually hopefully will be getting a Crafty soon to do a comparison between the CFX and it. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on comparisons as well.

I'll take a short second to introduce myself around here I suppose as I'm going to be hanging around here a lot more!
Greetings everyone, I've recently decided to start pursue my passion for reviews and vapes together! I have been working hard to provide meaningful and well written discussion and reviews. I used to just constantly lurk and puff on my Flowermate Mini, but decided to just take the dive and jump into reviewing and try it out. I've published a handful of articles online and am working on doing video comparisons and reviews too!

I really enjoy community feedback and if anyone has questions, suggestions, thoughts, or whatever, just let me know! I really hope to start seeing all the regulars around here more! I usually hang out on Reddit, but lurked here for a while on and off.

(I also wrote a review on the CF and CFX here: http://www.paintthemoon.org/boundless-cf-and-boundless-cfx-vaporizers-review/ !)

Nice first post and review, nice to have you here!

djchexxx

Thanks! I already recognize some people from back on reddit too! (hey @djchexxx ), and with this greeting, I feel right at home!

I'll be doing some really fun stuff in the coming weeks, and I'll try and keep everyone updated on what I'm doing!
I see you :tup: :cool:

Welcome to FC dude! Looking forward to hearing more updates!

Vaping_Casual

@djchexxx, is your current vapes accurate? If so, I have to ask, how is the CFX vs Underdog and Grasshopper?

I feel like the Underdog for sure is the home, solo (maybe one other) person usage, the GH is for quick, stealthy draws (also maybe one other person use) or milking glass on the go, so where do you feel your CFX falls in? Do you session with it or use it with others more?

Vaping_Casual,

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
So this cf/Cfx vape seems pretty new on the market. Apparently people like it.

From the review posted a few posts a above, the leftover material was still pretty light in colour. Could be desireable for some, but I don't repurpose my vaped leftovers so I prefer to extract everything on the first go.

This guy is half the price of the mighty and looks very similar design wise, even the way the top piece connects to the bowl as well as the straw like swivel mouthpiece.

Is this "considered" just a knockoff of the mighty/crafty? Or has there been enough innovation to say it is an evolution of progression of one?

mikek9,
Top Bottom