Boundless CFC

OF

So, after some considerable use, my MP has cracked on both sides where the latch tabs are (center of the wide sides at the bowl end). The top comes off 'by itself' now. I may have invited this carrying it in my pocket?

FWIW I had the same problem with the FM Aura early on. Two MPs cracked on me when they first came out, a later change seems to have fixed it as I had no further problems once PIU got the updated part to me. Perhaps the same sort of issue is happening here, but I don't notice guys in this thread reporting it?

It still works, of course, but needs replacing IMO. Since I may have broken it myself, I'm looking to buy a replacement (and a spare in case), but PIU doesn't carry them (yet?). I emailed them and will let you good folks know how it works out.

OF

So, true to form for PIU, I just got notice of the free replacement has shipped. They had to wait on me to confirm the address, but that's mighty fast service if you ask me. And remember, I was trying to buy a couple.......

2.5 hours from first email to being shipped out....including my delay in confirming the address. Beat that! If only typical Customer Service was a fraction of this good the world would turn a bit smoother I think.

OF

Last edited:

Cl4ud3

So, after some considerable use, my MP has cracked on both sides where the latch tabs are (center of the wide sides at the bowl end). The top comes off 'by itself' now. I may have invited this carrying it in my pocket?

FWIW I had the same problem with the FM Aura early on. Two MPs cracked on me when they first came out, a later change seems to have fixed it as I had no further problems once PIU got the updated part to me. Perhaps the same sort of issue is happening here, but I don't notice guys in this thread reporting it?

It still works, of course, but needs replacing IMO. Since I may have broken it myself, I'm looking to buy a replacement (and a spare in case), but PIU doesn't carry them (yet?). I emailed them and will let you good folks know how it works out.

OF
The mouthpiece cracking is a known issue and Boundless should now have the new mouthpieces in. They have stated you will get replacement mouthpieces till its fixed.

OF

The mouthpiece cracking is a known issue and Boundless should now have the new mouthpieces in. They have stated you will get replacement mouthpieces till its fixed.

Ah, so. Thanks for that. Hopefully I'm about to get the improved type. If not this time I'm sure PIU will see I'm eventually using a dependable one. Such things happen, of course, but sure is nice to have PIU on your side when it catches up with you.

OF

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
I think of this device. He has other defects besides cracking? It looks quite good ..

kilrtjat,
Reactions: OF

OF

I think of this device. He has other defects besides cracking? It looks quite good ..

I'm not ready to call the cracking a defect to worry about, the new MP is working just fine. And the cracked one still works fine (the seal is done by the inner, rubber insert that holds the screen). Since I bought it from PIU I'm confident that should this one crack it will be promptly replaced as well.

That aside, I think the CFC has a lot to offer. The bowl is larger than typical and oval so there's a lot of material in contact with hot walls to make vapor. Big clouds are possible, and due to the high power heater warm up is very fast. The oven is completely glazed (coated in glass), so it's very easy to keep clean. Excellent battery life as well.

Perhaps not the best shape, but it's a 'form follows function' thing I think.

And the price is lower than many/most. Lots of 'bang for the buck'.

OF

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
I'm not ready to call the cracking a defect to worry about, the new MP is working just fine. And the cracked one still works fine (the seal is done by the inner, rubber insert that holds the screen). Since I bought it from PIU I'm confident that should this one crack it will be promptly replaced as well.

That aside, I think the CFC has a lot to offer. The bowl is larger than typical and oval so there's a lot of material in contact with hot walls to make vapor. Big clouds are possible, and due to the high power heater warm up is very fast. The oven is completely glazed (coated in glass), so it's very easy to keep clean. Excellent battery life as well.

Perhaps not the best shape, but it's a 'form follows function' thing I think.

And the price is lower than many/most. Lots of 'bang for the buck'.

OF
thanks for advice. I am deciding between CFC, grasshoppers, goboof alfa..difficult choice.

kilrtjat,

OF

thanks for advice. I am deciding between CFC, grasshoppers, goboof alfa..difficult choice.

Sorry, can't help you much there, I don't have either of those two. I was following GH for a while but got turned off to all the delays, false claims (like battery life 20X what actually happened?) and the quality/failure rate. IMO it's just too marginal. I understand that when they work well they're great, but you can't really count on them.......not a good feature in a vape. For my money the DC Gen 2 herb cart and an appropriate TC mod is cheaper, easier to get and FAR more reliable if you're in a hurry? Also in the 'grab a quick hit or two on the sly and get on with life' class is the Summit, also worth consideration if that sort of thing interests you.

Otherwise, I think you can't really go too far wrong with the CVC. I used mine yesterday and no doubt will again today. It's still got plenty of charge (nice battery 'meter' which many don't have) I just couldn't make up my mind which strain to load. Now that is a difficult choice.......

OF

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
Thanks for your patience. I still have a question .. what is the flavor? does not feel plastic or some other flavor?

kilrtjat,

OF

Thanks for your patience. I still have a question .. what is the flavor? does not feel plastic or some other flavor?

Not any more. There was a slight taste of plastic as well as the rubber insert at the very first. A couple of burn offs got it down to the level I could barely notice when hot. After a couple of sessions, the inside is now coated with condensate so it tastes of the herb only at this point.

This is, I think, because there's no practical conduction heating in the MP, it's all convection, so the temperature is never above say 400F no matter what you do using it.

Not to worry, the taste is fine. Perhaps not up to 'all glass' vapes like Solo, but nothing to disqualify it IMO.

OF

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
So. I ordered it. For 78 US dollars have convinced me. I'm very curious.

kilrtjat,

OF

So. I ordered it. For 78 US dollars have convinced me. I'm very curious.

Sucked in another one!!! This is getting easier and easier......

Seriously, for just a moment, I'll bet you'll be happy with it. Impressive little guy, I used mine again yesterday. It needs charging (later.....) and refilling of course but it's been half a dozen or more loads and it's still plenty clean to sail again. The glazed ceramic is a big plus there, but the SS mesh also resists fouling very well. It's suspended in the rubber gasket so I'm thinking that the plate heats by convection and most of the condensate evaporates off again? For whatever reason, not fouling is a nice thing......

OF

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
So the device is at home. I have to say that my satisfaction is prevalent. How many degrees do you vaporize? I am trying 190,195°C and I miss the steam. It's much better than a paper.

kilrtjat,

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
So after a while I have to say that this is an interesting device. Good battery life. Quality super design. Rapid heating. The mouthpiece is in use quite hot. It bothers us a bit. It would be better that the device was not with tapered mouthpiece. If the height of the material (gap), I think plastic would not warm up. Great charging via microUSB. I use at 195°C (383°F). Steam is not very powerful from the mouth, but it can feel it. I imagined a stronger steam, but the material works well. He is not burned.

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
I picked up a CFC early in January '17. On paper it seemed great, but from the first times I used it I disliked that the Mouthpiece got so fricken' hot. I didn't even turn it up very high, 400°F tops. I also noticed cracking.

However, the Splintering/Cracking has been recognized as a flaw that came from a way of moulding the mouthpiece (the way it's made). Boundless have since changed the position of the injection moulds and it should now be more resistant to cracking.

I contacted their Helpdesk and once they get them back in stock, they offered to send me the new version. My experience with their CS has been mixed, but after this I'm more optimistic.

It really is a nice little device and the micro-USB charging is very practical.

Appearantly they're working on a WPA but that's only been mentioned in passing in a livestream, nothing concrete yet. Also afaik no plans on other material for the mouthpiece.

I've thought of using some type of silicone or I don't know, some liquid that hardens and is heat resistant once dried (can you tell how much of a handy-man I am?) that I would fill into the gap around the Airpath in the Mouthpiece, to maybe counteract the heat. But It's never been that important to me since I have my Solo that has been my daily driver for give or take 5 years without any issues, and I had a bunch of exams etc. that somehow always where of higher priority.

Has anyone modified the Mouthpiece yet? Or have a DIY alternative?

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
I had some spare silicone tube lying around from my EQ, so I decided to try a fix for the heat from the Mouthpiece. Just taped it up - functionality over form - so it's not winning any awards, but it doesn't get as hot. The vapor itself isn't cooled or anything, obviously, but you can take longer draws. I'm not sure if that's the best way to get a lot of vapour though yet, needs more testing ;)

Here's a pic
DJfTKVs.jpg

Like I said - very quick and improvised.
I think the Tape also is holding the entire thing together so hopefully it won't crack appart.

This could be prettier, of course. You could measure everthing and use black tape/tubing - at first I also had one of the glass mouthpieces that came with the EQ in it, which makes it very nice to sip on.
This one:
exq-012-mth-wp-arizer-extreme-q-glass-mouthpiece-for-whip-1.442.jpg

I don't really use the cfc at the moment, so I'll see if something like this is even necessary with the new version of the MP.

Does anyone use a certain technique on the CFC?

UnevenPizza,
Reactions: CHIDOY

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Here is a pic of the new Mouthpiece:

aVKRzGA.jpg

Source: Was attached in reply to a Ticket I filed through their helpdesk. Custemer Service was very nice and replied within at least 24 hours.

Note the 2 "new" moulds on the top (left and right of where you apply your mouth). This could be used to tell if you're getting a new (updated) one when you buy one in a store. Not sure if any have been shipped out yet, but I know SOME shops will tell you anything you want to hear just to make a sell (For example 'Yeah sure these are the new Mouthpieces') even though they might not know.

Just for clarity, here is the Original Mouthpiece:

CFC-teardown-2.jpg

Photo Credit: from Puffitup.com's teardown (http://blog.puffitup.com/2017/03/boundless-cfc-all-torn-down/)

You can see there are no indents on the top of the Mouthpiece.
I recommend checking out the teardown just because it's cool and you might learn something.

Also, I've been using the CFC a bit more now (the Frankensteins Monster Version I posted above) and have to say it's actually pretty nice, it does gets very hot on the outside of where the Heating Chamber is though, but you can hold it up to about where the screen is without much warmth (if any). But the Vapor itself is not nearly as hot, could be because of the few inches of silicon tubing, but I'll of course post updates when I get the new MP.

Usually one Session (until autoshutoff kicks in, about 4 Minutes) is enough to turn any material inside light brown, even on the top, and usually there isn't noticeably more vapor if you resume it at the same temp. If you go higher you may notice more.

You also have to hold the power button for a few seconds for it to 'wake' from auto-shutoff. The screen will turn on if you only press it once or hold it briefly, but the temperature doesn't increase. You really gotta hold it until you see the temp climb back up to your previous setting. Just figured that might be good to know, because I was a bit confused at first (thought I had turned it back on but suddenly it was off again).

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Cool Review!

I got my new Mouthpiece in the Mail a few weeks ago, but haven't used it since, because I got my E-Nano the same day ;)

It feels a bit sturdier.

I rigged up the old MP into a WPA, looks very gritty but function trumps form!

oMHZFhU.jpg

I also noticed some melting/bubbles/deformation on the Base units groves, I guess this is due to the heat from the heating chamber on the inside.

nmzJD5s.jpg

I'll try it out in a few days, got final exams coming up so research is currently suspended.

I don't remember how the original MP felt, but the new one "feels" like it's snapping on to the Base tighter. Hope it stays that way.
One of the complaints/issues I read about a while back was that the MP would dislodge/fall off while carrying the Unit in a Pocket (possibly caused by skinny jeans? ;p)
I always carried mine in a backpack pocket, so it was pretty secure.

I did consider a little bag for transportation though, haven't found quite what I'm looking for though. Something along the lines of a Flashlight/Torch pocket. Just big enough for the CFC to fit in snug, sealable, and with minimal amounts of padding/cushions.

Also was thinking of dipping the MP into some kind of clear coat or something that would absorb the heat, but I still need to reasearch that a bit. Don't wanna be inhaling toxic fumes.

Will post again if I make progress!

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
"Boundless CFC 2.0 is the improved incarnation of the all-time favourite Boundless CFC."

I don't remember any polls or questionairres about that :hmm:

I hate having things I paid for just sit around, try to use 'em. For the CFC I kind of see it as a conduction semi-on demand vape, to be used through a water path. The dry vapor is something I'd only put up with if I needed a stealthy, pocketable vape on the go, and it wouldn't be too bad if I had to ditch it.

The only problem is, I haven't found a WPA for it yet. I guess I'll make my own with silicone, or something else. I think you could also use some kind of reducer to make the chamber smaller (like with one of the PAX mouthpieces) and potentially use less material, possibly getting just one big hit.

It heats up real fast, and gets real hot, so maybe there's potential.
Since I have my Air 2 and nano I don't usually think about using the CFC. Hope they adress some issues with the CFC 2.

uhranium

just wondering, how is the draw restriction on the CFC 2.0? I am looking for a vape for my gf and she does not like the restricted fenix airflow, does not want my old solo 1.0 and is not interested in a pricey S&B device, so we came up with the CFC somehow..

uhranium,
Top Bottom