Cl4ud3

You must be one of the lucky ones then (and Boundless must have useless QC for there to be this much variance between units).

This is the strongest, most noxious smell I have ever encountered with a vape (I have tested pretty much every vape released in the last 15 years). For this smell to be so strong, I am guessing the PCB or at least some electronics/solder must be in the airpath.

Very disappointed.
I've had 2 units, both perform identically and had no smell at all.

You must be one of the lucky ones then

You've had one unit and found this, does that mean it's common and we are the lucky ones to not have had the issue ? Maybe ask for a replacement.

sweetherb

Still doing burn offs!

I can't get rid of that smell! Haven't even vaped with it yet. Am I the only one who's CFV smells that strong?

Did you ever resolve this? My new unit is also stinky and I can't get rid of the smell.

I've had 2 units, both perform identically and had no smell at all.

You've had one unit and found this, does that mean it's common and we are the lucky ones to not have had the issue ? Maybe ask for a replacement.

Thanks for your reply. I am delighted that your units work well and have no smell, although I am not sure as to why you would believe that your experience is representative, yet mine is not.

Looking through the thread, it seems I am certainly not the only one who has experienced this smell.

Also, I live in Europe, so "returns" cost me a fortune and take weeks to process (not to mention paying duty on the original unit AND the replacement). It is not unreasonable in 2017 to expect QC to pick up on things like this. It is always easier to fix before it is shipped rather than after.

If it comes to the point where I have to ship it back, I'll just cut my losses and throw it in the trash, as the time and money involved are too great.

Last edited by a moderator:
sweetherb,

Cl4ud3

Thanks for your reply. I am delighted that your units work well and have no smell, although I am not sure as to why you would believe that your experience is representative, yet mine is not.

Looking through the thread, it seems I am certainly not the only one who has experienced this smell.

Also, I live in Europe, so "returns" cost me a fortune and take weeks to process (not to mention paying duty on the original unit AND the replacement). It is not unreasonable in 2017 to expect QC to pick up on things like this. It is always easier to fix before it is shipped rather than after.

If it comes to the point where I have to ship it back, I'll just throw it in the trash, as the time and money involved are too great.
I was just pointing out that 2 complaints in this thread over 1 issue doesn't equate to useless QC. I was not saying your experience isn't representative but your blanket statements that those of us with good units were in some lucky minority are wrong.

You simply could of got the unit in Europe but decided to take a gamble getting it from the US cheap, it needs returning because of a fault and now it's not going to be the bargain it would of been.

sweetherb

I was just pointing out that 2 complaints in this thread over 1 issue doesn't equate to useless QC. I was not saying your experience isn't representative but your blanket statements that those of us with good units were in some lucky minority are wrong.

You simply could of got the unit in Europe but decided to take a gamble getting it from the US cheap, it needs returning because of a fault and now it's not going to be the bargain it would of been.

Completely disagree on all counts. Will wait and see what the nice guys at puffitup say. Let's just leave it at that. My EVO is heat soaked and ready for use. Vape on!

sweetherb,

Likes2vape

You must be one of the lucky ones then (and Boundless must have useless QC for there to be this much variance between units).

This is the strongest, most noxious smell I have ever encountered with a vape (I have tested pretty much every vape released in the last 15 years). For this smell to be so strong, I am guessing the PCB or at least some electronics/solder must be in the airpath.

Very disappointed.
There has been very little reports of robot farts. The cfv has many fans and the biggest complaint from everyone is battery life. Looks like you may have gotten a bad unit.

b0

Cloudy...

My unit was bought in puffitup a year ago and never had any smell. In fact, I would say that if you check reddit and here you will see that not many people have had the same issue as you, so probably you're one of the unlucky ones.

For this smell to be so strong, I am guessing the PCB or at least some electronics/solder must be in the airpath.

Very disappointed.

You can check this tear down:

http://blog.puffitup.com/2016/12/boundless-cfv-the-tear-down/

Seems like an isolated airpath!

With this I'm not saying that you're not right and it sucks that you had this bad luck, specially after buying from US. But all of us that do it, know the risk. Has hapened to me a few times and probably will hapen again. But at least you have Randy and he will give you an amazing customer service, don't worry :)

Razor

I've bought about 3 vapes from them so far and I've had zero smell as well other than from weed of course. My first vape was the CFV. That sucks you're having issues. If puffitup doesnt do something, try contacting bndlss directly on their website. I've never actually heard of this being a problem with boundless before.

Razor,
Reactions: KeroZen

lookhigh

FC member
Are you sure the smell is from the airpath? There is a new smell from these vapes like most new electronic products. I would try a few burnoffs and see if things improve. Your shipping costs are expensive :worms:

lookhigh,

sweetherb

Are you sure the smell is from the airpath? There is a new smell from these vapes like most new electronic products. I would try a few burnoffs and see if things improve. Your shipping costs are expensive :worms:

Since receiving the unit, I have done 10 full burn-off sessions at max temp. The smell persists. I have not loaded any material into the chamber. A very brief pull resulted in a strong chemical-plasticy taste which stayed in my mouth for 5 minutes. I own a Mighty, which is also made from PEEK, yet never smelled at all from day one.

Cheap shipping with insurance is around $25 each way from Europe to the US. Using Fedex, UPS etc would be around $75 each way. I don't set the prices...

sweetherb,
Reactions: lookhigh

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hey I heard back from my Smiss contact. Their product manager told me that the spiral heat exchanger inside the CFV and SwiftPro is stainless steel and not aluminium.

sweetherb

I opened a ticket and Boundless agreed to send me a new unit for free, together with a prepaid return shipping label for the defective unit. I'll post my experiences here when it arrives and I have tested it.

So my replacement arrived and I fired it up.

Although not quite as pronounced as the original unit, it still smells of PCB/plastic/chemicals and also let off quite a bit of visible "stuff" during the first few burnoffs. I guess this is to be expected with a new product of this kind.

I have now done a whole day's worth of burnoffs (at least 15 full sessions) and the smell/taste is still there. It is definitely not coming from the MP, the screens or the insert rings. It is coming from inside the vape.

I studied the tear-down on PUI, and the airpath actually does appear to be completely isolated. However, if that is the case, why can I still pull a small amount of air through the chamber with the intake hole completely blocked? Where is that air coming from? On the EVO, for example, if you plug the intake and breathe in, it is an airtight seal.

I also noticed in the pictures of this thread (great post #723 by @Vape Dr.) that material can indeed find its way into the inside of the vape. Not sure how that would even be possible if the airpath was sealed off.

I think I am going to return both units and ask for a refund. Although I can't really fault their customer service, I doubt I will ever buy another vape from this company. Oh well, back to the Mighty as my portable...

sweetherb,

lookhigh

FC member
This been a convection vape doing burnoffs may not be very usefull? Hot air would not get to the bowl etc unless there is airflow.

lookhigh,

sweetherb

This been a convection vape doing burnoffs may not be very usefull? Hot air would not get to the bowl etc unless there is airflow.

I hear you. This is why I also blew air through the intake and out the bowl at max temp. No change :-(

sweetherb,

b0

Cloudy...
I studied the tear-down on PUI, and the airpath actually does appear to be completely isolated. However, if that is the case, why can I still pull a small amount of air through the chamber with the intake hole completely blocked? Where is that air coming from? On the EVO, for example, if you plug the intake and breathe in, it is an airtight seal.

Mouthpiece, the seal of the mouthpiece is not 100% airtight.

sweetherb

Mouthpiece, the seal of the mouthpiece is not 100% airtight.

I agree, that could well be the case.

Looking at the tear-down on PIU again, it looks like there is tape stuck to the inside and outside sections of the ceramic heater to hold the wires in place. I am guessing this is what is heating up and producing the smell/taste. So much for isolated airpath :-(

Anyway, I wish you all a very happy Christmas with lots of smooth and tasty vapor!

sweetherb,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I must admit that I was shocked when I saw that tear-down and I asked @PuffItUp to clarify whether this polyimide tape was really exposed to the air stream or not, but I didn't get any answer.

But I know this bloody smell by heart, having beta tested all the FlowerMate range or close to it, and this time for the Swift-Pro, I was positively surprised as my unit was completely taste neutral out of the bow. I did a few burn-ins just for my peace of mind but they seemed unnecessary: zero visible off-gassing and absolutely no parasitic smell.

So either the Swift-Pro is built differently than the CFV (but they told me it was just a different shell) or not all CFV have this exposed tape, as a lot of users in this thread reported no off-taste whatsoever. I'm a bit puzzled...

sweetherb

I must admit that I was shocked when I saw that tear-down and I asked @PuffItUp to clarify whether this polyimide tape was really exposed to the air stream or not, but I didn't get any answer.

But I know this bloody smell by heart, having beta tested all the FlowerMate range or close to it, and this time for the Swift-Pro, I was positively surprised as my unit was completely taste neutral out of the bow. I did a few burn-ins just for my peace of mind but they seemed unnecessary: zero visible off-gassing and absolutely no parasitic smell.

So either the Swift-Pro is built differently than the CFV (but they told me it was just a different shell) or not all CFV have this exposed tape, as a lot of users in this thread reported no off-taste whatsoever. I'm a bit puzzled...

Bingo, we have a winner! My guess is that a significant percentage of the units have the smell, but not everyone is as cautious as we are. Most will just load material and puff away, potentially inhaling unpleasantness.

Either way, I'm done with Boundless. Alice at PIU kindly offered to take the stinky unit back, refund my return postage and give me store credit for the full amount. Now that's proper service!

MinT

I hate to hear about CFV's QC being so bad. I was just about to buy one of these. Guess I should wait to see if they fix the problem or just look for something else.

MinT,

sickmanfraud

I hate to hear about CFV's QC being so bad. I was just about to buy one of these. Guess I should wait to see if they fix the problem or just look for something else.

The major/only real problem with the CFV is the battery life (4 4 minute sessions on a charge).

The CFV has already been replaced by a model called http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/boundless-tera-cfv-2-0.25309/

There have been some delays, but the Tera is worth waiting for.

Top Bottom