dannydroid

Google Nazi
Nothings impossible depending on your skill level, and the amount of time / effort you're willing to sink into it. But I say it's not worth the time or effort.

PIU has a teardown you can look at, but really, it's not worth it, and you'll be the first I know of it you do attempt it.

Wait and get a Tera (CFV 2.0).
[Theres also an upgrade program for CFV1.0 owners, where you get the Tera for $50 I believe, but this upgrade program is alittle while away currently]

Hope that helps!

edit: do you mind me asking why you'd like replace the battery? Boundless offer 3 years on their vapes (not sure if that includes the battery, most warranties for battery is a few months), and depending on the issue, you may be able to get it replaced.

Last edited:
dannydroid,

sickmanfraud

Wait and get a Tera (CFV 2.0).
[Theres also an upgrade program for CFV1.0 owners, where you get the Tera for $50 I believe, but this upgrade program is alittle while away currently]

The upgrade requires that you paid full price for CFV, and there is a date cut off.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: KeroZen

lookhigh

FC member
I can remember a sale on them but have no more details.
The trade up will be a later phase as pre orders are filled first.

lookhigh,

dannydroid

Google Nazi
PIU / VapoShop
And this going out of style price

I've never seen an official retailer sell it for less that $149, if I did, I would have most likely brought one myself :p

The upgrade program has most likely been delayed due to the first shipment recall, but why I suggested going through warranty was because in they end, they get a Tera with dual removable battery for $50, which also fix their [assumed] battery issues, no real effort required. The only thing they'd have to do is wait (and its totally down to them if they want to, I'm just making a suggestion).

dannydroid,

jdent3

PIU / VapoShop
And this going out of style price

I've never seen an official retailer sell it for less that $149, if I did, I would have most likely brought one myself :p

The upgrade program has most likely been delayed due to the first shipment recall, but why I suggested going through warranty was because in they end, they get a Tera with dual removable battery for $50, which also fix their [assumed] battery issues, no real effort required. The only thing they'd have to do is wait (and its totally down to them if they want to, I'm just making a suggestion).
Puffitup was selling the CFV for around $30 I believe it was their black Friday sale a few months ago. This is obviously past the cutoff date for the upgrade but I just thought I'd mention it.

dannydroid

Google Nazi
It appears you're right.

PIU did sell it for $75 (Good price, even with poop battery life tbh) on Black Friday 2017 (Black Friday 2016 was 25% off), but Black Friday is in November ;)

dannydroid,

sweetherb

It appears you're right.

PIU did sell it for $75 (Good price, even with poop battery life tbh) on Black Friday 2017 (Black Friday 2016 was 25% off), but Black Friday is in November ;)

I bought one of these in the BF sale and it stank of chemicals. I contacted boundless, who sent me a replacement......which also stank of chemicals.

Take a look at the tear-down on the puffitup blog and you will clearly see plastic tape in the airpath.

I personally would look to another company for a portable vape, as I could not in good conscience recommend this company.

sweetherb,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I already asked @PuffItUp to clarify the polyimide tape visible in the CFV teardown, whether it's really exposed to the air path or not, but got no answer.

My SwiftPro (same vape, different shell) had strictly zero smell out of the box and didn't really require any burn-off. I think several CFV users also reported zero smell in this thread, while some others complained about the robot-farts.

Anyway, no big deal since it's hard to recommend the CFV/SwiftPro for a primary vape due to the battery life (although it could be acceptable if you have a real 2A+ charger, in which case a 15min top-up is enough to get you another session)

But for a secondary (or more) unit it's pretty good. I have tons of excellent vapes, yet I enjoy regularly to have a session or two with my SwiftPro. I like how idiot-proof it is: I just draw hard and I get good vapor. Taste is pretty good when the session starts but doesn't last as long as say the RBT vapes for instance, for a reason I can't really explain. But the experience is quite enjoyable and the vape is so light you can easily forget you are carrying it in your pocket.

Dynalowrider

Was going through my clutter and found a Boundless CFV Micro Bubbler. I don't remember how much water to put in it. Where do I fill it to? Thanks in advance. Doc

Dynalowrider,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I already asked @PuffItUp to clarify the polyimide tape visible in the CFV teardown, whether it's really exposed to the air path or not, but got no answer.

My SwiftPro (same vape, different shell) had strictly zero smell out of the box and didn't really require any burn-off. I think several CFV users also reported zero smell in this thread, while some others complained about the robot-farts.

Anyway, no big deal since it's hard to recommend the CFV/SwiftPro for a primary vape due to the battery life (although it could be acceptable if you have a real 2A+ charger, in which case a 15min top-up is enough to get you another session)

But for a secondary (or more) unit it's pretty good. I have tons of excellent vapes, yet I enjoy regularly to have a session or two with my SwiftPro. I like how idiot-proof it is: I just draw hard and I get good vapor. Taste is pretty good when the session starts but doesn't last as long as say the RBT vapes for instance, for a reason I can't really explain. But the experience is quite enjoyable and the vape is so light you can easily forget you are carrying it in your pocket.

I agree!

Wonder if the taste difference is due in part to the HSA mesh screen vs. however the Swift screen is made?

Fat Freddy,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I don't know. Sometimes it feels like a good ol session conduction vape in the sense that it appears to be able to fully deplete the terps and the taste, then you bump the temperature level and production restarts but taste is a bit meh afterwards...

That being said, I've stopped doing temperature steps with it lately. Not enough battery to enjoy long sessions or you only get one bowl per charge. So when you start directly at near max temp, the effect is less noticeable.

I guess it's what happens in RBT vapes, the "full bodied" hit is because we ride close to the max temperature all the time right from the start and extract all at once? Still I prefer the RBT taste, it can stay delicious close to the end of the bowl...

Keioz

Does anybody knows how to collect that reclaim goodness that forms inside the mouthpiece screen plate?

Keioz,

curtiscaped

I haven't seen much action or love here so wanted to post my long term view, having bought one on the pre orders.

For my particular purposes it's one of the best I've used. If you like to take a hit or two as well as sessions it's perfect. Much cooler and efficient than the Grasshopper which I also have. And it heats up fast enough for me to be satisfied as an on demand, much easier and less technique than the firefly. The efficiency and smoothness are very good. I also love the Vapcap, but sometimes the minimal thinking you have to do with it are a bother. I've branded myself : )

But recently my original one broke, got a new one and it seems to work even better, or my technique improved, or its the more dank stash, which is harder in NYC. But I've noticed I can get the first 5 to 8 hits working well as low as 350. But am drawing slower and still fairly long time but similar to Firefly draw or MFLB. Still loved and great customer service!
Cheers

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

I haven't seen much action or love here so wanted to post my long term view, having bought one on the pre orders.

For my particular purposes it's one of the best I've used. If you like to take a hit or two as well as sessions it's perfect. Much cooler and efficient than the Grasshopper which I also have. And it heats up fast enough for me to be satisfied as an on demand, much easier and less technique than the firefly. The efficiency and smoothness are very good. I also love the Vapcap, but sometimes the minimal thinking you have to do with it are a bother. I've branded myself : )

But recently my original one broke, got a new one and it seems to work even better, or my technique improved, or its the more dank stash, which is harder in NYC. But I've noticed I can get the first 5 to 8 hits working well as low as 350. But am drawing slower and still fairly long time but similar to Firefly draw or MFLB. Still loved and great customer service!
Cheers

This is information you should be aware of. The people who bought CFV before a set date and price will be able to upgrade the CFV to the new Tera for $50. If part of the CFV pre-orders you should qualify.

curtiscaped

This is information you should be aware of. The people who bought CFV before a set date and price will be able to upgrade the CFV to the new Tera for $50. If part of the CFV pre-orders you should qualify.

Thanks dude, I was a pre order and am interested!

curtiscaped,
Has anyone ever tried to replace or have any info on replacing the internal CFV battery?

Yeah, I just replaced mine with KeepPower IMR 18350 1200mAh 10A. Why? Because when I'm out biking, sometimes it's a few sessions short. I get an extra 2 sessions ish out of the higher mAH. The original is 800, these are around 1150 in reality. You need good soldering skills and a dremel and ingenuity.

The batteries are in series, so just replace them with the same thing in series. However they are without a casing (originals), so you have to modify part of the housing to get them to fit near the bowl. Or modify the batteries buuuuuut that's on you. Then just put it back together, pretty straight forward.

My teardown pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZYWIlI6o_9N3hBYjQ0QkhKblFHdnFWdGhPOVRCNFRSR2x3/view?usp=sharing

The keeppower cell size difference due to casing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZYWIlI6o_9TThfajhNTlBwdWZrVm5lTlNqV2RGeHlnS2NZ/view?usp=sharing

Where you would have to modify the casing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZYWIlI6o_9Z09lLWd2Wkg2WHNCLTl2bDZDOTA3VnY2SURn/view?usp=sharing

Note that you also see I've put in an internal screen. It's there in case I loose the screen on the go but I think it should have been there in the beginning.

The rest of my mods.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZYWIlI6o_9V1g2clBNczBKQVFmUmVodjZuU0R4bENyZldr/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZYWIlI6o_9TFV3WFc5Z2w4Zjc0ZHU5ejlTcVNvWUFQOHhv/view?usp=sharing

Upon inspecting dude's more complete teardown of the device, I'm not so keen on trying the airflow mod I was gonna do. However that doesn't mean I won't figure something out, not sure but it seems the device is airflow limited for the heating coils. I'm unsure if it's even wise to change that as it might change the efficiency of the heating element. My next mod is going to be a separate battery plug and switch, the USB pass through is nice however if I could get an 8.4v external power source for at home or something......

Tera is sold out everywhere I was willing to shop, so I settled with this and quickly got to work. Yeah first post, new user, suck it. If asked I can post better battery pics but I didn't feel like making a tutorial that could wreck devices if you fuck shit up. I'm not teaching battery or soldering safety and if you know that enough you shouldn't need the pics.

[Edit] I advice caution upon doing complete teardowns, when you put it back together the power button can be finicky. I broke mine and had to solder it back on, word of warning. It's a 4 post button, tiny legs. I didn't clean it up cause I was in a panic but you would probably want to fully clean the pcb and trace work if you break it off. It's hard af.

Last edited:

notoriousLrg

sTrange cLouds
Yeah, I just replaced mine with KeepPower IMR 18350 1200mAh 10A.
:clap: well done mrb. Since I posted that, I got a Square. And the issue of material on the CFV heating element reared its ugly head. So I put it on the back burner. But now my :: is headed back to Haze for more warranty work, I took the CFV apart to try and inspect the heating element but determined that separating the inner and outer core of the element was highly invasive and a procedure likely to fail in my hands. I'm not sure if Randy was able to get his CFV back together after his PIU teardown.

If you ever get around to changing the airflow at the heater, please post as you did for the battery b/c I really like how my cfv performs. Simple convection vaping without all the guesswork is a little harder to find then I thought.

but good news is that boundless announced yesterday that they are expecting some tera v3s tmrw, shipping june 1 and hopes to start CFV upgrade mid July.

notoriousLrg,
Reactions: Likes2vape
:clap: well done mrb. Since I posted that, I got a Square. And the issue of material on the CFV heating element reared its ugly head. So I put it on the back burner. But now my :: is headed back to Haze for more warranty work, I took the CFV apart to try and inspect the heating element but determined that separating the inner and outer core of the element was highly invasive and a procedure likely to fail in my hands. I'm not sure if Randy was able to get his CFV back together after his PIU teardown.

If you ever get around to changing the airflow at the heater, please post as you did for the battery b/c I really like how my cfv performs. Simple convection vaping without all the guesswork is a little harder to find then I thought.

but good news is that boundless announced yesterday that they are expecting some tera v3s tmrw, shipping june 1 and hopes to start CFV upgrade mid July.

OOOOOoooo Good news for new Tera in stock. I'd still get one and have my CFV as a backup. Yeah, after looking at his teardown it seemed a bit complex. I'll post again if I work on that, maybe after I get a tera so I can actually tear it apart without worry.

Yeah at 400f ish I get 5/6 good vapes out of it now. I just got them modded a few days at most, but it is noticeable. Cause that battery life is trash, sorry. haha Just trash.

What keeps me on this and not wanting another is that it seems as the only pure convection vape. I say pure because of the plastics and materials used, they do not absorb heat like many other devices with ceramic or metal bowls. It's got a super quick heat up, and with the EQ baskets it's a dream. I can honestly say the only downside I've had (outside of modding) is the battery, everything else is extremely satisfying.

I also was smoking quite a bit of dry, huge tolerance and a single bowl from this works very well. I also came from the early days of e-cigs, where you kind of bought a device off it's ability to mod and preform. At least I got really used to customizing mech mods and RDAs a lot. So I kind of see it as a normal thing, and this device has a lot to work with pretty easy. I'm thinking of cutting out the tinted plastic a bit and gluing in something more clear. In the day you can't see crap through that tinted window.

Boundless, sell different window tints and make it re-movable. It's the worst ever!

I'm also looking forward to getting a Tera and modding it.

As I was typing this, a quick idea came to mind. If the heating coil works as I think, you might just get away with removing a section of the bottom and gluing another tube of X diameter instead of removing the one and tearing it all apart.

The main issue in my mind though is that the heater coils have a specific amount of draw designed to only allow so much air in the chamber. So that the coils can heat the air properly, too much airflow and the coils would have to pump more heat. More heat, more power, however the device is probably amp limited. So the amount of power it produces is choked, so there's a heat cap. That sets an airflow cap. =( Best bet is you can increase the airflow but then the temp settings are going to be off when you draw. So if you were aiming at like 400F but really setting it to 445 you might have a little leway. Not much and not enough to really attempt it.

However if adding another tube works without major modification and gives a tiny bit more airflow without removing much internal resistance (major work there) then that's all you'd get but it would work. That would just require mind numbing work though. You'd have to pretty much guess what stuff to remove (I think it's a circle air path, so not hard guess work). Then poxy (no glue, poxy) another air hole and do bottom piece mods. I'm just not going to do that work because IMO the gain wouldn't justify the work or effort.

If I do another project soon, it would be the metal bowl and dremel work. =D I want less mass but retain the inside bowl completely. This does two things, reduces the amount of heat it absorbs and shortens the time it takes for it to fully absorb/discharge heat. I like it, but I can tell it's absorbing heat during a session and it's balls lame.

Anywho, those are my thoughts about the heating chamber. Convection and airflow are hard to really nail, as then you need sensors to boost power during draw and the boost gets more for whatever CFM you are moving through. It also may handle it but seriously destroy battery life which is already not good.

mushroomboy,

Hey Nineteen

Can anyone please tell me. Is this vape cool just to use around the house if you have other vapes. I have always wanted to try it. I know the battery life leaves a lot to be desired, but I do have other vapes and rarely vape outside of the house. I just want a cheap convection vaporizer Thanks.

Hey Nineteen,

sickmanfraud

Can anyone please tell me. Is this vape cool just to use around the house if you have other vapes. I have always wanted to try it. I know the battery life leaves a lot to be desired, but I do have other vapes and rarely vape outside of the house. I just want a cheap convection vaporizer Thanks.

The CFV is already being replaced in the Boundless product line. The Tera has had some issues, but it is the successor to the CFV.

sickmanfraud,

FabulatorPoeta

Where has the time gone?

@Hey Nineteen. Though I rarely use it now, I did enjoy the CFV but... the resitriction of the airflow remained for me an issue. I use almost exclusively a VapCap now. For a battery operated vape I am more inclined to use Healthy Rips Fury which has almost 0 restriction, is mainly convection and is quite affordable. Worth taking a look at the FC thread. The posts are eloquent as they are for Dynavap VapCap. In my personal experience, the comments are right on.

Hey Nineteen

@Hey Nineteen. Though I rarely use it now, I did enjoy the CFV but... the resitriction of the airflow remained for me an issue. I use almost exclusively a VapCap now. For a battery operated vape I am more inclined to use Healthy Rips Fury which has almost 0 restriction, is mainly convection and is quite affordable. Worth taking a look at the FC thread. The posts are eloquent as they are for Dynavap VapCap. In my personal experience, the comments are right on.

Thanks you for the answer. I was also thinking about the comparison between the CFV and the Health Rip Fury. You have answered my question. HR it is then.

Top Bottom